Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just looking for a little reassurance. I have a 50% match for 401k contributions from my company with no cap, company contributions fully vest after 4 years (been there for 5). I am currently maxing my 401k contribution at $16,500/yr before putting some additional money in to my Roth IRA (like 2-3k/yr).

This is the right way to be doing things, right? Every dollar I put in the 401k earns me a 50% return in the year I contribute, which is why I'm maxing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: it's a little boutique consulting firm, very successful and staffed/run entirely with either former large consulting firm staff who disliked how traditional firms operated. it's a great deal in a lot of ways

SiGmA_X posted:

Sounds smart to me. The return on the unvested amount isn't yours if you separate, but for the time being (as long as you're employed there) it would be beneficial to keep doing this. Worst case, you're saving $16.5k/yr in your 401k, best case is that you'll get a free 8.25k/yr (+gains) after 4yrs!

Depending on fund options in your 401k you may want to max the Roth IRA and cut back the 401k a touch. This would also depending on a rough guess of how long you're going to stay there. If you think its only going to be another 2yrs, definitely max the IRA and reduce the 401k a little bit. If you see it being a long term thing, continue as you're doing.

Thanks - all the company contributions are fully vested now, not sure if that is unclear. It ladders at 25% vesting your first year, 50% the second, 75% third, and 100% after four years. I have been there for five.

I stupidly did not realize the cap went up since a while ago (I think? Maybe I'm just imagining things) but I think the best course is to kind of continue as is with a $17,500 annual contribution.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 9, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I just checked and I am fully vested, so it's not a model for me where each employer contribution vests gradually over a period of time.

We'll see - technically the board has to approve matches, but they've always been 50% (or 100% one year, that was sexy) and we had a great year so...

I did change my withholding for my last check to hit 16,5, and it's too late to change since we get our last checks cut on the 22nd - my change had to be submitted by December 1. So I'll be just a bit short.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

james1844 posted:

Guys - there are tons of great budgeting software packages out there. One popular one is YNAB - you need a budget. I met the guy that develops it and he's pretty big in the personal finance community, so I would imagine its pretty good.

I think the bottom line is that budgeting is helpful for getting in good financial shape, but saving and investing over the long haul is probably a better bet for most people.

how do you think people end up with money to invest and save if they don't budget

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Syjefroi posted:

I haven't used a savings account in a few years, 3-4 now actually. I was using ING since college, but they switched over to I forget what and I would be fine with just bailing on that bank, closing my account, and moving on. I don't quite trust a bank that wasn't there when I signed up. Anyway, I'm looking to start a new savings account. Strong online features would be preferable, so I don't have to go anywhere or mail anything out. The interest rate doesn't matter either, I know they are all low. Preferably, I would like to sign up with a reputable bank, not like a Wells Fargo or something. So I guess what I'm asking is, what's the favored online bank these days?

Since your savings accounts are insured by the FDIC, I wouldn't worry too much about what specific bank holds your account from a reputation standpoint.

I just signed up for an Ally account, which gets something like 0.99% but has some restrictions about money movement. For an emergency fund it works well for me. Good online features.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It should not be hard to find work with a degree in mathematics.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have a weird and somewhat unpredictable pay schedule so I always end up having the government withhold extra money. It doesn't bug me too much and then I get a check for like $2700 which I put towards debt or house down payment fund or whatever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Vanguard is the business, I keep all my poo poo in there aside from my company 401k plan. They run the lowest cost poo poo.

Unemployment guy: taking unemployment will not hurt you financially. What's your loan? Most non-mortgage loans have a fixed interest rate that is stated in the loan contract. The only issue might be if you are applying for loans or grants for school - in that case, having lower income can be beneficial, although typically they look at your prior year, so that would be at your military pay level regardless of your actions in the current year.

Be careful if you take unemployment - it is taxable income. If you do not have taxes withheld, you will probably owe taxes come April 15.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pinball posted:

So, I get the concept of the 6-9 month emergency fund, but I'm curious; is that the same fund you draw from for any unexpected expenses, such as car trouble and health issues, or do you all have another short-term emergency fund and keep the 6-9 month fund only for truly dire need?

Car trouble is unpredictable, in that it can occur without warning, but over a long time frame it's a predictable expense. Have a budget line for it.

For non-predictable health issues (I just injured my knee and am incurring some substantial non-predictable one time costs), I use the emergency fund. However, for things like routine healthcare that are predictable, I budget that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would perhaps cease contributing to the mutual fund until you pay off those debts, since they are at pretty brutal interest rates. However, I don't think you should sell any existing positions just because your tax liabilities may wipe out a lot of your potential gains.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

While you're at it, what's your hypothetical realized gain if you were to pay off the cards using money in the mutual funds?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't charge ANYTHING to the credit cards, as has been said. Cease paying in to your mutual fund to pay down credit card debt. Once you pay off the cards, you can consider using them in a disciplined fashion, but I would be sure that you can immediately pay off any balance accrued with un-budgeted cash on hand.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo like unexpected dental expenses is why you have an emergency fund.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Your misc category, based on what you assigned to it, seems light to me for two people. Other than that, you should be pretty good to go at 1200.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Two people living in 350sf sounds brutal. I live with my girlfriend in just under 600 and it can be a little tight.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xenoborg posted:

I just got an interesting idea and want to sanity check it:

The basic setup is that with my current budget I am about 10k a year short of the 401k limit. Already maxing out IRA and HSA. I also have about 100k saved in taxable accounts. Is there any reason I shouldn't increase my 401k contributions by 10k to max it out, and then take from the taxable account to make up the difference in my budget? It seems like its straight trading taxable money into tax advantaged.

How are the terms for your 401k in terms of matching etc?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Annath posted:

What constitutes a "weird" 401(k) matching scheme?

Girlfriend just took a job where, as far as I can tell, at the end of the year the company puts a random amount of money in your 403(b) (or not, seemingly also at random), regardless of how much you contributed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're bad at driving to the tune of two accidents in 83k vehicle miles traveled, taking a defensive driving course could be a worthwhile investment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

None of that makes any sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're 50 something, the opportunity cost is minimal... because your returns are also minimal.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slap me silly posted:

I think a 2014 Elantra for $16k is pretty much the definition of a good car decision. However, if you got the Infiniti fixed up and it's going to last a while, buying anything else right now could be pretty costly overall. How big is your current loan, what's the interest rate, and how much cash do you have available to throw at this transaction?

I don't agree in regards to the Elantra. Current decent, no negotiation pricing on an SE trim, brand new 2016, factory warranty &c, is $17.5k plus D&D so call it 18.2k. CP, you'll get a better rate on a new car loan than a used car loan, and you'll have the satisfaction of actually knowing the vehicle's complete history, which is a big plus if you're going to drive it in to the ground.

CPO cars aren't worth the premium the manufacturer wants you to pay for what amounts to a slightly more detailed than average trade-in inspection.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Condolences, J-body owners. They are pretty mechanically reliable, although the interiors go to poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You should make your own thread. I find it unlikely that anyone who isn't bad with money themselves will cosign on a 19% interest loan for $5k for someone who has no current income.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A lot of credit cards give you your credit report as a cardholder benefit. Paying fifteen bucks a month sounds absolutely insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The big issue is that it makes absolutely no sense to buy a house when you have six figures of debt already.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

signalnoise posted:

That's so helpful to me right now, thank you.

One of the important things you need to do now is analyze WHY you made that decision and thought you could make it work. If you don't do that, the fundamentals that drive bad financial decision making will always be at play.

edit: Make a budget, for sure, but do not just let this decision slide under the "What's done is done!" umbrella.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

I have a question.

Currently I have a $-10,200 school loan debt that I pay about $86 a month towards. I almost have in my savings account that amount of money to completely pay it off. But i'm not having economical hardships at all right now; should I pay it off? I foresee having to buy a new car in the next year or so, so I was debating on paying off the school loan or just saving up to buy a car outright. What do you goons suggest?

What is the interest rate on the loan?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The only thing that is gonna solve that dude's problem is income.

Once you clear a little more income, you should probably snowball your debts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Do you think its better to live in a high cost of living area? Assuming the salary increase for the area covers real estate differences, certain goods being relatively inelastic, my disposable income percentage in a higher cost of living area should translate to more actual dollars.

Or has the Illuminati figured it all out, and the salary increase doesn't cover everything like that?

please do not start this derail

answer: it depends

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

After I got out of college and started my first big boy salaried job a few months ago, I was granted ownership of the sum total of Luigi Thirteen's "investment advice" to my dad, namely that iPods are cool so you should buy Apple. Ten years later I own 74 shares worth around $8500 for a 1000% gain :toot:. Obviously keeping it all in once place is not ideal but I don't really know what to do with it! I don't want to be a :pcgaming: day trader by any means, but I don't think I should be leaving it in there forever despite how UP UP UP it's gone. I know nothing about investing beyond participating in an LP of Wall Street Kid. My dad said that I shouldn't sell it unless I need to because of capital gains taxes. How does that work?

For reference, I'm 25 years old, single, taking home $3,500 a month after taxes and a 10% 401k contribution. I have $20,000 in student loans at 3.4%, a brand-new $9,000 auto loan at 3.7%, and no credit card debt since I'm paranoid about paying anything I rack up on it off right away. With my salary I'm able to shovel nearly half into a savings account which I never touch outside of emergencies. I am a filthy millennial who cares nothing about home ownership.

You should be aggressively contributing to tax-advantaged retirement plans once you have a sufficient emergency fund (6 mos expenses). You could also pay down some loans early, but your rates are pretty decent so that's less of a concern.

Capital gains taxes mean that you are taxed on the profit you make from sale of stock. Back of envelope, your long term capital gains tax rate is 15%. This means that if you sold your shares for $8,500 earning a $7,500 profit after sales costs, you would owe the government 15% of the $7,500 profit and would pocket the remaining 85%.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I didn't want to be the one to say this first but I agree with Zeta 100% and alarm bells were going off in my head before I got to the end of the second sentence. If you were making $6000 a month instead of $2400 a month I would write it off as an amusing distraction but you're spending two months salary a year on her education -- if you buy in to the traditional engagement BS, that's what is typically reserved for an engagement ring. But maybe you're just a super altruistic guy or something :iiam:

Even if he's a super altruistic guy, it's not viable for him if he's taking out a loan to pay for his girlfriend's education. If her education is a necessity that requires loans, she should be the one responsible for taking them out and repaying them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

This situation has more red flags than a May Day parade in Moscow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you absolutely needed a new car, you could also have cut five grand by buying a Civic LX rather than the Si. Based on the decision making, it's tough to take your complaints about the loan payoff being soooo sloooooow seriously.

How underwater are you on the loan?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You had two accident repairs. Your car is not in "very good" condition.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm not sure selling a twice repaired car is a great idea. He will be well underwater on it, and he'll still need reliable transportation afterwards.

Yes, don't sell the car - just try never to be quite so stupid again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FCKGW posted:

I'm getting a settlement check from insurance from an auto accident. Can I just sign this over to the dealer as a down or do I need to deposit it first?

Why on earth would you want to do that? Don't you want a record of having received the check and deposited it in to your accounts?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Since it's all going towards a down what's the difference? Depositing the check and the transferring it all out seems unnecessary and just adding delays to the transaction.

I wrote a long post but you want a paper trail of EVERYTHING. You want to be able to prove, if necessary, that you received a specific amount of money from your insurance company. If you sign the check to the dealer, how do you plan to do that?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What other things are you trying to achieve with your cash money?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The RDSP has the best possible rate of return, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Track reimbursements and associated expenses separately so that you can make sure they reconcile and that your employer isn't accidentally or deliberately screwing you.