Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

cockle reporting in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Parodies of tiocfaidh ár lá include:

Chucky
an English-language pronunciation spelling of tiocfaidh, it is slang for an Irish Republican (sometimes shortened to Chuck).[42]

"Tiocfaidh Armani"
mocking Sinn Féin's move towards respectability from the peace process[43][44]

"Tiocfaidh Ar La La"
on T-shirts depicting the eponymous Teletubby as an IRA member.[45]

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

On June 2, 2018, the tenth anniversary of "Loss", the original strip was replaced by an edit of the comic titled "Found".[7] While the first three panels remained the same, in the last panel Ethan instead looks at the audience with a smirk on his face. A day later, the original strip was restored with no explanation for the replacement.[7] Julia Alexander from Polygon considered "Found" to be an acknowledgement of the status "Loss" had achieved as a meme, comparing the evolution of the strip to Pepe the Frog.[10]

On June 2, 2019, for the eleventh anniversary, the strip was replaced once again by an edit of the comic titled "Cross".[11] Like "Found", this edit replaced the last panel with one where the birth was successful, however the child's face is a minimalist version of the comic itself. Unlike the previous year, this edit did not receive much attention.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_hundred

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

The meme is a reference to a Twitter post on 12 June 2016 by Ben Ward, an Australian cartoonist using the online handle "pixelatedboat".[1] His Twitter joke describes a fictional Internet viral phenomenon of a "lovely duck that drinks milkshakes" and is subsequently discovered to be racist. Ward described the Twitter message as "a pretty good joke" summing up a recent trend where popularity that comes via the Internet can be quickly undone by the discovery of something troubling in a person's past. When asked in 2017, Ward was unsure what actually inspired him to make the joke, but recalled it was partially influenced by the Chewbacca Mask Lady.[7][8][9]

In December 2017, Oxford Dictionaries announced that the phrase was a runner-up as "word of the year", losing out to "youthquake".[3] In January 2018, Australia's Macquarie Dictionary named "milkshake duck" its 2017 "word of the year".[10]

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i wonder if weebs get tokyo syndrome? just melting down in the middle of shibuya crossing because nobody gives two shits about them and that they have a ceramic, not plastic, bento box.

as a self-described weeb who somewhat recently went on vacation to Japan, Tokyo loving owned and frankly exceeded my expectations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Authentic "sparkling cider" is a naturally carbonated beverage made from unfiltered apple cider. "Sparkling apple juice", often confused with it and sometimes even labeled as "sparkling cider", as does the popular Martinelli's brand, is filtered, pasteurized, and mechanically carbonated and thus not true cider.

:hai:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

Adams began working on Dwarf Fortress in October 2002, estimating that the project would take two months

lmao

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

t/n: kohaku means planred and white

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

people claiming acronym etymologies for common words (fornication under consent of king, port out starboard home, etc) really piss me off for some reason.

it's like the lupus of linguistics. it is never true

somewhat thread relevant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK#The_etymologies_of_OK

quote:

The general fad is speculated to have existed in spoken or informal written U.S. English for a decade or more before its appearance in newspapers. OK's original presentation as "all correct" was later varied with spellings such as "Oll Korrect" or even "Ole Kurreck".

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

The song is used as the title music for FIFA: Road to World Cup 98, is included on Just Dance 2 as a DLC song, it's a playable song in Just Dance Summer Party and on Lego Rock Band, and is included in the main setlist of Guitar Hero 5.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_ite_domum

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pakled posted:

Roland the Farter (known in contemporary records as Roland le Fartere, Roulandus le Fartere or Roland le Petour) was a medieval flatulist who lived in twelfth-century England. He was given Hemingstone manor in Suffolk and 12 hectares (30 acres) of land in return for his services as a jester for King Henry II. Each year he was obliged to perform "Unum saltum et siffletum et unum bumbulum" (one jump, one whistle, and one fart) for the King's court at Christmas.[1]

stop doxxing me

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

quote:

The current world's longest meat hot dog record holder measured 203.8 metres (669 ft) and was manufactured by Novex of Paraguay in 2011. Sara Lee Corp. made a hot dog, 1,996 feet (608 m) long, in commemoration of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta. Guinness World Records does not reflect this record in any of its publications as of 2006. Speculation surrounding the 1996-foot record is that although the hot dog was most likely continuous, the bun (an integral part of the hot dog unit) was not. In October 2017 the town of Flensburg in Germany claimed to have manufactured the World's longest hot dog with 218 metres (715 ft).

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Petrosian responded to So with a lengthy message including the comments "You are a biggest looser I ever seen in my life! You was doing PIPI in your pampers when I was beating players much more stronger then you! [sic]"

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

alexandriao posted:

view the original, it's animated

definitely the wrong thread for this absolutely vital information

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

a sentence with se
venteen syllables is not
a loving haiku

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

l o l

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

never been happier for this thread to be the opposite of its intended topic

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Malloc Voidstar posted:

The family included George Washington Hitler and his son, Dr. Gay Hitler, who worked as a local dentist between 1922 and 1946.

don’t sign your postswiki edits

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

the normally mild-mannered Peach stated "Strickland is the scum of the Earth, everyone knows that." Given the opportunity to retract the statement moments later by the interviewer, he declined.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

any sufficiently advanced friendly ai would go "holy loving poo poo you people are so goddamn stupid even by your own standards; you're like a plague of locusts upon this planet and god help the galaxy if you ever leave this gravity well" and then proceed to figure out if we can be fixed or if we should just all be sterilized and put out of our misery in the kindest way possible

that's just the plot to the matrix

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

FMguru posted:

gently caress you, boys, up the butt and in the mouth, you queer Aurelius and you fag Furius! You size me up, on the basis of my poems, because they're a little sexy, as not really decent. A poet has to live clean – but not his poems. They only have spice and charm, if somewhat sexy and really not for children – if, in fact, they cause body talk (I'm not talking in teenagers, but in hairy old men who can barely move their stiff bums). But you, because you happen to read about "many thousands of kisses," you think I'm not a man? gently caress you, boys, up the butt and in the mouth![25]

what’s this great work of classical poetry doing itt?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shitposting

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300-page_iPhone_bill

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

i'm glad someone has the guts to say it :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

how the gently caress does it not have catullus 16?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

According to an unpublished Master of Arts thesis, an administrator on 4chan added a filter on the site to change "wapanese" to "weeaboo," but users on the site quickly picked up the word and applied it in an abusive way in place of the already existing term "wapanese."