Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I know I'm a little late for Jarrettchat, but I'm not a fan either. I couldn't get into him as a top guy in WCW even when I was ten years old. The fact that all of his matches seemed to end in a ref distraction and a guitar hit just annoyed me really, and not in the "good" way.

I've heard that he's a nice guy himself. I know the OSW Review guys are quite high on him from personal experiences. Even I have a soft spot for the Chyna feud (guilty pleasure, I admit). But, I always think back to the Nitro after - I think - he wins the title at Spring Stamepede 2000 (Kimberly betrayed DDP by hitting him with, wait for it, the guitar!!): he, Russo and all their cronies are in the ring for a promo. Balloons are released from the ceiling, which is bad enough because the sounds of the audience popping them end up drowning out some of the talking, but then Jarrett and Russo just get into a pointless whingy segment about how JR (who they name-drop) was holding Jarrett's clearly immense talent back in WWE. It's like, one, is this your best material for making a new champion, and two, WHO CARES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrBling posted:

Uhm, Sid was the master and ruler of the universe. Of course he's going to be powerful.

Excuse ME, but Sid was one-half of The Masters of the Powerbomb.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember when somebody posted a screenshot of the roster for a WWF game and I was just like

Ghostpilot posted:

As if I hadn't already shown that I'm old, here's WWF Wrestlefest!

:smith: poo poo, a third of those guys are dead.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Halloween Jack posted:

Half.

Hawk, Crush, Earthquake, Mr Perfect, Warrior & Bossman.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Of course the mountie is in it. They really didnt have anyone else to put in his place either.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer refused to put Sting in his precious Hall of Fame after The Real Reason Men Commit Crimes, hopefully Shutterspeed will change his mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esvz5jy52Wo

8 PM Tonight.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember when somebody posted a screenshot of the roster for a WWF game and I was just like

I actually (half-) own that game. A friend and I bought the cabinet from our local Arcade, lovely Pizza & Animatronic Animals place when it went out of business.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

DoctorDelaware posted:

I actually (half-) own that game. A friend and I bought the cabinet from our local Arcade, lovely Pizza & Animatronic Animals place when it went out of business.

It's better than owning the lovely Midway one.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yup, I had this game. It was only okay but had a really decent roster considering the time period.

Hogan looks like one of those horrifying unidentified victim head busts from doenetwork.com

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Why was the YET-AY obviously a mummy? He was Bischoff's friend. Bischoff wanted a mummy, Kevin Sullivan said no mummies and made him the YET-AY. Why did he dry hump Hogan? A rib. Why did they care about making the YET-AY happy?

He owned the name "Big Sexy" and licensed it to Kevin Nash.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 23, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Why was the YET-AY obviously a mummy? He was Bischoff's friend. Bischoff wanted a mummy, Kevin Sullivan said no mummies and made him the YET-AY. Why did he dry hump Hogan? A rib. Why did they care about making the YET-AY happy?

Is this from Sullivan's podcast?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Is this from Sullivan's podcast?

Yeah. It's actually really good. It's just him and MSL and they've actually been working together for years.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Didn't they make him a mummy because it was originally going to be El Gigante and they wanted to conceal his identity?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

Didn't they make him a mummy because it was originally going to be El Gigante and they wanted to conceal his identity?

That's just what Bryan Alvarez has been speculating since he watched it again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another good one: The Orlando WCW tapings were pretty much one giant party for the boys. Bill DeMott called in and said he couldn't come to work because he was out all night and was still drunk. Kevin said whatever, at least you told the truth and hangs up. He goes over to Arn Anderson and says "Hugh Morrus can't come in, he said was out till 4 last night." Arn says "gently caress him, I was out till 5:30!" :wcw:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another good one: The Orlando WCW tapings were pretty much one giant party for the boys. Bill DeMott called in and said he couldn't come to work because he was out all night and was still drunk. Kevin said whatever, at least you told the truth and hangs up. He goes over to Arn Anderson and says "Hugh Morrus can't come in, he said was out till 4 last night." Arn says "gently caress him, I was out till 5:30!" :wcw:

I remember Jim Mitchell's best rat stories were centered around those tapings.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

So, it's like giving The Maestro a job because they wanted the Gorgeous George name that was legally his?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Say Nothing posted:

So, it's like giving The Maestro a job because they wanted the Gorgeous George name that was legally his?

Which then raises the question on was there a better entrance than a guy coming down from the rafters playing a piano?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Maestro was related to George, but I thought Savage acquired the rights to the name for his girlfriend himself?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The Croc posted:

Which then raises the question on was there a better entrance than a guy coming down from the rafters playing a piano?
Hatching from a giant egg?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Thauros posted:

Maestro was related to George, but I thought Savage acquired the rights to the name for his girlfriend himself?

He acquired the rights to give to his brother Lanny, but WCW never bothered to book him for anything so Savage just gave it to his girlfriend.

It should be noted that Lanny Poffo was employed by WCW for 5 years and was receiving paychecks for doing absolutely nothing.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

I remember Jim Mitchell's best rat stories were centered around those tapings.

The best of which involved Jim and an obese, manly-looking black lady who he called Abdullah the Butch.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aku posted:

It should be noted that Lanny Poffo was employed by WCW for 5 years and was receiving paychecks for doing absolutely nothing.

So he had the best job in WCW?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Ultragonk posted:

So he had the best job in WCW?

Maybe. Then again Scott Steiner started fights with other wrestlers and said his employers sucked on live TV, and his punishments were usually paid vacations. I'd think that'd be the best job for someone like him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Could Scott Steiner take Meng? :ohdear:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Could Scott Steiner take Meng? :ohdear:

Maybe out to dinner and a movie. :haw:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Red posted:

Maybe out to dinner and a movie. :haw:

he would take Meng to cracker barrel

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tank Abbot was not afraid of fighting in UFC. He could take Meng.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Tank Abbot was not afraid of fighting in UFC. He could take Meng.

Tank Abbott also ended his career getting sat on by another fat man in some dude's backyard.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
SUPERBRAWL IS ON NOW!

Your main event, the biggest rematch in history:

Hulk Hogan vs Sting for the vacant World Heavyweight Title

for the US title

Chris Benoit vs DDP (c)

MASK VS TITLE

Juventud Guerrera vs Chris Jericho (c)

THE STREAK IS ON THE LINE

Brad Armstrong vs Goldberg (s)

Disco Inferno vs La Parka

for the tag titles

The Outsiders vs the Steiners (c)

Randy Savage vs Lex Luger

for the TV title

Booker T vs Rick Martel (c)

immediately followed by the winner defending

vs Saturn

PLUS YOUR INTERNATIONAL DREAM MATCH

THE BRITISH BULLDOG VS THE TEXAS RATTLESNAKE MONGO

It's all tonight at 8 PM. We're out of Cowboy Who? so there won't be much of a preshow.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aku posted:

He acquired the rights to give to his brother Lanny, but WCW never bothered to book him for anything so Savage just gave it to his girlfriend.

It's kinda sweet that Randy always looked out for his brother. drat, WCW, at least have the dude manage someone or something.

Randy and Lanny ever have a match together in either WWF or WCW? You'd think it'd at least have some great promos.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

coconono posted:

Tank Abbott also ended his career getting sat on by another fat man in some dude's backyard.

this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSDh47uhKQ

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I would pay a substantial amount of money to watch Tank Abbott fight Dan Quinn.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legitimately better than most of tank's wcw matches

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tank's MMA record: 10 wins, 15 losses.
He was about as good at pro wrestling as he was at MMA.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Der-Wreck posted:

he would take Meng to cracker barrel

I'm pretty sure cracker barrel and waffle house are the only restaurants wrestlers are legally allowed to eat it. Other than ribera steakhouse, but that's more of the wrestling eatery mecca

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Die Laughing posted:

It's kinda sweet that Randy always looked out for his brother. drat, WCW, at least have the dude manage someone or something.

Randy and Lanny ever have a match together in either WWF or WCW? You'd think it'd at least have some great promos.

They tag-teamed together a lot in MACW (a Jim Crockett pre-WCW fed) and in Memphis from the mid-80s to the early 80s as Randy and Lanny Poffo.

After Randy started billing himself as Randy Savage, Lanny defeated him once in a singles match in Memphis, and Randy won a battle royal in which Lanny also wrestled.

In the WWF, Randy won a battle royal that Lanny also wrestled in in 1987. So Lanny is 1-0 against Randy, but not in WWF/WCW.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

They tag-teamed together a lot in MACW (a Jim Crockett pre-WCW fed) and in Memphis from the mid-80s to the early 80s as Randy and Lanny Poffo.

After Randy started billing himself as Randy Savage, Lanny defeated him once in a singles match in Memphis, and Randy won a battle royal in which Lanny also wrestled.

In the WWF, Randy won a battle royal that Lanny also wrestled in in 1987. So Lanny is 1-0 against Randy, but not in WWF/WCW.

1-0 vs Randy Savage and 1-0 vs Hulk Hogan. I wonder if anyone else has managed that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The answer is Charlie Cook! He's 1-0-1 against Super Destroyer and 1-0-2 against Randy Savage.

Sting has never lost a singles match to Hogan and he's 4-2 against Randy.

Tony Atlas is 2-0 with Hogan and 4-1-1 with Randy.

Austin Idol is 1-0-2 with Hogan and 4-2-1 with Randy.

Brocklesnar is 1-0 against Hogan and undefeated against people named Randy.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't know what you're talking about hulk hogan totally won clean at starrcade 97 to a regular 3 count until that big crybaby bret hart had the match restarted and screwed him