Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cowboy elvis posted:

Yes there will be photos lots of photos.

None of the connie

I know what you mean.

Photos just don’t do justice to its beauty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Also note the thud behind the phantom.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

cowboy elvis posted:

Haha whatever my first demand will be POINT ME TO THE DASH 80

Hey, this guy's alright

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

$800 in flight vouchers. I might fly once per decade, that would be useless to me.
There's pretty strong consumer protection in place for air travel, even in the US. You can be denied boarding but once seated they're not actually allowed to remove you on non-safety grounds. They're also mandated to compensate you in $ if you ask (you should ask). That guy is going to settle for seven figgies, guaranteed.

hobbesmaster posted:

Supposedly they only offered vouchers and then deboarded confirmed passengers which is supposedly a violation of their contract of carriage*. Really the best indication that they knew they hosed up is that he got back on the plane.
It's a CoC violation because the CoC is established according to regulations. They broke the law, CPD broke the law, everyone's gonna get sued

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

evil_bunnY posted:

There's pretty strong consumer protection in place for air travel, even in the US. You can be denied boarding but once seated they're not actually allowed to remove you on non-safety grounds. They're also mandated to compensate you in $ if you ask (you should ask). That guy is going to settle for seven figgies, guaranteed.

It's a CoC violation because the CoC is established according to regulations. They broke the law, CPD broke the law, everyone's gonna get sued

The CEO is already claiming that being seated on the plane and having stored your luggage doesn't mean you've "boarded" yet.

https://twitter.com/RyanRuggiero/status/851577150117425154

...when we approached one of these passengers to explain apologetically that he was being denied boarding..."

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

MisterOblivious posted:

The CEO is already claiming that being seated on the plane and having stored your luggage doesn't mean you've "boarded" yet.

https://twitter.com/RyanRuggiero/status/851577150117425154

...when we approached one of these passengers to explain apologetically that he was being denied boarding..."

I would pay several dollars to see the look on the judge's face when the defense team puts that argument forward. :allears:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

xthetenth posted:

Also note the thud behind the phantom.

How about the Phantom behind the Thud?

I actually realized after my first trip there I did not have any good photos of the Thud and so it was one of the first things I took photos of on my second. A shameful mistake, I know.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gonna peep that Tomcat (bestcat) in the back right so hard next week.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

http://www.mprnews.org/story/2017/04/11/sun-county-unveils-planes-named-after-lakes

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Before I saw the second picture I was wracking my brain to figure out if I knew who the gently caress Blake Bemidji was.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
United passenger threatened with handcuffs to make room for 'higher-priority' traveler

United bumped a first class passenger after he was seated and had already been served a drink.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
They got a bailout too, right?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

cowboy elvis posted:

There's an F-4 :prepop:

Last summer Hill had an F-4 on the main floor that was in the process of restoration. The work itself was being done right there, if you happened to walk through when the crew had money for it. Knowing their budget situation it's probably still ongoing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Syrian Lannister posted:

I think they were still on the ground, it's not really bailing out unless you're airborne.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Syrian Lannister posted:

They got a bigger bailout than anyone else according to this: http://www.taxpayer.net/library/weekly-wastebasket/article/big-airlines-benefit-from-bailout-bill

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

slidebite posted:

No pics handy, but If we're going to talk under-rated air museums the one at Hill AFB is surprisingly good. If you're travelling through SLC it's a great stop for a few hours.

*summons pictures*

#MAGA.jpg :patriot:

If anyone has driven out west on I-80 between Utah and Nevada, you'll get it named after the giant neon cowboy in Wendover

Good view of the innards of a F-101 Voodoo

:black101:

:ghitler: :laugh:

Don't have any good pics of it, but the SR-71C on display is the only one in existence, and is nicknamed "The Bastard", since it was built using parts from other wrecked and salvaged Blackbirds.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I found some photos of that blackbird but the low light and relatively small area I didn't take good photos either.

Speaking of the blackbird, there are some good videos on YouTube with pilot interviews. Here is a short one from Udvar-Hazy
https://youtu.be/F4KD5u-xkik
E: just read on wiki the chines on them was actually for reducing rcs, not lift which it also did but that was a side effect not the primary purpose.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 12, 2017

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

A somewhat uncommon visitor at BGR this morning. No president, just the plane.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

How about the Phantom behind the Thud?

I actually realized after my first trip there I did not have any good photos of the Thud and so it was one of the first things I took photos of on my second. A shameful mistake, I know.

One of my recurrent airplane-nerd dreams is for the Collings Foundation to hit the lottery, and find an F-105 to restore and fly airshow formations with their F-4.

That, and the B-36 thing I've mentioned before. I have a very specific fetish.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What the gently caress

I love how weird that thing is.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

aphid_licker posted:

What the gently caress

I love how weird that thing is.

Edgley Optica. Was marketed as a replacement for the dangerous and expensive to operate police helicopter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgley_Optica

The police crashed it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MrYenko posted:

One of my recurrent airplane-nerd dreams is for the Collings Foundation to hit the lottery, and find an F-105 to restore and fly airshow formations with their F-4.

That, and the B-36 thing I've mentioned before. I have a very specific fetish.

I don't think you'll find many people shaming you for that in this thread, that's for sure.

Butt Reactor posted:

Good view of the innards of a F-101 Voodoo

This, now, this is new to me and this is awesome. I'd love to see more static displays where they pop open access panels and let you get a view of what's in there.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Psion posted:

I don't think you'll find many people shaming you for that in this thread, that's for sure.

This, now, this is new to me and this is awesome. I'd love to see more static displays where they pop open access panels and let you get a view of what's in there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Psion posted:

I'm that guy too. When I was at the Smithsonian A&S I was taking tons of pictures of the wright flyer, but I'm zooming in on the chain, sprockets, bearings, controls, etc. Sure I had several of the more macro photos but I love the "how poo poo works" stuff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That big blue thing, 2nd from the right, lower shelf, looks like a piece of music studio equipment. Maybe they're adding some compression, reverb and chorus to the pilot's radio transmission channel, so he can sound like the real deal? Or maybe it's a synthesizer that is programmed to play the pilot's happy place music when he's carrying a nuke on the big day? Or Good Vibrations when he's doing SIGINT?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

That big blue thing, 2nd from the right, lower shelf, looks like a piece of music studio equipment. Maybe they're adding some compression, reverb and chorus to the pilot's radio transmission channel, so he can sound like the real deal? Or maybe it's a synthesizer that is programmed to play the pilot's happy place music when he's carrying a nuke on the big day? Or Good Vibrations when he's doing SIGINT?

Moog makes loads of aircraft parts, just sayin'

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

slidebite posted:

I'm that guy too. When I was at the Smithsonian A&S I was taking tons of pictures of the wright flyer, but I'm zooming in on the chain, sprockets, bearings, controls, etc. Sure I had several of the more macro photos but I love the "how poo poo works" stuff.

Please post!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Finger Prince posted:

Moog makes loads of aircraft parts, just sayin'
Different Moog, though they are connected in a non-business way.

Moog Music was founded by Robert Moog, and makes synthesizers, etc. Moog Inc makes servo valves and other control systems, and was founded by Bill Moog... who was a cousin of Robert Moog, but they didn't work together.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, where do you go to see a TSR. 2 in the flesh?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jaguars! posted:

Holy poo poo, where do you go to see a TSR. 2 in the flesh?

Well, there's two options... (and i've been to both of them ;))

This one's in Cosford (UK).

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
motherfuckers act like they forgot about dra

as a replacement for the CGI background I offer these:

access panels, you say?

(this is the photo recon variant, you're looking at the camera installations in the nose)

the OG eurocanard isn't exactly graceful but two deltas are still better than one

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

meltie posted:

That's just gone on my bucket list. I thought every remnant had been destroyed in their effort to scrub the whole project from history.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

meltie posted:

somebody else liked that shot

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jaguars! posted:

That's just gone on my bucket list. I thought every remnant had been destroyed in their effort to scrub the whole project from history.

Cosford is a flippin' amazing place. So many gorgeous british aircraft.

Gloster Meteor Prone Position testbed
Bristol Type 188 (failed British SR72)
TSR.2
SEPECAT Jaguar ACT (FBW demonstrator for tech that went into the...)
BAe EAP (eurofighter concept)
Nimrod
some V-bombers ~handwave

Full list of aircraft at Cosford: http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research/default.aspx?museum=Cosford&collection=Aircraft

They've got an Avro 707 hidden away somewhere behind the scenes too. If you actually want to see one of those though, try the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester.

If you want a really bonkers place, Doncaster Air Museum is like wandering around a long-lost great uncle's mad shed. Utterly disorganised, smelling of old oil and phenolics. You can get lost for hours there.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfSMkOgTZxo

quote:

Pyongyang, March 28 (KCNA) -- A Pyongyang-Dandong air service was opened. The plane will depart from Pyongyang at 9:00 Tuesday and Friday every week and arrive in Dandong at 9:50 (9:20 local time). And it will leave Dandong at 10:50 (10:20 local time) and arrive in Pyongyang at 11:40. The first plane with passengers aboard arrived in Pyongyang on Mar. 28. The opening of the air service will provide conveniences to those wishing to tour the DPRK

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Different Moog, though they are connected in a non-business way.

Moog Music was founded by Robert Moog, and makes synthesizers, etc. Moog Inc makes servo valves and other control systems, and was founded by Bill Moog... who was a cousin of Robert Moog, but they didn't work together.

Well I can see who got all the engineering talent in that family!
(it is the synthesizer one)
(not saying Moog actuators are garbage, because technically they go back to the factory for overhaul... frequently)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I wonder if there's text on the flower bouquets that says "Do Not Eat" in Chinese and Best Korean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

^^ Do you suppose the An-148 (?) is a rental? Air Koyro with not 60s aircraft is like having steak and kidney pie on the beach in Hawaii - just wrong.