Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wedemeyer posted:

Is there a website or something better the google to find pictures/scans of book covers? Like not just first editions, but later covers? I'm trying to find all my old books, but it's tricky since most of them have changed to a clone of Bella and Edward on the cover.

https://www.librarything.com allows for users to upload cover images and, provided you aren't talking about something that has had literally thousands of covers (I'm looking at you, Huck Finn), you're pretty likely to find the one you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I just put things on a shelf in whatever order looks nicest, though I do group all of a given author's work together.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

In all seriousness, just hit up goodwill or the salvation army for a used bookshelf. I don't see the point in dropping $60 on something new when you can pick up a used one for a third of the price.

Yeah but if everyone took this advice, there wouldn't be any furniture in the used stores.

Also, some people like buying new stuff. I'd much rather spend the extra money to get a nice set of new bookshelves, but then I'm at the point in my life where I'm a homeowner and I'm trying to move away from the bachelor lifestyle.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

rasser posted:

I'll stop derailing and ask a question instead: How do you BB goons deal with the loneliness of your literaty taste, which I believe must be common for most of us?

Several of my friends are interested in the same genres as me, but I'm the only one that spends the time to discover new authors. It's a continuous game of catch-up if I want to discuss anything I've read with them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

angrylinuxgeek posted:

The book I really want signed is a paperback. Is getting a paperback book signed a bad idea? Will people glare at me?

Nobody cares what sort of book you bring to get signed so long as it is somehow tied to the person doing the signing.

That said, I silently judge people that bring paperbacks (unless paperback is the only edition) because I'm kind of a dick.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chamberk posted:

So, is anyone looking forward to books in the new year?

Besides the previously mentioned Wise Man's Fear and Ghost Story, I'm also looking forward to The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie, Ashes of a Black Forest by Chris Evans, and the new edition of Grimscribe: His Lives and Works by Thomas Ligotti.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Let The Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist.

Changed my post to that because it is a better idea.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 22, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quad posted:

I'm going on vacation in a few weeks, and plan on powering through as much of Mission Earth by L. Ron Hubbard as I can in a cabin in Wisconsin. My summer read will scar me for life.

A friend bet me $100 + the cost of the books that I couldn't read all of the Gor books before Dragon Con. There's a stack of them sitting about six feet from me. Let's compare scars in September :shepicide:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

Anybody doing a big summer read? I'm thinking when I get some time, I'm going to finally start on Fielding's Tom Jones.

A friend bet me I couldn't read all of the Gor books (or rather, the first 26) before Dragon*Con, so there's that for me. I am not particularly proud of it.

:ninja: Err...I actually posted about that on the last page...

:shepicide:

:shepicide:

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 23, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Popular Human posted:

:wtc: I had no idea there were so many of those loving things. Who buys that poo poo? Other than you, of course.

That's not even all of them, just the ones you can find without the naked woman on the cover (just look up one of the titles on Amazon to see what I mean).

I think the biggest crime with this poo poo is that Norman is actually a pretty good writer; he has a ton of great ideas and is incredibly descriptive. He just lets that get buried in increasingly long diatribes that have absolutely no bearing on the plot and are full of crazy. From what I can gather, if you ignore the crazy, you go from skipping a handful paragraphs in the first few books to hundreds and hundreds of pages (per book) by the end of the series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hey guys did you know that a woman can only truly be a woman when she is mastered by a man?

Only 20 more books to go! :smithicide:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Florida Betty posted:

What are you getting if you win the bet? It'd better be something pretty nice.

$175 ($100 bet + my half of the cost of the books back) and my friend has to prominently display the series in his living room for six months. It goes the other way if I lose.

As you can see, I cannot allow myself to lose.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

polyfractal posted:

How much would someone have to pay you to write a review for a book you just read? In exchange for getting the book for free? For $5? $10? $20? Screw that noise, you hate writing reviews?

The reviews wouldn't have to be essays, perhaps a paragraph or two.

Unless you're writing the review for a major publication, you shouldn't get anything for your review beyond, perhaps, the free review copy of the book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm putting most of :qq: MY BOOKS :qq: into storage, most likely for 1-2 years while I'm overseas. The idea being that once I'm done in Japan and have figured out where I'm going to settle down more permanently, I'll throw them and some other stuff into a moving truck (or shipping container) and have it sent to wherever it is I'm finally putting down roots. I've got them off the shelves and am packing them into empty liquor boxes, which are loving awesome for this purpose (both in dimensions and durability, plus free).

I'm *hoping* my parents will continue to have a ton of space in their climate-controlled empty nest in Florida, but there's a possibility they'll be moving into a smaller condo while I'm away, and the boxes might go into a regular storage unit at that point. What is the best way to keep them from getting lovely? Should I buy one of those big ol' rolls of Saran wrap and seal them up, or would that potentially create its own problem? Nothing is particularly valuable, but it'd be a few hundred dollars to buy them again even second hand, and some of them have some sentimental value.

So long as you can keep them in a climate-controlled space, you should be fine just boxing them up (though it couldn't hurt to have some pest control measures). But if your folks move and just toss the boxes into Joes Super Storage or something... Well, they're in Florida. Start saving up to rebuy all your books.

Saran wrap might work, but I don't know. Actually you may want to look in to some of those vacuum bag things that you hook up to vacuum cleaner.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

By the way, why doesn't Amazon have to tax their merchandise?

This is a very hot political issue in a lot of states. Basically they're passing that task on to their customers, but almost no one actually reports purchases from Amazon on their taxes, so states are missing a fair chunk of revenue.

The issue is that whenever a state tries to force Amazon to charge sales tax, Amazon just packs up and moves their distribution centers to another state. Eventually they'll be forced to tax everyone, but not until there are more states requiring it than not.

quote:

That's a pretty lovely sale for a chain of stores that's closing.

This is how it goes for any major chain that goes out of business. They reset their pricing to MSRP, then take a percentage off of that. You won't find a good deal until the last few days they're open, but by then anything worthwhile will be gone because a staggering amount of people will overpay for books and DVDs simply because there's a sign saying "Store Closing Everything Must Go!"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Wulfolme posted:

inky smudges

This reminds me of the poo poo dye that was used to color the binding for Wolves of the Calla. That poo poo gets everywhere when you read the book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's far from an apex, it just means they're doing pretty steady business at that level so there's no need to bump up the discount just yet. We will eventually see 80% or more off, if only for a day or two.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Barnes and Noble sells a pretty nice and reasonably priced collection of all of his work. I think it's just called H.P. Lovecraft: The Complete Fiction.

Edit: Well, either I got it when it was on sale or it's just cheaper in Barnes and Noble itself. Here it is on Amazon, though.

They're selling a newer version of this in-store, with that fake leather binding. It's $20 or $25.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

It's really cool the book of the month club is literally about books that nobody wants to read. What's October's category? In-Flight Magazines?

What part of "awful" don't you understand?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It's called the "Awful Book of the Month" not the "Something Awful Book of the Month." If you're upset or confused, it's your own fault for not reading A) the thread title and B) the second sentence in the OP ("In the Awful Book of the Month, we choose one work of literature utter crap and read it over a month. If we can finish it at all.").

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Radio! posted:

Speaking of Zelazny, I recently discovered that I own a signed paperback copy of Nine Princes in Amber (hooray used books!). But because I am a horrible person with negative dollars in my bank account, I want to look into selling it. Does anyone know how to find what the average price of such a thing would be? I trolled ebay for a bit but the price range was just ridiculous.

I hope it is okay if I ask this here!

I hate to poo poo on your dreams, but it's probably not worth a lot, unfortunately. The first and major strike is that it's a paperback, which means it's most definitely not a first edition (since that was hardcover and is stupidly rare). Next, since, again, it's a paperback, came from a used book store, and is at least 16 years old, I'm guessing it's not in great condition.

Zelazny is popular, but he never attained the level where his signature alone commands high prices, regardless of what it's on. You need the signature on a first edition in fine condition to start raking in real money. I imagine if you could find a sucker, you could get $20 out of him - a collector probably wouldn't pay more than five to ten.

For reference, the lowest-priced signed item on eBay is a PBO of Bridge of Ashes, and it's only going for $20. Granted, that isn't as popular a title as anything Amber, but even signed Amber hardcovers are going for less than $50 until you get into the limited edition stuff (and you're paying for that as much as the signature with those).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Radio! posted:

That's about what I figured. My friend is a huge Zelazny fan and offered to buy it immediately, so I didn't want to be a jerk and ask for a stupid amount of money. Thanks, though!

It was still a pretty cool thing to find. :)

Yeah, it's always nice to find little surprises like that. About ten years ago I picked up a cheap paperback copy of Damon Knight's The World and Thorinn to replace a copy I lost. About a year and a half ago I was entering stuff into LibraryThing and discovered that cheap paperback was signed by Knight. Not really worth much, but a very cool item to have.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Admiral Ballsack posted:

:filez:

You may want to reconsider this request.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I liked the Secret Service Vampire series. It's 2 books long, but they are both pretty good with the main character being a vampire who basically eats people and wrecks poo poo.

Christopher Farnsworth is the author, and the first book is Blood Oath.

It sounds retarded as poo poo, but it's actually a pretty great series.

I agree with your recommendation, but you're off a bit in your description; Cade doesn't eat people, it's a major plot point in both books.

And apparently the third book is wrapped up and just awaiting dust jacket art, so it'll be out (probably) early next year.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 8, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Anyone know where I can find some Thomas Ligotti without paying an arm & a leg? I've bought the Teatro Grottesco and My Work Is Not Yet Done collections off of Amazon because they were both fairly cheap. Just about all of his other works seem to be in the $80 and up range.

It's not due out until mid-2012, but the SubtPress edition of Noctuary is up for preorder at Amazon.

If you want to find any of the other books for cheap, you're going to need to check eBay daily. Here are two I found tonight:

Grimscrsibe paperback (there are several of these in the same price range, actually)

Noctuary HC

I should point out that there are some you just aren't going to find cheap. The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales and Death Poems, as well as anything he's done with Current 93, aren't even worth looking for if your budget isn't defined as "large".

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I'll just trawl Ebay for the time being and perhaps reserve the higher-priced tomes as special occasion purchases.

Welcome to my world. Far too much quality horror/weird fiction exists only in the realm of the independent publishers and their tiny print runs :(.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

Merry Christmas, all. Anybody get books this year?

I got My Own Private Spectres by Jean Ray.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Unless there's a recent reprint I don't know about, I am guessing you got the 1999 limited run, in which case, drat, nice.

Yep, it's the 1999 edition; it took the better part of two years for my finances to line up with an available copy. The only English-language Jean Ray book I'm missing now is Ghouls in My Grave and gently caress paying $100+ for a fifty-year-old paperback; I know copies have sold for as little as ten bucks, so it's mostly just a waiting game on that one.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone know a good place to start with Charles Stross's material? Should I go Rule 34, Glasshouse, Saturn's Children, or something else entirely?

The Atrocity Archives would be my recommendation. You could also start with one of his short story collections to get a kind of overview of how he writes different genres.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

CornHolio posted:

I want a set of really nice-looking bookcases to hold these. Where the heck would I find something?

You have three good options here.

1.) Build them yourself. Obviously only do this if you know what you're doing.

2.) Visit a furniture store. You say you're willing to spend some money, and places like Basset, Ashley, Haverty's, and so on will be more than happy to help you with that. They have some pretty fancy book cases, but they can get pricey very, very quickly.

3.) Visit an unfinished wood store. These may be called something else in your area, but basically it is a store that will build you stuff to your specifications - essentially you're paying someone else to perform option 1. This is my recommendation because you're going to get exactly what you want. I find that bookshelves bought from furniture stores are often way too deep - there's no need for a shelf to be 24" deep when 99% of hardbacks are only about nine inches. Having your shelves custom-built also allows you to incorporate wild poo poo like UV-blocking glass and whatnot.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Joramun posted:

4.) Burn them all and get a Kindle. Biggest space-saver ever.

Nowhere in his post did he mention anything about space-saving. Some people like to have large collections of books and show them off :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've never seen a website with a good recommendation system. Your best bet is to find people that have read the same books as you and have rated them similarly, then see what else they've read.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

You can get a free ebook from Chizine right now if go you here and follow the instructions. They publish horror and weird fiction.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'd like Good Reads a lot more if every self-published "writer" with a fantasy or horror novel would quit trying to friend me. Yes, I have a passing acquaintance with a few competent writers. No, I won't read your book and recommend it to them.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Heath posted:

Creased spines bother the poo poo out of at least a few people I know, and I'm curious what your opinions are about it?

I've drat near mastered the art of reading paperbacks without creasing the spine at all, provided they aren't too terribly thick. That said, I generally don't care if a paperback is creased to hell because to me, it's a reading copy; it's meant to be abused.

The one exception I make is for paperback originals - first edition/first printings that were in paperback format rather than hardcover (the first six Dresden Files books, for example, had PBOs). However, such concerns are pretty squarely in the realm of collecting, and not a lot of people care too much about that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I thought the point of mass market paperbacks is that they're cheap and essentially disposable. If you want a durable book, buy a hardcover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

futile posted:

Well they're also cheaper*. There's nothing wrong with wanting to buy a cheap paperback and keep the book in decent shape beyond a first reading. Plus it's a nuisance to read a book when the cover and pages are tearing off, bent, and dirty.

I guess it depends on how cheap we're talking here. If you're paying full price for paperbacks, you'd really be better served making the switch to eBooks. If you're getting them for a quarter a piece at Goodwill, then you could probably just buy another copy for the same price as any sort of protector.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

A used bookstore that doesn't accept hardcovers is a fairly new concept to me. All the local ones that I visit only stipulate that you need to have a dust jacket, but the last time I was up in DC every one I went to only accepted paperbacks or big-name new releases in hardcover. That largely defeated the purpose of me going since I like to look for those rare finds that the bookstores don't know they have, and those are almost always hardcovers :v:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It helps to skip every other chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Pick posted:

Does anyone know the rules for book copyright pre-1978? I want to share some scans from a kid's book from the early 50s (which hasn't been re-printed since) but I know TBB has an anti-:filez: rule.

You'd have to PM a mod to get the specific rules for the forums, but here's how the law goes:

quote:

In the United States, all books and other works published before 1923 have expired copyrights and are in the public domain. In addition, works published before 1964 that did not have their copyrights renewed 28 years after first publication year also are in the public domain, except that books originally published outside the US by non-Americans are exempt from this requirement, if they are still under copyright in their home country.

So there's probably a decent chance that book is in the public domain.