Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Nismo RS FWD has a six speed manual and an LSD, more power than the same-size Fiesta and for better or for worse is a unique looking car.

I've never even sat in a Juke but if I were in that market I'd cross-shop the Nismo RS with the Fiesta ST. It's hard to go back to a quick FWD car without a real LSD after having had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Rhyno posted:

Wait, the new Miata has a turbo? Is this confirmed?

Almost certainly not.

Fiat is getting to use the platform however and if the 500 Abarth is anything to go by the Fiat Miata will be the Best Car Ever.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Well if we're posting Mazda fan fiction, given the Fiat partnership maybe we'll get an MX-5 with a Mazda chassis and an SRT engine!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Well if you're going to take a trip down Fantasy Lane why not skip the lovely rotary altogether and pretend that Mazda's been delaying the ND while they await shipment of thousands of LS3 crate motors.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

I was just saying that there aren't enough $40,000 6 cylinder coupes on the market. The lexus RC, infiniti Q60, mercedes c350, BMW 435i, audi s5, and cadillac ats coupe all leave such a huge gap in what i'm sure is a massive segment of the industry.

Well at least the interior in the Hyundai will hold up better than the Cadillac.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Phone posted:

Official press kit for the 2015 Mazda2 is out: http://jalopnik.com/the-2015-mazda2-is-how-you-make-a-good-looking-small-ha-1606492167

That interior. That gauge cluster. :swoon:

That is legit the best interior design I've seen in any modern car, it's going to age so well.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

From a functional level this has to be the best interior out there. It's just as clean any of the well regarded drivers classics with all the highest tech functionality.

As gorgeous as the new TT is I just can't get over the fact that it's a $50-60k Golf.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Friar Zucchini posted:

Another way to look at it is that the Golf is a $23K Audi TT.

More like a $33k Audi TT.

:canada:

Actually, since the FWD based Audis use a stupid Haldex system instead of real Quattro I'd rather have FWD with an LSD regardless of price.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cat Terrist posted:

The only thing I can think of seeing that is imagining the money it'll cost to replace the dash when it fails.

Silly Terrist, Audis are for leases!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Phone posted:

Like I said, from 10 weeks ago and it's still a Chrysler mule.

Still not seeing the turbo on the ND, though. :P

The Mazda is getting a hotter 2.0 Skyactiv, the Fiat/Alfa is getting the 1.4L Abarth motor.

If that's true then barring a major price discrepancy I can't see why you'd want the Mazda.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

dissss posted:

I'd take the N/A every time - never been a fan of how power gets delivered on those small capacity turbos, and Skyactiv should give fuel consumption that is at least in the same ballpark.

Hmm you raise some good points, however,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Because Mazda knows what they are doing

The car will still be a Mazda and probably even made on the same production lines, just with an SRT engine and if there's one thing Chrysler does better than Mazda it's engines, especially from the SRT group.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

My understanding of the engine in the Abarth is that it's been thoroughly gone over by SRT on the North American models.

Chrysler has a long history of putting out crazy poo poo, some of which is terrible and some of which is awesome, but their track record on boosted I4 engines swings heavily toward crazy awesome and from what I've read the Abarth engine is a stout little fucker.

Powershift posted:

Power numbers are out for the 2.7 ecoboost in the f-150, 325hp/375ft/lb

Here it is out-towing the ecodiesel ram and 5.3 V8 silverado. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n2uEx8CojE

My concern with the new 2.7 Ecoboost is that the Powerstroke, which uses the same block technology from what I can tell, has never been particularly reliable and that unless it's priced quite aggressively the V6 Ecoboost will just be a much more attractive option for a full-size truck.

Ford's new 2.7 Ecoboost combined with the lighter aluminum body certainly has the potential to be completely ground-breaking, but I wouldn't put my money on it over the more proven V8 or V6 Ecoboost until it's been on the market a few years. They've done their well-marketed durability tests but those don't necessarily reflect how mass-produced examples will hold up in terms of failure rate in the wild.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 23, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KillHour posted:

I'd be worried about grenading the transmission (or clutch plate) on my brand new car.

You wouldn't. Unless you're actually trying to damage the thing it's nearly impossible to gently caress up a modern manual, worst case you slip the clutch too much and shorten the lifespan of a wear part.

There are many vehicles I'd never want a manual in, from trucks to something like the Hellcat, but in smaller or sportier cars it has to be a manual for me. As good as some modern automatics are I just find myself more engaged with the driving process and thus a much safer driver when I have a manual.

I sincerely believe the relative disconnect of an automatic transmission is a safety issue as you no longer have to be watching ahead and paying attention to traffic just to operate the vehicle.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I used to be in the habit of starting out in second gear to save a shift and keep revs relatively low for fuel economy. I have no idea if that was a good idea or stupid given the but of extra slipping involved but the clutch seemed to be fine with it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

On the topic of Ford, an all-new Mustang and an all-new F-150, where the hell is the Ecoboost V8 to poo poo on everyone else's engine lineups?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Why not, it's not like the rest of the Ecoboost lineup is particularly efficient.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

YF19pilot posted:

Is that the new all-aluminum F150? I think it's great, even though one of my favorite radio hosts can be a bit :tinfoil: about the safety of aluminum bodied cars.

In most crash types involving a body on frame truck it's the frame that carries most of the hit and the frame of the new F-150 is still steel. In addition, an aluminum body can be (And I hope/assume has been) made more than sturdy enough to protect occupants in a rollover. Beyond the fact that it's completely technically feasible to make a super-safe aluminum vehicle these trucks still have to pass the same safety tests that every other truck does, worrying about the safety of "aluminum" is loving stupid and those concerns can be dismissed out of hand. If the new F-150 isn't the safest truck on the road it's because Ford hosed up, not because ~~*aluminum*~~

sudo rm -rf posted:

Is it possible aluminum could go industry wide? No rust ever again would be sick.

Yes, right about the time everything is full electric or hybrid. Aluminum and composites are the future but it's a ways off yet for mainstream vehicles, though I personally believe that the best-selling truck/vehicle in North America being built with an all-aluminum body will help expedite the process of getting supply chains, tooling technology and recycling capacity up to the point that aluminum becomes a feasible alternative to steel in mainstream applications.

fknlo posted:

I still think the biggest concern is going to be repairing them. Yeah, the ones getting used for legit work requiring a truck aren't going to care, but those people are in the minority any more. Those parking lot dings are going to add up.

Most body panels aren't repaired anymore, they get replaced for anything beyond a tiny dent. For paint scratches the process shouldn't be substantially different and in fact won't be necessary at all for anything but cosmetic reasons due to the manner in which aluminum oxidizes. In addition, and it's been mentioned, with the significantly decreased mass of aluminum the manufacturer can and hopefully has created thicker than normal body panels which will actually be more dent-resistant.

My only concern regarding the aluminum F-150 as a potential buyer would be galvanic corrosion, either due to a fuckup by Ford engineers or by a repair shop down the road.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

IOwnCalculus posted:

At least seven hundred and eight.

That new 2.7L Ecoboost V6 is tiny and the CGI block should be strong enough to handle a ridiculous amount of boost.

5.4L V12 Ecoboost. Do it, Ford.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Powershift posted:

I don't understand why the motorcycle companies that also make cars can't make a car that reflects what they do with a motorcycle. Honda and suzuki make superbikes, but produce shitbox cars.

Developing a car is orders of magnitude more complex and expensive than developing a bike. Besides which, Suzuki makes solid cheap vehicles and Honda makes the best, or damned near the best, cars in every segment which they compete in. When Honda actually gives a poo poo about catering to car nerds they produce something like the NSX, Integra Type-R or S2000; Honda makes boring cars because boring cars make money, not because they're incapable of making world-class sports cars.

I doubt Kawasaki could build a road-worthy, marketable, real (Not a kit car) car without a massive corporate restructuring, to say nothing of the dealership and repair requirements.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I think I'd rather do a lot of highway driving or commuting in a Challenger than a Mustang or Camaro and if I wanted a track-focused car it wouldn't be a Mustang or Camaro anyway.

I totally get the Challenger even if I'd never personally buy one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BabyMauler posted:

That GLA is just an A-Class hatch in heels with some black plastic bits glued on, and they have the balls to call it a loving SUV. I just don't understand this stupid trend of dancing around hatchbacks in America with these dumb "CUV" versions with worse driving dynamics. I bet it would outsell an A-Class hatch 3 to 1 here sadly.

The top-selling family sedan in America is a crew cab truck and this surprises you?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Augmented Dickey posted:

If they are just using it to perform the same tasks that a midsize sedan could complete, then yes, 18 mpg is pretty goddamned bad.

Sure but how do you factor in the value of being able to just drive over curbs and barriers at the grocery store parking lot rather than having to follow the painted lines?

I sometimes miss driving a small truck just for all the poo poo I could drive over or through and wish there was going to be a modern small truck on the market next year made by anyone but GM.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

The new GMC Canyon diesel is pretty tempting

The new Canyon/Colorado look tempting on paper but they're being made GM, the Pinto-level evil and incompetent company whose latest major recall in an attempt to stave off future criminal negligence lawsuits is for loving seat mounts in their trucks which are so poorly welded they can crack and shear off.

I wish Rangers weren't holding their value so well on the used market, they're nicely sized little trucks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

keykey posted:

I would kill for a 2 door shooting brake to be sold in the states instead of bloated out pimp mobiles that homies and bro's in this area love.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I just hope the new Colorado sells well enough to make Toyota do a substantial redesign of the Tacoma.

From everything I've seen of the new Colorado, its price, engine lineup, and now fuel economy, I think I'd rather just buy a brand new ancient Tacoma. It may have drum brakes but it'll hold value better, hold itself together better, and won't aggressively try to kill its occupants by virtue of being a GM.

These Colorados are probably going to have wicked sick cash rebates available this time next year though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

So that's why they outright stated that no Hellcat Dart was going to happen.

We're getting the SRT-426 instead!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

SRT-354*

:laugh:

Hence the "FirePower" tag.

Yes, but I prefer my way.

Chrysler seems to be undergoing a Ford-like metamorphosis from being a manufacturer of inexcusably wretched American poo poo to a legitimate world-class automaker, I sincerely hope they continue the current trend as they still seem to be the automaker most willing to make awesome things like the SRT and Abarth lines.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

I love them because instead of changing their lineup to draw more from international trends like GM or Ford, they've just doubled down on the "gently caress you we're American" path.

Exactly, but they're drawing from the old-school good American, not the more modern "Builds loving horrible poo poo that falls apart around you and may or not may not murder you and your loved ones due to manufacturing defects and design flaws intentionally allowed into production to save a few bucks" American that is GM.

I think the proof is going to be in the Dart SRT, as awesome as the SRT Grand Cherokee, Charger and Challenger are they're still just bigger V8 options in models that already have a V8. Given the 4WD system they designed for the new Dart-platform based Cherokee and the fact that the Pentastar V6 fits in it I am hoping and expecting the upcoming Dart SRT to just rip the balls off every other hot hatch on the market, SRT-4 Neon style.

Powershift posted:

:siren: half an hour until the new mazda miata is unveiled :siren:

livestream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze5GPxABcMs

poo poo, I'm not even going to be considering a new car until next year and I'm hyped for this. I can't wait to see the Fiat version personally, the 500 Abarth is one of my favourite new cars being made today; little fucker just has so much god drat character.

Edit: New Miata is gorgeous. I need one.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 4, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

:rolleyes:

Hey, if I hang 800 lbs of poo poo from my keychain or bang the key fob repeatedly with my knee or drive drunk in bad weather, side swipe a car, and then roll into a ditch things might not work properly.

Well sure let's pretend for a moment that's not an issue that has literally killed people, now you just have to worry about getting into an accident and your loving seat breaking loose due to poor welds!

Even disregarding the Pinto-esque design flaws that management has covered up at GM over the past decade they still produce ugly, lovely vehicles with poor resale value and atrocious interiors that are somehow worse than the value-driven Koreans. I know the Corvette is cool and that somewhere within GM there lurk some competent engineers, but don't pretend that their products for the past few decades have been competitive at all outside of the fleet and utterly uninformed buyers markets. GM builds poo poo, even their trucks which are by far their best products are relatively poo poo compared to the competition. Yes, I am also aware that the Allison transmission they use on their HD diesels is awesome, but everything wrapped around it is garbage.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Fayez Butts posted:

It's been 15 minutes, let the bitching photoshopping commence! Sure, Jaguar might sue em for Taillight Infringement but I think the Miata's rear lights would look a heck of a light better if they had 'eyelids'

The important thing is that while the ND Miata MX-5 looks lovely save for a couple things it's being shared with Fiat and from this base the Italians shall surely carve something beautiful.

I hope.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

You seem very mad about this. Have you considered expressing your feelings in the form of Calvin peeing on things?

Noticing that a lovely manufacturer produces lovely products is hardly being "mad" sorry.

Is there any info on when Fiat/Chrysler is showing their version of the new MX-5?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm really liking that this whole " we were on the cusp of victory until Daimler treacherously stabbed us in the back! :hitler:" excuse for everything bad Chrysler ever did is really starting to take hold.

It's more like "We were treading water and maybe even making a little forward progress until Daimler stole our life preserver and pissed in our face".

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

I've been working at a large auto auction for 15 years now, and this is accurate. As it was, we cut like 40% of our employees, and my department went from getting around 150-200 cars a day to, I poo poo you not, zero on a lot of days. We barely survived. There's no way that Chrysler and GM going under wouldn't have destroyed the lives of millions of people, myself included.

We only started to get consistently somewhat busy starting last year, and we average 75-125 cars a day now. 6 years later and we've yet to get back to where we were.

That's not even touching on how many of our smaller customers went under due to being unable to secure financing for their customers anymore, or if they were a small new dealer, they had their franchise yanked out from under them and consolidated under some of our larger customers.

This is what people who bitch about the GM bailout don't understand. These companies are so ridiculously massive and employ the services of so many other supplier companies that Ford, GM, or even Chrysler going under would be an unprecedented loving disaster in America. Does GM deserve to die? Yes, absolutely, but it would destroy tens of thousands of lives to let the company go under.

Honestly GM should have been seized and nationalized and run like a Canadian crown corporation, just as the major telecoms should be in North America.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

KakerMix posted:

Seems pretty clear if GM is too big to fail then it stands to reason we should, as it has already been suggested, break it up Bell-style and spin them all off as their own entities.

The problem with that plan is that the only things GM has that are worth anything are the Corvette, Camaro, and trucks. Their trucks basically sell due to incentives and redneck brand loyalty as they're inferior to Ford and RAM, the Camaro is a fat turd that sells based on past brand strength, and the Corvette is legit pretty awesome but is a low-volume car that isn't worth much outside of the context of a brand halo.

None of the pieces of GM are worth poo poo, better to just nationalize the whole thing, completely gut the management from top to bottom, and rebuild the company.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Nah guys, the cheap, reliable, accurate, and in all ways objectively superior Timex watch obliterated the luxury watch market.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

VikingSkull posted:

The Big 3 said the same thing about Japanese cars in the 70's.

If Ferrari was winning in motorsport it wouldn't matter, but rich people didn't get rich by wasting money.

No, they got rich by inheritance or by making a killing off a timely investment or business decision. You don't become rich through frugal saving and hard work.

Remember the little depression of a few years back? The only market that continued trucking along and experienced growth during a global economic crisis was that for luxury goods. Wealthy people don't give a poo poo that their $10,000 handbag was made the same way as a $10 Walmart handbag, they don't give a poo poo that their $50,000 Patek doesn't keep time as well as a $50 Casio, and they don't give a poo poo that their $1,000,000 Bugatti can't go around a race track as quickly as a $100,000 Viper.

Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin, and all the other exotic marques are luxury brands and luxury brands have never been about the product; they're about exclusivity, social cachet, and conspicuous consumption.

The only thing that will ever seriously harm Ferrari is making a car that normal people could afford.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I just had a terrible thought about the new Miata!

What if a V8 won't fit anymore?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

You'd have to have a really tiny engine bay to keep an LS engine out of it.

True, I think given how far back they've pushed the engine in the new Miata that fitting the larger transmission would be more of an issue.

On the Miata topic, is there any word even unofficially on when we can expect to see the Fiat version? Even with the taillights as they are I love the new Miata but I can't help but think I'll love the Italian version with an Abarth engine and exhaust even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

As always, the V6 Mustang is the best performance bargain on the market.

As always, it will never get respect.