Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

PBCrunch posted:

I posted this in the what you finished thread but it got kind of lost in there I think. I'll post it here since this book has been mentioned in a number of threads in this forum.

I just finished up Blindsight by Peter Watts and I was pretty confused through pretty much the whole thing. The plot was hard to follow, the characters were all severely unlikeable and it was hard to follow their motivations.

Is this what happened?
They took their ship to a small but very dense planet past the edge of the known solar system. The ship's AI was controlling the "vampire" the whole time. The crew (except the vampire/ship AI) went into the ship where all the crew that went had their brains hacked by all the EMF. They make a couple of trips back and forth into Rorschach and one of the crew dies. In the process the crew obtains a not-really-dead alien and takes it onto the ship. A new crewman is defrosted and analyzes the dead alien. Did Rorschach kill the biologist because he had all that cybernetic poo poo and that kept the brain hacks from working? Rorschach allowed the specimen to be taken to further an agenda that was outside the main narrator's understanding.

The crew makes several trips and takes two live aliens. They hear the imprisoned aliens communicating and decide that even though the aliens are non-sentient they are still intelligent.

Rorschach attacks with a cannon and gets the bodies (and experience data) of the two aliens back and also takes the replacement biologist guy with them.

Then when the ship self destructs in order to destroy Rorschach the narrator is left to drift through space. He hears that "Heaven" was destroyed somehow. Somehow he knows that the vampires did it and now Earth is devoid of humans and overrun with vampires. Mankind was doomed all along and it had nothing to do with aliens. The inefficiency of sentience did us in all on our own?

Is this correct?

No sorry, you got it all wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You measure how smart you are by how many books you've read. Duh.

To break it down into D&D terms, I figure I gain one INT point for each 13 books I read (roughly, assuming average book length is 300 pages). So if I read a book a week I will gain 4 INT points a year and at my current age I will be a genius by the time I'm 45 (I am basing this statement on my initial INT score which I derived by calculating it off a IQ test I took).

Delicious Sci Fi fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2010

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

It's just a book, fold over that corner if you need to.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

I want all my books in pristine condition so that way all the books I haven't read blend in with the few books I have.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

Earwicker posted:

I think he's saying just that SA is inhabited by a particularly nerdy group of people in general which is why GRRM is one of the most popular authors.

While I'm not a fan personally and think having more than one GRRM thread is stupid, there are plenty of other online book discussion communities inhabited by very different kinds of people that talk about very different kind of books, so if this place really rubs you the wrong way it's really not that hard to find another place more suited to your tastes.

So, wanna hook a brother up with a few links to other book discussion sites you visit?