Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What are people's opinions about Scribd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There is Roman mythology fanfiction, like Lucian of Samosata's Dialogues of the Gods or Dialogues of the Dead. They are very awesome and cool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Fenrir posted:

I know it's kinda old and kinda ... well, okay it's basically the dime candy of the fantasy world, but would anyone be interested in some Dragonlance chat? I wouldn't mind making a thread about the series, but it just feels like it would be pointless if I'd be the only one posting in it.

I just re-read all the main series books (the 11 that Weis & Hickman wrote) and most of it's fresh in my mind now. Also, Death Gate Cycle? Those were probably better, but the ending probably ruined a lot of people on it :negative:

I read all of the main "Dragons Of" books when I was younger, and a lot of the smaller ones, too. What are your thoughts? What are the "main series books"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How do you pronounce Andre Dubus III?

One of his stories ruined my life the other day and I've struggled to describe it to people because I don't know how to pronounce the author's name.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Wikipedia yo: His surname is pronounced "Duh-BYOOSE", with the accent falling on the second syllable, as in "profuse".

I would probably write "d'abuse but without the a"

Thank you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

blue squares posted:

Yeah, look at the Bible

Or "Homer".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I read all of Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict books, and all the Long Earth books, and now I'm starting on The Expanse. Are they a good addition to my downward spiral of series binges?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

They are rather readable and the plot keeps moving forward in every chapter. Some people dislike the genre hopping (book four is pretty much a western in space) and there is no depth, characterization nor elegant prose but if you could handle McDevitt, you'll be fine.

Okay I read the first two and wow, the world building is terrible, everybody talks exactly the same way, and the authors really, really, really hate people in their late teens or early 20's.

I guess I'm invested now, though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Yiddish Policemen's Union is good alt-history.

1. It isn't shlocky
2. It isn't advancing an agenda
3. It creates a world that feels lived-in and real
4. It's actually well written

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Do not read S M Stirling anything ever ever ever.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I feel like writing what ifs are explicitly contrarian to the purpose of a historian

Most histories are what ifs because it's actually kind of hard to pinpoint exactly what happened in the past and you have to make educated guesses most of the time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When the main character of a book is an author, and they're writing a book, and there are big excerpts from the fake book, make one of those the book of the month.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I meant only the fake book itself: i.e read only the excerpts from the fake book and not the novel around it. And review and discuss it like it's real.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

can't wait to do a botm on the navidson record

This guy gets it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How many books on Goodreads are actually rated less than 3??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

i know at least 5 :hehe:

Out of all the books ever written ever?? Those five must be awful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The opposite of all those rich scientists in the novels of the era was Griffin, the Invisible Man. He's a super scientist whose one constant problem is lack of money. It's the basis of that entire novel and continuously running out of money is what drives every beat of the story.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Robot Wendigo posted:

Let's only talk about serious things from serious books like Harry Dresden

I never read Harry Potter when it first came out in the US because I was 12 and reading much more serious literature like Piers Anthony novels.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't think I've ever felt more shame about reading anything, not Goosebumps, not Animorphs, not Star Wars novels, not a million Harry Turtledove potboilers, not The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis. 10-13 year old boys have bad taste is my only defence.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

"No Piers Anthony" seems a simple solution.

This is a good rule. And I'm sorry for bringing him up and starting this because I wanted to make a dumb self deprecating joke about my teenage self being a goober.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So you're reading horror short stories and listening to horror podcasts.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

When I was a little boy if I was really overwhelmed with curiosity about the ending of a book, I'd allow myself to read the last page and only the last page. If I could glean some spoilers from that, good for me. If not, tough poo poo. It's a good system!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Reading only the very last page yields, like I said, mixed results. It's different than reading lots of pages or the last chapter or something. It doesn't ruin every mystery!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Marlovian theory is most romantic theory.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Foundryside is pretty good so far.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Has anyone read the Drenai series? Somebody told me I should read it and it sounds awful. Is it awful or good? Can anybody tell me more about it without spoilers?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

pikachode posted:

happy valentines day

For reading today, I recommend the greatest love story ever written: Norman Mailer's The Executioner's Song.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thanks for the responses about the Drenai series.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm reading Breakfast of Champions, and is nobody feeding Kilgore Trout's bird while he's on his adventure?? I'm up to the part where he's with the trucker going through Philadelphia. I remember the scene where he offers to let the bird go out the window and the bird chooses its cage instead but that's it. hosed up to let your bird starve.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

There are some problems with Shogun.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just finished Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds. drat it was nice to read some sci-fi that wasn't a turgid bloated potboiler book 6 of a 9 book series. Century Rain is refreshing in its energy and its weirdness and how it doesn't hold your hand at all. Has anyone else read it?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My favorite recent Western novel is Days Without End. Anyone else read that one?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I used to use the service TuneIn for audio books around 3 years ago. I was definitely subscribed to it for at least a year. Today I decided to re-up my subscription, which was $10 for a month. I downloaded the app and couldn't find audiobooks anywhere on it at all! Googled the issue and whoops they pulled all the audiobooks off the service in January of 2018. Now I feel like a sucker and they've got my money. Unless you can't see, just stick to READING your books with the eyes God gave you is I guess the lesson.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Are you reading that book series with the native American werewolf lady? Those have some ridiculous covers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nope, not yet. I'm reading Nalini Singh.

Speak of the devil though, I was looking at starting Patricia Brigg's series soon.

I haven't read the Mercy Thompson series, I just know about it because somebody once told me about the premise and I had to decide if I thought that was a real thing or made up and I chose fake and there was money involved and I'm still a little bitter about it. Of course it's real!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

escape artist posted:

is there a historical fiction thread?

I demand somebody tell me why all the weird sex stuff in Aztec is necessary!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thomas Pynchon is definitely pretentious. And he's written a bunch of real big books for added visual effect!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Have Finnegans Wake on your desk and pushily read it to him.

Ask the person to pick any part in Finnegans Wake for you to start reading because it's circular.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

excellent bird guy posted:

Right now I'm reading Redwall. It's a series I really liked at 10 years old, the first 'serious' series I ever got in to. I'm impressed with the big vocabulary, it' not dumbed-down or condescending like what I think of as being children's literature.

How do you feel about this old epistolary comedy article from humor website Something Awful?

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/bargain-book-bin-3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

TheAardvark posted:

I'm pissed, my Kindle just asked if I wanted to turn on word learning mode for kids because I clicked on the word "nacreous"

Thanks you just reminded me of the lyrics of To Anacreon in Heaven.