Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
I'm a paramedic from Missouri. Today my sister texted me that some lawyer has been calling my parent's house supposedly regarding a call or accident or something that I was involved with. I haven't been able to get a hold of my parents to get more information, but this whole thing doesn't sit right with me. First off, why are they calling my parents? I haven't lived there or used that number in nine years, and at that time I was barely even an EMT. How did they even get that number to begin with? Also, generally whenever I'm involved with legal issues the lawyers involved contact my workplace who then get in contact with me and give me a copy of the trip ticket so I know which of the thousands of calls they want to know about. Why attempt to contact me directly? I won't know anything about the call without the ticket. It's not like they don't know where I work, and even if they didn't a quick googling would tell them since I used to be a PIO there.

My gut instinct is to just ignore it until they get their poo poo together and either contact me through work or at my real address. Thoughts or advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Do you mean like they want you as a witness in some case because you were the paramedic on scene? If so, generally in they want to interview or solicit the testimony of a non-party to a civil suit, like you, they have obtain a subpoena and serve it on you. If your hospital (or office, hell I don't know) has a legal department, check with them about it because there is more at issue than just whether they can make you testify - if you're going to be asked about injuries to an accident, then HIPPA could become involved.

Yeah, it sounds like it. Again, in the past when I've had to give a deposition or testify in a case they went through my work and our lawyer for those very reasons. Again, the fact that they aren't doing that is raising some red flags.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
That sounds like a good plan.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008

blarzgh posted:

I would just alert your work lawyer to the situation and do what he tells you. These other attorneys sound either shady on incompetent.

So it turns out it's some personal injury firm that wants to sue one of my part time employers for an injury that happened on the road near their property. I wasn't in any way involved with the call in question and am not about to talk to them anyway due to HIPAA issues, so I sent it up the line to my super and the legal department. I still don't get how they got my name and number, seeing as I was in no way involved in the incident. At any rate, case closed.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
So lets say I'm hypothetically getting sued for about $2000 of credit card debt. Would it even be worth hiring a lawyer seeing as how it's a small amount and I'm going to lose the case regardless? Is there any realistic chance that having an attorney will save me any money, or would it just add to the bills that I apparently can't pay?

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
It's cool, I can pay them in goats and/or cats.

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008

Ashcans posted:

You should probably head over to the debt collection thread, but if that debt is actually yours and its the creditor suing you (ie, the card company and not the 8th person to buy that debt) I can't imagine a lawyer is actually going to save you any money overall.

I've read a good portion of that thread it hasn't been too helpful in this case. It's the actual credit card company doing it... although they're being sort of weird about the whole thing. At first I received a letter from their lawyer saying they were going to sue if we didn't get the account current, which we did, and I stopped thinking about it. Then out of the blue I start getting all these letters from bankruptcy lawyers trying to get me to hire them since I was being sued, which was news to me. I called this week to make the payment that was due and afterwards kind of casually asked the customer service chick if they were suing us. After putting me on hold for twenty minutes she came back on and said that they were, and that she'd cancelled the payment I'd just made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabby_McBitchslap
Apr 7, 2008
Cross posting from the credit thread. So in two days I have court for a credit card debt. We got behind in payments for awhile, got a bitchy letter from a lawyer saying they were going to sue us, so I made some payments, got it back on track and thought everything was just fine until I started getting junk mail from lawyers offering to defend me in my upcoming case and/or help me declare bankruptcy (neither of which is something I'm going to do, it's only for about $1900, probably not worth hiring a lawyer for). Awhile later I got a summons for court. The weird thing is that the bank/credit card people are acting like everything is normal and have been accepting my payments. That being the case, I'm seriously tempted to just pay the remainder off tomorrow. If I do this and they process the payment, is there any chance they'll drop the suit?