Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Enfys posted:

It's cheap romance/thriller/paranormal bargain bin type stuff for the most part.

Don't forget to check your library's ebook catalogue when you get it as you can easily check out a lot of books online

Ya my sister told me about this and I will use that.

I bought the Paperwhite version but Amazon.ca is out of stock so they will ship it next week when it is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ulio posted:

Ya my sister told me about this and I will use that.

I bought the Paperwhite version but Amazon.ca is out of stock so they will ship it next week when it is available.

You might want to consider cancelling and getting the Oasis instead. I have the paperwhite and it's great and all but the pure touch interface gets kinda annoying sometimes when it misinterprets a swipe. Forward/backward buttons are a big convenience that I miss from the earlier iterations.

On the other hand the paperwhite is probably cheaper.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Oasis costs literally twice as much and has a goofy asymmetric shape.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ornamented Death posted:

The Oasis costs literally twice as much and has a goofy asymmetric shape.

oh fuckballs

they really make this poo poo hard, dont they?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

You might want to consider cancelling and getting the Oasis instead. I have the paperwhite and it's great and all but the pure touch interface gets kinda annoying sometimes when it misinterprets a swipe. Forward/backward buttons are a big convenience that I miss from the earlier iterations.

You can also just press the sides of the page instead of swiping, so those double as backward/forward buttons.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I’ve only had trouble navigating by touch on phone or tablet with one ebook that seemed faulty. On the first page of a chapter if I wasn’t careful it would go to the chapter index.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

less laughter posted:

You can also just press the sides of the page instead of swiping, so those double as backward/forward buttons.

Right but I get thumpy. Big hands, big thumbs, why is it taking a long time to refresh, slap slap slap the screen

I like buttons they're easier to understand

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I have more problems accidentally changing the "time left in chapter/book/location/page number" thing than I do with misinterpreted swipes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
the nook paperwhite lets you turn the page just by tapping the left or right side of the screen

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So does the actual paperwhite :)

B&N is tanking fast, I wouldn’t want to be locked into that system myself.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Everyone has probably read it already, but if you wanted to buy Maus it is on sale on Amazon for 13.50 right now https://www.amazon.com/dp/0679406417?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=cff41224f5d011e7a6b6661e7a0f87950INT

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Its my first real reading device so I didn't want to get something super expensive and not end up really liking it. I been just alternating between ebooks on the ipad and reading hardcopies.

Still waiting for Amazon to get stock so they can ship it..These must have sold really well during the holidays.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Most of their devices spent Black Friday to Christmas on sale.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
This is so clever:

https://twitter.com/all_nations2/status/952169694630264833

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a way to see all your highlights for a certain book instead of going through the book itself?

Other than that as a first time kindle user I am really enjoying this device and reading even more. The dictionary and highlight tool are REALLY useful .

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Three dots on the top right then notes and highlights.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Alright thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

What are some books that are literally too dangerous to handle? I'm thinking of things along the lines of the U of Michigan's Shadows from the Walls of Death, which consists of 86 pages of arsenic-soaked wallpaper samples, or Marie Curie's still-radioactive journals.

e: Shadows is sealed, each individual page is encapsulated, and you can only handle it while wearing gloves. Curie's journals are kept in a lead box, you must wear protective clothing when handling them, and the library makes you sign a liability waiver before they'll let you in.

Atlas Obscura just did a new article on Shadows from the Walls of Death:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/shadows-from-the-walls-of-death-book

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Would it be too specific to start a George Saunders thread?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

alnilam posted:

I mean, we have a bunch of specific author threads. :justpost:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Do it. Plenty of goons have read Lincoln In The Bardo by now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I mean, the worst that can happen is no one posts in it and it gets archived before it hits page 2. Which is also the best that can happen, but writing is a valuable skill and it's good to get some practice in.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Let's all make threads for our favourite obscure authors who have no goodreads reviews.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

K I did it.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm around 20% into the final Wheel of Time book and thought there was a discussion thread for the series but it's been closed for a while now apparently. Are there nerds talking about these books elsewhere?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm around 20% into the final Wheel of Time book and thought there was a discussion thread for the series but it's been closed for a while now apparently. Are there nerds talking about these books elsewhere?

General fantasy thread.or here. Or a new thread.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Or a new thread.

Hieronymous, please

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

me, reading book 2 of heaving breasts in a shift the series by robert jordan: i really need somewhere to discuss this

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

A human heart posted:

me, reading book 2 of heaving breasts in a shift the series by robert jordan: i really need somewhere to discuss this

tugging my braid to this post

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just thought I might have a couple questions when I'm done. Don't need any drawn out discussion, but was disappointed to find the thread closed so I guess I'll have to poo poo up one of these others.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Starting a classic literature course next semester and the first book on the list is Foe by J.M, Coetzee.

I have not read Robinson Crusoe, which I understand this book is based on. Would it be difficult for me to digest without having read Crusoe? Also has anyone here read and enjoyed Foe?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
“Can I get away with not reading a book” is possibly not an awesome question to have friend goon.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I read Robinson Crusoe as a kid. it’s not a difficult book mate. just read it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

And Foe, especially among companion books, is essentially incomprehensible w/out a fairly complete grasp of Crusoe. Like, I'm sure you could sham your way through, but to have your own worthwhile understanding, I'd say reading both is essential
e: and also Moll Flanders.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 15, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am intrigued why the professor would assign Foe and not also Crusoe

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

He wrote his thesis/published a paper on Foe

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Well I mean now that I look back my Caribbean literature class once assigned Windward Heights without assigning Wuthering Heights and Wide Sargasso Sea without Jane Eyre

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am intrigued why the professor would assign Foe and not also Crusoe

As a trap.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

ulvir posted:

I read Robinson Crusoe as a kid. it’s not a difficult book mate. just read it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well I mean now that I look back my Caribbean literature class once assigned Windward Heights without assigning Wuthering Heights and Wide Sargasso Sea without Jane Eyre

That's pretty common. I don't know about Foe but with Sargasso Sea at least you don't necessarily need to have read the prior referent beyond a Wikipedia summary to get the gist of how the new title is reclaiming the narrative.

I also don't particularly relish the four different times I was assigned Wuthering Heights, it's a garbage book for garbage people. I want to blame the Bronte s for Twilight.