Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I live in a large apartment complex. My apartment overlooks the swimming pool, which is normally pretty noisy as you might expect. But this summer they decided to make it even noisier and started playing music on the speakers when the pool is open. Every day, from 10 am to 10 pm, even when there's nobody at the pool. It's just a lovely top 40 radio station too so I get to hear ads every 15 minutes. I have to keep my windows shut if I don't want to hear it, which is not great in the summer.

I've called management multiple times to ask them to turn it off. They claim that they can't turn it off (no reason given), but they can turn it down. Sometimes they do, and that makes it bearable, but then a day or two later it gets cranked back up to full volume.

Is there anything I can do about this? I don't have the first clue about tenant rights but this seems pretty unreasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is your lease up

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What state? Also what municipality? There may be local laws to sort this out.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fister Roboto posted:

I live in a large apartment complex. My apartment overlooks the swimming pool, which is normally pretty noisy as you might expect. But this summer they decided to make it even noisier and started playing music on the speakers when the pool is open. Every day, from 10 am to 10 pm, even when there's nobody at the pool. It's just a lovely top 40 radio station too so I get to hear ads every 15 minutes. I have to keep my windows shut if I don't want to hear it, which is not great in the summer.

I've called management multiple times to ask them to turn it off. They claim that they can't turn it off (no reason given), but they can turn it down. Sometimes they do, and that makes it bearable, but then a day or two later it gets cranked back up to full volume.

Is there anything I can do about this? I don't have the first clue about tenant rights but this seems pretty unreasonable to me.

Put some speakers at your window tuned to the same radio station, and use an arduino or something to invert the phase, and adjust the delay so it matches the distance the pool sound has to travel. That should work as a wide-area noise-canceling field.

Alternatively if you just walk around to your other neighbors and have them sign a petition I think that would get the job done, if management sees a multitude or even majority of people are annoyed.

edit: third option, blast "We Did It Again - Swizz Beatz, Ja Rule, Metallica" on loop down at them, tell them you can't turn it off but you can turn it down, maybe they'll get the hint. Or all of you can go insane together from hearing multiple songs at the same time

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 6, 2021

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Have you written to the management company with a copy to your landlord?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

edit: third option, blast "We Did It Again - Swizz Beatz, Ja Rule, Metallica" on loop down at them, tell them you can't turn it off but you can turn it down, maybe they'll get the hint. Or all of you can go insane together from hearing multiple songs at the same time

If you are going to go that route, might as well go all the way.

Song for the stupid raver shithead....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oL-D675Y7M&t=566s

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Perhaps it's time to make use of the pool during the day and "accidentally" bullseye the speakers with a super soaker a few times each until the problem goes away

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If someone sues you, and you win, in most cases you can have the opposing party pay your attorney fees.

If the State brings criminal charges against you, and you win, do you think the State should reimburse your attorney costs? This will undoubtedly result in less trials, convictions, incarceration and more plea deals. Would you support such a measure?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Starpluck posted:

If someone sues you, and you win, in most cases you can have the opposing party pay your attorney fees.

this is not true: the "american rule" is everyone bears their own legal costs unless there is a specific law or specific applicable contract that has fee-shifting

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Starpluck posted:

If the State brings criminal charges against you, and you win, do you think the State should reimburse your attorney costs? This will undoubtedly result in less trials, convictions, incarceration and more plea deals. Would you support such a measure?

Ah, yet another reason to disincentive prosecuting the wealthy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

Ah, yet another reason to disincentive prosecuting the wealthy.

Upside: Contingency defense agreements make the government a lot more scared to gently caress with poor people

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Starpluck posted:

They kinda sorta have this. It's "the right to an attorney" that the cops are always reciting on TV shows. You don't pay whether you win or lose - if you're sufficiently poor and sufficiently relaxed about who represents you.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
eliminate all lawyers not employed by the state

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hello law thread! I would like to first apologize for any lawyer jokes I have ever made in the past, as I need some business advice.

I have a question about derivative products and copyright/intellectual property law. Specifically, in the case of computer hardware, eg. a Raspberry Pi, do all the companies selling products that include a Raspberry Pi need to seek and receive permission through an agreement or similar in order to take it to market? Or is the combination of purchasing them from a distributor or at retail a de facto license to resell it as part of a product of your own?

I ask because I’m looking at the possibility of selling networking hardware based on white box (unbranded products from an OEM) networking products such as those from PC Engines and Lanner/WhiteboxSolutions.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Kazinsal posted:

Hello law thread! I would like to first apologize for any lawyer jokes I have ever made in the past, as I need some business advice.

I have a question about derivative products and copyright/intellectual property law. Specifically, in the case of computer hardware, eg. a Raspberry Pi, do all the companies selling products that include a Raspberry Pi need to seek and receive permission through an agreement or similar in order to take it to market? Or is the combination of purchasing them from a distributor or at retail a de facto license to resell it as part of a product of your own?

I ask because I’m looking at the possibility of selling networking hardware based on white box (unbranded products from an OEM) networking products such as those from PC Engines and Lanner/WhiteboxSolutions.

You can do anything you want with the Raspberry Pi, no permission necessary. You will have to comply with the terms of whatever software you install on it.

I'm not a lawyer so I can't tell you the ins and outs of hardware generally, but there's no general "copyright" on hardware. Once you buy it you can use the physical object pretty much however you want unless the seller puts some weird restriction as a condition of sale.

A Condition of Sale posted:

By adding this product to your cart you confirm that you are not Anish Kapoor, you are in no way affiliated to Anish Kapoor, you are not purchasing this item on behalf of Anish Kapoor or an associate of Anish Kapoor. To the best of your knowledge, information and belief this paint will not make its way into that hands of Anish Kapoor.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question I hope. My ex-employer fired me a year and a half ago because I got injured at work and hired a lawyer. Anyways, fast forward to about a month ago, my settlement finally uh gets settled. Yesterday, i receive a e-mail from the boss of my part time job that my ex-employer has been calling them and e-mailing them over the past year and now in a bid to get me removed from my position, along with sending screencaps of posts I made in private facebook groups "bashing" (not really) the ex-employer. This isn't anything new, as the ex-employer did this with my last job also, who promptly told them to gently caress off.

Anyways, I ask my personal injury lawyer if there's anything I can do, even send them a stern letter saying not to. He said he doesn't know much about employment law, but he feels there really isn't anything we can do if it hasn't forced me to lose a job yet except for me to stop posting about them, but he can send me the details of a employment lawyer. I told him okay and thanks for his time and I'm going to go forward not posting anything on facebook.

I feel like there has to be a way for me to tell them to stop harassing my future employers though. I mean I guess its a matter of waiting until this does cost me a job of which case I can act, but i'd really like it to not get to that level. I already have a suspicion that they've harassed places I've applied too, and/or left a bad reference (which is not the case at all, I worked there for 13 years and never got written up once). I realize now that I should've hired a employment lawyer in addition to the workman comp one right when I was let go, as that may have stopped this poo poo. But I also know (and my probation history shows) that I can't keep my mouth shut and this will bite me in the rear end lol.

Thanks for your help.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Empress Brosephine posted:

Quick question I hope. My ex-employer fired me a year and a half ago because I got injured at work and hired a lawyer. Anyways, fast forward to about a month ago, my settlement finally uh gets settled. Yesterday, i receive a e-mail from the boss of my part time job that my ex-employer has been calling them and e-mailing them over the past year and now in a bid to get me removed from my position, along with sending screencaps of posts I made in private facebook groups "bashing" (not really) the ex-employer. This isn't anything new, as the ex-employer did this with my last job also, who promptly told them to gently caress off.

Anyways, I ask my personal injury lawyer if there's anything I can do, even send them a stern letter saying not to. He said he doesn't know much about employment law, but he feels there really isn't anything we can do if it hasn't forced me to lose a job yet except for me to stop posting about them, but he can send me the details of a employment lawyer. I told him okay and thanks for his time and I'm going to go forward not posting anything on facebook.

I feel like there has to be a way for me to tell them to stop harassing my future employers though. I mean I guess its a matter of waiting until this does cost me a job of which case I can act, but i'd really like it to not get to that level. I already have a suspicion that they've harassed places I've applied too, and/or left a bad reference (which is not the case at all, I worked there for 13 years and never got written up once). I realize now that I should've hired a employment lawyer in addition to the workman comp one right when I was let go, as that may have stopped this poo poo. But I also know (and my probation history shows) that I can't keep my mouth shut and this will bite me in the rear end lol.

Thanks for your help.

talk to an employment lawyer, who may tell you that there's nothing to do legally until they actually cause you to lose a job but may be willing to, for example, send a threatening letter telling them to knock it off that they may or may not pay attention to

what you can do and when is very state-specific

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sweet okay i'll do that. I don't really want to enter yet another legal battle, but I just want a nasty letter to them lol.

Thanks!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

A nasty letter is right up the alley of a plaintiff's side employment lawyer. You'll probably have to pay them a few hundred bucks, but it'd be worth it for the letter. Plus if it ever loses you a job (or stops you from getting a job), then your lawyer can probably use the letter in that fight.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah and I have no problem paying for the letter and would probably take some kind of sick joy in it.

Now, should I alert my current workmans comp lawyer that I am contacting a employment lawyer? Do they even care?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Yeah and I have no problem paying for the letter and would probably take some kind of sick joy in it.

Now, should I alert my current workmans comp lawyer that I am contacting a employment lawyer? Do they even care?

Many times workmans comp lawyers also do employmen law, so it might be worth asking them, in addition to asking the personal injury lawyer. Particularly if your workmans comp claim just settled. Generally speaking they don't care, but they might roll their eyes if you end up making the new lawyer duplicate a lot of work that they've already done. Worst case you get a second referral for employment lawyers.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you Arcturas, will do.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That poo poo is bonkers, around here the boss would be fired using his time on revenge instead making them more money. Unless it's a union; my friends dad broke his back for a union and they harassed the poo poo out of him for three decades until he got his settlement, but at least they hosed off after that since he was too old and busted to go back to work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well the boss owns the business so thats why. Also the reason why I hired a lawyer was that I caught them lieing to my doctors about work conditions in a bid for them to get me back to work sooner lol. They didn't like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

American business tends to reward ideological purity rather than performance.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

What sort of criminal charges might you mean?

quote:

PERMABAN 12/16/19 05:21am Starpluck We don’t threaten our goon friend posters via pms, ever. Please seek the help you need to sort out this issue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Starpluck posted:

most states have PDs which makes the question moot.

Also, RIP.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

most states have PDs which makes the question moot.

Also, RIP.

Aren't there some cases where one might have to pay a fee for a public defender depending on your financial declaration?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You sometimes have to pay court fees, which are different than fees to pay the public defender. Generally you either get a public defender for free or you have to hire your own attorney. Though I'm sure there's some weirdo state where you have to pay your public defender's fees as restitution for the crime. Probably Oklahoma.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Starpluck posted:

Aren't there some cases where one might have to pay a fee for a public defender depending on your financial declaration?

Hey Starpluck, you were un-perma'd by Lowtax who used the admin panel, and consequently you still have a permaban av & title which is confusing. Let an admin know if you'd like a different av (or you can buy yourself one for five bucks).

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Lowtax still participates in SA, like at all?

I haven't followed what's going on with Starpluck

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

Lowtax still participates in SA, like at all?

I haven't followed what's going on with Starpluck

Nah, Lowtax hasn't had keys for like a year at this point, so it would have been some time in 2020 or earlier even.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it was in 2019 or something.

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Leperflesh posted:

Hey Starpluck, you were un-perma'd by Lowtax who used the admin panel, and consequently you still have a permaban av & title which is confusing. Let an admin know if you'd like a different av (or you can buy yourself one for five bucks).

Yeah I would like a different avatar. I fear that my current one would make Mods more disposed to ban me for violations, and if so, permanently.

Kazinsal posted:

Nah, Lowtax hasn't had keys for like a year at this point, so it would have been some time in 2020 or earlier even.

Unbanning me was Lowtax's final dying wish.

EDIT: blah blah schizo schizo shizo ok I just chose this post because Lowtax was not given a fair shake. Admit it, everyone was too scared to suggest the posssiblity of another side arising because of the internet mob etc.

Did CNN fake footage of 'Palestinians dancing in the street' after the terrorist attack on the USA? (https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/false-footaging/) This is a matter of debate guys. We must appreciate Israel for their complexity right? Look how long that Snope article is. The article I l just inked above on whether CNN is an Israeli creation is about 10 pages long, has citations and is a matter of great debate. I think we should come back to this and explore this topic.

Why is this forum something awful? It is because if someone linked you to a website titled like this, would you click on it?

On a different matter, on planets we do not usually reveal what the "barbarian" race is out of genuine compassion, but once the false flag is raised to the height it is now, we are left with no choice. We generally want to wait until the planet has "matured."

But guys, 20% of all Nobel Laureates are Jewish. Why am I saying this? Because if we want to eradicate antisemitism, we have to accept some harsh truths. If you are dancing around the topic out of fear of being labeled an antisemitism, you may be an antisemite.

Compare the Arab population to the Jewish population. All that pooled into one race and is this is the height of their Golden Age!

Starpluck fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 3, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't have buttons here so I can't do it, you'll need to make that request of an admin or I guess an ask/tell mod, but I think they'd be OK with doing it. I'm not saying you're definitely owed an av change, just, I asked why a permabanned poster was posting and that was the answer.

e. Athanatos took care of it. :)

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 8, 2021

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Arcturas posted:

You sometimes have to pay court fees, which are different than fees to pay the public defender. Generally you either get a public defender for free or you have to hire your own attorney. Though I'm sure there's some weirdo state where you have to pay your public defender's fees as restitution for the crime. Probably Oklahoma.

$40 to ask for a PD

Then when it's all over,
150 for a misdemeanor plea
250 for a felony plea
200 for a misdemeanor probation revocation hearing
300 for a felony probation revocation hearing
500 for a misdemeanor jury trial
1000 for a felony jury trial
250 for all others

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida charges you $50 for the application to see if you qualify for a public defender.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmmm, reached out to a employment lawyer and they had no interest. Should I take that as a hint or try others? Sorry for dumb questions.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Do try others or ask for a referral from the disinterested one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks I'll reach out to more