Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Forgot one:

I'm definitely getting a ford focus vibe from this one. And I kinda like the first one that was posted, it looks over the top in a good way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Local dealership has this on the lot for $72,000, 2013 1500 Cargo Van 5.3 v8 4spd. Every time I drive by it makes me think the 80's Van craze is trying to make a comeback. Honestly, I kind of like it, it's got a weird presence when you see it in person.

Photo is from the dealers page for it, you'd think they'd take better pictures of it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YF19pilot posted:

Remind me to punch a Canadian next time I see one. Nothing personal, just a bit jealous. I suppose in 25 years I can import one south of the border.

Hey, to be fair our pricing is usually of the no lube variety compared to just south of the border, especially for anything that has a hint of performance or luxury.

We have our perks of 15 year import laws and this I guess.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throatwarbler posted:

Eh, it's not ugly but really just looks like a Hyundai. Pretty generic. :geno:

Yeah, I can kinda see a bit of the accent in there if you squint a little

I kinda like the pre-facelift more than this one, maybe it's just the angle.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

YF19pilot posted:

Non-urban driving. US isn't as dense as our European contemporaries, so outside of the cities the 1.0 might be a bad thing, at least from the buyer's perspective. Basically a 2.0 would be better suited to handle taller gearing for the interstate.

Does everybody in the US live in one city and work in another? Or does everybody live as far away from work as possible? How do you guys get such long commutes, or do is it just everybody takes long trips regularly? Canada has a much lower population density and I'd say 90% of most people's driving is city, top speed would be 70-80 kph for the major routes that take you from one end of the city to the other and 50-60 kph otherwise. The exception being the various small rural towns where I can see commutes being mostly highway for anything outside of the small town.

Are US cities really that poorly planned that the majority of people have ridiculously long commutes?

Any idea what the smallest engine available is in the US for various classes of cars? It would be kinda interesting to see the comparison to the euro offerings.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The hatch thing is that the new WRX doesn't have a hatch option. The regular Impreza comes as a hatch.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

VERTiG0 posted:

Most cars have stupid high speedometers

Isn't the reason something along the lines of people thinking a car is faster because the speedo goes higher? Even going as far as offering the higher trim cars with an even more ridiculous speedo to give the sense that they're better than their lower trim versions? God drat that line of reasoning is stupid.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Cream_Filling posted:

The lesson here being that people are stupid.

Undoubtedly true, I just wish more manufacturers followed Saab with their non-linear speedometer if they're doing the max displayed speed dick waving contest.

At least then you'd be able to read your 'normal' speeds easily and still be satisfied with a ridiculously high speedometer.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Who's the goon that added so much power to his Corvette that it became undriveable and then sold it for a GTO that he then modded to point that it became undriveable and then sold that for another Corvette? Because that's what I think of.

That's a problem we should all have :allears:

Can't remember the name either, I just remember him/her saying all his/her friends have high power cars/trucks too so that throws off their baseline for what power level feels fast.

I still think the general consensus is that 100hp more than you currently have is the perfect amount.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Obviously, seeing as they havent made a single turbo motor yet that was any good.

This ones quite zippy, seems to be flying over a lot of heads :v:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Aren't most press cars ringers anyway, specifically to get this kind of extra hype when they get put though their paces? Impressive none the less.

Even still, I am really happy that thing exists. Whoever said that the golden years of muscle cars are over, needs to raise their eyes from the morning newspaper. Just wow.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

oRenj9 posted:

Yeah, the 15% rule never made much since. The drag from a drive train is fixed, regardless of the power the engine makes. If you supercharge a car, the drive train doesn't magically become heavier and take more energy to power.

This article goes through the various reasons why that line of reasoning is flawed, and makes a good argument as to what actually goes into consideration when thinking of drivetrain losses. It's a pretty short article so it's worth the read.

http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1005-drivetrain-power-loss/viewall.html

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So, how long until we get rolling pin tires like the Flintstones cars to get all that power to the ground?

:golfclap:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Did Mazda ever fix their rusting issues with the new generations? I've seen 3's as late as 2010 MY have rusting issues locally, and anything from the 90's and early 2000's Mazda seems to have a rusty husk of it's former sheet metal. (Barring summer only cars like the miata or meticulously maintained examples)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Also here's a chart from hyundai, look how pathetically small those competitors bars are, those cars must be gutless.

I think that's one of the most misleading graphs I've ever seen. Even with a heavily truncated axis, the scale isn't even close to consistent between the bars. I don't know what to say... wow.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

On the other hand, they are a new emerging brand and it would suck for them if an improperly repaired Tesla were to malfunction in such a way that kills someone. Hell, look at what happened to the volt when the media ran the story they catch fire after crashing.

Just saying that the media won't really differentiate between an improperly repaired salvage car and one fresh off the showroom floor. Once they become a more established company I can see them relaxing a little at the parts desk.

E:fb

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 11, 2014

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I still think the key is scale here, Toyota and GM are both very well established and will be able to sell cars no matter what is making headlines this week, a but of bad press won't kill either.

But Tesla, bad press from sensationalized news reports might be enough to tank them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Ugh. I had one as a rental a couple years back and it was like the worst of everything rolled into 1 vehicle and was uncomfortable to top it off.

Maybe I'm weird, but I've had a loaded flex as a rental for work and it was actually pretty nice and fairly comfortable.

And someone mentioned hating the journey earlier, again had a loaded one as a rental and it was really good other than the lovely millage, even the interior looked pretty good but I know it's not durable. As a family vehicle it seemed to be great.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I love the contrasting roofs on these; it's like a huge Mini.

The contrasting roof really pushes the refrigerator on wheels looks. I still like them though.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you lose a lot of the benefit here, though, since those are both very short runner designs meant to connect to a turbocharger.

I think he meant that for a cross plane crank, with the reversed heads it's much easier to throw on 180° headers.

That dual twin scroll in-the-v turbo arrangement just looks magical to me, think of the spool, and how nice it could make the intercooler piping for a front mount or side mount arrangement.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

BoostCreep posted:

It's a shame this is all gonna get lost in the new car thread. Can we make a new thread where we can copy and paste stuff like this? Fucknag does such a great job of simplifying pretty complex ideas to fit them in short, concise posts. We need a place to consolidate these types of posts from across the forum.

2nd-ed

Perhaps a sticky to go along with the resources and stupid questions thread.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If these were to come stock I'd already own a miata.

Otherwise I'm pretty fond of the red gauge face and white needles look and centered tach of the 3rd gen turbo impreza's.

The Aston Martin gauge clusters look really nice in my opinion, I just can't get over the counter clockwise tach, it just really bugs me for whatever reason.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

You do not know the true freedom of owning an absolute piece of poo poo beater you don't give a rat's rear end about. Low power so planting your foot doesn't mean an instant ticket, parking mm away from a jackass who's double parked without worrying about scratches or dings is cathartic, for detailers it's absolutely mind blowing how much of a guilty pleasure it is to use the brush on the entire car, parts are usually cheap and plentiful in most junkyards, and they're an absolute blast to beat on.

The best new car is an old crap one apparently.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:circlefap:

With how unreliable the Veloster has been, I definitely need to check the numbers once this comes out. If only the Canadian pricing was anywhere near the US pricing :arghfist::(

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

A MIRACLE posted:

that must have taken so much restraint on the driver's part

Who are kidding, its all ecu controlled now, driver was probably an auto pilot like in MIB. No mere mortal could resist opening up the throttle on that halo car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

I don't wanna wait until Feb 3rd :(

Its my B day. Veloster is being a pos as usual. Been eyeing Ford since hearing about this. Its a sign.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

As wrong as these predictions usually are, I'd still say the hellcat is going to be a sought after future classic. Its the perfect muscle car; makes for a great bedroom poster, ridiculous power figure, comes in awesome colors, and has an attainable sticker price.

We really are in the golden age of muscle cars, maybe even cars in general. 300hp is considered pedestrian now among full size sedans, and we have the awesome stuff that the domestic manufactures have been releasing, plus the resurrection of the turbo-everything mentality.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

E: Ford RS chat continued:

On the other hand, leaving that much power on the table means you can get a tune right after driving off the lot and gaining 100hp.

My best guess is that the trans can't reliably hold more power so it's detuned. Same reason why the WRX 5/6speed doesn't like a lot more power and why the STI gets the bulletproof 6speed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Those taillights immediately made me think of the 2012 civic sedan. Looks better than the previous gen though

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Weird, a short-production run concept car that cost approximately $350k (2015 dollars) per example to build has a nice interior? Who would have thought?

I would like to point out the various super cars of the 80's and 90's, and to a somewhat lesser extent the early 2000's. Very expensive the lot of them, but many with interiors that are in the same league as their fiero replicas.

Money doesn't mean style.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Baby Bentley? (Fits better than those 300c's with the mesh grilles)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Throatwarbler posted:

VW actually puts rear view cameras under motorized badges and only pop out when you use it, thus preventing them from getting dirty in the first place.

Saw the ads on tv, first thing that came to mind is that in the north, in winter it'll be covered in a layer of ice and whatever plastic gears they are inevitably using for the movement of this badge will strip faster than a cheap whore.

As others noted, it's still going to attract dirt, now it's just going to be a pain to wipe off.

This is very much a warm climate invention without much thought put into how it'll preform in the frozen north.

And LOL at the commercials being all "oooo luxury!" About backup camera's considering it's being mandated and literally every new car will have that feature in a year or two.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

Bottom line I don't think there is a single dealership out there that is impeccably honest. Put a group of people on commission and eventually one or more will bend the rules.

Pretty much perfect statement. Go in expecting to deal with liars and the criminally inept and you probably won't be disappointed, and if you get someone good you'll be that much happier. But I still really wish Tesla's business model was more widespread, haven't heard much negative about it.

I'm soured on Hyundai ownership, but I still believe they can make great cars and the nature of dealer networks means it's not consistent for their customer service. The long annoying debacle with mine is documented in my Baja thread if anyone wants to read about life with a lemon and a not so cooperative dealer between the months of me not working on my Baja.

On another note I can't wait to see the new turbo Civic Type R when it's out, is this Honda's first turbo production car? (Other than the rdx) I wonder how it'll take to tuning?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

davebo posted:

RX-8 is AWD

:question:

As in Mazda RX-8, the RWD Wankel 4 door sports car with the rear suicide doors? That one?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

MrChips posted:

Mumble mumble brake-based LSD emulation mumble mumble.

Excuse me! eLSD! The latest and greatest, no more need for a dirty, heavy, and primitive mechanical unit. It's like going from bad carburetors to direct injection fuel systems!

This makes me sad. Bring back my mechanical diffs!

:smith:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Now this, this is the dream of anyone who has ever had the pleasure of owning a lemon, or dealt with a seemingly non ending stream of issues.

Living the dream, relatively speaking :allears:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

Lol okay dude, I didn't realize it was make poo poo up day. Did a Hyundai beat your mother or something?

It pretty much did, and I'd still take the Hyundai over the 300 in a heartbeat. I don't know how anyone could think the two are even close to the same class.

And LOL at the Audi price, notice how it's zero for the accessories? Start adding comparable equipment and the Hyundai starts looking better and better.

I think I'm immune to nice interiors. Can't find a single one that made me go "wow" (barring some supercars) even looking at the pretty to very high end stuff locally, they're nice and I want to really like them but I keep expecting something better I guess. And that's coming from someone used to an old Subaru, Honda's, and a Veloster.

Where the seal skin interiors at?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Made from geunuine free-range ford taurus hide.

It's important to me that when they go to slaughter that all their parts are used. Like the early native American culture, they had respect for the animals, nothing is wasted. I'm sure jaguar is still respecting this time-honoured tradition.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Which is why l/100km is the superior fuel economy measurement units :colbert:

Consumed /distance just seems so much easier to compare rather than it's inverse, especially once you get down to the really efficient range. This way it's easier to grasp just how small the differences are at the low consumption end, as well as why 1mpg in the single digit mpgs is a big difference while in the mid double digits it's almost insignificant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Guinness posted:

Subaru needs to make a Crosstrek WRX happen.

YES!

And all turbo Subaru's need to have prominent hoodscoops again. :colbert: