Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Jesus Christ, it's taken me months to realize that this is the Book Bam and not the Book Barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Goodreads is having a bug where it won't show the reviews of people I follow. This happen to anyone else?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
No, it's only a problem on the pages of specific books where both friends and followed people have reviews posted.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Is it weird that I prefer to measure books' lengths in terms of Kindle's "location" statistic?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any articles talking candidly about what it's like being an audiobook narrator?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Clicking on amazon pages for books in google search always results in "Sorry! Page Not Found."

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't know where to post thoughts on the book I'm currently reading if it doesn't fit into any of the big threads. Posting in "What did you just finish?" seems dishonest.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I wish I'd gotten further into David Copperfield.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Thinking of finding a place to sell my books other than ebay - is it possible to make sales on Amazon if you're not one of the established resellers?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
LibraryThing has much less clueless recommendation algorithm than GR.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't find reading ebooks on my phone to be too unbearable, apart from the risk of draining the battery.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/lets-read-watch-on-the-rhine-by-tom-kratman.52407/

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm so used to idealization of various native American peoples from a left-wing communalist perspective that seeing the right-wing individualist version surprises me.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Just me, or has Amazon severely limited their look inside availability?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Sorry my vote kept it that way.

MisterBear posted:

Is there an existing thread for Military/War novels? If not, does anyone have some recommendations for decent books in the genre? Ideally naval, WW2 onwards, well written and on the realistic side.

It's been a few weeks but I've been quite enjoying Bomber by Len Deighton, which tells the story of a single bombing raid on June 31, 1943.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Marooned! On Mars with Matt and Hillary is two professors chilling and talking about science fiction, mostly Kim Stanley Robinson's books but also various movies they've been watching.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I use the site to see the reads of the few dozen people whose taste I find interesting.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Speaking of Proust, I recently came across the argument that Shelby Foote was America's greatest admirer of Proust, and that his Civil War trilogy made copious application of Proust's techniques onto the telling of history. That sure puts it in a curious light.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was under the impression that "crypto-Jew" was probably already a part of the anti-semitic lexicon.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
My ability to follow what I read often has more to do with my mental state than the qualities of the text itself.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I was one of those people who dropped out in Rome, knowing that revenge would be hundreds of pages away.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Google has become aggressively unwilling to pull up the Goodreads pages for books as results.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm reading An Immense World: How Animal Senses Reveal the Hidden Realms Around Us, and the first chapter is about dogs and their smelling. It's an interesting reading experience because I already have a rather weak sense of smell - so it's totally out of my experience when people describe smelling the body odor of people standing near them, or even flowers and perfumes. So they are to me what dogs are to everyone.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

mellonbread posted:

The nice thing about New Sun is it doesn't require you to solve all the mysteries to have fun. It's not like Fifth Head where you have to figure out the puzzle in order to enjoy it. It can just be a dark fantasy adventure story about a hosed up guy in a hosed up future.

I don't really have any clue about the deeper things going on in Fifth Head and I enjoyed it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The Island of Doctor Moreau is reminding me more of Heart of Darkness than I was expecting.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 19, 2023

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It’s maybe the Hugo winner that’s suffered most with reappraisal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
LibraryThing and StoryGraph are better features-wise, but GoodReads has the larger userbase.