Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

octothorpopus posted:

I'm watching Turner Classic Movies at 4 in the morning, and here is one of the goodies I got:

Perversion for Profit!

It's a cheap trick, but playing all of these at the same time is like being harangued by the entire decade of the 1950's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WingAttackPlanR posted:

Marwencol

http://www.marwencol.com/

This one is in threatres now, I saw it last night and Ai highly recomend it. Mark Hogencamp is a guy who gets his head bashed in by 5 jerks outside an upstate New York bar. He comes out of a coma with severe memory loss and physical disability. He eventually starts building the fictitious town of Marwencol set in World War II Belgium in 1/6 scale in his backyard and starts populating it with 1/6 scale models, barbies and action figures. Each model being a person in his past, friends and acquaintances. Crafting the town, its inhabitants and its story becomes his therapy for his significant physical and mental scars. Along the way he takes some pictures which caught the eye of a local photographer and eventually a NYC art gallery. The documentary is about his road to recovery and preparation for the gallery opening.

If this sounds familiar to folks, I believe this same guy appeared in the TV version of This American Life, plus possibly a radio segment, though I'm not sure.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm reading a series of articles about life on a container ship. Are there any documentaries about long-haul truckin on the high seas? Definitely not interested in Deadliest Catch, more interested in merchant marines type stuff, modern age or historical. I've seen the Carrier series, as well, it was pretty good, fairly close to what I'm looking for.

http://www.slate.com/id/2274626/entry/2274818/

Carrier, free: http://www.hulu.com/carrier

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use this link at least a few times a week:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html

This takes you to a video viewer for a good chunk of PBS content (ignore the error message and click the upper row). Not only do you have access to all Frontline short docu content, but every ep of News Hour, Tavis Smiley, and more. No/few ads, and no rigamarole.

You can get all of this and more from just visiting PBS.org, but I find this a bit more handy for quick access to Frontline and News Hour.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just found Playing Columbine on Netflix streaming. The subject feels (perhaps unfairly) a bit dated, and I never played the game very far, but it certainly made a splash at the time. I'm five minutes into it. It's about this guy who made a game that people really didn't like, and there's this creep who tracked down who he was IRL and put his info online for others to harass him. It's a bit low-budget, but not bad so far. Is it right to have games that upset people? Is it right to kill people in video games at all? Are some subjects so sacred that they are exempt from certain forms of interpretation?

Some things always bug me about the video games I play with my friends. I always feel a bit iffy playing military-based games. Is it right to glamorize or gameify the experiences of real-life soldiers, terrorists, and civilians, so that they become entertainment, toned down so we don't feel any of their pain? Does this make us less sympathetic with people on the other side of the planet, or the warriors we send out there to kill and die for us?

(That second bit may or may not be covered in the docu, just something that I kind of force myself to consider now and then.)

I also saw Special When Lit on Hulu, it's a pretty good documentary about pinball machines, and it stars some pretty interesting [s]autistic[\s] characters.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 17, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I tend to take a "compassionate" stance when watching documentaries about people with odd behavior and all that, and I try to go beyond the whole "ew get help lol" response. If there's weirdness or evil in the hearts of some folks, it got there somehow, and it's worth it to take a step back and ask what circumstances may have put this person in the situation they're in now, instead of just writing them off as gross weirdos. I mean, with these two car fuckers, what was their childhood like? Do kids just grow up and one day get a boner for a car, or did something happen? Could it have been helped in the past, can they be helped now?

Sometimes, I just can't get to that even-handed stance, like with Louis Theroux's tour of a post-prison facility exclusively for pedophiles. Those guys are sick and I hope they never make it outside those walls, and I honestly don't think they can ever be helped. But that's a pretty extreme set of people.

The old dude in the car loving documentary really made me queasy. Not as much as the pedos. But not far from them either.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 19, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Valuum posted:

We don't get to choose what they're attracted to. This is kind of a hard belief to follow when it comes to pedophiles though. I don't think they can help what they are attracted to. In that Louis Theroux doc I thought it was incredibly dumb the "treatment" focused on changing what they are attracted to. How could you do that? It might just teach them to be deceitful enough to pass. I would have thought they would teach them how to not act on their urges, and understand the moral wrongness.

Hey man, I asked this before maybe you'll know though. How do the pedo's go to that center? Like they say they've served their prison sentences, so why don't they go free? Did they just build that center and say "oh yeah, by the way after your sentence you go here?", doesn't seem like they could get away with that. I thought it was an alternative to prison but the people there had already been locked up.

That said I think a few of the people were suitable for release.

I'd liken the old guy to the homeless people who sometimes expose themselves in trains and such. Less of a monster, more of a dirty old man. So, my initial reaction to him is basically one of disgust, followed by a more clinical curiosity of how such behavior develops (which the docu doesn't even try to explore).

But when it became clear that he was enjoying the idea of being filmed and became increasingly bold in his exposition, I think that's when the warning bells became too loud to ignore. If I were a brain doctor or therapist in charge of this man's treatment, I'd put forth a little more effort to maintain even-handedness, but in the end it was just too much for me. I'm not entirely sure he sticks to his rural shack or if he leaves little deposits near SUV's every time he mails a letter.

So, not as bad as the pedos, but some of the same skin-crawling reaction.

As for the pedos, I don't recall that the show went in-depth as to what legal patchwork was in place to keep these men imprisoned after their sentences. So I don't know. And I might be a hypocritical in saying this, but I don't really need to know in their cases, even if a few of the guys there appear to be reformed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DownTownBrown posted:

I really enjoyed some of Al-Jazeera's docs so I thought I'd post this one that just popped up: Meltdown: The Men Who Crashed the World

This is part one of a four-part series:

It's a good watch, but to some it might just be more of the same information you've seen in many other documentaries. I simply enjoy the way Al-Jazeera does documentaries.

This looks pretty good too, and it's short: Free Running Gaza

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Saw this today: http://www.americanjuggalo.com

30 minute documentary on a Gathering of the Juggalos.

NWS, for just a whole bunch of reasons.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

discoukulele posted:

I watched this last night; it's really fascinating. I just stumbled on the follow-up documentary, The Secrets of Scientology. It's even better, because the first one focused more on the stalking whereas this one's a bit more in depth.

There's also a really interesting twist in this one... one of the henchmen who was stalking the reporter in the first documentary has defected, and gives some pretty candid information this time around.

I was a bit disappointed with the first docu, but it does have the follow-up video produced by the CoS, attempting to discredit it and him, some with a few good points if they were really true (how he was welcome to visit any CoS church and never took advantage of it), some that were clearly edited to look a certain way (like how he's shouting at Travolta with other journalists from aside a red carpet premiere, then for some reason they cut to a "security expert" who testifies that he was shouting louder than everyone else and making others uncomfortable. Um, then show the video of that happening, you clearly have it up to that point), and finally, some fluff clips about how the BBC should have better standards. Actually the CoS video itself is good training for picking apart fluffy, opinionated video. And Scientology and Me is good training on how you should always keep your cool around freaking Scientologists as they videotape your every move, and how a media-savvy entity with plenty of resources can dig up any portion of your past and smear your reputation.

EDIT: Here is the CoS's response to the second video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_W_HvQ8M2w&feature=related

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2011

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mutter posted:

Does anyone realize that the audio is fake on this? It's called Documonius X and it's a parody of Demonius X on youtube. It's just clips of him talking about unrelated things. The voice matches up completely. Sorry, not trying to be all internet detective but it's clearly a joke. A really unfunny one at that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYMOhn0yldc

You've already said it here, but I want to chime in with my agreement: this sounds fake and it isn't funny. I got about a minute and a half in before two kinds of disbelief kicked in and I just closed the tab.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SamLikesCake posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is awesome. I love the contrast of the normal dorky animators against the scary right-wing guy who seems to think that all animators are gay paedophiles. No, seriously. That is what he thinks.

Some of these animation artists and fans are quirky. And some kind of activate little warning bells. Not gay pedos, but more like, "No, I'll take the next elevator," warning bells.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

irrelephant posted:

There are plenty of photographs of bodies on Everest, most huddling in the same position as when they took their last breath. They even become morbid landmarks, such is their permenancy, like ol' Green Boots. They sit there forever frozen, dead bodies right there beside the loving hiking trail because it would require an entire expedition with the sole purpose of just retrieving the body to move it further than a few yards. I followed that Everest...est...est thread and watched tons of the documentaries, films, etc, none of which mentioned any pulverized corpses as far as I can remember :confused: the worst are the close ups of black frostbitten faces with an open mouth silently screaming forever :cry:

The weird thing about digital photography is that it really looks like you could just chip him out and bury the guy somewhere. It just looks like something someone made with a stuffed pair of old ski equipment, winter, and a garden hose.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Rusty Kettle posted:

I am looking for the documentary about the village that has sex with goats. It has led to some very awkward google searches, so I figured I'd just search through this thread and ask here. The thread search came up empty. Could you guys help me?

Try donkeys.

(they did)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

SeanBeansShako posted:

A good documentary, but goddamn the last ten minutes wow.
yeah, reminded me a bit of the Carrier docu, where that one kid comes home to finally figure out that his pregnant gf has pretty much moved on.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

McBeth posted:

Make Believe on netflix instant: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Make_Believe/70140543?trkid=7728649

It follows 6 kids entering into the Teen World Championships of Magic. Magic is their entire lives and they are better at it than I could ever hope to be at anything.

I swear I read this as the Magic the card game for lame-os and clicked on it anyway. And was pleasantly surprised. Alakazam!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have zero interest in sports, or in holy worshipped athletes, but these 30 in 30 ESPN docus are keeping my attention. Not bad stuff.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't think it's one of those things you can understand unless you've been through it. Like they said, they've got one kid that's still alive, and it clearly pains them, but they're sticking with that one kid. I'm not saying everyone would ever do this or even whether I'd be able to do it, but this is not mind-boggling and irrational behavior.

But yes, two things: 1) dude makes me sick. He was demented and should never, ever see the outside of prison walls. Teach him a skill and have him make stuff for society at super cheap prices, sure, but never let him outside a prison. 2) His parents were definitely in denial for a long time and believed what they needed/wanted to believe.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pilli posted:

A "lovely" 55-minute documentary about the enigma that is syphilis.

Watch at your own risks. :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-pctpzh2o

I haven't watched this yet, but the production led me to PBS.org, where there are a ton more "Secrets of the Dead" documentaries to watch. I just spent the last hour watching one about how East Germany doped up their women's Olympic team with testosterone during the 80's. I couldn't find the syphilis one, though, so kudos to the YouTube uploader in the previous post.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This is like advocating for Godfather II, but I love this movie, it is amazing, and you should see it.

Netflix rule: I personally would really like to just watch it right now, which means that there's absolutely no way it's on Netflix.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Someday the BBC will figure out how to just let the whole world watch their stuff, until then, there're YouTube links like this. Thanks!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Alan Smithee posted:

Americans don't do British tariffs. We'd throw it in the harbor! That or proxy their site

Bingo

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm finishing up Erasing Hate on Netflix. It's about a hardcore ex-Neo-Nazi getting his facial tattoos removed with a laser. The guy is extremely intense, even as an ex-skinhead, and the process is equally extremely painful. It's a look both inside a small, insane subculture, but then an even smaller subculture of a single man and his family who have excised themselves from an earlier form of life.

I don't have much interest in gangs or white supremacists, but I'm finding this pretty hard to tear away from.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Popelmon posted:

I just watched Sean Dunne's Oxyana. Holy poo poo. I loved his work on American Juggalo and Trump Rally but this doc is even better. I have no idea how but he always stays at an eye level with his subjects, it would be so easy to look down on the de addicts but he manages to show their side of the story without glorifying it. It's on YouTube so watch it!

I recognized "American Juggalo" and wondered if there was a sequel. Cool.

One quick web search turns up the full version of Oxyana for free on his own web site, plus American Juggalo II: http://www.veryape.tv/oxyana/

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 15, 2018

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Was that the guy that was on Vice for a couple videos?

fake e: yes it was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVHbzlzUS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWWdeTERAsc

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

abducted: I've read a few books on cults and I vacillate between seeing these folks as credulous boobs and unwitting members of a family cult in the making. However, I am only halfway through it, so I'm prepared to have my jaw drop further.

edit: and it's possible that being Mormon, which is a pretty high control religion, made them more susceptible in a way.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Coaaab posted:

If you (or anyone) have not seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquN3ejAp1A

Holy heck I remember this dude late at night. I don't remember him as angry, just a boring reminder that I was staying up too late. I'd watch him doodle Greek bible translations onto a whiteboard like it wasn't an elaborate party trick and his way too young wife would sing with a chorus.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Little navel-gazey documentary about a certain view of a Floridean beach resort town, by a couple of its residents (I think?). About right for this maudlin night for me.

https://sarasotamovie.com/watch.html

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zesty Mordant posted:

This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

i'm not doing them justice, they really are strange.

https://vimeo.com/sethscorner
I've been wanting something like this, thanks!

Recommended from Everything Is Terrible, Dante's Mixes--mostly bad...I wanna say French or French Canadian?...music videos. https://vimeo.com/mysterymix

edit: I would add that my link there is not very documentarian, it's a series of clips probably intended to give you a detached sort of nausea based on terrible and odd music, and other things.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 9, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Documentaries are not above manipulating their presentation of facts for entertainment. That said, Carole definitely murdered her husband with a tiger.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Rest in peace Mike Schank, one of the great characters of documentary.
Dang. I remember he had a little web site where he sold CDs of his music.

note to self, check this out later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD1W6UH5r2g

e: I couldn't find a place to buy his albums Classical Songs I Know or Dreams I Know, but they were trivial to locate via other methods. They're both pretty short, around 45 minutes total.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Tubi is amazing. I feel like it should remain as small as possible for as long as possible.

you're not kidding. This can't possibly last. I saw Toxic Avenger on there and went on a brief dive through at least half of the horror trash I never got to see.