Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Just noticed Scrappers on Osprey's online store - post-apocalyptic skirmish. Themed bands - mutants, cyborgs, robots and pure-strain humans (emerging from vaults, natch) - sounds very early Gamma World. Out this April. Writer has written a book about wargames, but I don't know if he's written an actual wargame before which could give insight to how Scrappers would work - personally I just want a decent I-Go-You-Go system that has all models gain experience.

Andrea Sfiligoi is still working on errata and is talking about an add-on book for Rogue Stars. The "Rogue Stars Fanpage" on Facebook has it scattered about, and he's putting up a few new items and abilities.

On Sfiligoli-related stuff, he's got a Kickstarter coming up for an expansion to Mutants and Death Ray Guns, featuring miniatures for Psychic Knights (who use a force of psychic powers, along with Laser-Swords) and a few other figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Coming early next year: Kobolds & Cobblestones - Fantasy Gang Rumbles

I'm excited, but I wonder if they can put together a decent Mordheim-esque game in 64 pages. I think the author was a editor for a war-gaming magazine, and now is at Mantic? This also could be the thing that Northstar is making their Dwarf, Elf and Goblin plastic sets for, maybe?

Edit: The book's cover looks fairly final, and gives some ideas about what the game's "about":

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 1, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I actually think the Orcs look kind of interesting, so I grabbed a sprue.

Along with a lot of project Z minis. Which I think was a bargain price, considering I'm not interested in the cards at all.

I grabbed a bunch of Orc sprues to fiddle about with, plus a biker sprue and the female survivor sprues - I hope to make something with the Ghost of Gaia models.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 8, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

It means you can't "enchant" their fists and such, as far as I can see. They have weapons, but if a buff/nerf spell specifies weapons then the spell won't work.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Preorder is up for the Oathmark goblin box set and character pieces - Spellcaster, general, musician and three champions. Preorder ends on the 6th of December.

Bad Squido Games' lady-orcs should look alright alongside them - or leading them.

Then there's Wargame Foundry's orc sprue - still being sold on their site at £3 a pop. Both the Oathmark goblins and the Foundry Orcs have the air of how folks drew Tolkien's orcs before the movies came around. Regular and Uruk-Hai perhaps?

For magnetics - would those magnetic adhesive sheets you can find on Amazon work?

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 16, 2017

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Two three-ups of Oathmark Human Infantry, beside a three-up of a female soldier for Frostgrave.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

JcDent posted:

Pity none of the smaller games ever catch on around these parts.

These sort of games let you make multiple warbands for the cost of a singular Warhammer army - obviously the solution is for you to make multiple warbands and introduce the game to your local gaming groups - then after using your warbands they'll get the itch to make their own.

Be the herald!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

JcDent posted:

Anyone getting Ivan's Renegade Scout?

I put money down for the fundraising campaign, yet to have time to give the basic rules a read.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Haven't played it, but here's the the website for it and here's something a review I found.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Other things may have gotten in the way - they've got that Doctor Who game going on, their sci-fi game, their Bolt Action and '47 stuff, etc.

The orc sprues are back in stock though, so...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Tomorrow, the 20th of June, Warlord Games will be revealing miniatures for their upcoming Strontium Dog game. Gav Thorpe and Andy Chambers, of Battlefleet Gothic fame, are behind the rules, and apparently the website will be www.strontium.dog, because someone went crazy with the TLDs at some point.

The comics of Strontium Dog follow Johnny Alpha, a mutant on an Earth where in 2150 a big ol' nuclear war broke out. Due to the amount of radioactive material known as Strontium-90 released into the atmosphere, mutants started being born in the surviving populace and face great discrimination - to the point where the best job they can find is as bounty hunters with the Search/Destroy Agency, and mutant bounty hunters thus become known as Strontium Dogs. There have been cross-overs with the more well known Judge Dredd, but they're sort of different universes really.

Alpha, himself, has funky glowing eyes that give him a sort of X-Ray Vision, allow him to see folks' brain waves and he also has limited telekinesis. He's pals with a time-traveled viking warrior, Vulf Sternhammer, the fugly, ornery and Scottish Middenface NcNulty and Durham Red, a lady mutant who's a vampire but not really a vampire. Stories can be somewhat crazy, will Alpha traveling to a dimensional equivalent of Hell, to distant planets, and even time-travel - one time involving a bounty on Hitler. Storylines also went into the discrimination against mutants, and Johnny's efforts to fight against it.

Mongoose Publishing and Wargames Foundry both stopped selling their miniatures and related products a short while ago, perhaps to allow Rebellion to pool resources - Mongoose had both RPGs based on the Traveller ruleset for players to act as Judges in the Dredd-verse and as mutant bounty hunters in the Strontium Dog 'verse, and a gang-based wargame which featured Judges up against gangs of Fatties, Simians, etc. Foundry had a rather wide line of metal miniatures for various characters along the classic line of 2000ad ongoings.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

LordAba posted:

Did Maelstrom Edge ever get traction?

They're still putting new stuff out! I like the look of the Broken faction, and have brought a few things to use as generic ragged sci-fi dudes. The Comm Guild is worth checking out, as it has regular articles on converting the existing kit to make other units and also terrain. Even if you don't play the game, it great for ideas.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

JcDent posted:

It's amazing how better Maelstrom stuff looks than, say, Mantic.

I'd agree that it could just be the painters Mantic uses. I'm sure their Undead figures show up in the Frostgrave books and they look fine 'cause Kevin Dallimore does most of the painting for those books.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

yea i remember a few years ago when it was 2017 too

It feels longer for some of us. :smith:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'll probably just get the wizard and a infantry box to mix with Frostgrave plastics and I'll definitely put a couple warbands together and paint them up, yup, for sure, any day now...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I haven't played it, unfortunately, but I have seen that their rulebook - minus the bells and whistles of fluff and whatnot - is available to download on their website for free.

A few days ago I got an email that Maelstrom's Edge has released some new plastic sprues - SecDef Infantry could supply an elite, or at least well-equipped, force for your needs. Comm Guild has instructions for putting them together here. They've also released character figures for The Broken and some assasin-y plastic figures for the third faction. Of course, Comm Guild has a number of ideas for conversions.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Anvil Industries has metal and resin Imperial Guard-sized sets for bionics, plus heroic-sized weapons of the non-lasgun variety, that you could add to Catachan figures to make criminal-gang type cyberpunk figures.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Reaper does a bunch of both super-hero and vaguely-anime figures (a bunch are name "anime heroine", I think), Old Glory carries a large range of super-hero figures under the SuperFigs Superhero Game System name, Crossover Miniatures has a decent range and you can always scour eBay for herocliks.

All should 28mm or close enough.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Let's combine it with airsoft and your orders only get read if the courier doesn't get hit. That'll bring some goddamn verisimilitude to the game.

And then people will start training messenger birds and-

Well, we can rest comfortable that this LARP can't happen where the actual trenches were for WWI as the land still has a bunch of unexploded bombs and other crazy poo poo. Otherwise this Airsoft game would be punctuated with the occasional explosion and rain of limbs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qfUDfguhuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natwP6K--uo

These two videos came out from Warlord Games, announcing "Warlords of Erehwon" - Which is probably the fantasy-themed version of Beyond the Gates of Antares, by Gee-Double-Yew veteran Rick Priestley. Figures featured are the Orc and Skeleton figures from the defunct Wargames Factory, where WG also got their survivor, zombie, modern-soldier-mans and Test of Honour plastic figures from.

As I understand, the Orc figures were made to reflect iconic Lord of the Rings art, and the skeletons are meant to remind one of the Harryhausen stop-motion skeletons from various works.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Personally, I haven't had any problems with Hasslefree or Wayland - accept the time Wayland sent me a GW hobby desk-thing instead of the skirmish carry case I ordered, but quicky sent me the carry case after I emailed them and they told me to keep the hobby desk.

Black Cat Miniatures/Bases may be worth checking out - they do a few cool miniatures, but you may have to email them if stuff doesn't show up in the next week or so.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

TTCombat has one for £3.95. Warbases has one for £9. Wargames Foundry has one for £33.

Just search "guillotine 28mm" on Google.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Irate Tree posted:

I'd post this in the Frostgrave thread but well... I'm the only one posting in there :(

I try! :( I just don't have anything of my own work to show...

It'll be interesting to see what they do. One/two sprues of five "bodies" each? A sprue of 4 bodies?

I was expecting something along the lines of the resin/metal sci-cultists/outlaw sets they sell, to be conversion fuel with the various soldier box sets.

Being able to make two warbands with a wizard box and a single soldier box would make marketing sense.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

S.J. posted:

I want the Cultists and Gnolls so bad :(

Thanks, though, I'll keep her in mind

Where do you live? Where do you want to buy them from?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I have to say, PoC also make up some of the imperialist invaders (well, I guess we can call them that - they mostly just want a sip from the magic fountain and presumably would bugger off again) and the book has a mention of caucasian tribes - presumably one would be able to throw something together with ancient Briton/germanic figures and sets.

Now I just want to make a crew based on Asterix and Obalex. Obviously Gitafix has ran out of one of the major ingredients, which is water from the Ghost Archipelago's magic fountain!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Hey, Heritors are inheritors of their powers...

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

They've been said to be fiddily. The pieces are feet, legs/hips, ribs/chest, skull, arms and weapons. Feet and legs/hips are numbered, so certain feet go with certain legs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Pictures of the Oathmark Dwarven Heavy Infantry sprues are up on Facebook - phoneposting so can't move an image to Imgur to post here - and are showing hand weapons, shields and two-handed weapons. More interesting, the sprue includes little pouches and such to customise individual figures - something not in the elf, goblin, human or dwarf regular infantry sprues.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

If 7th & 8th were similar to 6th, then you needed a minimum of five figures in a rank to claim a "rank bonus" for the after-combat leadership checks. A standard bearer would give an additional point, each wound by your side would count, and musicians break ties.

I think there was a max of 3 rank bonuses you could have, so a 5x4 unit/twenty figures for infantry was what you wanted.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Ragnarok, "Heavy Metal Combat in the Viking Age", is coming out soon in May. Its resolution mechanic, the "Morpheus Engine" makes use of 2d6 and a d8. Your group of dudes and dudettes (sneak peak of the war clan creation rules) is made of between 7 to 12 figures, with a Jarl to lead them, Bondi as your rank and file, Huskarl as your elite, Berserkers as your heavy hitters, Skald as your second-in-command and demoraliser-types, Gothi as your healing-cleric/smite-with-magic dudes, and Speider as your sneaky-scouty types. You get 800 points to make your war clan, from Jarls being 160pts, to Bondi being a mere 40 points, and equipment being about 10 to 30pts per item.

Osprey's page for the book has a Look Inside bit, where you can see the content page, and have a think about what the section titles mean for the rules. Each figure has a set of nine stats (Action Points, Speed, Melee Attack(?), Range Attack(?), Defence(?), RS, DR, MN and Health Points) along with a size (Humans appear to be '2', a shield increases this, and it's all to do with an aspect of combat called "overwhelming", so maybe it's about pushing back and forth in combat?) and a variety of special abilities. Looks like your dudes can gain god powers through a campaign.

Tokens will be needed to show damage taken, status effects and the like, there are "encounters" during battles (two headed Eotins and Jotnir, wolves and bears, stags and boars, elementals and undead, etc) some of which you may be able to get to join your band of merry marauders in a campaign. The game suggests a 3' by 3' playing field, bigger for multiplayer games, with plenty of terrain. With a sort-of-Ragnarok having happened, the 9 realms have collapsed into one, ensuring a real mix of environments, and some terrain that's down-right dangerous.

Obligatory mention of Bad Squiddo's Shield Maidens line of figures, plus the line of animals including wolves, bears, ravens, a type of dog that's basically a wolf-corgi, Scandinavian cats, and whatever the plural of "moose" is 'cause no one is gonna argue against you using a moose instead of a stag. Fortunately, my sister has never been bitten by a møøse. Alternatively, there are other providers of viking-esque fellows, and you could probably get away with finding someone on eBay who sells individual sprues from Gripping Beast and Fireforge boxes of Scandinavian Infantry (pic), Viking Hirdmen (pic) and a variety of miscellaneous Dark Age Warrior- and Archer-types. (Warriors, Archers) Alternatively-alternatively, there's always the Frostgrave Barbarians box.

The foreword speaks a lot of the Morpheus Engine being designed for generic use, but with the idea of additional rules to flavour the game to a particular theme. If this goes well, we might see a release of a game with a sci-fi theme, etc.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Wargame Terrain, a wargaming blogging site has news on Produs selling their Aliens Vs Predator range, which is to be discontinued, for 40% off. This is neat if you want to have official figures for Xenomorphs or the elite, man-hunting race of aliens who can be defeated by autistic people or something I didn't watch it but the reviews were less than stellar.

3 Predators for £18, the same but 'cloaked' for the same price, 5 Xenomorphs for £9, "Female yautja are larger and stronger than their male counterparts. While many sport prominent mammary glands-" :wink:

Talk 'bout pink tax when the lady-tor is £12 for one, and the dudes are £18 for 3. Anyway, you were probably never going to play the game but it might be nice to pull out a Big Chap for some other Sci-Fi game. 5 days left in the sale, then it's presumably gone forever. :rip:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Get out of here, Stalker, and into Zona Alfa: Salvage and Survival in the Exclusion Zone!

"Amazon Page posted:

Zona Alfa is a set of simple, fast-play skirmish rules for scavenging, exploring, and surviving in a near-future, post-apocalyptic Eastern European setting. Players take on the role of bandits, mercenaries, and military units fighting over the blasted Exclusion Zone and its abandoned artefacts. Customise your fighters with a variety of weapons and specialisms to create your ideal warband. With extended rules for campaigns, character progression, terrain, and environmental hazards, Zona Alfa contains all the tools required to engaging in blistering firefights within the Exclusion Zone.

Coming late January 2020. The author, one Patrick Todoroff, has wargaming experience but this is the first game he has had published. He has published a bunch of fiction, including for this Obviously-Not-S.T.A.L.K.E.R OC plz do not steal story world of his. "Hot Space Station Action".

Edit: Oh, wait, turns out he's the guy behind Hardwired, a Co-Op/Solo game with a cyberpunk theme. It's been taken down from the site, but a little searching and you should be able to find the beta version to give you the idea of how it'll work

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 8, 2019

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Fledgling YouTube channel, Paint All the Minis has Ragnarok writer Tim K on their latest Podcast, talking about the upcoming game.

The system seems largely based around rolls of 2d6, with a goal of rolling a 7. One measures a stat against an opponent's stat, and you get a bonus for every point your stat is above the enemy's stat, making a roll of a 7 easier. Of course, if you have a lower stat, you take a penalty. It appears lots of things, including terrain, have keywords which dictate what kind of interaction figures can have with each other, including impaling an enemy on the sharp branches of a pine tree. If your character has powers obtained from the scattered energies of the fallen gods, if your roll is higher than what is required for an action, you gain spendable points to activate your god powers - So games would start off regular, pushing and shoving and stabbing, before gaining enough points to smack some poor fellow into the stratosphere, or set someone on fire or what-have-you.

Author Tim K also goes a little into what's coming up next for the Morpheus system (two expansions for Ragnarok, of one we already know is called 'The Vanir') including a fantasy pirate game - slightly more mass battle, with units and the like. He goes into that the "added rules" to the base Morpheus system make Ragnarok and the pirate game vastly different in play.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'll have to check that out.

More stuff I've found from searching "Osprey Games" on Amazon and setting it to show by "Newest Arrivals":

Ragnarok is available for pre-order from North Star. Sure, you could get it slightly cheaper via Amazon, but I've found that books arrive from NS a bit earlier than the strict release date. I mentioned earlier that the book to follow was The Vanir, this late December, and Amazon is showing The Abyss to be following in March next year.

The Vanir, December 2019 posted:

The Aesir are dead, and the Vanir, now uncontested in their divinity, come to claim what is left of the Nine Realms. The war clans must oppose, or align with, these new foes.

Ragnarok: The Vanir features new Godsparks that war clans may harness to combat the marauding Vanir, as well as new scenarios, monsters, and options to further develop players' campaigns.

The Abyss, March 2020 posted:

Ginnungagap, the Gaping Abyss, was once what separated the realms of Ice and Fire, keeping them in balance and sparing the other realms from their ravages. With the Nine Realms shattered, however, Ginnungagap has been left unguarded and unspeakable horrors now await those who wish to cross it.

Ragnarok: The Abyss includes new scenarios for Ragnarok as well as new monsters to vanquish in glorious battle. New mechanics introduce something once barely recognized by war clans--Fear--and present entirely new challenges for them to overcome in the telling of their sagas.

We have Oathmark coming out in late November this year, with Oathbreakers following in April next year.

Oathbreakers, April 2020 posted:

This supplement for Oathmark: Battles of the Lost Age introduces the forces of the dead to the game. Some armies will use dark magic to summon the souls and corpses of traitors from the past, while others will recall the spirits of loyal warriors that gave their lives and willingly fight again. This book also includes expanded rules for characters, which allow you to chart their progress from battle-to-battle, and watch as they grow in rank, responsibility, and power. All of these rules are then incorporated into a campaign featuring new scenarios that together tell of an epic war for survival.

Ash Barker Barker and Osprey have "Last Days: Seasons" coming out this September, at the same time as Gaslands: Refueled, a slightly updated, slightly expanded, very much prettier version of the current Gaslands rules out now.

Last Days: Seasons, September 2019 posted:

Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse: Seasons brings an all new campaign to the skirmish-scale miniatures game of survival horror, taking players through the changing seasons and the challenges this brings to their Groups of survivors. As well as rival gangs and mindless zombies, your Group will have to deal with hunger, thirst, warmth, and the many other problems that can't be stopped with a well-placed bullet. Featuring a host of new character types, scavenge tables, scenarios, and even rules for using bicycles, motorbikes, and snowmobiles, this expansion is essential for a survivor during the last days.

Ash Barker and Osprey also team up with Gamma Wolves:

Gamma Wolves, March 2020 posted:

A fast-playing game of mecha skirmish combat in the post-apocalyptic ruins of Earth.

In the blasted, radiation-scorched, wastelands of the Earth's surface, towering mecha do battle, defending the interests of one of the few remaining arcology governments, providing security for wilderness outposts, or seeking out loot and supplies as a mercenary company. With detailed rules for designing and customizing your mecha, from size and propulsion type to payload and pilot skills, and a campaign system that allows pilots to gain experience and skills as they patrol the shattered Earth, Gamma Wolves is a fast-playing game of post-apocalyptic mecha warfare.

At this point I would like to tell you about Ramshackle Game's range of bi-pedal and tracked robots, which, while technically made for 28mm, should scale up for giant robot fisticuffs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

GoingPostal posted:

I have a quick question. Does anyone know how tall the Ser Snapjaw is, from Super Dungeon Explorer? I want to use him for a D&D mini, but I can't find a size for him.

IndelibleKane, Reddit posted:

He's about 32mm/33mm to top of his head, he's slightly taller but a lot chunkier than other SDE mini's.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Goblin Chat: Artisan Design's Borderlands range has some nice looking figures in it, to £2 each. They've also recently added some rangers and revenants, and have a couple of trolls.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The author has been making a few posts about this when people bring it up - replacing a d20 with 2d10 messes up a few aspects of the game like how magic is cast. I'll have to look through the Frostgrave Facebook group for the specific post where he explains the choice of the d20 mechanic.

Some aspects that people have with the game, like how wizards gain XP, have been altered with the new rules introduced in the Mazes book. These will likely be included, along with changes to individual spells to try and improve unpopular choices, with the second edition book coming out June-ish next year.

---EDIT---
Here's the latest thread to pop up in the Facebook group about the use of d20, and I believe there's a reply from the author here.
---EDIT---

A heads up, Starbreach, a game of 4-14 figures and a 2d6+modifiers-roll-off-based system, will be heading to Kickstarter to fund a fancy, pretty hardcover book. Figures included in the pictures include those from Bad Squiddo Games, a Goon-owned miniatures business, Diehard Miniatures and Antediluvian Miniatures.

The rules in digital, however, are currently available and free. They appear to me to be a mix of One Page Rules and the order dice of Warlord Games' Bolt Action/Warlords of Erehwon/Whatever-Antedres games. You have an order die for each figure your force has, players put them in a container of some sort and they blind pull them to determine who goes when. Dice are laid down beside the unit to record what order was given, etc. One order allows a figure to recover health - a replacement of the remove-pins order the WG games have.

A figure has about four attributes - movement, (how far in inches a figure can move, some orders will move double that number) Initiative, (the higher the number the better the figure is at pretty much anything it can do) Wounds, (once a figure comes to 3 or less wounds, they get less effective) and armour.

Tests, to shoot or hit in melee, are done by each player rolling 2d6, adding the initiative of their respective figures, addingor subtracting modifiers from conditions or equipment and the person with the highest number wins. The difference between the number is the amount of wounds caused, minus the defending figure's armour. Two figures can keep trading blows for as long as the winner of each individual test wishes, or push either figure 2" away and end the fight to move on to the next blind-pull from the action dice bag.

There are psychic powers, a variety of different "schools" and certain forces (of which there are many, to cover not40k themed forces and a variety of generic ideas) have access to certain schools, or a limited amount of access to a particular school.

There are a variety of scenerios, but the base idea to winning a fight is to knock out a greater points-quantity of the enemy force before the 6th turn ends.

Your army/gang is made of a single free "alpha", a handful of regular soldiers and a limited amount of "specialists", and some figures are "unique" in that you can only have one maximum in your force. Some forces will have a "mech", which has some unique rules and conditions of its own.

It's worth having a look, rules are free in digital, Kickstarter for a purty hardcover book starts 14th of October.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 9, 2019

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

I'm phone-posting right now, unfortunately. Maybe this link will work but I'll post a screen cap of his reply:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Warlord Games has properly announced their Judge Dredd game! Release is the 29th of November.

An expanded version of their Strontium Dog rules, (Which I have but haven't given a full read of yet) the starter set gives two forces - a gang of 8 "block gangers" (generic criminals united largely by association of living in the same mega-structure of an apartment building that houses tens of thousands) and a Judge patrol of a Street Judge and a Rookie Judge. It also has a softcover set of the rules, the tokens and dice required for play and what appears to be a reversible battle mat and some punch-out 2d terrain. Plus there's a sheet of graffiti decals, and cards that are basically copies of stats and rules regarding skills and aren't necessary as far as I can tell. SD has "chicanery cards", which are basically events you can play during the game, but they're printed in the rulebook and can no doubt be replicated through making notes on some revision cards or something - there's probably something similar with this. The mats and terrain don't look particularly great.

There's also a separate hardcover version of the rulebook available, plus a more expensive super-special version that, honestly, doesn't look great.

It seems that otherwise, the products on release will be: Street Judges (Which either has five figures in it, or two lots of the same five figures - Judges armed with various weapons), Block Gang (Ten figures of variously armed gangers), Block Gang Reinforcements (Which is half the price of the previous box, so I'm assuming five figures), Arch-Villians of Mega-City One (Featuring Rico Dredd, Judge Death, Mean Machine, two guys I don't recognize and a drone), Denizens of Mega-City One (Featuring five people who I don't recognize. I don't know if they're possible allies for the two "sides" known of so far.) and League of Fatties. (3 figures of the titular followers of one of the most bizarre but also most enduring fads to feature on the streets of Mega-City One.) Finally, there's a set for Judge Dredd himself, with two figures - on foot, and on his bike. All figures are in resin.

The starter set is £50, and the add-on sets are £20, except for the Block Gang Reinforcements and Judge Dredd which are £10 and £15 respectively.

As far as I understand, the rules work as so: Each figure has attributes that have a number. When they do something associated with that attribute, they roll the associated number's worth of special dice. Depending on what shows up on the dice dictates how successful the act was. The dice has 3(?) different symbols on it, and one of them is the 2000ad logo, which, if rolled, means that an extra-special skill of the figure may be used.

Edit: Wayland Games is selling pre-orders at a 20% discount, but ordering from Warlord themselves before the end of Sunday 20th October means the rulebook will be signed, plus there's a special edition vignette figure of Dredd and Death duke-ing it out that's included with most of the current options.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Arquinsiel posted:

People already take and modify mechanics from all over, but the closest to what you are describing would be the old D&D 3.X OGL which... yeah.

There's similar versions for D&D's 4th edition, which lead to some books that members of these forums liked, FATE and Run By The Apocalypse(?). So something like the OGL isn't exactly dead in the water.