Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Snowdens Secret posted:

"Big ones. :smug:" I'm sure they could've worked how buying this truck was like having a really big black cylinder a little more overtly, but I'm not sure how. Any sign GMC is going to take this to the logical conclusion and build their truck beds out of titanium?

We named it Sierra for a reason. :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BabyMauler posted:

(And I am a 3800 whore)

Ladies and gentlemen: Stockholm Syndrome.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Trucks haven't really gotten bigger. Cars have gotten smaller, largely because of CAFE. SUVs became popular because people still prefer big cars, but the government taxes them out of existence, unless there's a "flat load floor."

Then it's a truck, or SUV, and therefore not subject to the same rules as cars, and you can get yourself an Excursion for what you would pay for a "full size car" with probably less than half the interior volume.

Great loving system we have, isn't it?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New-Gen Jeep Cherokee chat:

WHAT IN THE EVERLIVING gently caress DID THEY DO TO THE CHEROKEE?!?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cream_Filling posted:

Hey, you wanted quirky and unique, you got it.

Rumor has it it's based off of an unproduced Alfa design to save money on engineering the tooling because they're incredibly shaky financially right now (this was actually reported as fact and not rumor by the WSJ). Obviously they deny this strenuously, but its so hideous (literally worse than the Compass) that I feel like that makes more sense than the alternative.

It's a godamned abomination. The fact that it's possibly an Alfa makes it even more hilariously terrible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

To be fair, the GTR release was a clusterfuck, with a glass jaw. The early transmissions were junk, and using launch control voided your warranty. Since then, Nissan has done everything in their power to keep their owners from using a built-in feature of their flagship performance car gently caress their owners.

Not a great way to sell cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

G8 GXPs are rarer than hens teeth, and their resale reflects that.

I still kick myself for not buying one new. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm predicting a new rotary, but that there will never be a factory turbo version, "because really, who the gently caress cares about enthusiasts, we just want to sell them to single women."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Still waiting for a gas-turbine extended-range EV.

:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

I want to like the new Merc but the 3 Series reputation and general design language keeps me from preferring it. I think it really sucks how BMW basically owns that segment and everything will always look like a 3-Series pretender even when the new 3 Series isn't what it used to be.

BMW: At least we didn't birth the ridiculous rolling poseur that is the CLA.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:negative:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

I could do with 10% less safety and 50% less weight/complexity/cost/design-restrictions, myself. We're way beyond diminishing marginal returns per unit of "safety" we require. Hell; seatbelts, crash standards from a decade ago, and improved driver training is all we actually need to require. The joy of being able to advertise 5 start safety ratings will do the rest for the everyday cars without requiring a thousand pounds and $10k of safety crap on the more specialized performance cars.

We're stuck in the end result of trying to legislate equipment and technological solutions to a training problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

No but you see, coupé refers to the body shape, not the number of doors :spergin:

ISO 3833-1977 posted:

The International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defines a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.

Mercedes-Benz can gently caress right off. The CLS is, at the most generous, a hardtop sedan.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is much easier than a regular hood. If you're French.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I always use the night panel, but my wife primarily drives the SAAB and I'm stuck with an 02 Civic.

I test drove a 2014 Kia Optima Turbo thing, and I really like it, even the center gauge readout was pretty nice.
How does everyone feel about the Optima Turbo? Its really cozy and I just want something decent for my new commute. I have a 450whp RX7, so I'm not really looking for something super sporty, just something to relax in.

The only thing I don't like is it has numb steering, really numb, and the electronic throttle is off putting vs the one in my SAAB, when I let off the throttle it still has some forward momentum instead of instant engine braking like a normal car, which kind of makes you clench your butt if you are letting off the throttle while doing a WOT run.

I drove a Kia something or other as a rental a year ago, and their version of drive by wire is... Different. It's more like an acceleration pedal than a throttle. It will seemingly maintain the same acceleration until you left off. It's really strange.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

My final 2 contenders when I was shopping were the FRS and a Golf TDI. I bought the Golf.

I wanted a Golf or a JSW baaaad, but every dealer in the area looked at me like I had three heads when I asked them to order one with the 6spd manual. One salesman wasn't even aware they offered a manual in their cars anymore. I ended up with a Volt.

But really, gently caress Miami, is what I'm saying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCOS Bill posted:

So you wanted a manual wagon/hatch type vehicle but ended up with a non-manual sedan. Your dealers probably knew they'd be wasting their time ordering it because you weren't dead-set on the car you wanted.

I wanted a Golf or JSW not for cargo space, but because the Jetta sedan is an ugly bitch. Also, I didn't so much want a manual, as I didn't want VWs fussy DSG.

Also, very, very, VERY tired of the "dealer knew he'd be wasting his time" excuse. I had the same problem when I tried to buy a GTO locally. They'd all hem and haw, and do everything BUT fill out the godamned order sheet. One tried to sell me a Solstice GXP instead. I ended up buying from a dealer out of state, and took it to my local Pontiac dealer for service, to rub it in their face.

Problem was, they were out of business. I wonder why.

The dealer exists to sell me the car I want, not whatever useless beige bullshit he has sitting on the lot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PCOS Bill posted:

Hey you don't have to justify yourself to me.

It was more me venting at the inane dealer structure. I loving hate dealers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Dealerships are the biggest reason I've yet to buy a new car. I shouldn't have to engage in this enormous complicated song and dance to convince you it's worthwhile letting me buy the car I want even before the ludicrous song and dance that is bickering over a few hundred dollars of the price. That's even assuming the car exists and I don't have to drive across town to every single dealership to find an example, which has been the case with every car I've wanted to buy for the last five years.

If I could pay an extra ten grand over sticker to kick the poo poo out of the salesman and his manager for an hour I'd do it.

All of this. My GTO, and now my Volt are both great cars, that I'd recommend to anyone in a heartbeat...

...If they didn't have to go to a General Motors dealer to get one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

That looks pretty good, actually.

Ford Grand Cherokee.

Also; lol @ "Chevy Trailblazer, The Ultimate American PPV."

"That you can't buy in America."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cars getting fatter will continue until we stop trying to use engineering to fix a driver training problem.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Self driving cars are going to happen before this.

If driver training was anything approaching effective, we could have vehicle autopilots NOW. The trouble is, it's something you would still have to monitor, and pay attention to. Not something you turn on, and then bury your face in a smartphone or book.

Even if we go to autodriving cars, ignoring the road will still be reckless, because, as I've said countless times, poo poo BREAKS, and as the nominal operator of the vehicle, you're still responsible for it.

If you want to be totally self-absorbed during your commute, take a train.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Throatwarbler posted:

poo poo breaks on human operated cars too. Autonomous cars don't need to be infallible 100% of the time to be an improvement, they only have to be better than the current state of people driving around texting and applying makeup.

I agree with you, but autonomous cars will only last until the first time the operator is ignoring everything going on around them, and their Googlecar plows through a school crossing, killing a couple kids.

Automation doesn't absolve an operator of responsibility. Trying to fix a training problem with an engineering solution still isn't effective.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powershift posted:

you say that, but then they go pull poo poo like this.

If you had shown my eighteen year old self this picture in 2001, I would have called you a loving lunatic. Challenger ain't my style, but gently caress, I'm glad they're building em.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sole Survivor posted:

I'm actually expecting the SS to hold value decently well. A decent 05/06 GTO is still over $15,000 and G8 GTs are still in the low 20s. G8 GXPs are listing for ~$30,000, but I don't know if they're actually selling.

That's my take on GXPs, too. I rarely see them under 30k, but the volume is so low, it's hard to gauge the market. I still kick myself for not trading my GTO in on one. I had knocked him down to sticker, and gotten a decent deal on the Goat, but I wasn't sure about my job security, and walked... :argh:

(Turns out I was right about the job, but still... :v:)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

Really, I can't imagine any amount of horsepower being a terrible thing, unless it's literally so powerful it's impossibly twitchy to drive. It's not like you're ever forced into using extra power you don't want.

Mark Donohue posted:

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

:colbert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jesus gently caress, I expected the Z/28 to be fast, but that's loving serious-level-fast.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skipdogg posted:

The EPA test is bullshit. Their 'highway' test is worthless. Average speed of 48mph and top speed of 60mph. I personally feel the bullshit EPA test results in more fuel being used as gearing in vehicles is optimized for the bullshit test. I routinely cruise at 70 to 85 mph (Texas) and fuel economy could be better if it was geared for max efficiency at real world highway speeds. Luckily transmissions with more gears are addressing this.

Re: truck chat here in Texas full size trucks regularly sell for 12 to 14k off MSRP. Best deal I ever saw was about 16K off

I don't understand why we get those retarded loving dumbed-down numbers in the first place. Just make it mandatory for the OEs to publish their BSFC numbers, and speed/load burn tables. They have the data already, they just don't release it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That price point makes it quite a bit more attractive to a brand/nameplate-insensitive buyer than say, a GT500... That's a hell of a lot of car for the money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fucknag posted:

More power than the old ZR-1 at 3/4 the cost. Motherfucker.

I still wonder if we'll see a new ZR-1 for this gen, but... how far can they realistically go with RWD?

"It will never have enough power until I can spin the wheels at the end of the straightaway in high gear."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

Also for those of you with hopes for a "bigger badder" ZR1 model this year; there more than likely isn't going to be one coming. The Z06 w/ Z07 package is the top Corvette this go-around :(

This model year, certainly, and probably 2016 as well, but the C7 not having anything above the Z06/07 for the remainder of production is a silly idea. They've proven there is a market for a $120k Ultra-Corvette, and I'm sure we'll start to hear rumblings soon.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Talk to anyone that's owned a 93-02 F-body about power window motor replacement. Particularly the first time, which requires using a holesaw to drill a rather large access hole in the internal door structure, just to get at one of the bolts.

:v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think that's A Thing on the Chevy Volt as well - I'm guessing they keep the fuel tank extremely well-sealed compared to a regular car since they're trying to make E10/E15 gasoline stay good for up to a year without adding in any stabilizers.

The fuel tank is actually positive-pressure. It's mostly for evaporative emissions compliance, but it also keeps moisture out of the tank, and keeps the (terrible, bullshit, shouldn't-be-loving-subsidized-anymore) corngas from going bad.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Want to see a million Jeep fans, and a good portion of Ohio loving riot?

Possible aluminum, unibody, turbo four cylinder Wrangler.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

D C posted:

And they went and designed to cockpit for the asian market apparently. A NC Miata has a more useable interior setup. I literally cant sit in the Solstice/Sky.

This is what prevented me from buying a Solstice GXP Coupe. Such a cool little car. Stress little.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bajaha posted:

Hell, look at what happened to the volt when the media ran the story they catch fire after crashing.

My favorite part of that story was that the headline was right, but HILARIOUSLY misleading.

"Chevy Volt battery catches fire after crash testing!" Is a perfectly true statement. However the complete version is terrible at selling newspapers:

"Chevy Volt battery catches fire three weeks after crash testing, when the test agency failed to disconnect the battery as the manufacturer recommends, and then left the car upside down, in the rain!"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

bull3964 posted:

Car's aren't going to be driverless, at least not for a very very long time. They will just be highly automated in certain driving modes. At the end of the day though, the person behind the wheel (who will have to keep their hands on the wheel) will still be responsible for what their vehicle does.

The lawyers are going to get loving RICH in the meantime, though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

angryhampster posted:

Shut your whore mouth the vq sounds delightful.

This is delightful.

potatophone video

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Grater posted:

Yes, how dare an unmodified v6 in a commuter car not sound as good as a modified v8 sports car.

Buzzkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I

Powershift posted:

I've personally outgrown the whole "fuel economy" thing for the most part, and with that small diesels.

Diminishing returns for higher numbers, and the cost of enjoying driving for me is worth it. I can do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds with a pleasurable V8 rumble and get 30mpg highway. a 40mpg car is going to run like poo, sound like poo, drive like poo, and over 100,000 miles only save 833 gallons, or around $3332 at 4 bucks a gallon. Even if you do that in 5 years, that's $666 a year. That's 1 car payment on a newer diesel vehicle. half of an injector pump. one set of injectors. 1/20th of the first year depreciation. 1/5th of the 5th year depreciation.

If i had a boring rush hour high traffic low speed soul killing time wasting commute already, what's one more nail in the coffin buying a boring commuter car. Luckily i don't, and most of my traveling involves a choice of 4 highways to do the job, some of which i've driven 200km on without seeing another car.

I have a Volt to commute in. My other car makes just north of 600hp, and still gets 25mpg cruising down the highway, if I can keep my foot out of it.

:getin:

A commuter car just lets you get wackier and/or less sane with your fun car/truck. Something that would loving SUCK rear end to drive in traffic five days a week is just fine. :v: