Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, I'd really like a War in Heaven game that gets weird with it: Burning wheels and four-faced Seraphim fighting nightmarish Geiger-meets-Guillermo-del-Toro-meets-Hellraiser demons. I guess the only issue is how to have more than two factions.

I think I have an old document lying around for such an idea that was pretty neat, give me a minute to boot my laptop up and I'll see if I can find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

I think I have an old document lying around for such an idea that was pretty neat, give me a minute to boot my laptop up and I'll see if I can find it

found it, I think I originally copied it off some guy on RPGnet;

quote:

Okay, some ideas for mine. It's pretty much cobbled together from ideas from this thread and the other, following (probably to a fault) my credo of "the more factions, the merrier," put atop my preferred metaphysical framework for this- Hellboy (the RPG)'s Abrahamic-universe-that-has-Greek-godlings-and-Cthulhus, and with a few original ideas tossed in as well as my propensity of turning the occasional cliche on its head.

Essentially, the premise is that Scripture is... Gospel. What's laid out in Revelation is fated to happen. How it happens is anyone's guess. And more pressing, when. There's also the question of whether or not any other religions' religious texts are compatible. But in any case, just as in the short story "Thunder of the Captains, and the Shouting" by Tom Piccirilli, the End Times are going to happen, and they will happen as written. Satan will be defeated, Christ will return, there will be an epic battle and the fate of billions will come.

But getting to that time... the waiting period's a bitch.

Think about it this way. World War II was terrible. One of the worst calamities to happen to the world. But then the Cold War came along, and the stakes were even higher with the threat of thermonuclear destruction. But if you're fighting on the Eastern Front, the world looks like it's on the brink of death as it is already. And so on. So basically my setting would be in the intrigue, backstabbing, and shocking revelations of the build-up to the End Times. Which no one really knows will happen when, other than the big G. And there you have it.

Rather like In Nomine, I guess.

The players would likely be minions of the various supernatural sides. Usually mundane, mortal minions who may have some extraordinary powers, but possess nothing more than some clue of what's happening. Usually apparently neutral sides are pawns in the celestial struggle.

Utilizing the Magic the Gathering/Exalted jade colors scheme, the factions:

Heaven: (You can guess). Out to fulfill the will of God, as inscrutable as it might be. At war with all powers refusing to accept its authority. Also desperately trying to find out why certain groups have arisen in recent times, and how they fit in with prophecy. The big names are all busy off-Earth. Michael won't show up to fight until Armageddon. Metatron is assisting with internal affairs. Gabriel is off doing whatever, and there's no use trying to corner him to ask whether or not if he really did instruct Muhammad to inscribe the Quran. Instead, the most important person on Earth representing Heaven is actually not an angel, but human- Matthias, the apostle who replaced Judas back in Acts. A bit like civilian control of militaries, St. Matthias is the commander of the forces of Heaven on Earth. He's advised by John of Patmos and Raphael the Archangel, who in turn is the highest-ranking angel currently on Earth. They have several goals- find out just what's supposed to happen from here, and to prevent Hell from taking any more souls, but they don't exactly have a clear roadmap from God.

Hell: Red. Demons, daemons, and devils. Covers everything from Diablo-esque rampaging hordes of Chaos to corrupted golden hedonistic tempters of decadence. Consisting of both the original fallen angels and djinn, evil spirits and constructs made by them, and any other fell beasts. Not monolithic; Satan hasn't been divided against himself yet- not openly, at least, but he there are myriads of subfactions of Hell, all allying to some demon prince or another with their own agendas. Satan himself is much mellow in these days. Having failed to undo God's work or to tempt Christ, he merely resides in the underworld in his degenerate finery, watching the world turn. Oh, he's not idle by any chance- he knows he's going down, and he's going to take as many souls as he can with him- but if one was to meet the great deceiver, one would find that he's rather like the matrixical Merovingian: well-dressed, aloof, seemingly content. It's all a facade, of course- nowadays Satan's all about getting people to sign unwritten contracts and falling to him without them knowing. And while his lieutenants accuse him of complacency and foment rebellion, he's really just as frantically confused about the presence of some of the other groups and how they fit into what will happen. And as always, he secretly yearns to overthrow the top.

Death: (You can also guess). For millennia upon millennia, the servants of Death have existed on Earth, bringing the deceased to proper locations before they are then spirited away to their true afterlife. Nominally a servant of God (rather like Apollyon, the bringer of locusts who is currently indisposded), Death has done his duty quietly and without fail, until in recent times. Death is on the march. His skeletal scythe-wielding servants have been striking people dead randomly and without cause, stealing some of their souls to places unknown. In fact, Death himself has fully manifested his presence upon the Earth as one of the Four. While his fellow riders are nowhere to be seen yet, both Heaven and Hell are frantically scrambling to understand if his presence is a necessary prerequisite for the End Times, merely a happenstance, or a perversion of what is to come...
His identity is unknown, thought to be Malik, Samael, Sariel, Azrael, Uriel, or even Michael or Gabriel. Others speculate that Death was killed at some point, and replaced by another. Cain son of Adam is often a suspect.

Fae: Green. Contrary to popular myth, the fair folk are not dying out. Their lands may be taken over by the technological societies of man, but the Fae are stronger than that. Or rather, more insidious. They breed like rats. The only reason why contact has been so minimal between them and humanity is because they're masters of metamorphosis. Vampires, werewolves, aliens, etc.- fair folk in different costumes. And they can turn invisible, too, so that explains most ghost sightings. Just who are they? No one is sure. While some in their number are nephilim and other hybrids from human/angel couplings, the majority of Fae are primeval spirits that just seemed to spontaneous arise as the Earth grew. Whether they're sentient creations from Eden, former caretaker angels of nature, or dreams come to life by the collective subconcious of humanity, no one is sure. They've mostly played a sidelines role so far, but Titania wants her people to eventually dominate, and is eager to watch the sides above and below destroy each other, whilst her children continue to infest the burrows and bushes of the planet.

Pantheon: Blue. There used to be godlings on Earth, and they walked amongst men. Nephilim? Qliphothic entities? Maybe. Great heroes and evils sprang forth from them, and they dominated many of the old civilizations, touting themselves as the true divinities. But in time their powers fell, God's words swept their messages away, and their power diminished. But it was not disbelief that doomed them, but their numbers. The old polytheistic gods made war upon each other, and the Fae used it to their advantage. Eventually, the remaining godlings and demigods exiled themselves deep under the sea. Not an Atlantis, mind you- merely the hidden ridges and trenches of the ocean floor, where they changed their forms, many becoming animals and the like. But Ęgir is not pleased. He, too, awaits for Heaven and Hell to rend each other asunder, so he may reclaim the Earth, and war upon the rodent Fae, and claim humanity to worship him and his as originally intended. Incidentally, they are very spiritous creatures like the Fae, and often make war with them in the planes of dreaming beyond that of Earth.

No Hindu, Buddhist, or any other gods that people actually worship nowadays. Neo-pagans don't count. It's not just because of political correctness, but because it makes it too complicated, not to mention In Nomine has done a better joab already.

Soulburners: Violet. In search of a better name. The Great Old Ones who the unsuspecting medium Lovecraft was writing about. Fragments of a previous creation, or perhaps just really, really, really fallen angels (they had different jobs from Satan's clique), they no longer maintain a stable existence in reality. Instead, they manifest in multiple dimensions, have cyclopean forms beyond sane comprehension, and corrupt everything they touch. With little more agendas than "kill and eat", these mad horrors bring a shudder to every faction above. For one thing, their full manifestation could destroy Earth. Paradoxically, their powers have been growing. Since everyone knows that if they really destroy Earth, God is going to go all Iluvatar on them, no one understands how they fit in with the End Times, or the current time. Recently, they have been falling into Earth more and more often, their servitors wreaking havoc. Aside from the possible treachery of Death, the Soulburners' rise are the most worrying phenomenon in recent times.

I'd probably tweak it a bit more for use in a wargame(including adding one or two non-Supernaturally aligned human factions, and fiddling slightly with the non Heaven & Hell factions to make them a little more coherent), but I think it'd make for a nice scenario nonetheless

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, I was watching some Bioshock Let's Plays on Youtube, and I realised that Rapture would kind of be a brilliant setting for a skirmish game. You could all be running a gang of Splicers (or a bunch of unspliced survivors if you want a challenge) fighting over ADAM, territory or other resources, and there's a nice options for progression with Plasmids/Gene Tonics (and the possibility of downsides if you go overboard with the splicing). I mean there's probably a massive well of Deep Sea Diver/Creepy Little Girl miniatures for Big Daddies and Little Sisters, out there - I know there's already one excellent Big Sister model, for instance. And there's a whole bunch of pulp minis for Rapture Denizens.

Had similar thoughts regarding using Bloodborne as the setting for a skirmish wargame

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Rogue Stars seems interesting, although it's a bit too small scale for my tastes, was hoping for something more like Rogue Trader in scale

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Mobile Frame Zero: Intercept Orbit

Well it would be a good option, except for the fact that it still hasn't been released to the general public as far as I can tell(not counting a beta version that is a pain in the rear end to find), which is a shame I'd love to actually buy a copy to go with my copy of Rapid Attack

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Seriously? I got my backer reward in 2015, what's taking them so long?

No idea, tried messaging them on kickstarter but it turns out the contact info they left was for a completely different company, who supplied me with the author's actual email, haven't messaged him yet, but I intend to soon(also to find out if he intends on doing any of the other MF0 games he talked about potentially making in the past)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I just spent an hour or so on graphic design with my publisher at adastragames.com and made the text on this pop moire than it did.

This setting is 3d space combat, Newtonian movement, with the Orion drive as the main interplanetary drive.

Disclaimer: I'm a line editor for Ad Astra, but not for this product.

So besides the Orion Drive what would be some of the other notable technologies for the setting?(definitely like the basic idea, but some more info would be nice)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

mllaneza posted:

A quick answer from Ken:

Sounds fun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Southern Heel posted:

So having watched a few games of AoS Skirmish and being very underwhelmed, and at the same time really enjoying the games of Firefight I played (that is, relatively streamlined rules, few models) - I wonder if there's anything to scratch the fantasy itch in the same way.

Ideally looking at around 8-10 models per side (with exceptions for horde-type factions), and so far I've come across a few games that would be suitable:

A Song of Blades and Heroes (having played this with my regular opponent and enjoyed it)
AOS Skirmish (as above, not so excited about)
Frostgrave
Mordheim (I never played the game, I hear it was alot more awkward than fun).

Anything else I should consider? Not neccesarily swords-and-sorcery required, i.e. post-apocalyptic, gangs, etc. would be fine - just no zombies and no high fantasy! gothic sci-fi!

Two that come to mind are Wrack & Ruin, and Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Otherworld Fantasy Skirmish is a lot of fun. It is simple, and the hero classes cover all the thematic bases for adventures that you need.

I'll admit I haven't actually played it, I just happen to have the PDF for it lying around and had heard good things about it elsewhere

Not to mention the official minis for it are delightfully retro in appearance(I'm a sucker for Pig Orcs)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Bob Smith posted:

Until then I've been quite enjoying Project Continuum, it's a sort of unofficial FT3 with a bunch of interesting new weapons in it (multiple grades of Needle Beam that interact with different levels of sensor tech, shitloads of new beam types including a close-range rapid-fire beam broadside option, more types of spinal super-cannon so you aren't just using the "please don't use this" Wave Motion Gun knockoffs from the original books, and more).

I've bought a lot of ships for it and can't wait for my regular wargaming buddy to no longer be on awkward shift patterns so we can get some games in.

Mind linking to this game, can't find it on Google

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thanks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The only thing I don't like about Dragon Rampant is that whole thing it has where if you fail activating a single unit it ends your whole turn right there, seems to me like one of those things where a couple bad rolls could ruin a game to an extent I haven't really seen anywhere else

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's part of the reason why I couldn't embrace it.

Admittedly it's a pretty easy thing to house rule

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't know what MHA is (no, please don't tell me), but Knight Models has an entire line of DC figures: https://www.knightmodels.com/en/dc-universe-miniature-game/

My Hero Academia, an anime series that's actually pretty good

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anyone do good Astronaut minis?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of Mecha miniatures, the fact that basically no one does good Super Robot or Gundam style ones just boggles the mind, like for some reason everyone just does Battletech or VOTOMS/Heavy Gear style designs, it's a huge mostly untapped market they're just letting sit there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

There''s some new Macross stuff out soon, but that's still kind of de-facto Battletech I guess...

Yeah I was counting that under the Battletech label

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I know Reaper has a line of mecha minis, but I have no idea about their quality, just that there was a Kickstarter for them a few years back. (Also my gaze just slipped right over them without registering any details 'cos I'm more focused on skirmish games, not mecha)

Assembly update on Marvel Crisis Protocol: The plastic is really nice, very few mold line issues on the kit I assembled (probably because they're new molds). However, beware the tiny bits: some models have unreasonably small pieces. Black Widow's forearms come to mind, and Doc Ock's robo-arms are a special kind of difficult. They nicely include multiple copies of some of the smallest pieces to help alleviate the inevitable losing one on the carpet; but as far as assembly is concerned, it's like they're trying to be Games Workshop. (Early copies of the rulebooks may also have shipped without the component numbers in the assembly instructions, so you'll also want to check the website instructions.)
As far as painting goes, the models are a treat. I recommend doing a zenithal prime, emphasizing a light base coat to help get a bright comic-book finish on your color schemes. If you don't have access to an airbrush, a medium grey or white rattlecan primer should do the trick; just give it a light touch. I also recommend giving the model a light drybrush with white after priming, followed by a thinned black wash to get the details to pop. Ink washes and Citadel's Contrast paint line work well for the base coats, but regular acrylics also work well if thinned enough.
(Like a dumbass, I neglected to take any photos of my painting session the other night, but Iron Man looks great with the Blood Angels Red Contrast paint over a silver base coat.)

Also of the Battletech mold

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

spectralent posted:

I dunno but strong agree. It's wild how weird and clunky everyone's robots look. It's not like gundam-style mechs aren't identifiable either.

Exactly, someone could make a ton of money if they made a "Not Zaku" model

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cassa posted:

Yeah, they already do every scale you could want, except maybe really teeny tiny <6mm gundams. You're not gonna be able to compete with official gundams with your own miniatures by any decent metric.

On the other hand the selection in most lines they make outside of the 1/144 scale is overall pretty abysmal, and the prices and availability are also pretty sucky outside of that range(especially if you live outside of Japan), so I'd say there's plenty of space to compete if approached correctly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah, a practical way to get 1/144 scale units for gundams would be great with a set of rules that don't suck.

Honestly I was thinking a much smaller scale than 1/144 for this, since one would want models for Mobile Armors and Ships as well, and that's not really feasible at the standard model kit size

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Did I miss a trick, or is there somehow no company supplying 1/144 figures? How? Not even an import???

Well I was thinking of something a lot smaller than that scale since that scale is only good for stuff at the squad level and I'm more interested in something at the larger end with ships involved, I'm thinking the right size would probably be somewhere between 1/400 and 1/1700 scale, based off two different kits that have been done of the White Base at those two scales that came with same scale figures of mobile suits*

Basically the big problem here is finding a scale that both allows the Mobile Suits to remain relatively distinct in appearance, while also allowing for accurately scaled models of ships to be feasible to include in the game and to be reasonably priced

*at the 1/400 scale this would put a model of your average Mobile Suit at just under two inches in height, at 1/1700 scale this would be just under half an inch(average height being 18 meters by the way)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

1/600, 3mm? You can get a ton of surprisingly detailed minis in that, including multiple SF ranges that aren't all 40K clones.

that's probably pretty close to what I'm thinking, to aid the visualization of what I'm talking about(especially regarding the issues relating to Ship size), here's some images I dug up;

this is for the 1/400 scale kit I was talking about

comparing how a 1/400 scale Gundam compares to other scales

this guy likes using cigarette packages to distinguish size for some reason

comparing it to two other very large suits that are also in the 1/400 scale

and with a bunch of regular sized suits that are in the 1/400 scale

and now the 1/1700 scale kit

again with a cigarette package for scale

with the included figures of several Mobile Suits and fighters, also at 1/1700 scale

comparison with several other ships from the same line that are also 1/1700 scale

and lastly a comparison between the same ship in several different scales, the big one the rest are sitting on is the 1/400 scale from above, the next biggest is 1/1200 scale, then below it is the 1/1700 scale, and in the back is a 1/2400 scale kit

this last one really highlights how big a difference these scales can be, imagine how huge a 1/144 White Base would be, also definitely highlights how scary Bandai could be to every other company if they were to enter the Miniature Gaming market, cause that massive 1/400 scale kit was only about 100 bucks when it was in print(Forge World is probably the only company that could produce a similarly sized ship, and it'd probably cost at least 1,000 bucks minimum), and the 1/1700 one only about 30 bucks(probably would be like at least 100 to 150 bucks from any standard manufacturer), basically Bandai could easily flood the market with extremely cheap and fairly high quality kits

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JcDent posted:

1/400 Gundams look sweet, but 1/1700 ain't that bad either!

As I was saying, Bandai would be scary if they entered this market, a package of mobile suits would probably only cost somewhere between 5 and 15 bucks depending on complexity, quantity, and size

After all the average price for a 1/144 kit is only around 20 bucks and those are a lot more complicated and use a lot more plastic than what a couple sprues of mono-pose figures would

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

And like right after I made that post I found out that there's a group of people working on a game of this nature and are in negotiations with Bandai about getting the license and that another group have done a fan translation of a Japan only game meant for the 1/400 scale stuff(which the game that's in developm seems to be using as well)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

jodai posted:

Horizon Wars: Zero Dark is up and ready to download. It's got solo and coop as well as PvP so it's a good pick up. It's on a little discount until the author can get POD going.

It's d12 based future war scifi skirmish, miniatures agnostic and adjustable for scale and it even has campaign play. Seems like good timing on the author's part, my Infinity stuff will get some use from this.

The original Horizon Wars has been out for years, it's one of Osprey's titles

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dragon Rampant is great I feel except for that really dumb rule it(and it's sibling game Lion Rampant) has where if you fail the activation roll for even a single unit you lose the rest of your turn immediately and it switches to the other player, it just feels like a completely arbitrary rule

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

I loathe turnover mechanics. It killed Blood Bowl for me. Never have a rule that stops a player from actually playing the game!

On the other hand from my recollection it doesn't really interact with any other important rules so it's very easy to house rule out

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I think I asked this ages ago and never got a good answer, does anyone know roughly what scale does the minis for Descent: Journeys In The Dark(1st edition) line up closest to?

I mean I could probably eyeball it later when I fish them out since I now have my 40k Tau army on hand to compare them with but I figure it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone else has done the work yet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pierzak posted:

It's even got AT-43. Haven't seen that in a long while.

Someone should really buy up the rights to that one and revive it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MORK BORG is kinda supposed to be ridiculous, just the kind where it's ridiculous to people observing from the real world, in setting it's all treated seriously

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Atlas Hugged posted:

My understanding as someone very curious about it is that it's OSR without being written by Nazis and wants to be the most metal retroclone of them all while also being inclusive with its audience. I'm tempted to buy it on that premise alone knowing that I'll likely never play it.

I mean there's plenty of OSR stuff that isn't made by Nazis, indeed most of it isn't, they just happen to be a very loud and obnoxious tiny minority, like how it is with most nerdy things if we're being honest unfortunately

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also he probably wants minis that he won't have to get a loan to be able to afford

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lumbermouth posted:

It’s on Facebook but this was the end product.

I'm reminded of that one early Warhammer 40k article where they made a hover tank out of a stick of deodorant

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Tom Bloom (of Kill 6 Billion Demons comic and Lancer RPG fame) decided to do all the layout work for his necromancer-themed indie skirmish wargame in 10 days and release it for $6.66.

You can also get it from his Patreon for $2.
https://tombloom.itch.io/magnagothica-maleghast

('other mechanics' is a thing Tom is doing with his in-development RPG ICON too, where a class will have reminders of common keywords that it often relates to. so not every Goregrinder unit is curseproof, but clearly a lot of the faction is)

No actual printed minis, you just buy the PDF and it comes with image assets. Basically made to be played on a virtual tabletop of your choice.

Yeah that should be a fun one, also anyone gotten their hands on A War Transformed yet because "WW1 meets Folk Horror" is definitely the kind of thing that aesthetically is very much my jam and it would be nice if the game itself is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah stuff like Turnip28 and Sludge are definitely inspiring things, as is A War Transformed(even if it is a bit of a mess as an actual game) and Maleghast