Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm a duel POV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

value-brand cereal posted:

I kinda disagree. that's what reading the summary is for. But the loving problem is the summaries are often vague garbage or simply dont exist anymore. A lot of books just have author or review blurbs on the back, which is complete bullshit. I dont care that gaiman or king blurbed Random Authors debut novel, tell me what the plot is about!!!

Hell sometimes for epubs they're cut off and I have to get calibre to redownload the whole drat thing.

I really, really, really hate how many book summaries now are just something like "Fans of [some author] and [some other author] will love this" followed by just a vague hint at what the book is actually about because the references to other authors or works are meant to stand in for any kind of summary.

Often I don't recognise the references, but even if I do, it just puts me off reading the book entirely.

I guess it's good marketing for people who just mash "books similar to X" into a search bar, but it seems like a terrible way to get new readers to try out an author.

It feels related to the whole trope obsession in a way where I guess some people want to know exactly what they're getting before they read the book. It's a bummer because some of my best reads have been random goon recs that I definitely wouldn't have picked up myself. I have times I just want a specific sort of book, but there's a lot to be said for trying something new periodically.