Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

No, the problem is with the automatics.

Unless you have a plan to promote manuals and hypermiling I don't think there's a solution short of inventing some super hypermiling automatic that does everything perfectly for all the lazy rear end consumer drivers.

There's a very easy solution to that problem: It's called "not flooring the gas pedal constantly because you're an impatient idiot".

I think it would work well for most drivers. Especially the ones who keep complaining about getting bad gas mileage from their cars, because they insist on driving above the speed limit everywhere, with either full throttle or full brake, no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

hifi posted:

Please show your work.

I'm currently in development of said transmission. The problem is keeping it from exploding once the warranty is up :v:

KozmoNaut posted:

There's a very easy solution to that problem: It's called "not flooring the gas pedal constantly because you're an impatient idiot".

I think it would work well for most drivers. Especially the ones who keep complaining about getting bad gas mileage from their cars, because they insist on driving above the speed limit everywhere, with either full throttle or full brake, no middle ground.

You're giving the average consumer driver way too much credit.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What about an automated manual that has the option to be operated like a normal manual? Have a clutch pedal and a nice smooth shifter, plus buttons for PRND on the dash - put the shifter in the normal manual location for neutral and push D and it's an automatic. Then they wouldn't have to worry about volume of yelling people who want manuals versus the volume of selling cars with automatics... just give each car both. None of this paddle-shifty bullshit either.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

Ah, so it's not a problem with the cars, it's a problem with the drivers!

I wonder what could be done to combat this. Perhaps some sort of rigorous testing regimen could be instituted? For best results, you would need to teach from a solid theoretical foundation to cover the laws, signs etc. involved in driving, as well as basic methods for fuel-efficient driving. Furthering this, some amount of practical lessons would obviously need to be instituted, in order for the driver to prove their ability to handle their car in a practical, safe and economical manner. You could even go so far as to bar people who are unable to pass these tests from driving!

I wonder why no one has thought of this before?

Are you suggesting that driver training and testing in the US is anything other than terrible?

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

davebo posted:

I don't get why most automatics don't come with various pre-configured settings so people can switch from sport to eco or highway/city/gridlock whatever. It can't be difficult to just have a button that changes a couple variables in the computer.

My wife's new 2013 civic almost does this with the "eco" button they put on it. I think it just moves the shifting points and makes the heat/ac a little weaker. The car also lets her know with some bars that change color how efficient she is being. The car is getting 35-36 with mixed driving, so I am pretty happy. Too far in the future I could imagine they will expand this to change settings for city or highway driving.

Its amazing that these little bars on the dashboard that turn green changed my wife from a leadfoot driver to a very slow, efficient driver.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I pretty much get to the highest gear that doesn't bog the engine and downshift only when I need to accelerate.

Having owned several Miatas and a motorcycle, I've learned to watch traffic and anticipate what is going on around me.

It's not rocket science, but demands more concentration than most drivers are willing to expend towards driving. drat cup holders, kids, sat nav systems, cell phones and DVD systems.

:argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem is that there is an official fuel economy measurement.

For it to be a way of rating cars, it must test them equally.
To test them equally, it must use set criteria.
If it uses set criteria, you can optimise for those criteria, and you don't care if that is less than optimal for real-world driving.

Bingo, manufacturers chase official MPG numbers, they get a gold star, customers buy the car and make a Tard Cat face every time they have to visit the pumps, the criteria for official numbers are changed to better reflect the fuel economy you'd get in the real world, manufacturers start working to that criteria instead, rinse, repeat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Guinness posted:

Are you suggesting that driver training and testing in the US is anything other than terrible?

What I'm suggesting is to make driver training and testing as demanding and challenging as it currently is in the EU. Loads of people still slip through that system while being lovely drivers, I can't even imagine how bad it must be in the US.

InitialDave posted:

The problem is that there is an official fuel economy measurement.

For it to be a way of rating cars, it must test them equally.
To test them equally, it must use set criteria.
If it uses set criteria, you can optimise for those criteria, and you don't care if that is less than optimal for real-world driving.

Bingo, manufacturers chase official MPG numbers, they get a gold star, customers buy the car and make a Tard Cat face every time they have to visit the pumps, the criteria for official numbers are changed to better reflect the fuel economy you'd get in the real world, manufacturers start working to that criteria instead, rinse, repeat.

And yet a lot of people are able to meet or even exceed the official consumption figures, both from the EPA and EU (NEDC). They must be doing something right and a bunch of other people must be doing something wrong, since they get worse fuel mileage. It's all a matter of driver education.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

davebo posted:

I don't get why most automatics don't come with various pre-configured settings so people can switch from sport to eco or highway/city/gridlock whatever. It can't be difficult to just have a button that changes a couple variables in the computer.

My DSG box has two settings: shift too early, or shift too late !

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
I really hate the pricing premium in the new Cruze diesel, $25,695. I know that's in line where TDi Volkswagons start, but still what commands the price premium in small diesel cars in the American market? If anything it should be an option on all trims, not its own special thing as I believe it is in Europe.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

They've got to have a bunch of chemical stuff tacked on to the exhaust system to meet emissions requirements. That's one of the things Mazda is advertising about the diesel 6, they've figured out how to put one together that doesn't need all that stuff.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Also because it's a pretty near fully loaded model, from what Chevy has let on. Leather and all that poo poo as standard with the diesel.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

What I'm suggesting is to make driver training and testing as demanding and challenging as it currently is in the EU. Loads of people still slip through that system while being lovely drivers, I can't even imagine how bad it must be in the US.
It's truly horrible.

Fully 1/4 of the people on the road in Seattle should not be allowed to drive without further driver's ed. Incidentally, a large number of them are the same people who drive large SUVs.

And driving is Seattle is much less scary than in some large cities in the Midwest and East Coast (Chicago has some terrifying tollways and freeways, as does New Jersey)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BabyMauler posted:

I really hate the pricing premium in the new Cruze diesel, $25,695. I know that's in line where TDi Volkswagons start, but still what commands the price premium in small diesel cars in the American market? If anything it should be an option on all trims, not its own special thing as I believe it is in Europe.

They somehow managed to have it cost more than the TDI. Yeah, leather, etc. But I feel like they made two mistakes.

1. There are probably quite a few folks buying stripped out manual TDI Jettas that would buy a manual diesel Cruze if the price point of the Cruze was like 750-1250 less than the equivalent TDI Jetta.

2. They're not going to win anything but VW conquest buyers. What person who's not already insistent on buying a diesel car looks at this and says "let me buy this over the Cruze Eco?" If it were my money, I wouldn't, and I like small diesel cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They somehow managed to have it cost more than the TDI. Yeah, leather, etc. But I feel like they made two mistakes.

1. There are probably quite a few folks buying stripped out manual TDI Jettas that would buy a manual diesel Cruze if the price point of the Cruze was like 750-1250 less than the equivalent TDI Jetta.

2. They're not going to win anything but VW conquest buyers. What person who's not already insistent on buying a diesel car looks at this and says "let me buy this over the Cruze Eco?" If it were my money, I wouldn't, and I like small diesel cars.

The Cruze and all the new GM cars are more expensives car in general, Truecar shows average transaction price for a Cruze is is $2k more than the Jetta and the highest in the segment. Neither GM or VW are really offering a "value" proposition because it's a race to the bottom with Hyundai and GM especially isn't going to win that game building small cars in the US with the UAW. I wouldn't buy a diesel either but what they're doing isn't any different than VW's strategy and that's about the best they can do in this market.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I guess I don't really see the point to the diesel if you're not going to do anything different from what VW is doing. Their diesel sales are increasing, but I still don't think there's much market there.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
There's no objective reason to buy a Jetta diesel either, don't kid yourselves.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

NOTinuyasha posted:

There's no objective reason to buy a Jetta diesel either, don't kid yourselves.

As someone with a Golf TDI, this is 100% true. You can get mileage close enough to what you get with a diesel for thousands less in quite a few other cars. It was more fun to drive than those options, and price wasn't really a big concern for me, so that's why I got mine. I've told a few people that have asked me about it that they're better off buying an eco version of something else if they're strictly worried about economy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The most compelling feature of the TDI VWs is the ability to have random people scream at you that you're some kind of retard every time you fill up.

:haw: THAT'S DIESEL YOU DUMB gently caress

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The only correct reply to that is "Yeah I know, but it's cheaper!".

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

In the States it's often not cheaper depending on geographical location. In the upper Midwest it hasn't been cheaper than even premium for quite some time.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The newst Autoline After Hours has a lengthy interview with the GM guy in charge of the new diesel.

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

Here in Kansas City, diesel is about 50 cents more than premium on average :smith:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well then, "But it gets much better mileage" could work, I guess :geno:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Well then, "But it gets much better mileage" could work, I guess :geno:

"I LIKE THE WAY IT MAKES MY CAR SMOKE"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I tell them, "But the pump is green so it's better for the environment right?"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gasoline pumps are green 'round here, diesel pumps are black.

Unless it's some kind of extra special V-Power or Nitro 3000 or whatever fancy-pants fuel. Those get gold handles :whatup:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They should make the volt run on diesel. Hippies would be conflicted.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do most people not really like diesel? I've never really heard of this negative attitude toward diesels but that seems kind of retarded considering diesels are a lot more economic than conventional gas?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do most people not really like diesel? I've never really heard of this negative attitude toward diesels but that seems kind of retarded considering diesels are a lot more economic than conventional gas?

Consumer perception is agonizingly slow to change, especially with cars. Most people still remember their neighbor's old smokeheap Oldsmobile diesel from the 80s and imagine all diesel cars are still a chattery, sooty mess that doesn't start when it's snowing.

Also, diesels are only clearly more economical in Europe, where the tax structure makes them cheaper. In the US, especially now that diesel prices are higher than for premium gas, the economy thing is pretty dicey, especially since I believe the price premium is around $2000 on diesel engines based just on engineering requirements.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Bob NewSCART posted:

Do you particularly like them? It's not going to save you any money given the pricing structure of both cars and fuel in the US so even if you don't feel either way about them why would you buy one? Most manufacturers don't bother with it.

The only market segment where diesels make sense in the US are huge trucks for obvious reasons and luxury SUVs, where the expense of the diesel engine is somewhat absorbed by the bigh margins on those vehicles to begin with, the fact that the other alternative is a huge gas V8, and that most of the buyers of these vehicles just use them as glorified minivans anyway so the lack of horsepower isn't really an issue. Surprise, that's pretty much what they sell. Even when BMW had the 335d they couldn't give the drat things away and I think they were slapping $10+k incentives on them in the final years of the E90.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

My neighbour has a 335d and my roomate didn't believe it was a diesel because it didn't sound like a truck.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-06/self-driving-cars-more-jetsons-than-reality-for-google-designers.html

I see a small but significant group of people circumventing any rules against driverless vehicles with more and more people jumping on board until the powers that be either acknowledge it works or hold out so long they're no longer relevant. It might be a long time until you can sleep in the back of your van that drives itself but I imagine a system like modern aircraft where the crew spends a lot of time just watching the computer will come pretty soon. There will probably be a time where you have to play kind of a shell game and pretend you're driving.

You know the government is going to drag their heels because thats just kind of what they do but once its clear driverless is safer they'll jump all over it.

Hopefully, one of the insurance companies embraces driver-less vehicles early to differentiate themselves and grab more market share.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Xguard86 posted:

Hopefully, one of the insurance companies embraces driver-less vehicles early to differentiate themselves and grab more market share.

I'd imagine once insurance companies figure out they can lower premiums and still make more money due to paying out fewer claims they'll lobby hard for the government to allow driverless vehicles.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't particularly like driving diesels with a manual because of the narrow powerband, but it's not like I have any kind of deep-seated hatred of them, I just find petrol engines more enjoyable to drive quickly.

Edit: Anyone else seen this thing about Chrysler introducing more basic versions of the SRT models, called "Core", so you get the performance stuff without being forced to also have the additional options if you don't want/need them?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 8, 2013

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

They are noisy. When I go to a city where, unlike here, most cars are -not- diesel, I find the silence completely eerie, like a ghost town.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

They're noisy and they smell bad, or at least the smell is far more noticeable.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

black snot is kind of gross, and probably not healthy, and the soot makes your helmet, riding gear and bike filthy. For some reason annual MOTs are completely incapable of pulling grossly polluting diesel passenger cars off the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

New vans!

fiat Ram Promaster

FWD, 3.6l gas v6 or 3l diesel turbo i4

Good thing it's not a beauty contest. Will america accept a FWD workhorse?

Ford Transit

RWD, 3.7 gas v6, 3.5 TTv6, or 3.2l turbo I5

Ford hasn't released the engine specs, but considering it's a RWD platform they'll probably match the F-150. The prospect of a 365hp, 420ft/lb, 20mpg motorhome gets me warm in the trousers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

drat, check out those guys hard at work!