Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Hillridge posted:

My existing portfolio is super heavy on SQ, which is great because I loaded up on it like 2 years ago and the gains have been insane, but I think it's losing momentum, and I'll probably tap out to free up the capital soon. Curious if anyone else here is still holding it and has an exit point in mind. I think it still has room to run, I just think I'll be able to make better use of the money it's tying up right now. I'm both fascinated by options and mad that I didn't get into them sooner. Ignoring the WSB style YOLO plays, just plain old boring basics like selling covered calls makes for a nice addition to the toolbox. I'm sticking with moves that have very well defined and capped risks until I have more experience, but I do plan to allocate a small % of my available cash to a weekly lottery ticket just for fun.

I’m a big fan of selling covered calls, and it sounds like your position in SQ is an ideal use case. I love when I have a solid position that’s done well and is close to my exit point, and I can squeeze some semi consistent little dividends out for a couple of months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I don’t think so. I haven’t heard of anyone needing to pay back a stimulus check that was sent out based on a filed tax return.

Yeah now that I look it up you don't owe it if your status changes.

I heard this as an advance on a tax credit you get on the next filing but it appears that if you are paid more than your status at filing, you just have a $0 for that line on the tax form.

And if you did qualify for some stimmy later on (most common would be a kid born this year that you claim as a dependent on 2021 tax returns) then you would still get that credit on your returns.

Who knows if we'll get one more but they really did limit the window of income on this third payment so sucks if anyone filed taxes too early and just barely missed that window.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Ineffiable posted:

Who knows if we'll get one more but they really did limit the window of income on this third payment so sucks if anyone filed taxes too early and just barely missed that window.

I don't think so, seems like we are almost ready to open er up for real this time. But the checks have been nice, maybe the feds should give us a nice check once a year instead of spending all the money on corporate bailouts!?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Michael Corleone posted:

I don't think so, seems like we are almost ready to open er up for real this time. But the checks have been nice, maybe the feds should give us a nice check once a year instead of spending all the money on corporate bailouts!?

I hate any legislation that would enable you

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

paternity suitor posted:

I’m a big fan of selling covered calls, and it sounds like your position in SQ is an ideal use case. I love when I have a solid position that’s done well and is close to my exit point, and I can squeeze some semi consistent little dividends out for a couple of months.

I 100% agree with you here, but I'm under 100 shares by enough that buying up to 100 at current prices (especially when I'm looking to exit soon) just to sell some CCs isn't appealing.

I did do this on AMC since it's a lot cheaper and I bought in too close to the peak. Buying up to 100 knocked my cost basis down far enough that I can sell CCs on it with strikes where I would be happy to get assigned, and if it stays low, I'll eventually be positive on the stock without a spike.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

TheParadigm posted:

I'm new to this all too but as far as I can tell there's a few schools of thought money all competing for your dough:

Volatile daytradables (varies enough you can buy low sell high within a day and turn a profit)
Medium term/weektrading investables (i think ___ is in a slump but will recover/turnaround in the near future)
Looooonng term holds. (this company isn't going anywhere, is solid, and will pay dividends/grow/be worth more over the next year or few).
Then, if you have options, there's other opportunities like day trading options on volatile stocks, or looking for stable ones to Wheel on, or just doing long-term investing with 2 year calls, or the poor man's covered call.

From what I've seen poking around the next speculation might be in Uranium, as there's a good chance we see nuclear power coming back with Biden's clean energy plan. DNN is the next sundial, maybe, for example.

I will say the options chain on the fidelity website looks cleaner/scrolls faster than the ATP one(which I've been using); its only crime is it doesn't have an auto-update in frame so you have to refresh everything.

What I could use a hand with is getting charts set up in active trader. There's so many settings/indicators it is a little overwhelming. What are the most critical/your faves, besides VWAP?

https://old.reddit.com/r/stocks/comments/l8rhr3/weekend_gme_thread_homework_for_all_lets_stop/

this influenced my decision to go with fidelity, but they're asss about options in general. I was thinking of swapping, and was interested in InteractiveBrokers until I saw they were one of bad brokers that not only restricted trading (pointing to solvency issues) but slammed users.

Does anyone have experience with options through Vanguard? Is it easy or hard?

For volatile daytradables, don't you run the risk of getting flagged as a day trader if you consistently do more than X trades a day? It's my understanding that this requires at least a $25k account balance (more like $30k if you actually want to try and daytrade)

The options chain in Active Trader Pro is better than the website, and updates constantly.

Here's my ATP question - I have extended hours trading enabled on my account, but it seems like if I try to submit a ticket through ATP it always treats it as a normal hours ticket. I tried to sell out of a position I had pre-market, and despite my limit being hit and exceeded, it just sat there. I cancelled it, went to the website instead, and it got filled immediately. How can I specify that I want to trade a certain ticket in extended hours vs just queuing one up for market open?

Totally unrelated question - When will options be available for RBLX?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Hillridge posted:

Here's my ATP question - I have extended hours trading enabled on my account, but it seems like if I try to submit a ticket through ATP it always treats it as a normal hours ticket. I tried to sell out of a position I had pre-market, and despite my limit being hit and exceeded, it just sat there. I cancelled it, went to the website instead, and it got filled immediately. How can I specify that I want to trade a certain ticket in extended hours vs just queuing one up for market open?

Under the "Trade & Orders" menu there's an entry for "Directed Trade & Extended Hours". Click that thing, fill out the fields and go. Only two fields are not intuitive: it'll ask for specific routing (which as far as I can tell doesn't matter, I just choose whatever the top entry is), and you have to make sure the TIF (time in force) field says 9:28.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

saintonan posted:

Under the "Trade & Orders" menu there's an entry for "Directed Trade & Extended Hours". Click that thing, fill out the fields and go. Only two fields are not intuitive: it'll ask for specific routing (which as far as I can tell doesn't matter, I just choose whatever the top entry is), and you have to make sure the TIF (time in force) field says 9:28.

Thanks! I like ATP the more I learn about it, but figuring some of it out has been annoying.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So how concerned are we that the CEO, CFO and CCO of NDRA sold off huge chunks of their personal holdings for less than a dollar in Dec/Jan?

http://openinsider.com/search?q=ndra

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Vape store cashier update: he got out of cciv at 40, got upset at missing out on all that profit, is down 2000 buying 65 calls. I told him about some degenerate biotech plays, but I don’t think ndra is juicy enough for him to bite just yet

Wait, what? Tell me more about this. It sounds hilariously bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Elysium posted:

So how concerned are we that the CEO, CFO and CCO of NDRA sold off huge chunks of their personal holdings for less than a dollar in Dec/Jan?

http://openinsider.com/search?q=ndra
I'm not there's a lot of reasons they could've sold like they need money now for a mortgage or something.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Hillridge posted:

Thanks! I like ATP the more I learn about it, but figuring some of it out has been annoying.

Yeah unfortunately the learning curve is higher than with some other apps. TOS has really set the bar high for what trading software can do.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Michael Corleone posted:

There's actually a minimum income for children provision of the bill. It's not a huge amount but it's a really important first step towards something bigger.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Coulda voted for Yang

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Doggles posted:

I'm a fan of the hours of the Shanghai Stock Exchange. Its daily hours are 9:30 to 3, but it also closes from 11:30 to 1 so everyone can have a lunch break. :3:

But seriously, for the guys actually on the floor, how do they eat / use the restroom etc.? Do they have people who "sub" in for them when they need a break? I assumed they were on the floor non-stop and don't eat lunch.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I would have voted for Yang and been happy about it if he had stayed in long enough to be on the ballot in Texas. I think he still did a lot of good running and promoting ideas like minimum income and I cant help but think he deserves at least some credit for this particular provision.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

I would have voted for Yang and been happy about it if he had stayed in long enough to be on the ballot in Texas. I think he still did a lot of good running and promoting ideas like minimum income and I cant help but think he deserves at least some credit for this particular provision.

Maybe at some point we can stop means testing every loving thing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

But seriously, for the guys actually on the floor, how do they eat / use the restroom etc.? Do they have people who "sub" in for them when they need a break? I assumed they were on the floor non-stop and don't eat lunch.

The exchange floor isn't as hectic as it looks in photos. Maybe it was in the old days when people were running around hurling paper orders at each other, but in 2007 when I was there it was mostly just people standing around, occasionally pushing buttons on screens. I would imagine that it's even more automated now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dems love to negotiate against themselves. Party line is because it's "reaching across the aisle and creating unity" but in reality it's because they also do not want to Help People. That's the REAL unity with the GOP

Remember when the $2,000 stimmy became a $1,400 with $600 down payment lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dems love to negotiate against themselves. Party line is because it's "reaching across the aisle and creating unity" but in reality it's because they also do not want to Help People. That's the REAL unity with the GOP

Remember when the $2,000 stimmy became a $1,400 with $600 down payment lol

Good, knowing what people were planning on doing with it it's better spent on $400 nuts for jets we'll never use

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Baddog posted:

Maybe at some point we can stop means testing every loving thing.

There is no means testing on the child tax credit at least. But yeah, the means testing on the lump sum is just dumb. Until the GOP stops acting in lock step to try to hold up any and all legislative efforts by the Democrats pretty much all legislation is going to get hung up by one or two people like Joe Manchin. See the minimum wage increase for another example of this.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

So on a less political note, are bold predictions about stocks ok in the thread? Because I have a bold prediction about stocks.

My bold prediction which probably isnt actually that bold is that ENDRA will be pushing $4.00 by Friday. I think the major contributor to this is that large numbers of people saw what happened with the price of EYES after it received FDA approval and are now buying up any pharma stock for companies with pending approvals. Combine this with stimulus checks starting to hit bank accounts in the coming week and ENDRA starting to get traction in various penny stock subs and you have a pretty solid setup for a big run from retail investors.

Of course, the problem that creates for people that have been sitting on ENDRA stock is how to react. When I bought the stock my expectation was that FDA approval would spike the stock to $4 or so, maybe ever $5. Now I am expecting it to hit that price point regardless. It actually seems possible that if FDA approval comes in the near future the stock could getin into the $8+ territory. Of course FDA approval isnt guaranteed so taking advantage of the current run(assuming it happens) is an opportunity to take a pretty nice profit regardless of what happens with the FDA. So, my plan for the week ahead is to increase my stake in ENDRA 50% on Monday morning, then Friday at market close sell 50% of my total position. The remainder Ill ride out till FDA approval/denial.

So thats my book report thanks for taking the time to read it. Im curious to see how I feel rereading this Friday after what will probably have been a pretty eventful week. That is assuming I even remember the post by then since I tend to be easily distracted.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah now that I look it up you don't owe it if your status changes.

I heard this as an advance on a tax credit you get on the next filing but it appears that if you are paid more than your status at filing, you just have a $0 for that line on the tax form.

And if you did qualify for some stimmy later on (most common would be a kid born this year that you claim as a dependent on 2021 tax returns) then you would still get that credit on your returns.

Yeah the closest thing, I heard about to this was in Canada, some people were getting income supplements or UBI that they didn’t qualify for and for a letter later on telling them they had to pay it back. Though I’m not very well read in on the details.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There is no means testing on the child tax credit at least. But yeah, the means testing on the lump sum is just dumb. Until the GOP stops acting in lock step to try to hold up any and all legislative efforts by the Democrats pretty much all legislation is going to get hung up by one or two people like Joe Manchin. See the minimum wage increase for another example of this.

Unless I'm misreading things here I don't think that's right.

https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/602389/families-get-a-3000-child-tax-credit-for-2021

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Its insane how expensive the FT still is. 40 bucks a month for digital.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I was indeed wrong. That's super disappointing. Even more so since the means testing is more severe on single parent households.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

quote:

The credit begins to phase out if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is above $400,000 on a joint return, or over $200,000 on a single or head-of-household return.

400k is like the top 1% or 2% of couples but the 150k cutoff for the $2000 $1400 is about half of all couples

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Anyone who makes more than me should get nothing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Shear Modulus posted:

400k is like the top 1% or 2% of couples but the 150k cutoff for the $2000 $1400 is about half of all couples

I got married in december and we've been waiting to file because of this... is that correct or am I wasting my time?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
We had a kid, and my wife didn't work for most of the year due to covid, so I get all the sweet stimmy checks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

drunken officeparty posted:

Anyone who makes more than me should get nothing.

Unironically this, but also I should get theirs direct deposited into my etrade account so I can get some more of that sweet, sweet NDRA.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

HamsterPolice posted:

My wife got it in print for her work for the beginning of the lockdown and I was in heaven. I looked up how much it would cost to continue and almost choked. I now split a digital subscription with a friend.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HamsterPolice posted:

https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
What’s the general consensus here on how much you keep in savings vs the stock market?

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

What’s the general consensus here on how much you keep in savings vs the stock market?

what I've always understood the 'rule' to be was 3-6 months of your income in savings + whatever you money you wanna burn man

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005

Burn Zone posted:

what I've always understood the 'rule' to be was 3-6 months of your income in savings + whatever you money you wanna burn man

I always understood it to be living expenses and not income. But I think at this point it also boils down to what are you comfortable with, do you have a family, age, etc.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

Huh, I saw another source that said it phased out at 150 just like the stimulus. Weird.

In any case, you're just loving upper middle class like doctors, lawyers, middle managers ... and guys who are good with trading options. The real rich are rarely gonna give themselves much salary so they dont have any "agi" to speak of. So we make more regulations and laws and irs bullshit to make sure that no one "rich" gets anything they shouldn't, just for the optics of the whole thing. Stop means testing, and just raise taxes on yachts or something.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Burn Zone posted:

It’s not for me. My working poor cousin opened a Robin Hood account and put $30 in SDNL because of Reddit...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

not to get too off topic, but the new elements of the child tax credit are specifically things that senator bennet from colorado has been pushing since the 2016/2017 legislative sessions, and by all accounts he was the one who really worked to get them included in the senate bill, so i would credit him much more than yang

Pillowpants posted:

the rule of thumb i've heard is that if you plan on using your savings on something in the next 5 years, keep it in an hysa or cds. if your saving goals are on a longer time horizon you can consider investing in a conservative mix of bonds and equity, with the caveat that you have to be ok with putting off your planned purchase date by years if the market has a drawn out downturn that exceeds that 5 year time horizon

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Wow that crazy and cool.

Pillowpants posted:

You want 3-6 months of disposable income in case of emergencies.