Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

People want convenience more than safety, a bit like how we don't have 4 points standard despite numerous advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

rscott posted:

The biggest problem is a $25K MSRP puts it squarely in V6 Mustang territory, which is also RWD.

Yeah, but the current generation Mustang is hideous, and the Genesis is sexy as hell.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

A5H posted:

Everyone should be making poo poo light and awesome. You can get through safety without weight.

Safety, weight, price, functionality. Pick two, 2.5 ignoring price. Safety cannot be removed. I'd rather survive a crash in a track outing or on the street than being bothered about adding a bit of power to compensate for 100lbs of door beams.

Muffinpox posted:

People want convenience more than safety, a bit like how we don't have 4 points standard despite numerous advantages.

Three points do pretty well, the twisting allowed by a single side shoulder belt doesn't really affect much but side crashes, the upper torso is pretty rigid and stays straight in most accidents.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 13, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, but the current generation Mustang is hideous,

Maybe if you're blind! I still don't understand how people can say the '11+ Mustangs look bad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

A5H posted:

But to do that adds cost.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

I still don't understand how people can say the '11+ Mustangs look bad.

Being honest with themselves might have something to do with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I couldn't care less about the mustang, but the Genesis is pretty drat ugly:

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Faerunner posted:

Being honest with themselves might have something to do with it.

You're mad dumb, kid. I am definitely on Hyundai's nutsack as of lately, but nothing can compete with the current Mustang right now.

e: well, in it's price range.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm not even talking about the Genesis Coupe, which would also be competing with the FT-86 in that price range.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I don't care much for the Juke - I think the Range Rover Evoque looks much better on the "build something that looks like a concept car" front (the Isuzu Vehicross and Toyota FJ Cruiser too, actually).

However, like the Juke, I'm not convinced by some of the drivetrain choices.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

InitialDave posted:

I don't care much for the Juke - I think the Range Rover Evoque looks much better on the "build something that looks like a concept car" front (the Isuzu Vehicross and Toyota FJ Cruiser too, actually).

However, like the Juke, I'm not convinced by some of the drivetrain choices.

I don't think the Evoque and the Juke are targetting the same customer base.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
We'll have to see how much the FT-86 weighs. Power-wise, it's obviously outgunned by both the Genesis and the V6 stang, but maybe it'll be noticeably lighter. I just can't wait for all the guys who've been bemoaning the lack of a light, low powered RWD sports coupe to not buy the thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A5H posted:

No, you really can't. The lotus elise is jumping 400 pounds, do you think that's just a design choice they made? It's not side impact ratings that are mandated, it's door beams. It's not driver head protection that's mandated, it's air bag positioning and numbers. It's not vehicle controllability that's mandated, it's stability control. The NHTSA isn't mandating results, it's mandating processes.

The new f-150s have 6 airbags for the regular cab, This is most likely what killed the ranger, or any small pick-ups for that matter. Airbags are heavy, if you're close to them they hurt, crumple zones are heavy, door beams are heavy. If the most basic bare-bones I4 sports car is 2400 pounds, what hope does a real car that can carry 4 people and is designed around a V8 have. Ford recently stated they will be knocking 250-750 pounds off each car, this still isn't going to inject them into a fantasy world where every car is light and nimble. People seem to complain about every single car being too heavy, and i'm not singling you out here, but if every single car is too heavy in your eyes, maybe the problem is with your perception.

Luckily, as a canadian, my government allows me to endanger myself from time to time, and with our 15 year import law, the TVR cerbera will be legal for import next year. :h: 2400 pounds of 350hp british glued together goodness.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

PBCrunch posted:

I don't think the Evoque and the Juke are targetting the same customer base.
Yeah, or any of the other ones mentioned. Isn't the Juke around the same size as the Countryman?...which I think is around the same size as a Golf.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

japtor posted:

Yeah, or any of the other ones mentioned. Isn't the Juke around the same size as the Countryman?...which I think is around the same size as a Golf.
Leaving aside the fact that that, in itself, is a loving joke, I was more saying that from a styling point of view, I think the Evoque does a better job of what seems to be a roughly similar idea.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
2 door SUV vs...I'm not sure what the Juke and Countryman are, micro SUV/wagons or something.

Speaking of which, anyone post about the rally cars at Paris?
Countryman WRC: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/30/paris-2010-mini-countryman-wrc-looks-the-part/

Fiesta RS WRC: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/30/paris-2010-ford-fiesta-rs-wrc-ready-to-hit-the-dirt-running/

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

japtor posted:

2 door SUV vs...I'm not sure what the Juke and Countryman are, micro SUV/wagons or something.

Speaking of which, anyone post about the rally cars at Paris?
Countryman WRC:

I know I'm the AI minority here, but I think the countryman is cool as gently caress. If people buy suvs/wagons, better them be sporty than another CR-V/Highlander/Toaster

E:I saw the Fiesta around town late at night and I honestly thought that it was an Audi (it was a badly lit road) or something of the sort simply by the led foglights, super slick.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

You're mad dumb, kid. I am definitely on Hyundai's nutsack as of lately, but nothing can compete with the current Mustang right now.

e: well, in it's price range.

Are we still talking looks? Because a Honda Civic Si (I would dare go as far as saying even the sedan.) looks like 10x better than the Mustang for way cheaper.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Are we still talking looks? Because a Honda Civic Si (I would dare go as far as saying even the sedan.) looks like 10x better than the Mustang for way cheaper.

You're talking about bringing an inflatable hammer to a knife fight, son. Looks are subjective. I personally perfer the current accord coupe to the mustangs looks, but dollar for dollar, 22 grand gets you a 300hp RWD borderline sports car from ford, or a 175hp FWD pretty appliance from honda.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Faerunner posted:

They both start at $23k. There isn't a single thing you've posted in this thread that is even remotely correct.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Powershift posted:

You're talking about bringing an inflatable hammer to a knife fight, son. Looks are subjective. I personally perfer the current accord coupe to the mustangs looks, but dollar for dollar, 22 grand gets you a 300hp RWD borderline sports car from ford, or a 175hp FWD pretty appliance from honda.

Right but not everyone is a little Ricky Racer who needs a 300HP car to inflate their ego. Some people LIKE the little luxury items. Some people like cars that aren't as ugly as the new Mustang. Some people like FWD.

And a lot of people just don't like Ford.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Faerunner posted:

Right but not everyone is a little Ricky Racer who needs a 300HP car to inflate their ego. Some people LIKE the little luxury items. Some people like cars that aren't as ugly as the new Mustang. Some people like FWD.

Are you sure you're in the right place? This isn't Automotive Practicality.

also, i'm looking at the civic SI coupe, and i can't possibly see what it has over a base mustang. The interior "feature" list is more padded than a 12 year olds training bra. http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-si-coupe/specifications.aspx?group=interior

door mats! beverage holders! door-pocket storage bins!

add to that that it gets about the same gas mileage, yet require premium, and it seems what it really comes down to is just that

quote:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Faerunner posted:

Nice rant except V6 Mustang has more standard features, nicer interior, and gets better MPG than the Civic Si. It all just comes down to "I don't like Fords and nothing is going to make me think different".

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Muffinpox posted:

Nice rant except V6 Mustang has more standard features, nicer interior, and gets better MPG than the Civic Si.

Yes, but the Civic Si beats the Mustang in looks without a second thought. And I like Honda interiors better than Ford.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Let me take a wild guess, you haven't sat in or driven a new mustang. All of your opinions are formed from either pictures and you probably haven't sat in or driven an si either. Cars are all subjective taste so if you don't like Ford, you don't like Ford, but the new Mustangs are pretty drat nice in person.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 14, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

japtor posted:

they're called "crossovers" and they're all the rage, every manufacturer just has to have one.
And having had a close look at the Mini Countryman, I have to say the Juke is a loving breath of fresh air because the Mini is just embarrassing. Ok the rally version looks kinda cool, but the street version just looks shameful.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Let me take a wild guess, you haven't sat in or driven a new mustang. All of your opinions are formed from either pictures and you probably haven't sat in or driven an si either.

So...have you sat in a Ford...

Lately?

[img-YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH]

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Faerunner posted:

Yes, but the Civic Si beats the Mustang in looks without a second thought. And I like Honda interiors better than Ford.

Looks are subjective, looks are subjective, looks are subjective. Repeat that to yourself until you either get it or you're laying face down drooling on the carpet. Whichever comes first.

Oh, and I daily drive an '07 Civic Si. The new V6 Mustang is faster, gets better gas mileage, and has a nicer interior.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mustangs are the new Miata. :3:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

Oh, and I daily drive an '07 Civic Si. The new V6 Mustang is faster, gets better gas mileage, and has a nicer interior.

Thats going to depend on where you do the bulk of your driving.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dissss posted:

Thats going to depend on where you do the bulk of your driving.

With the V6? Not really.

Also here is my (obviously completely irrefutable) informed valet opinion:

The Mustang blows the Civic (and everything else in the same price bracket) out of the water in every department and if you think the new Mustang is ugly I apologize for your abhorrent taste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Throatwarbler posted:

Mustangs are the new Miata. :3:

Oh poo poo.

Nobody tell Frozenphil.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Professor Bling posted:

With the V6? Not really.

19/31 vs 21/29. Pretty clear really.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Professor Bling posted:

The Mustang blows the Civic (and everything else in the same price bracket) out of the water in every department and if you think the new Mustang is ugly I apologize for your abhorrent taste.

Yep, pretty much. As the owner of an '11 Mustang, even I can be honest and admit that there are better looking cars out there. Some that immediately spring to mind are the Mercedes SLK, Mercedes CLS, BMW Z4. The Civc Si is so far from being on that list that it's not even funny. It's one of the worst, most boring looking coupes I've ever seen. The older generations were much better looking, oddly enough.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Is this guy trolling? I dont think anyone can be stupid enough to think that the mustang v6 is ugly and then say in the same breath that the honda civic si is good looking. The V6 is really really good looking in person, i think its actually better looking than the GT because the front end is really clean and borrows cues from the GT500. Its not an amazing looking car but at least it isnt boring, and it pulls its looks off without any huge ugly design flaws.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

As an someone from outside the USA I think it looks horrible - like a caricature rather than an actual design.

Same goes for the Camaro, Charger, Mini and all the other pseudo retro designs around these days.

I definitely wouldn't say the Civic or Genesis are great looking cars either but neither looks quite as silly to me.

Edit: it wouldn't stop me from buying a Mustang if they were available for the same type of price they are stateside of course, at the end of the day results are more important than looks.

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

dissss posted:

As an someone from outside the USA I think it looks horrible - like a caricature rather than an actual design.

Same goes for the Camaro, Charger, Mini and all the other pseudo retro designs around these days.

I definitely wouldn't say the Civic or Genesis are great looking cars either but neither looks quite as silly to me.

Edit: it wouldn't stop me from buying a Mustang if they were available for the same type of price they are stateside of course, at the end of the day results are more important than looks.

So you hate the mustang but you'd buy one if you could afford it? Odd.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

wav3form posted:

So you hate the mustang but you'd buy one if you could afford it? Odd.

Wtf is it with so many in this thread not having reading comprehension?

He thinks it's ugly, that being said, if it was cheaper (assuming he's in Canada) then he would buy it sheerly from the performance aspect.

The other kid is either a huge troll or just blatantly biased. I used to hate Ford products, but come on; upcoming Focus, Fiesta, Taurus, Edge, the upcoming C-Max, Mustang, Fusion and even the new Explorer is pretty cute. That's honestly a pretty solid rear end lineup only to be rivaled by *gasp* Hyundai.

E: Not to mention the Raptor and twin-turbo f-150.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 14, 2010

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

travisray2004 posted:

Wtf is it with so many in this thread not having reading comprehension?

He thinks it's ugly, that being said, if it was cheaper (assuming he's in Canada) then he would buy it sheerly from the performance aspect.

I'm in the same boat...I won't deny the performance, but jesus christ do I hate the looks. I like absolutely none of the retro american cars.

It IS super-affordable in canada though. according to ford.ca the MSRP is ~24k, which is about 6k cheaper than a genesis 3.8, mazdaspeed3, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

travisray2004 posted:

Exactly this - although I'm a bit further afield than Canada.