Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

People might say Jon Franzen is a dick, but along with my copy of Purity came a ticket to his book signing and he has agreed to sign up to three of his previous titles. That's awesome of him and I will be able to get Freedom and Corrections signed along with Purity. Clearly he appreciates his fans.

I dare you to ask him to sign your Kindle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Purity still looks really bad btw

I think Franzen can be a genius when dealing with the anxieties of his own generation but beyond that he seems a little too "kids these days!"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Considering most books take me 3-5 days I do not usually need to read more than one at a time

I tried experimenting with it at one point but it never really clicked for me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Man I just read about the new Twilight book and I cannot believe it isn't a joke

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I for one admire a dude willing to read poo poo in order to report back and give the rest of us something to make fun of.

But legit dude you read the Twilight remake and took notes and what the hell.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Still doesn't explain how he knew what parts of the original book to compare it to :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oon the ferst dey Gerd sed ledder be light

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

'let their be light.'

I hereby banish you from Book Barn

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

That's also not how it goes

As I've said before I don't really know a lot about fantasy novels

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That joke was sponsored by fifteen year old me

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I really like my e-reader because new hardcovers are 10-20 dollars cheaper hth

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

My only concern with e-readers is that i have a nook instead of a kindle and if BN's digital division goes under I need to convert those files and store them before I get hit by license fuckery

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is it worth sticking with Nook or should I abandon ship soon?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Depends on what you mean by soon. B&N has been dying its slow death for a while, I predict they will not last out the decade but most likely result is Nook and related properties being acquired by someone else, Microsoft or Apple or even Amazon, in which case it still wouldn't be entirely useless and there will probably be some sort of conversion process.

Yeah basically I have no problem riding it out, I just don't want to keep buying books with the real chance they may become ether in a few years

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Personally I cannot stand ebooks, I just can't focus on them. I solve the storage problem with paper books by constantly giving books to other people. Unless it's some sort of rare edition or something I'll use for reference in the longterm.

Its more price for me. I buy between 30-40 new books a year and the e-reader to hardcover difference is literally hundreds of dollars.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

I solve this problem by checking new books out from the library if they're available or waiting until books are in paperback or eReaderIQ tells me that the Kindle version has dropped in price. I think I've bought like 2 just-released hardcovers in the last 5 years.

Well sure but if your goal is to read contemporary books tabula rasa it's not a very effective strategy

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

I'm just saying that reading new books unspoiled can be done without dropping crazy money on new hardcovers.

Which is why I said I buy e-books?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Yeah but I also want to support literary fiction financially and have the book in my permanent possession.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Holy poo poo guys, I like buying books ok. I have no idea why that is setting all of you off so hard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Weird that boasting about pointless displays of wealth makes people dislike you.

I said I like my e-reader because I can buy new books a lot cheaper. How is that boasting about wealth?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Why are you people responding to him like he wasn't absolutely loving with you

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I will be staying warm thanks to my copious collection of books I have haphazardly laying around my floor during the postapoclyptic end days while you guys can enjoy choking on the fumes of burning plastic and electronics

You are gonna break your glasses lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

Mel have you read City on Fire yet? I just got it from Half Price Books for $14

I have it but it's on the backlog. I am gonna try to power through it and A Little Life during Christmas.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

City on Fire, so far, is extremely good.

Saving it for break but glad to hear it

Doing Tram 83 right now which is also p. good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Stop being a loving child and read some real literature" is the thread you want.

It's the other one right now

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A moveable feast

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

This isn't really true and this kind of "actual reader" nonsense is dumb. Lots of people who enjoy reading lots of books also enjoy discussing them with other people. This is why things like book clubs and literature classes exist and are popular. You may not be one of them, but you are not the only type of "actual reader" that exists.

You certainly seem to spend a lot of time posting about TV shows. Doesn't that take away from your "actual reading" time just as much as discussing books would?

you have a weird habit of going after people's post histories in arguments bro

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I never read the annotations and I never will and I do not at all feel bad about that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

So edgy intentionally missing out on a huge chunk of the story

I am not gonna stop every few sentences to turn 900 pages to the back of the book to find the right annotation

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

I have one word for you: two bookmarks

it still breaks up the flow.

When I read I get into a deep state of flow and if I have to break it to keep flipping back and forth I am gonna have an unpleasant experience and its also going to take loving forever to finish

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

My book, my way.

Yes this is actually exactly how it works and has always worked

Tell you what, go read Hopscotch by Cortazar the way "the author intended"

I will wait.

EDIT: Also lol, I am missing out on "world building." Oh no, not WORLD BUILDING.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 4, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oopsie rock posted:

Read House of Leaves! Sounds right up your alley! You'll LOVE IT.

whoa House of Leaves I haven't heard of that can I get Amazon to deliver it to the rock I am clearly living under

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

buy a deck of cards

52 durable bookmarks for cheap

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

DirtyRobot posted:

It sounds like by purchasing those precise books you intercepted coded messages between spies.

Isn't that more or less the plot to Mr. Penumbra

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

So this is a thing, apparently: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Cursed_Child
My question is: why? The story had reached a nice conclusion, and she's certainly not hurting for money considering that at one point she was the richest person in the UK. Why create this?

Because she can do whatever the gently caress she wants

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Putty posted:

What the hell was up with Animorphs? Animorphs was weird.

Animorphs was cool until the lady and her army of ghostwriters decided she was writing serious fiction instead of kids being animals and that being cool as gently caress.

I remember googling the ending of the series and finding out it ends with all of them depressed and destroyed and killing themselves in a final sacrifice against an unstoppable alien menace

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

It seems like the solution is to buy and read good sci-fi fantasy books written by non-whites and non-Europenas, and tell people about them and encourage people to buy and read those books.

Sometimes it can be hard to tell if a writer is white or not tho. If there's no author picture on the dust cover you just have to guess

Is it a fantasy novel?

It's a white guy.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

Plenty of white women in fantasy.

yeah they are the healers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

open new tab

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Author

ctrl-F "Foucault"

1/5 result

Close tab

Nope, I don't loving care.

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha look at this stupid fucker right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Death of the Author is amazing because its a crazy simple concept but 70% of people misinterpret its meaning because they never actually read the six page article or they skimmed wikipedia

EDIT: Like Pleasure of the Text is a fundamentally difficult concept to understand. Death of the Author is simple.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 15, 2016