Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Instead of a WWE 24/7 that almost no one has, they should just introduce a Netflix-esque service that lets you watch old TV shows and such, as well as rent/digitally buy old PPVs.

On WCW, I remember my friend telling me about weird poo poo, like them having funerals for guys like Goldberg and others who left the company, and all I can think is "What the poo poo?" I started watching in 1996, and kept going until mid-2001 or so. I remember some ridiculous stuff, like Tank Abott pulling a knife on someone, Russo being World Champion, and Jeff Jarret's GUITARS loving EVERYWHERE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm torn between the commentary on this match. The four guys in the ring (La Parka, Silver King, Ciclopse and Damien 666) are trying to put on a good hardcore match, but Tenay and Heenan are having the biggest giggle fit I've ever seen during a wrestling match.

It's like NXT, but somehow worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksvEZ1o6ps

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It sounds like they're already goofy from all the stupid poo poo that happened before that match on that episode at the beginning so it's probably one of those instances where you just say 'gently caress it, how much worse could it get?"

That was a really fun match that I'd never seen before so thanks for posting it. Some crazy luchador chair shots going on there.

That spot where LaParka powerbombed Damien into two setup chairs that had no give at all looked brutal.
Damien and Ciclopse wrestle hardcore matches all the time. They still do, in fact so if you're looking for more of those kinds of matches they're all over XPW and occasionally CZW

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

El Patron posted:

That's not Tenay, that's Schiavone and Heenan.

Never seen that match before, thanks for posting.
I was trying to go off memory because I'm at work. I'm upset that Tony is burring the cruiser-weights then, because that seemed to be the reason why they brought him in. To call flippy moves.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

You have your Tenays and Tonys mixed up. Tenay was brought in to talk about the luchadores, Tony is the long time play by play guy who laughs at luchadores getting hurt.
Yeah, that's exactly what happened. :downs:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I remember that back in 99, I used to point to this match as why I liked WCW better than WWF. This match blew my 14-year-old mind.

...But yeah, commentary sucks.
WCW was definately putting on the better undercard matches in terms of wrestling. DDP/Raven/Benoit from Uncensored is one of my all-time favorite matches, and there were a ton of great curiserweight matches between all the out-standing talent they had there.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Raven was exactly where he needed to be in WCW. He was great, and one of the most over midcarders in the company, but there just wasn't enough room for him in a company where Sting, Hogan, the NWO, and Goldberg were the top guys.

If none of those guys were the main event, DDP, Raven, Benoit, Jericho, Booker T and El Dandy could have been the best main event scene in either company as far as character and wrestling ability went.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The thing that stood out the most to me in Backstage Assault was inferno matches. Not only was the object to throw your opponent into a burning trash can/burn them with a flaming 2x4, they stayed burning after the match. So having two girls in those matches was especially dark, and I was wonder why the poo poo they thought that was a good idea in any manner.

I never did any silly renaming in Revenge or No Mercy, I must not have been playing the right way. I was always OCD about trying to keep everyone costumes up to date though, changing them every single RAW and Smackdown.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Going back to WCW discussion, WWE Classic on Demand preview of the NWO with panel composed of Kevin Nash, JJ Dillion, Jim Ross, and Michael P.S. (Piece of poo poo) Hayes with Mean Gene as the moderator.

Unsurprisingly like the other panels, Michael Hayes doesn't shut the gently caress up about things he was never involved in and interrupts everyone. gently caress him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CM82u_hT0

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

triplexpac posted:

People say Eric had one good idea, but holding off Sting & Hogan was really well done. It showed patience you don't see anymore. Not sure how much of that was him, but since he was in charge at the time I assume he could have made the match happen whenever he wanted.
I remember legitimately thinking that Hogan/Sting at Starrcade was going to truly be the Match of the Century. It should have been, with all that hype and build, but Hulk Hogan's politics, and the faux-screw job/Bret Hart entirely hosed the match up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CaptainRapesAlot posted:

Did they actually air that on PPV unedited, with no bleeps?
I remember Vince Russo vividly calling Hulk Hogan the poo poo on the bottom of his shoes, live and unedited.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

I think I have all the '92 PPVs lying around the house somewhere.

Maybe I should play WCW Russian Roulette - Either i'll draw Sting/Jake or Pillman/Liger or just something incredibly bland.
I think I just figured out why none of WCW or TNA makes sense, and it might have something to do with a table game called "Russo Roulette"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Moose Bigelow posted:

Yes but when your company has a history of racial insensitivity you should show some semblance of avoiding it if you can.
It's cool, Aja is half black. Wait, I think that makes it worse. :stare:

I don't remember Aja in WCW though, just Medusa. I remember hearing of Aja in the WWF though. When was she around WCW and was it worth watching?

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 18, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

CarlCX posted:

I remember the internet flipping out when Liger showed up with the IWGP Junior Heavyweight belt in WCW. I also remember the internet flipping out even more dramatically in the opposite direction when he lost the title to Juvi smashing him over the head with a bottle of tequila.

It was pretty infuriating at the time, but now I just think it's really, really funny.
I went and looked up Psychosis vs Liger because that sounds like it should have been pretty awesome. I was pretty surprised to see an un-masked Psychosis competing in the match.

I cannot exactly remember what the fetish that WCW had with unmasking their Lucha stars. Not only was it loving them up in Mexico when they all returned, but there's only been two cases where unmasking a Luchadore has benefited, that I can remember. Juvi, who's mask was loving ugly and Dos Caras Jr, who has a great look as ADR.

Psicosis had an awesome costume and mask, and it makes me a bit sad to see him wrestle unmasked. I remember watching ONS live, and seeing the entire Hammerstein Ballroom poo poo all over that match, because Psicosis took his mask off and Rey did the 619.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Van Hammer wasn't even the most forgettable guy in the flock :psyduck:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

DreamingApe posted:

from the top of my head, ravens flock consisted of:

Raven (duh)
Perry Saturn
Van Hammer
Lodi
Scotty Riggs
Sickboy
Reese
Kidman
Kanyon

I think Sickboy wins as the most forgettable member of the Flock. I can't even remember him wrestling.

edit: somehow I always confuse Kurrgan and Reese.
I could remember every flock member except for Sickboy, so that pretty much proves the point, since I was going for Reese or Riggs.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

So people like to bash WCW here and a lot of times they have completely legitimate reasons for it.

However, some people come and read here growing up with the WWF and they really don't understand just how good WCW could be.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ucaq_rey-mysterio-jr-vs-eddie-guerrero_sport

This is where everything about WCW was great. The match was best of the year. The announce team puts over the wrestlers and the match huge. The crowd is hot for the action. They get a solid amount of time to tell a story.

This was WCW at its best.
There's no doubt that WCW had some of the absolute best undercard/mid-card action of the entire 90's during the Monday Night wars. The matches were fantastic

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The BDK wasn't a true invasion but Chikara booked them well for a year.

The end of 2010 is the finish. It just took another year to fully wind down.
The BDK started to fall apart for reasons other than dead-end booking. Lince got fired by Quack for no-showing an event (Yet appearing on video, un-masked that same weekend with X-Pac), Ares stopped making it to most of the shows, Pinkie Sanchez disappeared, and Claudio was signed by the WWE.

But still, people looked tremendous through the end of it all. Tursas and Donst have improved so much since the start, and Jakob is a pretty entertaining rookie. It isn't like Quackenbush, Kingston, and Jigsaw just barreled through the faction and buried everyone like you would have expected in most other promotions.

Lince Dorado was entertaining to me for the first time when joining the BDK, and Pinkie Sanchez was putting on possibly the best stuff in the indies that year. I think the BDK helped everyone but possibly Daizee Haze.

Most other invasions don't help hardly anyone.

e: It didn't help Jigsaw. Nothing can help Jigsaw, not even Manami Toyota.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 13, 2011

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I stopped watching wrestling for about a year and a half-two years, and I missed the Invasion. :smith:

People keep telling me it's terrible, but I just don't want to believe.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

the_Vandal posted:

Was Kidman's gimmick when he was in the Flock that he was on heroin? Also, was Sick Boy called that because he was dopesick?
It was implied, yes.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Oatgan posted:

All the members of The Flock sortof made sense except for Reese who was an outcast because he was really tall.
He use to be the Ye-Tay. That's what made him an outcast. I'd be afraid to face society too.

Bocc Kob posted:

Was Saturn's problem that he randomly suplexed the poo poo out of people?
We all know Saturn's problem :smith:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Red posted:

10. How did nWo Japan explain the nWo angle to fans in Japan? That nWo guys from the U.S. were invading Japan, and some Japanese guys were helping them, or what?
Although the NWO more or less started in spirit in New Japan anyway, one night Chono tore off his shirt and revealed he's joined the NWO. When he got back to Japan, a bunch of his stable-mates also joined the NWO-Japan team, and the Americans who joined NWO-Japan were also a lot of popular Gaijin from the US already (Brian Adams, Scott Norton, ect)

quote:

9. Towards the end of WCW, guys like Kid Romeo, Mike Modest and Christopher Daniels ended up getting on TV. Was this WCW genuinely looking for new stars, desperately trying new things, just randomly throwing poo poo at the wall, or were they hurting for names/faces/wrestlers to fill air time?
They were both rapidly losing stars, and desperately trying to find new stars to see what stuck. It's weird, but guys like Jamie Noble and Super Dragon were part of WCW during the dying days.

quote:

8. I forget the timing: was Booker T saddled with poo poo like GI Bro and Harlem Heat 2000 just as he was about to go main event level, or before he really got over with the crowd? It seems like the sort of thing the paranoid guys on top would do to sabotage someone.
:russo: Booker T defiantly got the Harlem Heat 2000 and GI Bro stuff before he won his first title.

quote:

7. They knew Benoit wanted to leave, but still put him over Sid and gave him the belt, and had all the guys come out from the locker room to watch, giving the match the 'big event' feeling. He quit the next day anyway, so... why the exercise in futility? Was Benoit leaving still in doubt after all?
The problem was the creative/booking team at the time threatening to murder Benoit. Yeah. Seriously.

quote:

4. Who was basically dead in the water when McMahon bought WCW? Konnan (for Max Moon), Jeff Jarrett (for *NOT* holding up the WWF to job to Chyna), Rick Rude (for showing up on a live Nitro during a taped Raw, or was he dead by then?), Lex Luger (for showing up on the first Nitro/ditching WWF), Shane Douglas (LOL) and who else? Or am I making large assumptions?
A mixed bag. Vince McMahon had bought out couple of contracts. Some people refused to work for him and just took the money to sit their contracts out. Others, like Sting or Flair had contracts with TBS instead of WCW itself, so they too decided not to work for McMahon and get free paychecks. Then there are others that McMahon simply didn't want to employ.

quote:

2. Who were some guys that WCW booked better than the WWF/E, your opinion? (Mine: Raven, DDP, Goldberg, Jericho, Malenko)
Anyone that isn't Booker T that came from WCW were better off before. Especially looking at mid-carders, like Psicosis who got turned into a bad stereotype.

quote:

1. Did WCW make a ton of money from that giant two or three day stadium show with Japan in North Korea, or was it a wash, or what?
They made quite a bit, actually. North Korea paid a lot for WCW.

quote:

0 (gently caress you, zero is a number). From the inception of the nWo (early/mid-1996) until the end, how many different belts/championships did WCW have? (Was the "Lord of the Ring" (King of the Ring ripoff) in that period, or before?)
Heavyweight
US Championship
Television Championship
Cruiserweight
Hardcore
Tag-Team
Cruiserweight Tag-Team
Women's Championship
Women's Cruiserweight Championship

Some of those bizarre looking titles took place in the late 90's when WCW was doing really stupid/weird things, and keep in mind that the NWO lasted a really loving long time.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Suben posted:

Is there even any footage of Super Dragon in WCW? I've never been able to actually find any.
The single clip I've seen is of Super Dragon doing a plancha in a tag-team match on Thunder. It's in the MV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBMgbTCJbKA

e: Looks like it didn't air so it might have been a tryout match.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

simosimo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PD9NHuQTls

Anyone have this as a kid?

Oh god, I did. Then I lost most of the pieces, and like all childhood memories, my mother just gave them to the salvation army one day I wasn't home.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

I don't think Hogan coerced the ref or anything, it was just typical Bischoff over thinking the angle and typical WCW incompetence.

Plus, it's not like Hogan made Sting look like a million bucks in the preceding ten minutes before the fall.
Well, the story is that Hulk Hogan paid off Nick Patrick to intentionally count normal to make it look like he legitimately beat Sting without shenanigans, before Bret Hart would come out. If that were true, he made Hart look like a total fool for coming in and saying there weren't going to be any screwjobs while he were around.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ktik posted:

I know the NWO had about 392 different members, but can anyone here run down maybe why, real life or wrestling life, reasons why they joined that group? Like why the hell did Macho Man join them after feuding with them for a year? Why was Bryan Adams a member? Why did they let Stevie Ray into the NWO?
There's no reason for a majority of those guys, they just wanted to put them over and at the time the best way was putting them into the NWO

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

oldpainless posted:

You better not turn your back on them though.
The last show before Souled Out in 1999, my first ever PPV, they turned on Sting :v:

All those Wolfpac signs I made, and T-Shirts I bought were for nothing!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

No, sir. Sting joined the Wolfpac in summer of 98, feuded with Bret Hart at Halloween Havoc, then disappeared from the end of that match to just before Spring Stampede '99. The Wolfpac never got the chance to turn on Sting.
They turned on someone. Maybe it was K-Dogg.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I just heard David Flair say "He [Hogan] treats me like a father" :v:

:siren: Beetle Adventure RRRRRRRACING :siren:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dickeye posted:

Word. I'll figure it out in the next few days. I'll either do it next Saturday or in three weeks.
Best bet is to upload it to YouTube with a non-serchable name and hope that the WWE doesn't auto-detect something within it and block it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

IGN wrestling, which I read quite a bit in 2000, had said that Jarrett got injured during Superfly`s splash from the top of the cage at the time. It doesn`t look like it was botched in the video, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn2Nywg7Bzw

Still a stupid, stupid spot.
Jimmy Snuka's top-cage splash is what inspired Mick Foley to wrestle :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I was talking more about the headbutt.
Well, most things Benoit does are uncomfortable, looking back. I remember Chris Benoit & Mike Enos opening WCW Souled Out and Benoit giving him knife-edge chops so hard that Enos was bleeding. I don't think I've seen that happen in Japan, and Kobashi can cut down trees with his hands.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Karmine posted:

Do you think that Austin won the 95 KotR or that they were trying to make Mabel the biggest star ever?
Mabel was pretty drat huge.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

La Parka was a Luchadore in the sense he was from Mexico and had a mask, but he certainly wasn't a Cruiserweight. If you haven't seen La Parka lately as L.A. Park, he has had some amazing, bloody feuds with La Messias (Judas Mesias from TNA) and La Parka (The AAA wrestler who inherited his name).

I was kind of surprised finding out that La Parka had transitioned into such an incredible brawler/hardcore wrestler. Maybe I shouldn't since he always carried around a chair, but his stuff post WCW was excellent.

La Parka went on to put on some great matches against ECW guys in the MLW promotion, but almost every single video is taken down. I'm going to see if I can find and reupload them, because his match against Sabu was surprisingly amazing.

La Parka & Silver King vs Damien 666 & Cicolpe (The Brain and Tony absolutely lose their poo poo in this match)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksvEZ1o6ps

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Danshoku Dino does stuff that Goldust could only dream of in Japan and is one of the most over wrestlers in that company. If it's done well, people love it. If it isn't, people hate it. I don't think that Goldust was done well at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9ohr7TfE0

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

My favorite WCW wrestler was Glacier. Who's yours?
Psicosis, Randy Savage, and Raven.

coconono posted:

6 sided ring, traditionally used in lucha trios matches. That was the one thing that I fell in love with TNA for. Then Hulk Hogan took it away. I will never forgive him for that.

One thing Hogan gets a pass for, IMO, is The Nasty Boys. they're awful human beings but they put on some really entertaining garbage matches.
Well yeah, but only in WCW when the Hardcore Matches were fun to watch. Screamin' Norman was great.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

coconono posted:

:eng101: The WCW 'hardcore' matches weren't really hardcore matches they were more comedy matches with lots of plunder. They weren't trying to maim or hurt the other guy, just hit them with as much stuff in the allotted time.

We should really have a PYF plunder match thread because those are magical beasts.
Mexican Hardcore Lucha Match.

Plunder matches are so great though. So many great ones to chose from.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Can you make a list of people who Tony liked?
Mark Madden, for being a worse commentator than he is.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

The wasted a hell of a lot on Michael Buffer, who should have only shown up every once in a while to make a big match feel bigger. Not every single Nitro main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Zybysko versus Eric "Eazy E" Bischoff at Starcade '97 is an abomination.
WCW very briefly recovered, probably only due to Bill Goldberg's success, as well as the mid-card getting much better. But god drat I have never seen a company blow such an important moment before. Sting couldn't win clean, and then he was stripped of the title a few days later, acting completely out of character by attacking a referee?

gently caress whoever gave Hulk Hogan creative freedom.