Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
what's the legal issues associated with owning a right-side drive vehicle in America? I want one of the three wheeled trucks from Totoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Leperflesh posted:

None of the folks in this thread about importing vehicles from Japan have had any issues specifically about them being right-hand drive vehicles; however, you should understand that it's unquestionably illegal to import a vehicle of less than 25 years since date of manufacture (to the month) that is not an exact match of a make/model/year car sold here in the US (and therefore unambiguously was tested and passed US safety standards), unless that vehicle is exclusively off of public roads. The federal government has no sense of humor on this point, and has seized and crushed very expensive imported cars in the past when people have tried to skirt the rules, such as in particular with Skylines.

Also you will struggle to register any imported vehicle in California, because CARB insists on doing some expensive testing on it which you will have to pay for.

Nobody in that thread has mentioned any sort of liability issue though. Certain insurers are willing to insure these cars once they've been properly and legally imported and registered.

CongoJack posted:

There shouldn't be any issues owning a right side car, some rural mail carriers use one for delivering mail when they don't get a mail car to use for the route. Usually though it's some kind of Jeep so there is a US equivalent.

Thanks friends! I am in the process of pouring over that thread as we speak, and deffo familiar with the 25 year law. if I can't get something with a left hand drive to take on roads (i'm bad at driving) there's a chance the family might be interested in using it to move fallen lumber in some land they own up north.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if i get COVID 19 from a restaurant who knowingly made sick workers work, and i have documentation that the managers made the sick employee work even after being informed of the worker's illness, i'm too depressed to finish this question? I guess is a business liable for making sick workers work?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Leperflesh posted:

I am not a lawyer, but I would immediately wonder how you would go about proving you got the plague from the restaurant, rather than from somewhere else?

there are epidemicological ways to prove a specific vector (genomic sequencing) but managers are being very, very stupid about texting people to come in to work anyway so i'm assuming the infected worker is complying with my efforts to get their idiot manager buried alive in fire ants.

also? i'm a shutin so there's no other possible risk for exposure.

Javid posted:

I'm guessing the causality would be "restaurant worker tests positive for corona, followed a week later by a bunch of people who ate at that restaurant on x date". odds of success depending largely on the size of the company backing up the restaurant, probably.

yeah, let's just assume there's a preponderance of evidence including managers making known covid 19 patients work.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Hypothetically, I now know *multiple* food service workers with flu-like symptoms and shortness of breath who (as former poster pointed out) can't get tested and are told to report to work reguardless.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 13, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I hate this poo poo so goddamn much. I'm terrified and helpless at the same time. I'm going to take my baby and vanish into the forests until everyone washes the fascists out of the government.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

T.C. posted:

Are they seriously paying poor people, in worse situations, less money? This is a loving atrocious distinction between 'taxpayers' and 'people'.

here's the thing, republicans are hosed apart piles of burning caca which inexplicably run a huge percentage of the political and industrial empire, while democrats are content controlling a shrinking percentage of the entertainment industry which is rapidly losing out to White Nationalist Youtube Streamers, so like, i dunno buddy, maybe throw a brick through a senator's car?

edit- sorry if theres offended republicans reading this, if it's any consolation i'll let you let me hammer throw you into a ravine.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 22, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I know this was asked already but I can't find it, what's the course of action when your company falsely claims your job is vital, despite not actually being classified as vital? Also, can companies really force you to use sick time when the company is shut down?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo I got the boronervirus

turgid-19

i thought this was goign to say Boromirvirus an- (i fall silent as a barrage of orcish arrows pierce and penetrate my fuckably pink lungs)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
yeah he's saying that because he needs cash and floats his entire business on the irrational exhuberance of dipshits who think their teslas will basically be KITT doing uber shifts while they shitpost at their coding jobs.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
How far does criminal liability for COVID infections go? If an assistent manager goes to work sick and sickens other people, they get charged, but what if they only show up because their superior threatened their job over it?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

i, uh, this is kind of embarrassing but i swear i saw a news story about a worker in Massachusetts arrested and charged with a crime for coming to work sick, but I can't seem to find it.

Here's a kinda similar story out of Illinois: https://www.propublica.org/article/coronavirus-self-isolation-illinois-jasper-county-arrest fellow is charged with a crime for not self-isolating. If, instead of letting his son pee, the man had come into the store because his boss threatened to fire him if he complied with doctor's orders, would that boss have any culpability here?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

joat mon posted:

In the civil liability side, there is respondeat superior, where a boss can be made to share responsibility for actions by an employee.

this is basically what i'm curious about, how much of the burden can be placed upon the employer.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Millenials raving about avocado toast suddenly explains why it's so expensive.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Someone is harassing me through Amazon purchases. Specifically, POD books with extremely unflattering titles. On the 10th, I had a blowout with an rear end in a top hat known for social media hysterics. He made threats of violence against me but backed off when I threatened to report him to his work. 3 days later, the book was printed and shipped to my house, arriving the 18th.

I don't know for certain this rear end in a top hat did it, but apparently this exact thing has happened to 1 other person in our mutual social circles, so it strikes me as pretty unlikely to be a coincidence. I asked my most likely friends, and they all would have copped to doing this if they had.

Amazon was unable to assist with providing any information about the purchaser, there's no purchase slip or anything in the package itself. I've filed a complaint with the UPIS (though this was before I heard it happened to a second person, so that wasn't in my report. should i file another report?) and I checked with my local PD who advised to wait to hear back from the postal inspector. I figure worst case scenario is I owe an apology to a friend with a bad sense of timing. Best case scenario, this rear end in a top hat has given the state carte blanche to spank him for mail fraud.

Is there anything else I should do? The point of this purchase was to send an implicit threat that he knows my home address, so I'm not going to hold back on him.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

blarzgh posted:

One book or multiple books? What was the title of the book? Were you able to screenshot/download/record the threat?

one book to multiple people, "you're an rear end in a top hat," yes

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

joat mon posted:

What was the threat?

"I know where you live." I understand addresses are generally considered public information but I have taken steps to obscure myself after a doxxing a few years back.

The police don't yet have the threat, I'm waiting to hear back from the USPIS, who doesn't yet know that this has happened twice. I've reached out to the first victim to try and get a statement or collaborate on a response before I update the USPIS.

edit- I've confirmed his job has a zero tolerance policy for abusive behavior, so if nothing else pans out he's losing his job at the very least.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

evilweasel posted:

not sure why you think this is a post office issue. the post office doesn't care if he's mailing you poo poo you don't want.

It's not harassment to harass someone through the mail system?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Dead Reckoning posted:

IANAL so I can't tell you exactly when behavior moves from simply annoying to actually felonious under federal laws against stalking, but realistically you're trying to convince a federal law enforcement agent (which is what Postal Inspectors are) to spend their time building a criminal case over someone mailing you a book titled "you are an rear end in a top hat." Unless there is some more extensive pattern of threats or conduct, it might not be their top priority.

there are, he's made direct threats against me and others, and he's repeated this process of mailing harassing books before. this is a pattern of behavior.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Organza Quiz posted:

"I know where you live" is not a direct threat.

He has made other threats, to multiple other people. "don't make me angry, I will hurt you" "i will end you" among others.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If someone is stalking/harassing you, call your local non-emergency police line and ask what to do. This type of poo poo is routine for them. They may even have the procedures posted online because this is a common enough problem. Someone mailing you a book to harass you is not mail fraud, though, because they're not trying to take anything from you.

I did that, they told me to wait to hear back from the postal inspectors. I want to know if there's anything else I should be following up on while I wait to hear back.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

euphronius posted:

The relative toothlessness of the harassment crime is why protection from abuse statutes are so important

i asked him to stop stalking a female friend of mine for saying that she had heard allegations of sexual assault against guy fieri. i am being threatened by a guy fieri stan.

i ask that the other chucklefuckers in this thread give the threats of violence against my 8 month old child the seriousness they deserve.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
should i dox him to his job before i apply for a restraining order, or after

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
1) per my previous messages, the dude has an established history of violence and conflict with others in my social circle, including verbal/text threats, and mailing this exact same book.
2) he used to live nearby, but has since relocated to new hampshire once he was kicked out of his apartment for harassing people online
3) he has make and articulated threats of violence against me, directly
4) his harassment against me has been ongoing for almost two weeks
5) local police have informed me that the mail issue is more likely to result in a restraining order than the threats, so they're waiting to hear back from the postal inspectors.

I want to know if there's anything I can do to help build my case in the meanwhile. I'm collecting statements and records of messages he's sent, but what else can I be doing?

blarzgh posted:

Sorry I'm unfamiliar with the Flavortown Penal Code

:lmao:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
why don't you answer the questions I ask in the post that I ask them in?

edit- this is the legal advice thread not the fuckin maury povich thread. i've provided enough lurid details for readers to understand what happened, the main point is what do i do going forward?

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 21, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

evilweasel posted:

reading your posts gives the strong suggestion to everyone that we're not getting the full picture here (because each post changes details and/or adds significant new ones); perhaps there are a few things that give the impression that maybe this is a two-way spat between nutjobs, such as you contacting his office to get him fired, rather than complete one-way nutjobbery to a pure an innocent victim

you got your answer already: talk to the police re: harassment. anything else is hugely fact-dependent, which is problematic to tell you anything on because your retelling of the facts is, well, unreliable and leaves key bits out. for example, it is useful to know that the police are the ones talking to the postal inspectors, not you. if you want more, pay a local lawyer to help you who can sit you down and pull out all the relevant facts that they're gonna need to know and then, when you get to "and so that's why i called up his work to get him fired" you have given him money for the pounding headache he now has.

Clarifying "he has made threats" into "he has made threats of violence against my family" is not changing details.

I have already spoken to the police. I am consulting with an attourney. Details seem inconsistent between posts because it's an ongoing situation, and most of you aren't actually reading what I'm writing so much as skimming and making assumptions.

pentyne posted:

The thread has commented and explained, in specific terms what your options are and even if you don't like it the only alternative is to schedule a legal consultation.

this is incorrect, the thread has furnished no useful advice i haven't already undertaken myself, because they continue to not address my questions.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 21, 2020

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if it develops into a vernal pool or other seasonal/temporary water body that's a whole other layer of complications on top of it too. a lot of towns have a whole board & commission dedicated just to wetlands management, including vernal pools.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

CongoJack posted:

Let's say a contract of some kind is written up and needs signed. In the contract the name of the person who needs to sign it is misspelled, like Stewart instead of Stuart, but is signed anyway. Does that misspelled name have any impact on the contract at all?

i wish this was true since MOHELA has never once spelled my name correctly

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
This happened in Massachusetts:

- My friend was struck passing through a 4 way stop by a stolen vehicle fleeing police
- The thieves were not caught, and the stolen vehicle has fake plates and VIN
- The original owner of the car cannot be identified
- My friend's insurance, commerce, isn't covering it because he didn't purchase collision coverage

Is there anything he can do? Surely there's got to be an exemption or something if you're involved in an active crime scene? The dude just barely escaped homelessness and was just getting back on his feet again, there's got to be something we can do, right? :(

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
He says he's got something called "insurance under bodily injury from an uninsured vehicle," I assume that's related to any medical bills that might arise from this? He's not certain.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Is there any way to mail a shed snakeskin from the US to Canada? Not a piece of leather or anything, a dried castoff. Snake's still alive, just curious when they get their next mouse. The person at the post office seemed skeptical of the legality, and all I can find on google says that it's only illegal if the snakes are endangered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Terces posted:

IANAL but it's sometimes considered an animal part so there may be a process you need to go through before you can legally send it to another country, probably due to illegal animal parts being traded regularly or concerns about importing diseases/other public health issues. Years ago I was looking into mailing some snake sheds from Canada to a company in the States and cost ~$60 dollars extra per shed as they couldn't just be put in the mail and sent as is, they needed to be inspected at the border and receive some kind of clearance, making the process not very cheap even if I sent small shed pieces. Also this was for snake sheds from non-CITES species, snakes listed under any of the CITES Appendixes are basically considered 'endangered or at risk of endangerment' and have even more laws regulating them + their parts and usually cost more to export. A lot of pythons and boa species are protected including some of the most commonly kept snakes in North America like ball pythons and boa constrictors. In my case I contacted US Fish and Wildlife Services to find out if I would need some kind of permit or whatnot to send shed skin to the US, since they deal with wildlife/exotic species and I found them helpful. For Canadian authorities I'm not sure who you would contact exactly, if the shed came from a CITES species then it's probably Environment Canada as they have a specific department for that and would probably know what you need to do even if you don't require special permits.

Thank you! Just for the record, both species are domestic and of no concern, conservation-wise. I think I'm just going to find someone local and drive it the skins over.