Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?
I am in a bit of a cinematic rut lately, and would love to check out some films that are not familiar to me and whatnot. I looked a few pages back and did not see such a thread. The criteria may be too narrow, but I think it's a fun idea.

So, post the name of a movie you like that is available for instant watching via netflix. Post the genre, why you like it, and a link if you feel so inclined!

I will start.

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Ichi_the_Killer/60032644?trkid=921403
Ichi The Killer
I just noticed this movie was available for instant viewing and since I had been wanting to watch it for some time I did! It's Japanese thriller by Takeshi Miike. It's gory and gruesome, but we've all probably seen worse on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I've been on a French New Wave kick lately and they have a number of them up there.
Pierrot le Fou
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Pierrot_Le_Fou/60031771?strackid=78f2e5f9e9b7b486_0_srl&strkid=10616994_0_0&trkid=222336
A Woman is a Woman
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/A_Woman_Is_a_Woman/70000934?strackid=78f2e5f9e9b7b486_0_sim&strkid=10616994_0_0&trkid=1266362
Shoot the Piano Player
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Shoot_the_Piano_Player/19599445?strackid=51dc33bb758ba780_0_srl&strkid=641672767_0_0&trkid=222336
The 400 Blows
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_400_Blows/70048120?strackid=51dc33bb758ba780_0_sim&strkid=641672767_0_0&trkid=1266362
Au Revoir Les Enfants
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Au_Revoir_Les_Enfants/60035017?strackid=51dc33bb758ba780_0_sim&strkid=641672767_0_0&trkid=1266362

gopperhopper
May 9, 2005

hey, are those my chips?
Nothing specific to recommend except for this site: http://instantwatcher.com/

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Joe: Those all look awesome, I am all excited now.

Gopper: I never even thought about the possibility of a site like that! I think that will keep me ocupied but I will just leave the thread up for the heck of it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
When I was at home over the holidays I watched a lot of great movies on Instant Netflix:

Fritz Lang's Metropolis- if only because it's one of the giants of classic cinema and science fiction. This is one of the recent extended cuts of it.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch- it's a bitingly funny rock musical about a transgendered rocker from Eastern Germany. The music and the writing are both utterly fantastic and it's become one of my favorite films.

The Big Lebowski- I imagine you've seen it, but if you haven't do it now.

How to Steal a Million Dollars- an oft-forgotten heist movie starring Audrey Hepburn. It's charming and entertaining, if a bit fluffy.

Paris, Je T'Aime- it's a collection of vignettes by different directors all revolving around love and the city of Paris. It gets slow in parts but I enjoyed it as a whole.

There are also a ton of Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes, one season of Dead Like Me and a fantastic recording of The Upright Citizens Brigade's live improv show, ASSSSCAT, if you get sick of movies.

zeus juice
Mar 22, 2007
my name rhymes
Here are some good ones:

Donnie Brasco
Pan's Labyrinth
The Ghost and the Darkness
The Princess Bride
Gattaca
The Count of Monte Cristo
Desperado

These are all relatively mainstream movies, so there's a pretty good chance you've seen them. If you haven't, though...all of them are worthwhile.

Also some good TV shows:
30 Rock (1-3)
Dexter (1 and 2)
Friday Night Lights (1-3)
Weeds (1 and 2)

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
Don't want to go through my whole queue, but here's two that I really remembered:

Brick: It's balls to the wall film noir...but it's set in a modern day high school. You wouldn't think the combination would work, but it really does.

Primer: I don't want to give anything away because I think this movie is best if you're discovering everything along with the characters. I will say that this movie is low-budget, old-school sci-fi at its finest. Be prepared for a mindfuck though.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

one season of Dead Like Me

Both seasons are actually available, as well as the movie. For the longest time they were missing like 2 random episodes from season one, making watching it online pointless. It seems like they've finally fixed that though.

lesserworm
Feb 6, 2006
If you ever wish to visit...don't.
I mostly use it to watch tv shows. Dexter, Doctor Who, and Dead Like Me are great. As far as movies go, I recently saw Tokyo Gore Police, which was fun to watch as it was filled with over the top fake gore effects often for no apparent reason. Stand up comedy is great too. Louis CK and Daniel Tosh both have funny specials on Netflix.

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Well I was beat and dead tired last night and I put on Pierrot le Fou, thinking that maybe I would fall asleep and pick up the rest this evening. It really captivated me though. I the the style was pretty interesting and Anna Karina sure is easy on the eyes.

I have seen most of the mainstream movies that have been mentioned, but for some of them it's been a while so those should be nice to revisit. Awesome suggestions so far, folks!

Exclusive
Jan 1, 2008

All 3 of Ramin Bahrani's films are available on Instant Viewing:

Man Push Cart
Chop Shop
Goodbye Solo

I highly recommend all of these films. I believe Ebert called Bahrani the best director of the last decade.

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

Extremely low budget. About Dungeons and Dragons type gamers.

I put it on expecting it to be pretty lame and turn it off in a few minutes, but it was actually pretty funny, and you don't even need to be into those types of games, I've never played one myself. (Having a general idea of how they work would probably help a bit though)

Oh, and the IT Crowd is all on there, which is also quite good. (British comedy series about a company's 3 person IT department.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

gopperhopper posted:

Nothing specific to recommend except for this site: http://instantwatcher.com/

That site is perfection. Just caught Brick last night. Terrific film.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
There is a awesome Stella live performance. I've seen it many times and still crack up. Also all seasons of the office are on there.

zacpol
Jan 11, 2010

If you're into French flicks, Delicatessen is available. I don't think it could classify as new wave, though. Another good foreign movie is The Host, a pretty original drama/comedy/monster film.

Some choice picks from my queue are:
-Midnight Express
-Taxi Driver
-Demolition Man
-Whitest Kids U Know, seasons 1 and 2
-Comedians of Comedy: The Movie
-Super High Me
-Jarhead

Bralf
Jan 14, 2008
But it was only a couple of flipper babies!
Party Down (season 1)

You may have never heard of it, but it's an amazing show and has a stellar cast including Jane Lynch, Martin Starr, and guest turns from pretty much everyone in Veronica Mars.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
<--

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Most of mine have been mentioned except UHF

settes
Feb 20, 2006

Louis CK: Chewed Up if you want to see one of the best standup comedians ever

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
Primer.

It's this awesome low-budget movie about two guys who accidentally build a time machine, leading to a tangled web of plotlines that make you want to watch it again. Basically, it's the best time-travel movie I've ever seen. Be warned, though: It's a little low-budget and gets a little hard to follow at the end.

At Ease Your Face
Apr 16, 2004
Oldboy
Step Brothers
Lost in Austen (you may not dig this one... but I liked it)
Fido
Absolute Zero: Nova
The Atheism Tapes
Drop Dead Fred
Innerspace
The Life of Birds

Primer and The Big Lebowski too, but those were already mentioned.

I also second The Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Eternal Hobo
Nov 7, 2008
Here's a quick rundown of some of the best stuff I've found.

Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
American Movie
Iron Giant
The Goonies
Carrier

Sashiva
Mar 27, 2007
Down in Flames...
My most recent favorite movie is Ink. It's an odd sorta sci-fi about a father and his daughter. The music and visuals are just amazing, well worth it.

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005
They also have a bunch of MST3k titles. Always good for a laugh.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
The Royal Tenenbaums

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Was Miller's Crossing on there? That's a good one.

I watched Dirty Harry earlier today, and I couldn't see half the movie. All the scenes that happen at night are essentially black screens. The brightness on my monitor is all the way up, so are there any other fixes?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just found out that Dead Snow is available.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
All but two of the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

It's not the greatest movie, but I found it quite entertaining in a Lost and Timecrimes kind of way. Triangle is worth checking out if you enjoy unusual twists on the time travel genre.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Speaking of Lost, seasons 1-5 are on instant Netflix. I know I'm probably the last person in the world to get into this series, but it's a pretty fun mystery/sci-fi series with some great characters, though it can seem glacially paced and unfocused at times.

The entire series of Red Dwarf is available too, and that's quite a good sci-fi comedy series. The general opinion seems to be that it falls apart in the last two seasons, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Thirding/fourthing/whatever the Mystery Science Theater recommendation. Swamp Diamonds and Werewolf are probably the best episodes on there now.

Uh... poo poo. Just came to the realization that I've been adding a ton of stuff to my queue but watching hardly any of it. I guess if you're into strange music and documentaries, give Scott Walker: 30th Century Man a try. I was already a fan, so I'm biased, but I think it's a compelling enough doc. even if you haven't heard of him.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
This thread is an awesome idea!

Mad Max: Beyond Thunder Dome

Who runs Barter Town?!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Great documentaries on Netflix:

1. Who the #$&% is Jackson Pollock? - A trucker buys a painting for $5 at a thrift store and becomes convinced that it's a lost piece by Jackson Pollock worth millions. The art world dismisses her as a crackpot, but forensic researchers take a look at the painting and reach other conclusions...

2. Champion - Interviews with actor Danny Trejo (Desperado, From Dusk 'til Dawn, Con Air, voice of the Cuban guy in GTA:Vice City) about his criminal past and how he got his life together. The guy was using heroin before he was in his teens. Fascinating story, and a really cool guy.

3. Man on Wire - Story of a tightrope walker who strung a wire between the two World Trade Center towers and walked across it. Mind you, this was completely illegal and done without any authorities or building officials knowing about it. And it was done in the late 1970s, without any computer-aided research or cell phones.

4. Confessions of a Superhero - In Hollywood, there are scores of hard-up actors who dress up as superheroes and pose for pictures with tourists, hoping to make money off of tips. This film follows 4 of them and explores their life stories.

5.The Business of Being Born - Explores the increasing commodification of hospital births and the effects on the health of mothers and babies.

6. Bigger, Stronger, Faster - An in-depth history and analysis of steroid abuse by a former athlete (and steroid user)

Dr. Needleman
Jan 26, 2004

we been livin' through your internet
Some favorites lately..

Standard Operating Procedure - Through captivating interviews and dramatic reenactments, filmmaker Errol Morris documents the scandal that erupted in Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison, where mistreatment of detainees at the hands of members of the U.S. military was captured on film. What was the psychological state of the soldiers? Why were the pictures taken? These questions and more are explored in detail in this engaging look at one of the Iraq War's most notorious episodes.

The Grocer's Son - When his father suffers a stroke, Antoine (Nicolas Cazale) reluctantly returns home from the big city to his small mountain village to help out with the family business, a grocery that makes daily rounds to the town's elderly inhabitants. But when Antoine's poor manners rub the villagers the wrong way, can the lovely young Claire (Clotilde Hesme) help smooth things over? French director Eric Guirado helms this charmingly low-key film.

Lynch - Journey inside the mind of the man who shaped such surreal cinematic masterpieces as Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart and "Twin Peaks" with this absorbing documentary that traces David Lynch's creative process as he works on his latest film. Filmmaker Søren Larsen follows Lynch for two years during the making of Inland Empire, capturing both the experimental vision of the innovative director and the personal life of the man.

Mon Oncle - Jacques Tati plays Monsieur Hulot, a self-absorbed chucklehead wrestling with neoteric gadgetry -- and losing -- in this satirical masterpiece that makes sport of mechanization, class distinctions and modernity. While visiting his sister's surreal, ultra-trendy home, Hulot finds himself incessantly at odds with newfangled contraptions that get the better of him. The tongue-in-cheek French comedy garnered a Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
These are the only three I have viewed online, but I lucked out in that I liked them all, especially The Mountain Men.

The Mountain Men: Where there's adventure, lust and greed, trouble isn't far behind. Grizzled fur trappers Bill Tyler (Charlton Heston) and Henry Frapp (Brian Keith) head to the mountains in search of adventure and fortune. During their trip, they find and attempt to romance a beautiful Native American squaw. But she's run away from her mate -- a powerful and angry chief who's hell-bent on getting her back!

Wyatt Earp: Special Edition: Director Lawrence Kasdan depicts a dark, complicated Wyatt Earp (Kevin Costner) in this epic Western. Ride with Earp, his father (Gene Hackman) and his closest friend, Doc Holliday (Dennis Quaid), as he makes his way from Wichita, Kan., to Tombstone, Ariz., where the legendary gunfight at the OK Corral takes place in a blaze of fiery glory. Mark Harmon, Bill Pullman, Mare Winningham and Catherine O'Hara co-star.

The Salton Sea: Punk-rocking speed freak Danny Parker (Val Kilmer) freelances as an informant for brutal narcotics cops Al Garcetti (Anthony LaPaglia) and Gus Morgan (Doug Hutchison). But when he's not assisting the cops on drug busts, Danny gets high and leads a double life as a talented, mild-mannered trumpeter named Tom Van Allen. One personality is in search of his wife's killer, but reality is evasive in director D.J. Caruso's neo-noir crime thriller.

LetterboxRock
Oct 22, 2005
Check out my crappy band!
There are concerts by Reverend Horton Heat and Devo up there.

Also my favorite thing to do on instant netflix is watch seasons 1-5 of Saturday Night Live, fast forwarding to all the musical performances. Some crazy stuff on there... Zappa, Patti Smith, Sun Ra, Ornette Coleman, John Belushi doing his Joe Cocker impression three feet away from Joe Cocker, etc...

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

Childlike Empress posted:

4. Confessions of a Superhero - In Hollywood, there are scores of hard-up actors who dress up as superheroes and pose for pictures with tourists, hoping to make money off of tips. This film follows 4 of them and explores their life stories.

I have a thing for documentaries about eccentric people, and this is one of the best, endearing and eye-opening. If you enjoy that kind of thing, I recommend The League of Ordinary Gentleman, a look inside the world of competitive bowling, and I Like Killing Flies, the story of the famous Shopsin's diner in New York City. All of these are fairly light-hearted but deliver on the human element.

tickytack
May 30, 2009

Repent Repent Repent Repent
All 3 seasons of Survivorman are incredibly satisfying.
The Exorcist
South Park seasons 1-9
Heat
The Office (UK), but they may have taken that down by now.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Antichrist

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)
Speaking of Heat, there's a bunch of Michael Mann movies available. Manhunter is the first movie to feature Hannibal Lecter and it's eons better than Red Dragon. The Insider is a great journalism drama about the big tobacco whistleblower scandal in the nineties.

In terms of TV, Newsradio is a funny well written comedy, so far I've watched seasons 1-3 and it's all gold.

If you're in the mood for Japanese gore there's the other films by Ichi the Killer's director like Audition and Gozu.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.

tickytack posted:

The Office (UK), but they may have taken that down by now.

If so it is up on Hulu now.

For Netflix:
Brick

Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead

Top Gear: Series 10

There are a bunch of other great movies and shows, but these are the ones that have me excited most recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Rape of Europa
Sin Nombre
The Proposition

• Locked thread