Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cross post from elsewhere:

Anyone familiar with real estate law? Our owners title insurance was charged on HUD, but the lawyer neglected to actually purchase it. This is for a condo in NJ, closed in 2014. Now the lawyer says it will take a month to get the owner title insurance. Is there any cause for concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

If the lawyer you refer to is your lawyer, you should call and ask her.

The lawyer is giving us the run around; the fact that he can't seem to buy the insurance immediately now suggests that the title is not clean.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yes, the transaction already occurred, and in an uninsured fashion; we're more worried that the title isn't clean, which is suggested by not being able to purchase title insurance on it now for potential resale.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Motronic posted:

The fact that you can't purchase title insurance is suggested by the fact that the transaction already occurred. Because that's how title insurance works.

Okay, that makes the most sense to me too. Why would the lawyer say he ordered it a month ago then, I have no idea. How can I check if the title is clean then?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Doing some more research, and it looks like title insurance is the only type of insurance that insures backwards in time and not forwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I'm told that it can be bought at any time: refinancing a mortgage requires new title insurance for the bank for instance.