Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Flex is a love/hate thing. I like them, my wife hates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I think they're hideous but I really like the Transit Connect. Tempted to buy one of the models with no rear seating and make it into a camper conversion for me and my wife.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
We took a thousand-mile road trip in August in a Toyota Sienna. It was myself driving, plus my wife, my parents and my two kids. So four adults and two children, and all of our luggage.

It really wasn't bad at all.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

skipdogg posted:

And this is why I have an Escape. It seems like the Flex really appeals more to men than women, for some reason.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The only minivans I'd ever consider based on their looks are not sold in NA, wtf ?
Ford S-max (although it is due for a refresh now
and Opel Zafira Tourer.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Our vehicle shares a platform with the Odyssey... and with the amount of soft/off-roading we do there's no way we could get by with a minivan and an S2000. And the only way the S2000 is leaving is if something similar but better comes along in its place.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

And the only way the S2000 is leaving is if something similar but better comes along in its place.

Cayman GTS? :fap:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Powershift posted:

Speaking from my own experiences, if my BMW was my only car, and i really cared about it not looking used, there would have been 2 months last winter in which i couldn't leave my house because the ruts in the ice in the only entrance/exit to my subdivision did this.

That dealer plate card looks familiar

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Spatule posted:

The only minivans I'd ever consider based on their looks are not sold in NA, wtf ?
Ford S-max (although it is due for a refresh now
and Opel Zafira Tourer.

Those are definitely both hatchbacks and not minivans. If it doesn't have a sliding back door its not a minivan.

I'm totally biased but the 2015 Sedona is very sharp looking and very nicely equipped inside

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

He said better.

Minivans also own for highway travel, striking a superior middle ground between a luxury sedan and an SUV.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

eyebeem posted:

I get that I'm bias because I own it, but I really do think that the Flex is the sharpest looking people mover in the US. It doesn't hurt that we get the appearance package as a free add-on in California. It has the benefit of not being fuckoff massive in height and actually drives pretty drat well. We also own a Fiat 500, so it's not like we are unaware of how a "Car" drives.

Here's what mine looks like:

I think these are super cool.

It's pretty closely related to the Taurus, right?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

kill me now posted:

Those are definitely both hatchbacks and not minivans. If it doesn't have a sliding back door its not a minivan.

I'm totally biased but the 2015 Sedona is very sharp looking and very nicely equipped inside

Strange way to define a minivan, you'd think height and sitting position would be better criteria than the choice of doors, size too.
Your definition makes the smaller Ford Grand C-max a minivan.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sliding doors you say?

Chickenbisket
Apr 27, 2006
Hey now, he said back doors.

Like this Nissan Stanza.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

angryhampster posted:

I think these are super cool.

It's pretty closely related to the Taurus, right?

The Taurus/Explorer/Flex all share the same platform (fords D4 platform). Fun fact my SHO is actually several inches longer than our Explorer which blew my mind the first time I tried to park it in the garage. But yeah the Explorer Sport and the SHO we have are basically the same car underneath.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Spatule posted:

Strange way to define a minivan, you'd think height and sitting position would be better criteria than the choice of doors, size too.

It is, though? Minivans were originally mini-vans aka unibody car-based tall wagons with sliding doors and hatch (top-hinged) rears, which euros ended up calling 'people movers'. Sliding doors are a van feature but hatch rears are classically a station wagon/hatch thing not a van thing. Doors plus unibody and secondarily size are arguably the defining characteristics of a minivan. Most classic minivans have car-like ride-heights and seating position. The ur-minivan is probably the first-gen Dodge Caravan which was basically a K-car. Hell, the Grand C-Max is actually longer, wider, and taller than the SWB first-gen Caravan.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 14, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Ford Flex is actually a minivan, but idgaf about being seen in public in one. My parents have a 99 Villager and it's remarkably good for what it is.

I'd love either a new Transit conversion van for a tow vehicle, but a twin timbo Flex is right up there as well.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Minivans have sliding doors. The Flex is not a minivan.

I'd actually like ours even more if it WAS a minivan and had sliding doors. That would be the bees knees.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Spatule posted:

No, crossovers are what you have with that height and seating position but no sliding rear doors. Those vehicles are crossovers or tall hatchbacks.

I would say in order of importance the defining characteristics of a minivan are

Primary characteristics
Sliding rear doors (van feature)
Unibody
Low floor (compared to SUV/CUV's)

Secondary characteristics
Large Passenger capacity
General size

If its missing any of those its not a minivan
No sliding doors - CUV
Body on Frame - Van
High cargo floor - honestly don't think this exists with sliding doors and a unibody

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mange Mite posted:

It is, though? Minivans were originally mini-vans aka unibody car-based tall wagons with sliding doors and hatch (top-hinged) rears, which euros ended up calling 'people movers'. Sliding doors are a van feature but hatch rears are classically a station wagon/hatch thing not a van thing. Doors plus unibody and secondarily size are arguably the defining characteristics of a minivan. Most classic minivans have car-like ride-heights and seating position. The ur-minivan is probably the first-gen Dodge Caravan which was basically a K-car. Hell, the Grand C-Max is actually longer, wider, and taller than the SWB first-gen Caravan.

I dunno, there's a very strong case it was the Renault Espace, even if they never came to America. Same year as the Caravan, but with the one-box shape. But both owe an enormous debt to the Lancia Megagamma show car of 1978: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Megagamma

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

eyebeem posted:

I get that I'm bias because I own it, but I really do think that the Flex is the sharpest looking people mover in the US. It doesn't hurt that we get the appearance package as a free add-on in California. It has the benefit of not being fuckoff massive in height and actually drives pretty drat well. We also own a Fiat 500, so it's not like we are unaware of how a "Car" drives.

Stretched

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, the Flex really is a (in my opinion) more properly proportioned, more refined xB.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The xB looks like the redhead bastard child of the flex

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

eyebeem posted:

I love the contrasting roofs on these; it's like a huge Mini.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Augmented Dickey posted:

I love the contrasting roofs on these; it's like a huge Mini.

The contrasting roof really pushes the refrigerator on wheels looks. I still like them though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

Minivans as in small commercial van based vehicles with a bunch of seats in the back predate car-based minivans by decades. Also non-US commercial vans have been available with top-hinged hatch back rear doors since way before the 80s.

Chickenbisket posted:

Hey now, he said back doors.

Like this Nissan Stanza.

That picture horrifies me - 80s Nissan were enough of a death trap with a full B pillar let alone without

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's really funny seeing people with kids twist themselves into pretzels trying to justify buying anything other than a minivan.

BUT I MIGHT BUY A BOAT SOMEDAY

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's really funny seeing people with kids twist themselves into pretzels trying to justify buying anything other than a minivan.

BUT I MIGHT BUY A BOAT SOMEDAY

You don't need a minivan just to cart a couple kids around.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was reading an article about the Hellcat Charger today and somehow the Chevy SS crossed my mind - I couldn't remember how long its been around (it feels like forever, but obviously is pretty recent). No recent media coverage on it either since the MT option came along. I think Dodge's latest offerings are going to out the last nail in the SS's sales coffin.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Minivans as in small commercial van based vehicles with a bunch of seats in the back predate car-based minivans by decades. Also non-US commercial vans have been available with top-hinged hatch back rear doors since way before the 80s.

Those aren't minivans as we talk about them and aim at a totally different consumer. Minivans aren't commercial vans, otherwise they'd just be called vans.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

Those aren't minivans as we talk about them and aim at a totally different consumer. Minivans aren't commercial vans, otherwise they'd just be called vans.

Don't agree at all - stuff like the Toyota Liteace was definitely a minivan by the definition I agree with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PCOS Bill posted:

You don't need a minivan Suburban just to cart a couple kids around.

Or that pickup truck, or that ecoboost, or that GT model, or leather, or ______________________

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

You don't need a minivan just to cart a couple kids around.

I would love to see what the most popular family cars in other developed countries are. Why do American babies need all this stuff travelling with them all the time?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Mange Mite posted:

They are called "vans". The term minivan is a completely USA only term. In Asia, Aus, NZ market, unibody vans were made by Toyota, Nissan, Mazda etc and sold here either stripped out for commercial purposes, or with seats for passengers. Later on they made different bodies to differentiate passenger and commercial, but thats how they started in the Asian-Australian region.
They filled the gap for both purposes between the 1970s (when commercial van types like transits and befords disappeared), until late 90s when euro brand commercial only vans re-appeared like renault, vito and new transit.
For over a decade people were buying hi-ace, liteace, L300/starwagons, urvans, vanette, bongo/e1800/e2000/econovans, all with seats for family transport, or stripped out for trade and commercial use.
Europe it started with the espace and they call them "people movers", Japan calls them MPVs. No one else ouside of the USA calls them minivans unless we're trying to relate to someone from the USA.
E: My dad was a compulsive van buyer. Traded in his HT kingswood wagon in the 80s, and turned into van man, owning a few different ones as a family car.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 15, 2014

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

blk posted:

I would love to see what the most popular family cars in other developed countries are. Why do American babies need all this stuff travelling with them all the time?

to keep them quiet for the love of god

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

They don't, just most modern parents are morons that think their kid will somehow die if it doesn't have its entire nursery with it at all times.

I get by just fine with my little Corolla, and my daughter absolutely loves going on car rides because she gets to look out the window and see new things, instead of having a little TV in front of her or a million toys surrounding her at all times like kids in a minivan.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Terrible Robot posted:

They don't, just most modern parents are morons that think their kid will somehow die if it doesn't have its entire nursery with it at all times.

I get by just fine with my little Corolla, and my daughter absolutely loves going on car rides because she gets to look out the window and see new things, instead of having a little TV in front of her or a million toys surrounding her at all times like kids in a minivan.

My kids like car rides, too. Are you better than me because you drive a cheaper car and don't have as many creature comforts?

I'm not superior because I own a $1,200 stroller, but you're not superior because you don't.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

eyebeem posted:

My kids like car rides, too. Are you better than me because you drive a cheaper car and don't have as many creature comforts?

I'm not superior because I own a $1,200 stroller, but you're not superior because you don't.

Sounds like maybe he hit a little close eh

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

eyebeem posted:

Ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

eyebeem posted:

No I would be inclined to say that anyone who doesn't own a $1200 stroller is superior to anyone who does, at least in the area of financial responsibility.