Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have a mate who's missus runs a LAMS gladius. It started life as a white bike with blue highlights, she found a blue bike with white highlights to pull parts off and now has an entirely blue bike.

Also taking off the side pods and throwing them in the bin, and taking off the headlight and throwing it in the bin, and replacing the horrific tail situation with a tail tidy makes them look like a totally normal, tidy 00's bike. When I see her from a distance I routinely mistake it for an mt03 or ER6.

I would not take a gladius over a second gen SV, but I would 100% take a gladius over a first gen SV - objectively superior in every way, equally ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a good bike with a shamefully terrible marketing push behind it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I have a mate who's missus runs a LAMS gladius. It started life as a white bike with blue highlights, she found a blue bike with white highlights to pull parts off and now has an entirely blue bike.

Also taking off the side pods and throwing them in the bin, and taking off the headlight and throwing it in the bin, and replacing the horrific tail situation with a tail tidy makes them look like a totally normal, tidy 00's bike. When I see her from a distance I routinely mistake it for an mt03 or ER6.

I would not take a gladius over a second gen SV, but I would 100% take a gladius over a first gen SV - objectively superior in every way, equally ugly.
Hey off topic, have you ever worked on any turbo bikes? We're about to get a Seca Turbo donated to us, and assuming it's not completely fried which it probably is completely fried actually, I'm wondering how fixable they may be if they've been neglected and sitting around. I'm assuming "not very" fixable but I'm fascinated by the idea of pressurized sealed carburetors and poo poo. Also have it in the back of my mind that it could be set up for vintage racing, but it would have to be sleeved down to under 600cc or something which would suck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also it's anecdotal but I feel the seat is considerably less torturous than any of the other SV's.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Hey off topic, have you ever worked on any turbo bikes? We're about to get a Seca Turbo donated to us, and assuming it's not completely fried which it probably is completely fried actually, I'm wondering how fixable they may be if they've been neglected and sitting around. I'm assuming "not very" fixable but I'm fascinated by the idea of pressurized sealed carburetors and poo poo. Also have it in the back of my mind that it could be set up for vintage racing, but it would have to be sleeved down to under 600cc or something which would suck.

I've worked on a few, but sadly never one of the glorious factory turbo bikes. I have seen a guy take apart and work on a CX turbo and it didn't seem much dumber than a normal CX, all the turbo weirdness was neatly contained in it's own sort of modules but I've got no idea how yamaha did stuff. Pressurised carbs are super easy, there's no real difference between a turbo and a ram air intake as far as the carbs are concerned so if you've ever worked on a ZX9 or SRAD 600 you'll be fine. This reminds me of the time we put a mitsi L300 turbo on a daihatsu mira 3 cylinder, a mate just cut and welded the top of an old barbecue as a manifold. We pressurised the bowl and vent and it seemed to run quite well until it scored a bore.

Please post more when you get it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Wouldn’t a forced induction system gently caress with a CV carb? Wouldn’t the forced air push up the slide?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horse Clocks posted:

Wouldn’t a forced induction system gently caress with a CV carb? Wouldn’t the forced air push up the slide?

Why doesn't 1 bar push the slide up?

As long as every single atmospheric port is piped to the turbo the carb will function, you'd just need a supplementary fuel jet for when it really gets going, which is pretty common on two strokes. The slides work on a pressure differential, as long as the hats are piped into the manifold and not to atmosphere they will work perfectly.

There are several bikes with ram-air pressurized airboxes feeding cv carbs; all the vents are just piped to the high pressure side of the airbox.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Duh.

That is now blindingly obvious

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've been reading on the Seca and there are a surprising number of little design quirks I would never have thought of. It's got crossover pipes between the carbs inside the head, and reed valves in the airbox to compensate for low boost at low rpm, and an electric regulated pressure fuel pump. Supposedly more o-rings inside the carbs in unusual places to stop air leaks

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Has anyone converted one of those to efi? The technology of turbo/fuel control has gone loving bananas since I messed with that poo poo 20 years ago, and it was decent enough back then. The improvements in turbo charger technology are also amazing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A modern turbo + megasquirt would probably go a really long way to fixing the ills of those old turbos, but you can't get around the miserably low compression without spending some serious dosh and that will always hold it back.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pff i got a mill in the garage let's just deck the head and call it a day

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Pff i got a mill in the garage let's just deck the head and call it a day
Do they have a head gasket? Weld the thing shut, solve many problems at once :D

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Excellent plan. Need money, though...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Do they have a head gasket? Weld the thing shut, solve many problems at once :D

I mean if we're digging out early F1 turbo engineering, don't forget to leave the cylinders and pistons out in the rain and piss on them every once in a while before assembling it.

(Almost certainly an urban myth because it's attributed to just about every turbo F1 team as a way of case-hardening the parts, but it's so weirdly specific that I wonder if there is a germ of truth somewhere in there)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The bmw/megatron engines were road going m10 blocks that had done some mileage (on the assumption that casting flaws would've appeared by then) with the heads welded on but I don't know if they pissed on them, I've heard that story specifically for bmw.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Pissing on them didn't have any kind of special metallurgic effect, it just made them angrier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Who will be the first manufacturer brave enough to add “Case hardened IN PISS” to their marketing copy?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 7, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pisscase is real bmw we demand the truth

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Another US importer has finally figured out that you can also import bikes in addition to cars.

http://sodo-moto.com/listings/bimota-bb1/

I'm not brave enough to own one of these.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Why would I get that when 8k gets me the best small displacement sportbike with the best headlights
http://sodo-moto.com/listings/cbr250r/

Thanks for giving me a new site to check for import bikes on!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

The bmw/megatron engines were road going m10 blocks that had done some mileage (on the assumption that casting flaws would've appeared by then) with the heads welded on but I don't know if they pissed on them, I've heard that story specifically for bmw.

Yeah, I don't even know how it was supposed to work (I think they *do* use urea for polishing some metals but just pissing on them is a... very different thing). Now I think of it I bet some apprentice saw a couple of scrap engines out by the bins, asked a grognard engineer why they were there, and it went from there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Why would I get that when 8k gets me the best small displacement sportbike with the best headlights
http://sodo-moto.com/listings/cbr250r/

Thanks for giving me a new site to check for import bikes on!

8k for a cbr250 is :catdrugs: to me, they will always be a $2500 learner bike in my heart.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Slavvy posted:

8k for a cbr250 is :catdrugs: to me, they will always be a $2500 learner bike in my heart.

Somebody just listed a CBR250RR in Chicago for $11,750. Same seller has a '86 VFR1000 for $10,750. :thunk:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Under 50 cents a pound:

https://northernwi.craigslist.org/mcy/d/rhinelander-1983-honda-goldwing/7290044092.html

get em before their owners are dead

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gorson posted:

get em because their owners are dead

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Buy them. Burn the fairings. Ride an old and reliable naked standard I guess for the memes.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
i like that fairing, though. windjammer, right?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep.

Shout out to Craig Vetter

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Somehow that Goldwing looks a lot bigger with the fairings removed, maybe because you really see the full size of the engine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Somehow that Goldwing looks a lot bigger with the fairings removed, maybe because you really see the full size of the engine?

Overcomplicating massively. The real answer is a simple equation that governs all of reality:

Less fairings > more fairings

That's it, that's all there is to it, now that you know you can try it out in the wild!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

The Sex Cannon posted:

i like that fairing, though. windjammer, right?

It’s poo poo. I put one on my GL1000 for about a week and it makes the front look enormous when you’re riding.
It’s almost time to see if my GL1100 will start! (It won’t)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I sent that to a friend who lives up there and just bought an old 69 kawi 250 dirtbike. I’m trying to get him to make the Goldwing into a tow vehicle to pull the kawi to the trails

:getin:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Overcomplicating massively. The real answer is a simple equation that governs all of reality:

Less fairings > more fairings

That's it, that's all there is to it, now that you know you can try it out in the wild!

That's how I feel every time I'm putting all the fairings back on my Daytona when I'm usually running late for something

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep.

Shout out to Craig Vetter

I know Craig's son posts right here in these very forums, and I don't want to crap on his dad's work but uh - they ugly AF.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My sincere belief, which I’ve stated multiple times is that style is cyclical and that look will come back into fashion some day

It’s gonna take some custom bike builder to really nail the look and make everyone take notice, but it’ll happen I’m sure of it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My sincere belief, which I’ve stated multiple times is that style is cyclical and that look will come back into fashion some day

It’s gonna take some custom bike builder to really nail the look and make everyone take notice, but it’ll happen I’m sure of it

It’s coming an it will be glorious. Root beer flake Windjammers :allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m here for it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Style is cyclical, but the bad stuff usually gets left out of the renewal. Some aspects of 70s design are making/have made a comeback (fashion) but last I looked the big box stores aren't filling up with paisley wallpaper, rust orange shag rugs, and avocado colored appliances/plumbing fixtures to match that new velour Ricky Regal/Lacoste track jacket.

How do you make a big ugly bike with wide bars more aerodynamic? Throw a correspondingly big fuckoff fairing on the front of it. If the bike wasn't styled with the fairing in mind, that fairing will probably end up looking out of place. They looked weird 50 years ago, and they look weird now.

If you style the bike with the fairing in mind, it might look OK. You might end up with the next Hayabusa, and the reactions on that bike's looks have been mixed at best.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

bass boats, bowling leagues, and big bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

Style is cyclical, but the bad stuff usually gets left out of the renewal. Some aspects of 70s design are making/have made a comeback (fashion) but last I looked the big box stores aren't filling up with paisley wallpaper, rust orange shag rugs, and avocado colored appliances/plumbing fixtures to match that new velour Ricky Regal/Lacoste track jacket.

How do you make a big ugly bike with wide bars more aerodynamic? Throw a correspondingly big fuckoff fairing on the front of it. If the bike wasn't styled with the fairing in mind, that fairing will probably end up looking out of place. They looked weird 50 years ago, and they look weird now.

If you style the bike with the fairing in mind, it might look OK. You might end up with the next Hayabusa, and the reactions on that bike's looks have been mixed at best.

bass boats, bowling leagues, and big bikes

Avocado green kitchen stuff is definitely back in vogue but that might be a purely regional thing, nzers have notoriously crap taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Corbin has developed a fairing that looks very much like old Vetter. I've seen it on a bagger Harley and it looks pretty cool. Forgot the name, it's not sold on Corbin's site directly.