Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
He posted the entire story on this very page, duder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd have a chat with your landlord about the situation, they might care and be able to do something about it. If she's sleeping elsewhere, though, it might not be a big deal to them.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If I understand you correctly, you're renting a bedroom which comes with access to a common area. Unless she's actually in your room, she's not in the area you personally are paying for, and you don't have the authority to eject her. I'm assuming just staying in your room and locking the door isn't an option for whatever reason?

(someone actually familiar with tenant laws where he's at feel free to smack me down if I'm wrong here)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oregon:

Bought a used car some months ago, was doing some work on it this week and discovered it had been in a massive collision at some point, and then more or less stapled back together. The mechanic said it should've been cubed at that point. Obviously, this was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. Are there laws governing this, and if so how would one go about filing suit? (Civil, criminal, small claims, what)

It was bought off the owner, not a dealer, if that matters.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Could the use of antipsychotics be used to prove a preexisting mental issue? They'd have to prove the drugs themselves actually weren't working effectively, changing the issue from the drugs to the condition requiring their use.

(ianal, just makes some sort of halfassed sense)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Before worrying about what countries will allow you to visit them, worry if you'll be allowed to leave this one during the suspended period. You may even have to get permission to leave the county/city, depending.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There is/was a whole thread on dealing with speeding tickets in AI.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Matlock posted:

Reposting here, from my thread in AI:

About two weeks ago, I bought a used car. Using my bank as financing for half the transaction, I paid the rest in straight up cash. The whole thing was done, the title transfer was signed, and the paperwork was checked over twice. At that point, the dealership received the two bank checks: one for what I paid in, and one for the financing.

This morning, the dealership calls me up at home and asks how my car is doing. "Pretty good," I respond. "Well, there's a slight snag in the paperwork..." "Eh?"

He went on to describe a situation wherein the paperwork the bank had provided did not provide that there be a lien on the car (??? there was no existing lien on the car, no paperwork related to one, and neither AutoCheck nor Carfax revealed one), that they couldn't file the paperwork yet, and that it would take another two weeks for the memorandum of title to be sent out. Given that that falls 2 days before the expiration, at best, that makes this a fun situation.

He came back to the sale, citing "This is why we wanted to do the financing at the dealership, so everything would have gone smoothly. As it stands, we can get the plates for you, and you can buy them from us."

I told him that I'd get back to him.

So today, on my lunch break, I'm going to have to haul down to the bank and put the issue past them.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening? It feels like a scam, or a hard sale, or both.

IANAL:
This sounds similar (but not identical) to a scam I've heard of. They'd sign everything, give you the car and the title, then wait a couple days and say "the financing fell through", get you back to the dealer to do more paperwork, then take the car while you're inside and demand more money.

Your case sounds like they're just holding your plates hostage. The same principle may apply, and it does sound like they're fishing for more money. If you do go down there, don't take that car. Other than that, hope a real lawyer chimes in here.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It means NO GUNS AT ALL EVER DURING THE DEFERRED SENTENCE.

If you're not sure, err towards caution, loving this up could (will) make things much, much worse for you.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

The following is me being curious: In areas that utilize the death penalty, how are laws regarding premeditated homicide altered to make it legal for the guy who pulls the switch or whatever? Or are they? If this isn't how it's done, how IS it done?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

RE: Recording phone calls (another hypothetical)

If you are in a one-party state, I know you can record your own calls all you want. How does this work if the other party is in a two-party state? If you are in a two-party state calling someone in a two-party state, and they inform you that they're recording the call, do you have to inform them if you also intend to record it? Or is it enough that they are aware it is being recorded at all?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Google up "[state] renter's rights" - in most cases you can do stuff like pay yourself to have it repaired and then deduct it from your rent, if the landlord fails to get off their rear end. But READ THE RIGHTS first.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

This is a good collection of goon-written info on dealing with debt collectors, why it's not in the OP on that thread I don't even know.

http://www.wyseguys.com/blog/archive/2008/01/08/debt_collectors_and_how_to_deal_pt_1.aspx

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If she is the owner of the company you work at, and is doing this at said company, she has the "right or authority" specified in the first line there.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I would suggest not posting the specific names involved. People can be dicks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

OneEightHundred posted:

Dicks about what?

As in, calling the other company and warning them to trademark it first, or whatever, for nothing more than the payoff of loving over a guy on the internet. Never, ever, ever post anything that can lead back to you or anyone involved in legal proceedings or what might end up being legal proceedings, in this thread or any other.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

visuvius posted:

Thanks so much for this. Follow up question, what is the best way to find an attorney? Just, google it? Do they all charge the same?

the very first post in this very thread posted:

If you have a question that you want to ask in this thread, you should probably ask a lawyer too, so here is a link to a website that has contact information for the lawyer referral services of all fifty states: http://www.statebarassociations.org/lrs.htm Check that website, find your state, call the phone number and tell the person who answers that you want a referral for an attorney.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

visuvius posted:

About to go through a divorce. I bought a car BEFORE the marriage that is in my name, not hers. She has been driving it for the duration of the marriage but I was making payments. Now we have separated but she is not giving up the car. She refuses to tell me where it is or when she will give it back. Again, it is registered in my name and the bank owns it. What can I do?

The idea that springs to mind is call the police and report your car stolen.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Berbil Snatch posted:

I'm in Texas.

I would start here: http://texastenant.org/

My gut tells me they can't just blow you off when it's that lovely, but check the laws on it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If you tell them the dog is making you look for another place, they're liable to just punt him rather than lose you, assuming they're not shitbags and you're a decent tenant.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Can you sue in small claims for the $3000+ he estimated?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I believe the snippet was recently posted here that (paraphrased) "choosing to get drunk is equal to choosing to do the stupid poo poo you do once you get drunk (except murder)".

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Legally, probably not, but it all depends on how much of a spine whoever winds up having to deal with that letter has.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Was it a letter from a lawyer representing the dude and trying to scare you into a settlement, or one of the random letters ambulance chasers shoot at anyone who gets in a reportable accident?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Mr.Almighty posted:

Just got called up from a collection agency apparently they had tried reaching me numerous times via cellphone quite a few times. I just talked to one of their representatives and tried to make a monthly payment plan of 200 dollars a month. However, they said that it's too late and they want the whole lump of 2000 dollars as soon as possible. I do not have that kind of money to just give away like that. They are now threatening to send a police officer down and serve me and are telling me I will have to owe around 5000 dollars in court costs and legal fees.

Also to clarify: I owed Best Buy 700$ for a laptop back in 2007. I went to jail for a year and a half and lost a decent job. Now the 700$ added up to 2000$ apparently from the interests and what not from what the representative told me.

Can I get some legal advice please? Are they bullshitting or being honest?

I'd have a read over http://www.wyseguys.com/blog/archive/2008/01/08/debt_collectors_and_how_to_deal_pt_1.aspx before dealing with them further.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

[IANAL]

According to ebay's TOS, the auction is considered a contract, which you broke. If he does proceed, you may get in poo poo with ebay, since you did break their TOS, which states you may not "fail to deliver items purchased from you, unless the buyer fails to meet the posted terms, or you cannot authenticate the buyer's identity". It sounds like neither of those conditions was met when you decided to crawfish on the guy because he was a prick. I doubt he will do poo poo beyond bitch at ebay, since he's suffered no meaningful damages. In the future, give people tracking info quickly, and if they're cunts, give them bad feedback afterwards.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Oregon question.

An application asks this:
"I have NOT been committed to the Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities Services Division under ORS 426.130,
nor have I been found mentally ill and been prohibited from possessing a firearm because of mental illness. True/False"

This is 326.130.

Is there a specific ruling that has to be made to the effect of "this person is batshit and should never own a gun ever" for this to matter, or do they just pull medical records? I wouldn't think they could do the latter without a release form, but really, who knows.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I get that, but it's asking "committed or found", which is what I'm trying to get defined. The person filling out the app has never been placed in involuntary care or involved in any legal procedure related to it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Hypothetical/curiosity question, interested to hear answers from any jurisdiction:

I install a dashboard cam in my car, pointing straight ahead, overlayed with time, lat/long, and speed, with no sound. I get a speeding ticket, and the recorded speed at the time/location of the ticket was legal.

1. Since the camera can't hear or see the cop, do any of the "recording without permission" laws apply?
2. How likely are they/the city/county/whatever to try and claim they apply, regardless of the answer to 1?
3. Will the video be worth anything as evidence, should I choose to contest the ticket?

I'm considering a dashcam type project - in case anything cool happens in front of me, not for the purpose of getting tickets and fighting them - and this occurred to me as an unlikely scenario that was worth asking about, if only for fun.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

If that guy has a rep for being a prick she might be fine at another one.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I would examine the lease and what it says about common areas.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That strikes me as the same kind of "would never hold up in court" as a lot of non-compete agreements.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

wacky posted:

Okay so its a no go. I either sign it or don't.

I have an offer from another company. I don't know what the details are but they are smaller and they wanted to hire me even after I withdrew my application. They told me to stay in touch. What is the least crass way of finding out what they can pay me without having made a decision? I need to know if I can survive on their salary. Looking for new york apartments and I need a concrete salary/offer the way this works.

"I have another offer for $x, will you match it?" where $x is no less than, and ideally a bit above, what the company with the contract was offering.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You just don't know when to quit digging, do you?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You might want to rewind to the point where someone else has a video camera recording your private property, since that (should be) illegal in its own right.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm pretty sure that if they're involved with the case with you, they're a client, even if they specifically aren't the one paying the lawyer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

ohno posted:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can proceed from here?

Edit out pretty much that entire story and just talk to your real-life lawyer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

harborbomber posted:

What can I do about my apartment complex ripping me off constantly? I'd go into a huge rant of a story, but really my only question is - who can I report them to?

BBB? Who else? I want to keep them busy with paperwork for a couple of months. Location Austin, TX.

The BBB has no real power. Start here: http://www.housing-rights.org/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

You should pretty much redact that entire post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is "loitering in a drug area" a crime they seriously have? Is there anything preventing them from handing this to anyone who lives there and stops moving for a few minutes?