Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've been drooling over that focus st since I found out about it. So much for so little.

I've been rolling around in suv land (parent's old car, can't say no to free) so long I'm having some kind of weird rebound lusting after minis and abarths and focuses. I want it small, turboed yet strangely practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think X6's objectively looks cool but they're so ridiculously illogical that I won't allow myself to actually like it. I hope in 50 years they'll auction them off under the "what the hell were they thinking category".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I do like that it has a windshield you can actually see out of. Playing forza with the cockpit view makes you realize how ridiculous it is to drive 140 mph looking out of a mail slot. Not that it actually matters to me since I will never own or drive anything at that level but I appreciate the practical touch.

I did watch a guy try and fail to back a murcielago into a spot at starbucks for 5 minutes. It was like catching a super model on the shitter.

EDIT: its hard to blame people for wanting to upgrade their cars every few years these days. My car is 5 years old and has no bluetooth, no device integration, archaic navigation (updated data but terrible UI and barebone features).

This is a loaded luxury car, You can get these as an option on econoboxes now. Comparable new models can self park, radar adjust cruise control and give you a handy while you wait for pandora to buffer.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 18, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

ferrari and aston martin don't seem to build their cars as wide as lambo. Those things take up the horizontal space of an SUV with a probably worse turn radius and no curb hopping.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I saw a new SHO with smoked headlights and matte black paint. Just needed a push bar and spotlight.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

does anyone know how many ST's they're making? Generally, I know it depends on how well it sells but is the plan to make them sort of like a Mustang GT to V6 or a more limited quantity?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Car sales have been down a lot the past few years and interest from young buyers is particularly low and isn't just based on having no money but seems to include lifestyle choices.
The emerging markets are pretty wild and it's hard to tell what they're going to buy.

I sometimes think these companies are just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks before they're too unprofitable to experiment.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Last time I went to the drag strip there were quite a few of those dodges running various levels of time with various modifications. Some were fast indeed.

This is Texas though where I have seen more than one convertible pickup. And not a ssr.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

someone start a blog dedicated to reviewing cup holders in cars. This is information you just cant get from mainstream sources.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

hifi posted:

Once they see the Quad Exhaust Tips they step off.

I thought that exhaust was cool until I saw they were just double stacked tips. Thats just as dumb as the fake hood scoops on mustangs. Lame

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

bull3964 posted:

You know, the whole start of this derail kinda bothered me to begin with. In PA, it's just as illegal for a passenger in a car to consume alcohol as it is the driver as we have open container laws. So, I read it from the perspective of "passenger is asking me to put my driver's license at risk so that he can drink a beer before the game."

We have that too, so if he had stopped at that I'd be in agreement.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

GM built a road legal golf cart many years ago. I don't know if they're still building them but I see them running people around our bar nightlife area sometimes

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

angryhampster posted:

Thinking of the GEM perhaps? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEM_Car

My aunt and uncle have one, and they LOVE the thing. They're retired, live about 2 miles from the grocery store and all their friends, so they use it for most of their daily driving duties.

Ya that's it. They even have turn signals, which I find amusing for some reason.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think an IS-F with a stock body kit would be pretty cool. I think the IS looks pretty nice without the bulbous ground effects and cheesy exhaust.

However, I would enjoy it because it was quietly fun to get on freeway onramps and pass grandmas in camrys while cushy enough to sit in traffic or text dangerously. Not for its force field or pussy shrapnel capabilities. If I had a 65k budget for a car I would also probably not buy an IS-F over the CTS-V or like a challenger srt8 with money left for a nice exhaust or something.

In new car news: I just read the next mini will have a 3 cylinder engine. How does everyone feel about that? Makes me feel... weird.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Dielectric posted:

Do you feel... odd?

Triples in motorcycles sound pretty drat good, so at least there's that.

Good one. My boorish American mind just associates 3 cylinders with riding lawn mowers or Japanese scooters or something.

If it has a cool and distinct exhaust note then all the better. Especially if you can hear some turbo woosh over a sport bike rev.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

NOTinuyasha posted:

Allow me to kill it for you: zero to sixty in eleven seconds. Slower then a Prius.

At one point do modern cars fall into dangerously slow? 14?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

considering most American roads its pretty logical to want something comfortable that goes well in a straight line without a lot of regard for much else. Sizing is a little nuts though, but that appears to waning a little as smaller cars are gaining at least a toe hold of interest.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Hyundai really needs a new logo. Hell, even their old 80s logo looks better than the one they have now.

I've seen an eagle looking emblem on a few genesises and velosters.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I've noticed many of the new European cars have mirrors that flip and retract. Is this just a style thing or does it serve a purpose over the more conventional single hinge?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

I think he's asking whether the alternate mechanism offers any benefits over simple single hinge folding mirrors, not why they fold at all.

Yes, which I guess was answered by "they fold tighter" although IDK it seems like less than inch.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

yes thats what I mean. Sorry for being kind of vague. I understand the purpose of power folding mirrors that move like a door hinge. My giant SUV has that and its a godsend for navigating small spaces. Those have been around for a long time, I was asking about the mirrors that fold like Linedance's picture.

I first thought it was a BMW thing but I've seen other Euro cars with that configuration so I was wondering what caused that switch, if it was anything more than just "looks neat".

PS it does look neat.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

counter point: I've seen a couple Fisker Karmas driving around and I think they look cheap for a ~100k car.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

my primary problem is those diamond vent things on the bumpers that look like a poorly made body kit and the grill that looks like it came off a 2001 lancer. If they dropped those things or made them fit the body shape and did something to class up the grill, I'd give it good marks. The sheet metal is very nice

It also looks kind of chunky but thats almost every car.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mmm what's that twin turbo v8. Yes please

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

You know what? gently caress the 60's. These muscle cars are better.

There, I said it. :colbert:

Forty years of development will do that. Although it's probably more like ten since the American companies have had their heads up their asses for the most part in the 70s 80s 90s.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

The thing is how basically no other car companies other than maybe Hyundai bother to try and compete in the pony car segment. I'm assuming it's something to do with product planning and world cars or whatever.

most of the world would probably be looking at hot hatches instead.

inexpensive, cool looking, fast but still daily driveable. The real difference is America has more space, cheaper gas and straighter roads.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cream_Filling posted:

Also an incredibly different tax structure.

Hot hatches are still kind of expensive in the US. And the "cool looking" part is questionable, considering that most hot hatches look basically identical to the economy cars they're based on with some additional body kitting stuck on top.

I guess its subjective. I assumed that the Europeans buying them think they look good.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

If they offered an upgrade for like 500$ every year I bet they would see a better return than trying to use it as a feature to entice new buyers.

My 07 nav is so inferior to my phone I just don't use it and for my next car I don't want the navigation package because it will be antiquated so quickly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Cakefool posted:

If a single person keeps their car a year longer after upgrading their stereo, that's a car you didn't sell this year. Dumb idea for the manufacturer.

versus the money you get from people putting off a new car but dropping a few hundred for the upgraded unit.

My point of view is that the gizmos alone aren't enough to get people to buy but you could pick up that long tail money selling refreshes.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

a lot of this stuff gets a lot of grumbling until people learn the new system and the manufacture gets a chance to polish it a little after feedback. iDrive is supposed to be pretty good and well liked these days.

Sometimes it does seem like change for the sake of change and stuff like AC can stay a knob you turn. Push button start that still requires key insertion is another one of those "why?" things.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

hahah holy poo poo it looks like all those stupid old jokes about windows 95 powered cars crashing are coming true a decade later.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I think it's alright. The dart seems like a pretty awesome car especially given that and rwd in a Fwd dominated segment.

VVV really?! poo poo I thought it was rear. drat

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 30, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

drat, the brochure printed in Dart Performance Font fools another kid via R vs F.

I feel so betrayed. I guess its a little above the Dart's the price point but the focus st and some version of a mini S seems like a better choice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

PT6A posted:

I can't imagine a good place to put that which would result in a good resting position for my left foot and the ability to use the clutch. Why did that exist in the first place is a better question.

EDIT: And regarding headlight confusion, the first time I drove my car at night, the loving automatic lights confused the gently caress out of me, since they were on, but I had never turned them on, and it wasn't immediately obvious what lightbulb-A meant. So I actually pulled over and read the manual to figure it out.

Any place with long tunnels (I'm thinking specifically about the ones between Golden and Revelstoke on the Trans-Canada, but any tunnels will do) will also have the morons that cannot read (or choose to ignore) the "use lights through tunnel" sign. Guess what? The automatic sensor isn't going to react quickly enough. Twist the fuckin' dial one spot over so I don't run into your stupid slow-driving rear end.

my auto lights come on pretty fast, usually 5 seconds after I'm in a tunnel. My friend was a valet and did an unofficial check for who uses auto-lights. He said it was less than half of the people who had them equipped. Not scientific but he had a >100 car sample size over a year or so. It's very possible those people with their lights off because they're bad drivers or have their autolights off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've always wondered why anytime I take my car in for service at the dealership, they turn off the automatic lights.

probably dark enough in the shop to set off the sensor and annoying to anyone working across from the bay or otherwise near the car.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

CornHolio posted:

full-scale cargo van with dual opening rear doors and a rotary engine :black101:

the secret is when you open the cargo area its just one giant rotary spinning like the diesel engine on a battleship. This will also make the van hop at idle, low rider style. BosozukoX9 new for 2017

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'm a car fan and I kind of forgot Suzuki made cars.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Well there goes any hopes of the Evo coming back. Sigh.

on the bright side, the STi is going strong and there are many practical yet fun and somewhat affordable options out there.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

This must be a common thing because there's a few of these in my area too. The "Mitsubishi dealer" with a few token Lancers and Outlanders, then a sea of awful cars all with around 90k miles going for $8-9k in their offshoot "King of Credit" lot. I guess it'll be an easy transition when Mitsu finally pulls out of the US, their dealers will just devote more time to ripping used car buyers off.

my friend test drove an evo back when the 8 was the latest car and the salesman was basically this guy:

He was terrified of my friend doing anything at all in the car, even legal acceleration to get on the highway. It made the test drive so unpleasant. The lot was all sad used cars, Mitsu SUVs, a million lancer O-Z "rally spec" and like 2 evos.

In contrast: the Nissan dealership practically threw us the keys to a 350 Z and basically said if we got arrested they would get the car but we'd have to make bail ourselves. I wasn't even shopping for cars and I almost bought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT: Reading Lutz's book, IMO the absolute worst thing to come about from the 2008 financial crisis was when OBUMMER forced GM to cancel the supercharged Escalade-V that they already had ready to go. I mean yeah I know some people lost their jobs and houses and all that but god drat the lack of a hi-po Escalade still makes me wake up screaming some nights.

The Escalade is a pretty soulless driving experience outside of the nice engine noise if you get a non-stock exhaust. Its pretty competent given the size and shape but its surprisingly hard to have any emotional connection to the thing.

An Escalade-V might have been a little livelier but its pushing rocks up a hill to make that thing entertaining.