Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I liked this movie a lot.

Hopefully you know what you feel you need to know about the plot, so I'll skip to the silly descriptions. I've read reviews calling the movie pretentious, but this is most certainly false. It's the characters who are pretentious, and it's actually a pretty good joke.

I'm having trouble concentrating and I keep hearing gruff Irish voices yelling at me when I close my eyes, but I'll try to cut to the meat of it. The movie marketed itself as the year's Superbad, but really this is '10s own little Adventureland with a dash of Ghost Town as a side. I'm pretty sure Michael Cera is the condiment. It's definitely a funny film, but it doesn't give the bellyaching laughter you'd receive in a Judd Apatow flick. The humor is more of a snarky, clever kind that will have you giggling pretty consistently. Fortunately though, the movie is not carried solely by humor, the story underneath is a charming one with a lovely female lead, although you can smell the indy-ness of the film before even entering the theater. I mean really, just try to count the hipsters in the showing and they'll multiply.

I'm having a very hard time keeping a train of thought rolling and I feel like I'm raving, so I'll end here. I thought the movie was funny and cute in turns, though the ending was very abrupt and a little unsatisfying. Basically,if you're the kind of guy who enjoyed watching adults act like teenagers in (500) Days of Summer, you'll get that same joy out of this movie. My opinion really is pretty worthless though, since I couldn't have been bored with the movie if I'd tried and I'm a teenager to boot (so the movie resonates much more profoundly with me), but everyone in the theater seemed to love it, dirty hipster scumbag though they were.

gently caress, I need to sleep.

4/5

e: Wow, I cleaned that up a bit. Sorry. And for the record, I don't even remember watching the movie. Or ever writing this. Take that as you will.

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Why did they keep introducing so many characters if they're only going to be in the movie for three scenes?

I really wanted to like this movie, but it just didn't do it for me.

2/5 for some good laughs here and there.