Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Henry Chinaski posted:

Rain In My Heart is a 2006 documentary about alcoholism.

It follows 4 alcoholics from the hospital to their homes:

Vanda, 43
Mark, 29
Nigel, 49
Toni, 26.

It is quite distressing viewing at times and the fact that 2 of the 4 patients featured died during filming shows how serious, damaging and misunderstood this illness is.

This is really good, thank you. If you've not watched it, it's well worth the hour and a half. Once I'd become used to it, I liked the editing style, with the repeated phrases and scenes.

It's also quite old, as at one point they mention George Best being alive, and he's been dead six years, so I went looking for an update. It appears that Vanda has since died too. Of all of them, that was the person I was rooting for most, and the one where you saw what could have been had things been slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Selenite posted:

That's part of why I posted it. As revolting as it was, it can't be stressed enough that these people don't think that they're doing anything wrong. They will swear up and down that they love and understand children, even though they don't understand that no, the 10 yr old is not flirting with you and he doesn't want to screwed. It still gets me that after the pedo in a screamingly creepy yellow sweater talks about his .......encounters with "flirty" and "seductive" boys the camera cuts to an angry, distraught parent and solemn faced kid. Pedos are truly in their own universe, they can't see the damage they do to their victims.

I watched it all, amazed that they would actually agree to be on film and that they could be so deluded. How can they think that they, with their grey hair, beer bellies and unfashionable knitwear, are irresistibly attractive to the average teenager? I'm surprised the man with the loudhailer and the leaflets hasn't had his nose broken by an angry parent/former-victim of a paedophile.

One thing I couldn't quite work out from the film (and I'd never heard of NAMBLA before) is whether or not they support men who want to 'love' underage girls too. If ten year old boys are 'flirty' with fat middle-aged men, then ten year old girls must be too, right?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to everyone who has contributed; there are some really great documentaries that I would never have found otherwise.

Content: I recommend the documentary film Inside Job. It explores the current global financial crisis, narrated by Matt Damon. It's a very clear explanation of what went so terribly wrong, and you'll be too furious to be bored. For example, the American Treasury pushed Lehman Brothers to declare bankruptcy, because not only did the politicians/bankers not understand what the global implications would be or how foreign bankruptcy laws worked, but they just didn't care. There is some brilliant squirming by the finance and economics academics who think they are being interviewed as experts, and are instead confronted with questions about why, if the crash was all so obvious and inevitable, they did nothing about it.

On a different tack, does anyone have any good museum/archives/library documentaries? I enjoyed a documentary about the Greenhalgh family that defrauded museums with fake artefacts and a podcast about forgeries in archives, and was wondering if anyone knew of anything similar. It doesn't need to be about fakes and frauds, anything related to that sort of area would be of interest. Thanks!

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 9, 2012

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for your museum documentary suggestions.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm five years late to this party but I recently watched Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix, and absolutely recommend it. It's two middle-aged men talking to the camera with occasional reconstructions, but it is compelling.

If you read their book from about a decade ago you'll know half the story, which is that one twin, Alex, suffered near total amnesia at 18 years old as the result of a motorbike accident. The other twin, Marcus, spent months filling his brother in on everything about their happy childhood, their loving parents, their rich and idyllic life.

And then it turns out that Marcus had lied to cover up the horrific sexual abuse they'd endured until they were 14 years old. He had given Alex this wonderful life. After their parents died when the twins were in their early thirties, Alex accidentally found out the truth. He felt utterly betrayed, angry, his whole sense of identity came crashing down again. And Marcus was hurt and increasingly distressed at Alex repeatedly asking about this horrific thing that he had tried so hard to protect his brother from.

The interviews are beautifully shot, and very well balanced with both men are given the space to talk without editorial judgement. The director understands that neither man is the villain and that their story is best told entirely by them without a stupid narrator or over the top re-enactments.

It's harrowing but has kind of a feel-good ending? They're still incredibly close and love each other deeply, and Marcus especially comes across as having endless reserves of strength despite being incredibly traumatised.