Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine times
Nov 30, 2005
Hit the noob and win a free iPod!
After Last Season began as sort of an enigma. A tremendously bizarre and trailer showed up online, was picked up by a few movie blogs and passed around social networks. You can view it here: https://www.afterlastseason.com. People weren’t sure what to make of it – many thought that it was some sort of viral marketing campaign, perhaps for the then-upcoming release of Where The Wild Things Are. Others believed it was intentionally bad, like the fantastic Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. The director, Mark Region, gave a few short interviews that were completely baffling and only served to deepen the mystery.

And then something really strange happened. After Last Season showed up in real live movie theaters. People drove from miles around to see it, perhaps hoping to be let in on the gag – to finally hear the punch line of a this elaborate joke.

Except it wasn’t a joke. And it definitely wasn’t funny.

I didn’t get to see After Last Season until it came out on DVD and when it showed up on Amazon I jumped at the chance to finally unravel the mystery myself. The incomprehensible plot is best explained by olspazzy from IMDB: "these are medical students and there was a murder". Most of the scenes (really all but one) have absolutely nothing to do with the central story. The director fills the movie with inane, mind-numbing dialogue that feels like the kind of small talk you make with strangers when you’re at your spouse’s office Christmas party. In order to save film, each line was shot as a separate take so there is no flow or continuity whatsoever in the conversations that make up the vast majority of the 93 minute running time.

Every aspect of After Last Season is fitting piece of this monument to ineptitude but there are two things that stand out as being exceptionally terrible. First is the set design. The whole thing looks like it was shot in someone’s unfinished basement. Some of the furnishings are made of butcher paper and cardboard, such as the famous MRI machine from the trailer, and there are sheets of 8 ½” by 11” paper inexplicably stuck all over the walls. Each room (the movie is shot entirely indoors except for a few establishing shots) looks essentially the same as the others, whether they’re in an apartment or a science lab. This lends a disorienting lack of context to every scene because you’re never sure where it’s supposed to be taking place.

The place where After Last Season goes above and beyond the call of sucking is in the special effects department. Large swaths of the movie take place in one character’s mind and are rendered in 3D computer animation. The level of technology used here is slightly behind what was used to create the music video for “Money for Nothing” in 1985. That is not exaggeration. The graphics are shockingly bad. Clip number 2 on the website (address above) pretty much speaks for itself.

After Last Season is without a doubt the worst movie I have ever seen and is actually the worst movie I could ever conceive of. It’s not “so bad it’s funny” - it’s unrepentantly, irredeemably terrible. It’s so retarded that it goes right back around to being awesome and then keeps going back around to being doubly retarded as it sails into heretofore untouched seas of crappiness. There is nothing in this movie that was executed competently. It’s only possible worth could be as an example of what not to do, but its mistakes and shortcomings are so glaringly obvious that only a dog or perhaps a very stupid chimpanzee would stand to learn anything. Dolphins are probably way past this.

0/5. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU