Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hated the gently caress out of Dear Zachary, it was manipulative trash that tried way too hard to be edgy and thought that, in lieu of actual evidence, giving its critics funny voices was appropriate. It's central message was "gently caress things like 'evidence', the victims are angry so the person they blame it on should hang even if there's nothing other than circumstantial evidence and character assassination" and if you fell for it you should feel bad.

I didn't care much for it either. Mostly, I just thought it was rather poorly made, and the editing and talking head stuff was annoying. All of the manipulative effects just distracted from the actual story, which I guess was the point. Everyone else kept going on and on about how depressing it was and how they cried themselves to sleep or whatever, but I didn't really think it warranted that reaction. Although maybe I'm just dead inside, I don't know. Goons are really defensive of it though, in some previous thread a guy criticized it, saying it wasn't really all that well made, and everyone went crazy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Cracky posted:

I Think We're Alone Now

I've been meaning to see this for a while now. This review makes it seen completely amazing.

I Think We're Alone Now posted:

What people don’t know about Tiffany could fill many documentaries and many books. She has many gifts, callings, anointings, destinies. And, ministries that she founded or is part of. She can time travel without machines, and inter-dimensional. She does deal with aliens, different alien races, ethnic groups. And leader/founder or leader of many organizations that most people don’t know exist.

That guy is a pretty good resource for documentaries about freaks. He seems to have a talent for finding bizarre people. Mondo Elvis looks pretty interesting too.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 31, 2010

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Harminoff posted:

Is there any good documentaries about people winning the lottery and then just blowing it all?

Lucky is a documentary HBO did that follows a bunch of people after they win the lottery. Most of them waste it on stupid stuff but a few do something worthwhile with it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

This must've been mentioned in the thread already but I don't remember seeing it so I may as well mention 2004's Soupçons (also known as The Staircase), an 8-episode miniseries documentary about the Kathleen Peterson murder case by Oscar-winner Jean-Xavier de Lestrade. It goes through pretty much the whole thing and offers a really fascinating in-depth look into the whole case from the defense's point of view, pretty much the best courtroom doc I've ever seen with several twists and turns.

I went into it without knowing much of anything about Peterson or the case and it totally hooked me. It's very matter-of-fact and occasionally very candid doc. It also got a sequel a couple of years ago called The Last Chance which was a worthy and equally interesting continuation. Definitely recommending it if you're interested in the US legal system or true crime stuff.

Didn't the filmmakers intentionally leave out a bunch of evidence and other stuff that the prosecutors used? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember thinking that the verdict was pretty surprising based on what they had shown. I looked it up afterwards and it seemed like the other side had a lot of convincing evidence that hadn't been included in the documentary.

That's not necessarily a mark against it though, I remember it being extremely engrossing when I watched it. But if you're bothered by documentaries not being entirely "true" or something you might not like it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine seeing it on the big screen.

I saw it in imax and it was pretty sick. I didn’t find it nerve wracking for the most part since obviously the guy doesn’t fall to his doom, but some of the moves he pulls off are insane. But just thinking about the possibility of him falling while they’re filming is pretty disturbing by itself.

This reminds me I need to check out Meru by the same director, I’m pretty sure it’s still on Netflix.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

pospysyl posted:

Is it worth seeing 63 Up if I missed Ups 7 through 56?

I'd say probably not unless you really wanted to see it or you're planning on watching all the others later. All of the movies spend some time showing previous footage from over the years, but I think you lose most of the impact of following these people their entire lives if you just jump in at the end. You'll see some chunks of when they were 7 and 14 and stuff, so you'll get the gist of who these people are but it's not really comparable to actually watching the previous movies. And some of the people come and go from one installment to the next, so you might be missing out on that.

When I watched them they were all freely available on youtube and netflix, not sure if that's still the case. All of the individual entries are good by themselves, but it's basically one really long movie that still hasn't been finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Joe is the one paying $100/wk, not doc, I thought.

They both paid extremely poorly, I think Joe's might have been a bit higher than Doc's but he also didn't require his employees to get plastic surgery.

Doc Antle is absolutely the scummiest guy on the show. Jeff Lowe is pretty terrible too, but there isn't as much detail on him. But Doc is just scary, his first appearance made me think "Wow, this guy talks just like some kind of psycho cult leader" and then sure enough...

The main difference between Carol and Joe/Doc is that she doesn't breed cats. So I'd say she's less worse than them in that regard, although she's clearly exploiting both the cats and her "volunteers" in various ways for her own profit. Also, she didn't shoot her husband and then feed him to the tigers, she doused him in sardine oil and then let the tigers do the work for her.