Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I signed up with E*Trade because they advertise $0 commissions, but each stock purchase I look at has a $6.95 commission - what gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

no, money down

e: "E*TRADE charges $0 commission for online US-listed stock, ETF, and options trades. Exclusions may apply and E*TRADE reserves the right to charge variable commission rates."

I was looking at buying VW, and I got that having a commission, but Disney had a commission fee yesterday, and now it doesn't, so I don't know what the gently caress.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Are you looking at OTC stuff?

Nope, just regular old stocks - maybe it was just a one time glitch? US stocks seem commission free now, but yesterday everything had a fee.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Huh. I bought IBIO this morning and it's seen a nice little jump today; it's still super cheap.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

nightwisher posted:

Any weed stocks in particular worth looking into? I can see that particular market doing well over the next few years.

There seemed to be a lot of activity with SNDL lately, if you want a cheap option.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I'd like to invest in a Vanguard stock long term. Vanguard is pretty darn reliable, but ... maybe VUG or VGT. Any suggestions, and will it just continue to go up?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jokes posted:

You can find good Vanguard ETFs by searching for Vanguard ETFs through your broker. Then you can determine which is good for your purposes: total stock market, total bond market, small cap, etc. Vanguard has very low expense ratios but they still vary. Keep in mind the dividends as well. You can find their historical data everywhere on the internet— be mindful to not rely on 10-yr data since that’s near the end of the recession.

Or just go to Vanguard directly and check out their mutual funds if the ETFs aren’t your jam.

Interesting. Most of their stocks are flying high at the moment; maybe one of their mutual funds is the way to go. It looks like they have a $1k minimum, which sounds reasonable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

IBIO had a nice little jump yesterday, and it's carrying into today.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mongeese posted:

ZOM flying again today. Up 455% in a month. Wonder when I should sell out of this thing but number keep going up.

I just set what I thought was a reasonable limit and got rid of it.

Article: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/zomedica-stock-330-one-month-180326451.html

quote:

The stock recently benefited from an endorsement from Netflix’s “Tiger King” star Carole Baskin. While it turns out Baskin was paid to promote the stock, there is another upcoming and more tangible catalyst for investors to get behind; this is due to the upcoming launch of Truforma, Zomedica’s point-of-care (POC) diagnostic device for the detection of thyroid disease in dogs and cats and adrenal disease in dogs.

The platform will hit the market on March 30, and ahead of the product’s debut, the company has also just nabbed a vital distribution deal.

Last week, Zomedica announced an agreement with Miller Veterinary Supply who will distribute Truforma.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to hang on to it for a bit, but it may have plateau'd for now.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mongeese posted:

ZOM flying again today. Up 455% in a month. Wonder when I should sell out of this thing but number keep going up.

Red posted:

I just set what I thought was a reasonable limit and got rid of it.

Article: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/zomedica-stock-330-one-month-180326451.html

It doesn't seem unreasonable to hang on to it for a bit, but it may have plateau'd for now.

It got up to $1.95 - what did you end up doing?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Virigoth posted:

Electric cars are great but I just want the drat thing to drive itself.

Just doing a quick search on a few major automakers and their current stock prices:

GM: 54.41
Toyota: 150.86
Volkswagen: 21.88
Daimler: 20.12
Ford: 11.51

Toyota just overtook VW as the world's biggest auto manufacturer, so I get it. GM is putting a lot into EVs, but is having supply issues. I have little faith in Ford, and don't know enough about Daimler. Maybe Volkswagen is worth gambling on?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Aruan posted:

a few of the bigger named hedge fund longs are very, very bullish on GM. the argument is that GM's share price doesn't reflect their self driving technology (which is quite advanced), and once we start seeing more implementation this will change. steve eisman in particular has argued that within a few years GM's self driving tech will be worth more than the entire company.

I guess my question is, between GM and VW, who has or will have more of their respective markets as time goes on? I don't know enough, but it seems like GM will be fighting a lot of competition in the US, while VW may have less rivals in Europe; I also don't know how GM does overseas, but VW is obviously everywhere. I also have no idea how VW has rebounded from the emissions scam (though I'm on my second VW myself, and am coming up on my Golf's 11th anniversary).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

pmchem posted:

why are you making this decision on share price and not other metrics like market cap

That's just what I looked up out of curiousity and used for a lower-effort post.

If there's a way to post a stock data snapshot (like Google's or something) like how we can post Tweets, lemme know.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Framboise posted:

So I'm absolutely, completely new to all of this, but I've been interested in stocks for a while. I'm completely clueless on where to begin though.

I scanned through the OP in this thread but it doesn't look like it's been updated in nearly 11 years, so I figured I'd ask a few questions to get my feet in the water in case that information isn't up to date.

- Does it matter what service I use? My cousin is starting to get into this (he's got these big dreams about dogecoin I guess) and told me to join Robinhood, but I've been aware that they've been doing some crooked poo poo what with what happened in the past couple weeks.

- What's a good source for learning all the terminology, strategies, etc?

- What's a reliable way to have money grow? Common pitfalls to avoid?

I just figure getting into actual stocks is a better use of my money than my current trend of buying and flipping reserve list MTG cards.

I don't have a whole lot of money so this is gonna be pretty small stuff for now, but I do want to start investing and get my foot in the door while I'm relatively financially secure.

Here's my advice:

- Have a 401k set up through work, and contribute at least the maximum percentage that is matched by your employer. If your company offers a 401k, they likely have a finance person for free advice; talk to them, and ask what makes sense for your age/salary/goals. Plus, your 401k may have only certain options; so you might do independent research, but find out you can't invest in that thing you're excited about.
- Set up an IRA; you can do this through several companies, but your bank is likely the most convenient option. If you leave your job, having an IRA means you have a place to dump your 401k, if you want to.
- What bank are you with? There are a lot of lovely banks in the US, but credit unions are generally preferable. You may qualify for one or several, and they provide better interest rates and benefits than regular old banks. These same credit unions also provide optimal insurance options as well.
- Make sure you're set for insurance (car/life/house/rent/whatever), and have ~6 months' salary set aside in savings, for emergencies.

If you have all that poo poo together, then you can worry about investing. If you don't have a lot of money, then gambling on stocks may not be where you want to go right now; it's probably safer to come up with a budget (have a clear idea of your monthly expenses and what your disposable income is), and figure out how to set a goal (save $2k in 6 months by stopping eating out or purchasing clothes that are too expensive), then come up with a plan to use the money you've saved.

Again, with a Credit Union, you have some simple and safe investing options - here's Navy Federal's offerings of savings certificates: https://www.navyfederal.org/checking-savings/savings/certificates/easystart-certificate.html. Starting out small like this isn't a bad idea; again, if you don't have a ton of disposable income, you may not want to lock money away that you might need in an unplanned emergency 3 months from now. With something like this, you have some guaranteed growth and you can start small.

If you have a few grand you want to grow, use that free advice person at work. Otherwise, you may want to think about investment companies (Charles Schwab, JP Morgan, etc.); I have always stuck with Vanguard, either as an investment option through 401k, stocks, or just recently, their products you can buy direct. It may be worth calling them, and making sure you understand their fee schedule, and how fees are taken out and all that jazz.

If you still want to do stocks, there's no shortage of simple brokers; here's a list of some of the available places to go: https://www.stockbrokers.com/guides/free-stock-trading. Again, if you really want to go that route, do research and wait before committing to anything; I find it best to treat it like a 401k - do your research, invest with a long-term plan, and don't look at it (and worry) every day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

One other thing - there is a thread for long-term investing that has good information: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Framboise posted:

Thanks for the tips, all. It looks like I have quite a bit of research to do.

To answer a few thoughts though:

- I don't have a 401k through work; I do know that my employer does offer a 403b though, but I haven't looked too deeply into it because I don't understand the difference between the two. I am getting a raise, as far as I know, later this month, so it wouldn't hurt to start a retirement plan and get some investment advice via that.
- An IRA wouldn't hurt. I'm turning 31 tomorrow and have no other retirement plan at the moment; should I be looking at standard or Roth IRA?
- I'm with a bank I used to work at but quit working at because being a teller was hell for me. I honestly have no love or attachment to the bank, in fact it's more bitterness than anything, but I've stayed simply because I live close to it and changing all my autopays would be kind of a pain in the rear end.
- I'm good. When I say I don't have a lot of money to invest at the moment, I mean that in context of "after having all my other affairs in order". Anything I choose to invest is, as far as I can see, safe as it's surplus money. I just know that my money is doing jack and poo poo sitting in my savings account at the bank and I'd rather let that money make money but still be somewhat liquid (not super interested in CDs, etc) should an unprecedented emergency come up. From what I understand, stocks and be bought and sold at one's leisure, so being able to let go of some in a pinch would be nice (even if not ideal).

And my "budgeting" is okay. I skip buying extraneous stuff so I have more money for hobbies as it is. I'm just kind of looking at this as a new "hobby" as it were, except it's hobby where I'm making money rather than burning it.

I'm not the most financially literate person (which is why I want to learn!) but I've come a long way since getting out on my own-- I've gone from scraping at my safety net a couple years ago to having a couple grand above my typical comfort zone above my safety net (not even including Trumpbux/impending Bidenbux). :unsmith:

tl;dr: I just wanna get better at not being poor. Getting out of this apartment would be nice.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to start looking into a credit union, yeah. I used to be with a local credit union, but after a couple unnecessary disputes I left them.

I would put up a bullet list of questions in the other thread - they're super helpful!

Starting your savings account(s) now is the way to go, friend. Getting those set up is key to having a solid future.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Femtosecond posted:

Is there any rational explanation at all for TSLA buying poo poo tons of bitcoin or is this just Musk wanting to pump bitcoin for reasons?

He

He's not smart

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Framboise posted:

I'll look into the investment thread. Thanks, everyone. Sorry if I disrupted the thread with unrelated questions.

This is a loose thread, I don't think apologies are needed. Good luck out there, and do post in the investment thread.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I put SNGX on my watch list before opening, and didn't look at it again until now.

Fooey.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CHFS is having a nice day

Red fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 12, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Buy more It means they're on discount

I'm thinking of grabbing Disney if they go to 183.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Why is everything down today?

quote:

Buy Low

Sell High

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Omne posted:

Is it time to pull the plug on AMC and BB? Collectively I'm down 40%

Do you want to say how much you're in for, and at what price?

If you didn't sell high, I don't see the point in selling now, unless you're dying for cash.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Omne posted:

BB: 35 @ #13.35
AMC: 33 @ $11.74.

Kicking myself for not selling everything on 1/27 when I would have doubled my investment. Live and learn I guess

A lot is unknown.

Things are very strange right now, and the few experiments of releasing major films online haven't been earth-shaking enough to destroy the theater industry (Disney is holding on to Black Widow, for example); the question for AMC is being able to pay down the debt they've built up when things are back to normal.

So, in all likelihood, you have a little while until you can sell this for a profit. In the meantime, you'll make a little back in the way of dividends. If you're concerned, just stay up to date with their financial reports, and you can look up stock projections for reassurance. Selling for a loss is tax deductible, but it gets complicated; no reason to kick yourself for not being able to predict the future.

Edit: No idea about Blackberry tho

Red
Apr 15, 2003

iSurrender posted:

I'd like to point out that it's a mistake to hold onto stock just because you bought it high and are at an unrealized loss, if you believe there is some other stock that will rise faster if you take the cash out now.

Agreed, but he's in at 11; if he were in at 30, that's a different story.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

iSurrender posted:

I dont really think it is. I think your money should be in the stocks you think are most likely to go up soon (or safe long-term options), and the past doesnt matter.

Well, is the money you're talking about here disposable?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

pixaal posted:

It's not, the money was spent on the stock, it lost value it could lose more. There it may never return to that value.

If you know for a fact that it will stay under 30 until 2031 are you going to hold for 10 years to break even? You could yank it out and throw it into something else and make more money.

Win some, lose some. If you force everything to be a winnner you end up with a portfolio of -99.99% shame.

No arguments here, but I think it's worth consideration to hold for a bit; but, at the same time, I try to think long term when I buy, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Great post, thank you!

This is embarrassing but what do you mean by "0.75% ER "?

Also, what stocks/ETFs would you recommend?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expense_ratio

(Vanguard's are typically the best/most competitive)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jokes posted:

You don't pay the ER, it just affects the earnings of the fund.

It's like an operating expense. You don't personally pay Tim Cook's salary, it just comes out of AAPL's earnings.

There are various calculators for various types of funds, each with numerous features, depending on how many factors there are.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Looking like another red day. This is bullshit. Stocks are supposed to go up.

Jobs numbers took a big greasy poo poo on the market.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Should I buy AAPL?

What is your plan/intent for stock trading?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

My main intent is to invest my money in my savings so I make more of it, instead of it just sitting there.

If depends on the stock.

I feel that AAPL is making/made good investments with their CPUs and getting into the car business.

They seem to be making the right moves into continuing their status as "one of the world's mega-corprorations. So I'll probably hold on to it for some time unless it stagnates for a while and I doubt this.

Other stocks I invest with a stop loss capped on after certain percent and hop out as soon as the loss is triggered after making double digits gains, like I did with TPIC.

Well, are you thinking you're going to be checking and selling/buying every day, and looking for lots of short-term gains, or do you plan to build a portfolio then leave it alone for a while?

I think it's helpful to picture what your portfolio would look like, and for a long-term plan, look at your (estimated) dividends, if you have a lot invested in stocks that hand out dividends. There are smarter people than me here than can offer advice in regards to what might work best for you (though depending on your broker, they may offer such advice for free or a small fee!).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

jokes posted:

Yeah I guess I was a bit derisive/mocking, I’m sorry. You should never invest money you’re not okay with losing. If it’s for short-term savings, like an E fund, there’s no reason not to put it in a savings account. If it’s for long-term savings, like retirement, you should go with index funds. If you want to try and pick stocks (generally not advisable for long term savings), AAPL is an excellent pick.

But at the end of the day there’s always a chance of a flash crash or a depression or a recession or a bubble popping or whatever. These are systemic risks and all stocks are exposed to it. Know what isn’t? Cash in a savings account and, I guess, bonds.

(this is good advice)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Do you have an IRA? Having a 401k is nice but you should also be maxing out your ira every year before anything else, barring shenanigans like the GME situation.

This is key; if nothing else, an IRA is a good treasure chest if you leave your job and want to dump your 401k (if you change jobs a lot, it may be too complex managing like 8 401ks) - just note you pay taxes now on that rollover. But you should be putting something into an IRA; better to do at least a little now than hitting the wall on your limits when you try to catch up in your 50s.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

No. I feel my 401k will be good enough for retirement savings.

https://money.cnn.com/retirement/guide/IRA_Roth.moneymag/index.htm

quote:

A Roth IRA is a retirement savings account that allows your money to grow tax-free. You fund a Roth with after-tax dollars, meaning you've already paid taxes on the money you put into it. In return for no up-front tax break, your money grows and grows tax free, and when you withdraw at retirement, you pay no taxes. That's right - every penny goes straight in your pocket.

Again, if nothing else, it's just a box you can use for dumping your 401k if you quit your job, buuuuut it would be a good idea to have one. You should have a lot of options for retirement.

Edit: Just to add, many banks and good credit unions offer IRAs, and even give you a bonus for starting one. It's literally free money.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

if you max your 401k do you need an IRA? I thought after a certain income level you can't do IRAs

https://www.fidelity.com/retirement-ira/ira-rules-faq

quote:

There are no income limits for Traditional IRAs,1 however there are income limits for tax deductible contributions.

There are income limits for Roth IRAs. As a single filer, you can make a full contribution to a Roth IRA if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $124,000 in 2020. For 2021, you can make a full contribution if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $125,000. If your modified adjusted gross income is more than $124,000 but less than $139,000, a partial contribution is allowed in 2020. A partial contribution is allowed for 2021 if your modified adjusted gross income is more than $125,000 but less than $140,000. If you are married and filing jointly, you can make a full contribution to a Roth IRA if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $196,000 in 2020. For 2021, you can make a full contribution if your modified adjusted gross income is less than $198,000. If your modified adjusted gross income is more than $196,000 but less than $206,000, a partial contribution is allowed in 2020. A partial contribution is allowed for 2020 if your modified adjusted gross income is more than $198,000 but less than $208,000.

The fine print differs between institutions, of course.

Edit: This is probably better suited for the long-term investment thread, so if you have questions, please go there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

I would strongly advise you to reconsider. As much as having extra savings for an emergency seems useful now, imagine how much worse not having extra savings will be when you're in your sixties and seventies.

And if you aren't hitting the income limit for a Roth, keep in mind because you already paid tax on the money going in you won't be giving a slice to the government when you take it out. In other words all the gains your making are totally untouched, it's one of the few ways to keep your money untaxed until you become rich enough to figure out how to hide all your money in the caimans.

As a follow-up, you wouldn't put all your stock investments into one stock. Similarly, you wouldn't put all of your investments into one type of fund. An IRA is another option you can count on in retirement.

You have tons of options in regards to an IRA with a varying amount of risk - some IRAs are completely risk free (e.g., an IRA CD, though the interest rate is much lower, of course).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Anyone buying IBIO right now? I bought them a while ago at $2.04 and sold at $2.80, and they're back to $2.05.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://newsfilter.io/articles/volkswagen-stock-rallies-in-frankfurt-on-reports-of-possible-porsche-ipo-28dae910709a93316459dc623fc1910e

quote:

Volkswagen (OTCPK:VWAGY) rose some 3% Thursday on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange on a report that the German automaker is considering spinning off Porsche in the medium term through an initial public offering potentially worth up to $30.2B.

So that's what that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Just wanted to catch this post from a couple pages back.

You can roll over a normal 401(k) into a Traditional IRA and you will pay no taxes on that transaction.

If you roll over a normal 401(k) into a Roth IRA, that is a conversion from a defer-tax-till-later tax advantaged arrangement to a pay-tax-up-front tax arrangement, so you gotta... pay tax up front.

There a couple of reasons why you might want to do that: 1) you may be keeping your Traditional-IRA space empty on purpose in order to allow you to perform the backdoor Roth dance without paying taxes; or 2) you may be having a very low income year and want to make this conversion at a moment when the taxes you pay on it will be lower.

Many of us try to have a balance of pay-up-front and pay-later tax advantaged accounts. This acts as a hedge against tax policy risk: that is, taxes might go up in the future, so if I defer all my taxes till when I'm taking withdrawals in retirement, I risk winding up paying more tax than if I pay all my taxes now: but, vice-versa, maybe tax rates will be lower for me then, in which case it will be better if I defer. If I'm neutral on my prediction of tax rates, I should try to do some of one and some of the other.

I should also note here, for anyone not clear on this, that in both the pay-up-front and the pay-later, you are still getting a huge tax advantage. That's because in a non-tax-advantaged account -say, your stock brokerage account - you paid taxes on your income, up front, and then you also pay taxes on your capital gains, later. So that's an up-front and later tax situation.

This is why everyone should max their tax advantaged savings space before loving around with stocks in a regular brokerage account. If you're an American and you're not doing that, you are paying more taxes than you have to. Why would you do that?

Finally, for those of you who mentioned the income limits on Roth IRAs, please google "backdoor Roth" and then also google "mega backdoor Roth".

Yes! Thank you for the clarification! And everyone should have an IRA!