Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

A used modern Audi or BMW is a terrible decision if you're that worried about money.
:lol: no

My '99 M3 5spd cost me $8000 in 2009 and has cost me MAYBE $2000 in maintenance/parts/labor since then. It runs beautifully, the engine is in fantastic condition, etc.

It's a terrible decision if you don't research, do minor maintenance yourself, and don't have a good mechanic. It's an awesome, money-saving decision if you do those basic things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Reposting from the Toyabaru thread:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The (actual) concept above is hilariously ugly. Good lord Nissan, do you have no shame?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Weinertron posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/11/2012-tesla-model-s-first-drive-review-video

So the first couple Tesla Model S have been delivered to customers. This is the first real write-up I've seen about one. The Roadster was a Lotus with an electric drivetrain jammed in, which doesn't really prove that Tesla is able to put together a car. I like the looks of the production Model S a ton, it looks like a Jag crossed with a Panamera, but good. It's a good thing that they have a gigantic power option, because 4,647 lbs is quite porky, even for a full size sedan.
That's pretty amazing. And it really does look fantastic.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spatule posted:

New Jaguar F-Type leaked on Facebook or something:

I get strong Japanese Maserati vibes from it.

Those look loving fantastic.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It shouldn't be surprising that you can pretty much match all the countries with high soda consumption with high rates of obesity either.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MrChips posted:

The IS-F isn't a bad car, it just isn't all that good. Like many Lexus products these days, it's a cynical copy of a product that its competitors offer. I would say it's so cynical that it's basically a parody of an M3 or (especially) a C63 AMG.

They basically said, "we have a compact luxury sedan, bet you'd like to see a fast one, right? Here, we put a BIG V8 in it...you guys like BIG V8s right? We put comically swollen fenders on it, because you like that too, right? we *downshift* gave *downshift* IT *downshift* EIGHT GEARS BECAUSE YOU LIKE MORE GEARS RIGHT? *upshift* *upshift* *upshift* *upshift*"
And you've nailed exactly the problem with every Lexus except the hilariously overpriced LFA: they might be nice but they are so goddamn boring. I look at a Lexus on the road and I yawn. I don't care how fast it is or how much it costs, they are so goddamn boring looking.

Post a picture of a Lexus and anyone in this thread can post a significantly better looking car with similar performance numbers that costs the same or less. Any Lexus.

It's not that they are bad cars, it's that if you're looking for something actually flashy you picked the wrong goddamn car. A Lexus lets you blend in.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

I've noticed many of the new European cars have mirrors that flip and retract. Is this just a style thing or does it serve a purpose over the more conventional single hinge?
Parking on narrow streets.

Many European cities have a lot of VERY narrow streets.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Tekne posted:

A production model 4C has been spotted. Hopefully the car makes it here next year and not the year after. When you consider the depressed state of Europe's car market, maybe Sergio is going to announce a greater emphasis on NA product, which could include an accelerated schedule for Alfa Romeo's reintroduction.
http://www.autoedizione.com/major-scoop-alfa-romeo-4c-production-version-finally-spotted/
Hot drat I hope that car doesn't suck. Because a used one is going to be my present to myself when I finish grad school.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, the Galant seems pretty terrible. They still make that, right? It's been pretty much unchanged for almost a decade, too.

The Eclipse (do they still make that, even?) sure is in the running for ugliest... and that means it's competing with the Sebring (ok, so this is the 200 now and slightly less hideous) and PT Cruiser.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is quite a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Spatule posted:

WTF Ferrari ?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

sanchez posted:

I know which car i'd rather own when the warranty runs out as well. (As an e90 owner its not the bmw)

I didnt buy a g37 because of the interior mainly, if anything that makes me the shallow one.

Well you clearly didn't buy it for the exterior either. "Sporty" it may be but it's the beige box of sporty cars in the looks department.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

Aston Martin's next Latest and Greatest is going to be a subcompact hatchback with a one-liter 3-cyl turbo and a Ford badge.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1212_2014_ford_fiesta_ecoboost_first_drive/
Looks great, handles well, gets very good gas mileage. For a ~$15,000 new car, I don't see a whole lot not to like.

Nice job, Ford.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
First Corvette I've ever really liked the look of. drat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not really sure you can do that. I mean yeah, top fuel dragsters do it in less than 1 second, but they have super-sticky wrinkle-wall drag slicks, super-sticky track surfaces, loads of wheelspin, over 8000hp and massive downforce from sheer exhaust pressure.

And this is a fully street legal, fully-equipped luxury car with airbags etc. and road tires they're talking about a 1.8 second 0-60 time with "only" 1600hp? Sounds a bit out there to me.
Keep in mind this is subject to diminishing returns.

Their 1.8 second figure very well might be possible, but the amount of power and weight drop to get down to 1.7, 1.6, etc will rise very quickly (probably exponentially)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Mazda + Alfa Romeo = :stare:

Yes, it's real. Coming in 2015 apparently.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113011852826/mazda-made-alfa-romeo-roadster-officially-confirmed

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, if you want huge acceleration from electrics you don't want just batteries, you need some really big-rear end capacitors.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

Gonna take a second to plug one of my favorite books. No referral link or any other connection to it, I just think everyone should read it:

http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-What-Says-About/dp/0307277194/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360167517&sr=1-1&keywords=traffic

Also, my fiancée was driving us home from a show last night, 2 hours away on the interstate. She stayed in the left lane the whole time, even if someone was on her rear end and wanted to get around (they all ended up passing on the right). Her speed varied 20 under/over even though the speed limit and traffic flow did change. Who is this person I am marrying and how do I get them to stop? :cripes:

Edit: I should make her read the book.
So, um, why didn't you say something?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

I did, she didn't take the suggestion well. It was a little bit better after that but it's happened several times before and I imagine it will happen again.

So can we over/under on when your E/N thread will be going up?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

What I'm suggesting is to make driver training and testing as demanding and challenging as it currently is in the EU. Loads of people still slip through that system while being lovely drivers, I can't even imagine how bad it must be in the US.
It's truly horrible.

Fully 1/4 of the people on the road in Seattle should not be allowed to drive without further driver's ed. Incidentally, a large number of them are the same people who drive large SUVs.

And driving is Seattle is much less scary than in some large cities in the Midwest and East Coast (Chicago has some terrifying tollways and freeways, as does New Jersey)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I actually really like how that Holden looks. That's a nice car, and RWD too!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alfa has said to expect ~$60k in the US, I saw in the Jalopnik article.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that front end?
Well, they want to appeal to the Chinese market...

:suicide:
oh god I'm so sorry, that might be the most racist thing I've ever typed

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The Alfa 4C:
http://www.socialnetwall.alfaromeo.com/c/alfa-romeo-4c/world-premiere-alfa/32207

Dual-clutch dry transmission
No power steering because the car is so light (!)
236hp, 350 Nm engine, 80% of the torque is available at 1750rpm
4.5s to 100kph, 250kph top speed (I'm guessing that is electronically limited?)

edit: erm, I'm not sure why I thought it used a sump

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 5, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://www.callawaycars.com/cars/callaway-c21-corvette-aerowagon/
Body kit for the C7 turning it into a shooting brake.

I think it looks better than the C7.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
How reliable is the V8?

Because you're right, the prices on those things are crazy low for what they are. Two of the ones in my area (with around 100k mi each) are under $15,000, and another with 58k mi on it is going for $25,000.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

A note for the uninitiated: This is the firewall end of the motor.
:stare:

how many miles does that typically happen at?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
http://jalopnik.com/volvo-is-bringing-the-wagon-back-to-the-us-461249294

Welp, you guys wanted wagons. Volvo is bringing the V60 and V60 R to the US.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

Okay, this is awesome. Make it look like that Subaru.

The best part is they're spinning the WRX onto its own platform so it no longer has to share with or be based off of the Impreza.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
God, if only that thing was RWD or AWD.

It's so goddamn good looking.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

The lovely thing about MFT is that underneath all the crap it's just running Windows CE, which is probably pretty stable. From what I read, the MFT software was outsourced to some company (BSquare) and they just did a horrible job.

It's too bad it's not more open, I bet some customers could make better software.

Oh jesus, BSquare. I wish I could say more but NDAs prevent me.

What a horrible company. Never, ever, ever outsource your software to them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I know an easy 100 people with non liberal arts degrees who can't find work and are thankful for their lovely retail jobs. Anything is better than food service.

And yet even their lovely retail jobs won't let them travel to Europe or Asia on vacation (if they even get vacation days)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I don't like the Panamera (and I've seen a lot of them in person around Seattle) and I actually like how the Ferrari FF looks.

There must be something wrong with me.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
goddamn, they all look the same, with minor height & ride-height variations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

From Facebook:

quote:

Facebook exclusive! Here's the first picture of Chevrolet SS production which began in Elizabeth, South Australia earlier this month. The Chevrolet SS will be exported to the US as a new rear-wheel-drive performance sedan and will be available for sale in the fourth quarter of this year.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I love 911's and I'd take the Vette over anything that wasn't a GT3 in all honesty. They just cost so much for what you're actually getting.

Agreed. I've never liked the look of Corvettes before, but goddamn this new one is sexy, and it's got the interior and handling to back up the performance as well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Well where are all those sperglords who were pining for manual steering? Your car is here.

I loving want one. I'll just probably have to add seat pads.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
That's actually a pretty good looking SUV, and I normally loathe SUVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KillHour posted:

Think about the kind of people that have 6 figures to buy a car with, and still decide to buy a Lexus.
:psypop:

my brain broke there