Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
what's the name of the guy who secretly wrote a super long, super terrible book series complete with illustrations, only discovered after his death? Google is failing me. I think it was fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

what's the name of the guy who secretly wrote a super long, super terrible book series complete with illustrations, only discovered after his death? Google is failing me. I think it was fantasy

I think you are failing Google. I just pasted "guy who secretly wrote a super long, super terrible book series complete with illustrations, only discovered after his death" into the search bar and hey presto Henry Darger!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think you are failing Google. I just pasted "guy who secretly wrote a super long, super terrible book series complete with illustrations, only discovered after his death" into the search bar and hey presto!

Lmfao, sure enough. I tried all sorts of subsets of all of that info but there he is, first result. Henry Darger. God drat it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

Lmfao, sure enough. I tried all sorts of subsets of all of that info but there he is, first result. Henry Darger. God drat it

Mind you, from my experience, Googling like that is pretty much fifty-sixty. Anyway, I have to say his art is pretty mesmerising.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
drat, that is a pretty heavy story.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Mind you, from my experience, Googling like that is pretty much fifty-sixty. Anyway, I have to say his art is pretty mesmerising.

I think googling for my job has convinced me that anything more than a couple of terms at once never brings back anything. :shobon:

Rand Brittain posted:

drat, that is a pretty heavy story.

It is pretty fascinating. I got linked it at some point here years ago and it's still something I think about.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

I think googling for my job has convinced me that anything more than a couple of terms at once never brings back anything. :shobon:

Googling for work (my work, that is) has taught me that Google is absolutely 100% geared towards people not searching for anything of practical use or importance.

Anyway, I just glanced at the foreword to The Clan of the Cave Bear and the very first sentence itof calls Jean M. Auel a fatty :laffo:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Do we have a poetry thread? Where do I start with poetry if my knowledge is bound to the big names I learned in middle school? I went to a Christian school so my range in authors was stunted at a young age.

Looking for shorter (1 page or less) poetry about love, nature, whatever evokes emotion, but I’m unfamiliar with anything less than a century ago so modern stuff is very welcome.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rolo posted:

Do we have a poetry thread? Where do I start with poetry if my knowledge is bound to the big names I learned in middle school? I went to a Christian school so my range in authors was stunted at a young age.

Looking for shorter (1 page or less) poetry about love, nature, whatever evokes emotion, but I’m unfamiliar with anything less than a century ago so modern stuff is very welcome.

Look for anthologies? Good way to get a sample of a lot of poets at once, and the ones intended for academic use will have good supplementary information.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Look for a Norton anthology

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Real Lit Thread!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dark Mage posted:

How bad? The premise sounds close Stephen King's The Stand.

That post was based on 9% of a very long book and let me tell you, it got a lot better. Some interesting twists and turns, some fun ideas. However, there was far too much cliche nonsense. Some of the characters were complete caricatures. I wouldn't recommend it and I rather wish I hadn't read/paid money for it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

calling In the Realms of the Unreal a 'series' is fairly bizarre.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That post was based on 9% of a very long book and let me tell you, it got a lot better. Some interesting twists and turns, some fun ideas. However, there was far too much cliche nonsense. Some of the characters were complete caricatures. I wouldn't recommend it and I rather wish I hadn't read/paid money for it.

It actually got better but still ended up ducking? That's a shame. That book is a hefty time investment.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Antivehicular posted:

Look for anthologies? Good way to get a sample of a lot of poets at once, and the ones intended for academic use will have good supplementary information.

regulargonzalez posted:

Look for a Norton anthology

Wow these are expensive. I can rent one from Amazon for 20 bucks.

Edit: oh is this considered a textbook?

Edit2: it’s over 2300 pages holy cow.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 24, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

calling In the Realms of the Unreal a 'series' is fairly bizarre.

drat, if only I had admitted not even remembering the name of it, this embarrassing mistake could have been avoided

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dark Mage posted:

It actually got better but still ended up ducking? That's a shame. That book is a hefty time investment.

It's so nothing that it just clips by, though. Some books have high page counts but can be easily chugged. Sort of like a obscene flagon of extremely light beer.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

The Voice That Is Great Within Us is a solid anthology for American poets.

A brief search on BetterWorldBooks shows some Norton Anthologies of poetry starting at $5. Link 1 2. Modern 3. Post-modern

I've bought copies of Kenneth Koch's "Making Your Own Days" as gifts for friends a couple of times. It's written for both people interested in learning about poetry for reading or for writing, and the 2nd half is a solid little anthology with annotations to help guide readers into some things to look at. Also about $5 on BWB.

If you like podcasts, listen to Michael Silverblatt's Bookworm (using the KCRW app has all of the backlog from the past few decades for free), and just pick a random episode with a poet guest. They'll read some of their poems, they'll talk about poems and poets they like, and it's casual and informative. The New Yorker Poetry Podcast is also good for this. A poet comes on and reads a poem they wrote and a poem they admire, and they discuss it.

Posters could list poets they like, but it'd just be like them naming favorite bands. You might like some, you might not like others. Specifically poetry about nature, I'd say "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek" by Annie Dillard, "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman, W.H. Auden, Wallace Stevens, and some John Ashbery.

I re-read my Oxford World's Classics copy of Les Fleur du Mal by Charles Baudelaire often. The left side is always the original French and the right side is McGowan's translation in English.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 24, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

They're so, so good, I've had some from my community college classes and they become all I read in my free time during those semesters. Not just the works themselves but essays, biographies, etc.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Rolo posted:

Check local used bookstores, that's where all my Norton anthologies were acquired.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Check local used bookstores, that's where all my Norton anthologies were acquired.

Thrift stores close to a college campus, too, if that's an option.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
We have a university in my town so I'll call around and find a used one.

All these posts are gold and what I was hoping for.

Edit1: Even the used market here is nuts. Got the Norton one for 6 bucks shipped thanks to Franchescanado's links, thank you! Also ordered bought The Voice that is Great Within Us from a local joint run by the sweetest lady and her cats.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 24, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rolo posted:

e e cummings is still my favorite poet. Some of his stuff is straight up nonsense but some of it just HITS and completely captures the human condition

... damnit now I'm sad that my book of his complete poems is back at my folk's place and not here. I don't recall the title of my favorite poem. :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

Yes, we do have a poetry thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851808

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

Literally the only love poem I remember (not the whole poem, just that it existed, I just found it via Google [which isn't hard to do when you remember the title of the poem :D]):

Jenny Kiss’d Me
by Leigh Hunt

Jenny kiss’d me when we met,
Jumping from the chair she sat in;
Time, you thief, who love to get
Sweets into your list, put that in!
Say I’m weary, say I’m sad,
Say that health and wealth have miss’d me,
Say I’m growing old, but add,
Jenny kiss’d me.

You can say it's hopelessly twee but it's a loving love poem so :shrug:

e: actually, it might not even be a love poem. I don't know who Jenny is.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 24, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

StrixNebulosa posted:

e e cummings is still my favorite poet.
E. E. Cummings never wrote his name that way.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone read the Accursed Kings series? I've just finished the first three and enjoyed them quite a lot.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Do the Clan of the Cave Bear Earth's Children novels' stories get any less extremely predictable? Because if not I'll just put the rest at the bottom of the pile and read something else after I finish this first one. Maybe something high-brow like Tarzan.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

drat, if only I had admitted not even remembering the name of it, this embarrassing mistake could have been avoided

I mean it's a bit odd to call a celebrated outsider artist's insanely long novel scrawled on sheets of paper a series, it's not like he was writing for publication.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A human heart posted:

I mean it's a bit odd to call a celebrated outsider artist's insanely long novel scrawled on sheets of paper a series, it's not like he was writing for publication.

If it makes you feel any better, I also wouldn't call it a series now that I remember it was an insanely long novel scrawled on sheets of paper.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jun 25, 2021

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

One of the best examples of outsider art novels I’d ever seen was a manuscript submitted to the media company I used to work for. The company didn’t publish books and didn’t accept manuscripts, but somehow we got one in the mail. My boss asked me to take a look and see what it was about. It was, possibly, a spy novel, featuring a character that was supposed to be a version of James Bond. However, it was several hundred pages of that character lounging by the pool and reminiscing on his past successes in espionage and womanizing. None of the successes were ever described in detail nor were there any flashback scenes. Just a dude going in his head “yeah, that time I saved the Queen of England from the Russian assassin and screwed her niece was amazing” and skipping to the next, equally dumb thought. Like a moron’s Tristram Shandy. But there was a certain disturbing quality to the text, something hypnotic. Still unsure whether I chucked a future classic in the bin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

One of the best examples of outsider art novels I’d ever seen was a manuscript submitted to the media company I used to work for. The company didn’t publish books and didn’t accept manuscripts, but somehow we got one in the mail. My boss asked me to take a look and see what it was about. It was, possibly, a spy novel, featuring a character that was supposed to be a version of James Bond. However, it was several hundred pages of that character lounging by the pool and reminiscing on his past successes in espionage and womanizing. None of the successes were ever described in detail nor were there any flashback scenes. Just a dude going in his head “yeah, that time I saved the Queen of England from the Russian assassin and screwed her niece was amazing” and skipping to the next, equally dumb thought. Like a moron’s Tristram Shandy. But there was a certain disturbing quality to the text, something hypnotic. Still unsure whether I chucked a future classic in the bin.

should have saved a couple pages, that sounds amazing

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

a moron’s Tristram Shandy.
Hell of a username right there.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I deeply regret not being able to read this novel

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1409155797486030850?s=20

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh cool there’s a book of the month thread?

And it’s the thread stickied to the top where I should have seen it years ago?!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rolo posted:

Oh cool there’s a book of the month thread?

And it’s the thread stickied to the top where I should have seen it years ago?!

Every month it changes!

Good news: you can go back through the list of previous BOTM's linked at the top of each thread for a hand-picked selection of Good Books!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I'm voting #5 - Rebecca. Cause I just finished it and want to talk to someone about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Im posting here because its a very weird request. Im looking for an english translation of Juan De Mariana's De Rege et Regis Institutione Libri tres. While I can find it in latin and spanish finding an english translation is a little harder. I dotn mind paying for a irl edition/ebook.