Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

There's enough Canucks on this forum for a thread of our own. gently caress the US Coasties have one, why shouldn't we?

Though in true CF fashion this should be posted using the really old-school BB sofware with one of those modems you had to put the phone receiver on.

Feel free to rant, rave and discuss the present, past and Future of Her Majesty's Canadian Navy, Army and Air Force.

I went to go visit my old Reserves unit last week and there's 30 people on paper for that battery, and 6 people were in attendance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Posting in support of this thread, even though I'm not sure how many CF goons we've got in here.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Postin' in dis thread.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I'm one.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Reporting in. I was thinking of creating a Canadian goon thread. what is everyone trade?

I was infantry injured halfway through battle school now switching to chair force.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

When I was younger I considered joining the Canadian Forces as an officer in the army.

Would I have regretted this decision?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
It all depends. Some people like it and some don't. It also depends on your trade/branch and what you like. Ive seen some people who thought about joining then never did till their mid to late 30's.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008
Fellow CF goon here, medical officer in training at UBC in Vancouver.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

Reporting in. I was thinking of creating a Canadian goon thread. what is everyone trade?

I was infantry injured halfway through battle school now switching to chair force.

Sonar Operator, Master Seaman running a section at a shore facility. It's an OK job.

Passed Aircrew Selection (CFASC) earlier in the year, so hopefully I'll be a 32U (pilot in training) come the spring.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
How terrible is it being a vehicle maintenance tech in the army? I'm almost finished my Apprenticeship, and I'm looking for a secure job. Is it something that would make me hate my life?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frank Dillinger posted:

How terrible is it being a vehicle maintenance tech in the army? I'm almost finished my Apprenticeship, and I'm looking for a secure job. Is it something that would make me hate my life?

Probably not, but I make sure to tell anyone thinking of joining to NOT plan on it as a full career. But there's certainly nothing wrong with taking a few years for the experience; it may drive you crazy so keep an easy out open.

As a skilled tradesman you would presumably get a pretty substantial signing bonus, and likely pushed up to Corporal on the day you graduate basic, so it would be fairly lucrative. That would probably depend on how badly the trade is needs people - I don't have access to the matrices until I go back to work, but it's probably hurting as almost all of them are.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
[

Longsaddle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 26, 2018

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

compressioncut posted:

I'm one.

Nice to see you are still alive.

Having spent more time with Sonar ops in the past few months than ever before I can say your colleagues are a unique bunch.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Nephirim posted:

Cf goon here, former infantry and sigop.

I'm trying to get back into the infantry but everything is closed until april and i'd hate to be a sig pig again.

Yeah oddly enough (not really that odd considering), infantry is one of the very few trades heavily in the green.

Lt. Jebus posted:

Nice to see you are still alive.

Having spent more time with Sonar ops in the past few months than ever before I can say your colleagues are a unique bunch.

They volunteered for submarines and are thus considerably more unique than the rest of us.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Nephirim posted:

Cf goon here, former infantry and sigop.

I'm trying to get back into the infantry but everything is closed until april and i'd hate to be a sig pig again.

It's hard to believe that the infantry is actually "full".

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 14, 2010

Dividend Special
Jul 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

dancin pete posted:

Also, drat those slick recruiters for making me think that searching for mines and IED's would be cool.

seriously, did you enlist thinking "YAY I'M GOING TO BE LOOKING FOR BOMBS!"?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Dividend Special posted:

seriously, did you enlist thinking "YAY I'M GOING TO BE LOOKING FOR BOMBS!"?

If Hurt Locker was any indication than this would not only be fun but you'd get a free 50. cal sniper rifle.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Mar 14, 2010

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
In a little over a week I begin the fun road to becoming a MARS Officer :O

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

dancin pete posted:

CF Combat Engineer goon here.

Been in for 7 years now and after spending 6 of them in Petawawa this town still sucks. Why I didn't choose Edmonton I'll never know.

Also, drat those slick recruiters for making me think that searching for mines and IED's would be cool.

HahahaHAHAHA Pet

Also, R031 (Artilleryman) and R836 (RMS Clerk) when my vision fault was found.

I still state to this day that Wainwright is the rear end in a top hat of all humanity.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

The Amputee House posted:

Oh you poor bastard.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
CF reservist; come summer I have BMQ and SQ for Sigop to look forward to, if they're not already doing the merging-of-trades thing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

dancin pete posted:

Been in for 7 years now and after spending 6 of them in Petawawa this town still sucks. Why I didn't choose Edmonton I'll never know.

Just wanted to say that I've been living in the 3RCR shacks for four years. :(

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

The Amputee House posted:

I've heard that sucks.

johnsonrod fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 14, 2010

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's $50/month rent and I'm getting out within a year so I can't complain too much really. Yeah I was on 3-08. I was with the BGHQ sniper det. I'm fairly familiar with the Wilson engineers, but other than that maybe not. Who knows though.

WOFOC
Nov 22, 2007
OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Inf WO working with the Canadian Rangers out of Victoria. 18 years in. Any CRs on these boards?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Do Rangers have computers?

Just kidding. I've met a few, and they are tough, resourceful SOBs.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

WOFOC posted:

OK, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Inf WO working with the Canadian Rangers out of Victoria. 18 years in. Any CRs on these boards?

I was (almost) deployed on 'OP Pontoon' with a chap from your office. Ex-RAF, now CF officer. Think he does the IT here. Good guy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Ok

After hearing from some other dudes that aren't getting loving COMBAT BOOTS issued to them because there aren't any in stock, I'd like to hear some of your logistics nightmares, just for fun. I don't think OPSEC really applies to most of these.

For EX Maple Defender in 2007, I was working as the Ammo driver for the battery. When I get there, we first find out;

1) Most of our kit hasn't arrived (This was mostly Westjet's issue, couldn't fit our duffles/rucks all onto 1 737. And Wainwright, even in the middle of loving August, was in the minuses in the middle of the night. So we were all sharing snivel gear to try and stay warm

2) The entire ex seemed to have completely forgotten about the artillery. We start drawing our kit on the 2nd day, and find...we have no guns. We're told we might have them...by the 2nd day of the ex.

3) There weren't enough IMPs, and wasn't enough water. Ex organizers had to go to the nearest Costco in Edmonton and buy pallets of bottled water.

4) We were so undermanned that drivers had to pull sentry watch, and not first/last shift, 2 shifts throughout the night. This is a huge loving no-no, and was promptly told to shut the gently caress up when I brought up that I was hauling bullets. When the Adj's driver ran off the road due to sleep deprivation, they changed their tune.

We flew half-way across the loving country for absolutely no benefit. No dismounted patrols. No attacks on our position with the MILES gear. No artillery/mortar attacks, which would have made swapping out the batteries twice a day on the drat gear worth it.

The most action we saw was when range patrol drove onto our position. Because they forgot where we were. A complete and utter clusterfuck in every way.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I was stationed on an Ontario infantry training base.

- I was told I owed the QM a frag vest. First off I had a cadpat one and I gave my olive one back after i got take off course. They just gave me one to give to the training coy QM

- Having to give up my ground sheet because of shortages on training company.

- The military losing my med documents for 4 months. I told the recruiter where they were and what the phone extension was, but they didnt listen to me. I hate recruiters, but I love when I correct them on information they should know.( which happens a lot). Im reenlisting right now.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 4, 2010

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

dancin pete posted:

Trust me, Edmonton and a stint at Cold Lake are no loving better.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Fraser CDN posted:

- The military losing my med documents for 4 months.

This happened to me, but it was closer to a year. I was on a course in Halifax, which had all the students involuntarily screened for submarines (which, incidentally, has not happened since due to the cluster is was...). So, my ship had to send my med docs out to the Halifax base hospital. Then my ship deployed, so I guess they couldn't return the docs or something, and they disappeared into the aether until sometime the following year.

Trying to do an aircrew medical without med docs is pretty difficult, which is to say impossible.

The sub screening thing was also interesting. I was unfit as I can't clear my ears in deep water, and I have a signed form declaring me unfit dive/sub ops/training. But the sub guys in Ottawa would not stop bugging me.

"Have you finished your screening yet?"

"I'm unfit. I have paperwork proving it."

[silence for a few months]

"Have you finished your screening yet?"

And so on for almost exactly 3 years. The last time I finally got a response back, and the guy said he would remove me from his list. We'll see.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Are future troops legit here? I'm joining up in September, maybe earlier. Anything I should expect aside from clusterfucks everywhere?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

Are future troops legit here? I'm joining up in September, maybe earlier. Anything I should expect aside from clusterfucks everywhere?

Start running. And doing pushups, starting now. Make your life much, much, much easier.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MohawkSatan posted:

Make sure you put your packet in early. It took me 9 months for my packet to process for the Reserves; it'll be almost another 9 before I get through BMQ/SQ.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
The system is backed up right now. What use to take 1-2 months takes 3-4.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fraser CDN posted:

The system is backed up right now. What use to take 1-2 months takes 3-4.

Unless you're applying for a priority-1 trade, then your application gets rushed through on christmas eve :cool:

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 5, 2010

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

FuhrerHat posted:

Unless you're applying for a priorty-1 trade, then your application gets rushed through on christmas eve :cool:

Would AC op be one of these? It has a star beside it on the recruitment website, but that information could be 3 years old.

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

FuhrerHat posted:

Unless you're applying for a priorty-1 trade, then your application gets rushed through on christmas eve :cool:

My application to the MOTP got rushed through in two and a half weeks for the selection deadline :cool:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Fraser CDN posted:

Would AC op be one of these? It has a star beside it on the recruitment website, but that information could be 3 years old.

No, they're usually pretty good about updating occupational priorities on the recruiting site.

Edit: Dang, I should've gone for LCIS instead of SigOp. Oh, well, it'll be all the same thing by next year, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Fraser CDN posted:

Not sure, but ACSO had to meet a potential candidate deadline by the new year.

Getting an appointment with a doctor, however, is a whole other story.