Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The subtitles for Journey into the west bother me. Like the conversations I get, but they had to add subtitles for laughing and such? It's bugging me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
There is some good nostalgia that came out this week: Arachnophobia, The burbs, The Rocketeer and Robocop 2/3

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Vriess posted:

Go watch Snowpiercer.

gently caress everything. Go watch that poo poo.

This isn't just a "goon flavor of the week" kind of thing. It's a spectacular film. I think I've seen it eight or nine times by now.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Yessss. I just watched it. It's a really, really good movie.

Although I did wonder... how had they not dealt with avalanches before then?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Whispering Machines posted:

Yessss. I just watched it. It's a really, really good movie.

Although I did wonder... how had they not dealt with avalanches before then?

It only recently became warm enough to allow them to occur, I guess? "Different types of snow" and all.

seriously go watch this film :dance:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Snowpiercer loving owns, and it breaks my heart to see people online who complain about modern movies being uncreative or derivative and methodical and and longing for more creative and origial films rejecting Snowpiercer because it doesn't follow a typical story arc or adhere their definition of "science fiction" or because the movie is unrealistic despite being openly fantastic and allegorical.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I watched Snowpiercer, which I had been eager to since I heard about it. I liked it. It jumped right into the story with minimal unnecessary background info.

I really get the feeling, though, that it's one of those stories that suffers from being condensed from its source - that was a graphic novel right? I never read it, but the movie was really tugging me along while I was still trying to piece things together.

I imagine the book(s) are great; has anyone read them? How'd you say the movie does compared to them?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I feel very mixed about Snowpiercer. I liked it kind of, but I wouldn't watch it again and some of the reveals were...abrupt. I agree with the above that I think it suffered from being condensed.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Snowpiercer was pretty good. I didn't know it was based on a book or a series, I'll have to check that out. Also Journey Into The West is a good movie. Now I need to watch more, might re-watch kung fu hustle again.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

I watched Snowpiercer, which I had been eager to since I heard about it. I liked it. It jumped right into the story with minimal unnecessary background info.

I really get the feeling, though, that it's one of those stories that suffers from being condensed from its source - that was a graphic novel right? I never read it, but the movie was really tugging me along while I was still trying to piece things together.

I imagine the book(s) are great; has anyone read them? How'd you say the movie does compared to them?

I haven't read the comic but that weird way of lopsidedly dumping exposition seems to be common in South Korean films, especially in Joon-ho Bong's earlier films like Memories of Murder and The Host. Same with the way that the tone will flip from bleak to funny at the drop of a hat, even in the middle of the same scene.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've been told that Snowpiercer the movie is different in most plot aspects beyond the initial premise from Snowpiercer the graphic novel, so you won't be getting anything extra from having read it.

I think their costuming and props department did a really good job. Like, just from the way the characters talk about their food bars and the way it looks on screen, I can tell what it tastes like.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HogX posted:

Snowpiercer was pretty good. I didn't know it was based on a book or a series, I'll have to check that out. Also Journey Into The West is a good movie. Now I need to watch more, might re-watch kung fu hustle again.

I watched Journey Into The West last night and really couldn't get in to it. It was ridiculous, but not in a fun way like Kung Fu Hustle. A lot of the jokes fell flat as well. I'm still waiting for Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer to be usurped.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ragequit posted:

I watched Journey Into The West last night and really couldn't get in to it. It was ridiculous, but not in a fun way like Kung Fu Hustle. A lot of the jokes fell flat as well. I'm still waiting for Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer to be usurped.

I think my problem with that movie is that people related it to Kung Fu Hustle. If I went in with NO expectations, it would've really taken me away. But I was expecting the... I dunno, comedic competency of Kung Fu hustle? I didn't really feel it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was I not paying close enough attention to Snowpiercer? On the one hand they talk about how the world is actually warming up, while at the beginning of the movie the world is cold enough to freeze the guy's arm solid. Sure this could be explained away by them having been in a higher altitude or latitude I guess, but it wasn't. Not even with the meandering maps they showed once in a while. So we're just supposed to believe based on a couple observations late in the film that the Earth can support life again? poo poo, even the last scene looks pretty drat bleak. I thought it was good, but I'm not sure what exactly has you all so ecstatic about it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Inspector 34 posted:

Sure this could be explained away by them having been in a higher altitude or latitude I guess, but it wasn't.

It actually was. Right before they do it, someone says, "At this altitude, it should only take 7 minutes." And then everyone treats the 7 minutes like it's a real small amount of time. "We only have 7 minutes." So they were at a high altitude at that point. The film expressly states this.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
What are we supposed to make of the ending of snowpiercer? That earth is suddenly going to be alright because they saw a polar bear, demonstrating that earth can sustain life again? If all of the living humans left were on the train, wouldn't that mean that they all just died? And the last remnants of humanity will die with the woman and little boy's most likely unsuccessful attempt at survival in a frozen wasteland? I just didn't really like the ending. It seemed too rushed.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Motley posted:

What are we supposed to make of the ending of snowpiercer? That earth is suddenly going to be alright because they saw a polar bear, demonstrating that earth can sustain life again? If all of the living humans left were on the train, wouldn't that mean that they all just died? And the last remnants of humanity will die with the woman and little boy's most likely unsuccessful attempt at survival in a frozen wasteland? I just didn't really like the ending. It seemed too rushed.

Shes going to pork that little boy

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bunk Rogers posted:

Shes going to pork that little boy
No wonder goons love it so much - wish fulfillment!

substitute
Aug 30, 2003

you for my mum

Motley posted:

What are we supposed to make of the ending of snowpiercer? ...

How I interpreted the ending of Snowpiercer.

1. Hopeful outlook: They are going to hunt down that god drat bear (and any other lifeforms) and eat like kings!

2. Bleak outlook: After all that poo poo, the last two surviving humans on Earth are literally hurled into an even crueler existence, where they also must contend with large predators, immediately. I prefer this because I think it's funny (and fits the tone of the movie).

substitute has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Nov 7, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It's really weird and confusing that there's currently a discussion about the ending of Snowpiercer going on in both Netflix threads.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

a worthy uhh posted:

It's really weird and confusing that there's currently a discussion about the ending of Snowpiercer going on in both Netflix threads.

Probably because it just got added to netflix

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Probably because it just got added to netflix

It's also the exact sort of movie that we goons seem to like to talk about, but the Snowpiercer thread is long dead.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

thrawn527 posted:

It actually was. Right before they do it, someone says, "At this altitude, it should only take 7 minutes." And then everyone treats the 7 minutes like it's a real small amount of time. "We only have 7 minutes." So they were at a high altitude at that point. The film expressly states this.

Well alright then. Must have forgotten since I had to stop watching for a couple hours right after the guy got his arm smashed off.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Inspector 34 posted:

Well alright then. Must have forgotten since I had to stop watching for a couple hours right after the guy got his arm smashed off.

I had the same issue. I don't know of anywhere on the planet that would do that to an arm in 7 minutes, so I was under the impression that Earth was cold in a way that we don't even experience. Same thing with the frozen people who were like 150 feet from the tracks. Then later, somewhere in the mountains there's just a cool breeze? It didn't seem expressed very well. At the beginning, they establish "outside = death", and then "oh I guess not".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Captain Lavender posted:

I had the same issue. I don't know of anywhere on the planet that would do that to an arm in 7 minutes, so I was under the impression that Earth was cold in a way that we don't even experience. Same thing with the frozen people who were like 150 feet from the tracks. Then later, somewhere in the mountains there's just a cool breeze? It didn't seem expressed very well. At the beginning, they establish "outside = death", and then "oh I guess not".

Outside used to equal death. Like when the frozen people were shown through the window. And in some places that was still true, like at high elevations (when the guy lost his arm). But the planet was starting to warm, so in places that weren't at a super high elevation, it was just really really cold, but not kill you as you stand cold.

They keep showing people the frozen people to convince them it's still that bad out there. But it's not, everywhere.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Lavender posted:

Plus it's a sci-fi supertrain with a perpetual motion machine for an engine, I don't think they ever say how fast they're going but I imagine it would add one hell of a wind chill.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
They mentioned they were at a good altitude for the arm freezing....maybe the altitude dropped a bit with the plane thing and where they ended up? Also maybe they were going fast enough early on in the film to get past the avalanches? They were going a lot slower when they got hit

Lol, I hear a train horn in the distance as I hit submit

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The other Netflix thread suggested Filth. You should go watch it, because it's really good.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
The doug Benson special was pretty ok. Not amazing but watchable.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dang, Snowpiercer was great. The tonal shift after the halfway mark is great and then it collapses on itself. None of the bizzare parts took me out of the movie, somehow they made sense.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

Dang, Snowpiercer was great. The tonal shift after the halfway mark is great and then it collapses on itself. None of the bizzare parts took me out of the movie, somehow they made sense.

The Host is by the same director and has the same Korean lead, it's similarly good/weird.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Host is by the same director and has the same Korean lead, it's similarly good/weird.
The Host is excellent, and Kang-ho Song is a great actor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

poo poo, I knew I recognized him!

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Inzombiac posted:

poo poo, I knew I recognized him!

He's also the priest from Thirst, The Weird from The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, and the detective from Memories of Murder.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

coyo7e posted:

The Host is excellent, and Kang-ho Song is a great actor.

I'd been eyeing The Host for a while now, but I finally got around to watching it with these latest recommendations and it was worth it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He's also the priest from Thirst, The Weird from The Good, The Bad, and The Weird, and the detective from Memories of Murder.

And every single one of these movies are good stuff. Though I think The Host is one of my most favorite movies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Drew: The Man Behind the Poster is a great look at the life and work of Drew Struzan, a man who has created more movie posters and album covers than you'd probably expect. The whole movie is almost too understated, too modest for the sheer vastness of this artist's talent. He's just incredible and nothing I say will do it justice.

I'm ravenous for documentaries that detail behind the scenes of the art and movie world. Can anyone recommend more of them from any country? I've seen quite a few but if anything has struck you as being particularly interesting, I'd love to know.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Inzombiac posted:

Drew: The Man Behind the Poster is a great look at the life and work of Drew Struzan, a man who has created more movie posters and album covers than you'd probably expect. The whole movie is almost too understated, too modest for the sheer vastness of this artist's talent. He's just incredible and nothing I say will do it justice.

I'm ravenous for documentaries that detail behind the scenes of the art and movie world. Can anyone recommend more of them from any country? I've seen quite a few but if anything has struck you as being particularly interesting, I'd love to know.

Nightmare Factory is a pretty cool doc about the practical fx industry. Squibs, puppets, mainly horror stuff from like the 80s and what not.

Be warned, there is a bit of bitching about 'kids these days.'

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leper Residue posted:

Nightmare Factory is a pretty cool doc about the practical fx industry. Squibs, puppets, mainly horror stuff from like the 80s and what not.

Be warned, there is a bit of bitching about 'kids these days.'

Oh, that's great. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fishstick posted:

The other Netflix thread suggested Filth. You should go watch it, because it's really good.

Filth is indeed really drat good. The main character is mesmerisingly horrible and yet still somehow sympathetic. Great performance from James McAvoy.

• Locked thread