Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!

ab0z posted:

How could you leave it? I would have been clutching it in my hand with a big grin for like a year straight.

my dad's got a huge picture on the wall with the signatures of about two dozen famous aviators, including Hartmann, Galland, and Yeager :smug:
His squadron (1st Airlift Squadron) had a meet and greet with a ton of absolutely epic pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Crop dusting looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvlr8ngwOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWufkTHbj8

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

azflyboy posted:

After the airplane landed, the airport manager came out to see what the hell had just showed up on his ramp, only to be met by a figure wearing a space suit gesturing and yelling "Quick! get gun, guard airplane! Very Secret!" in heavily accented English.

The Cold War was so awesome (terrible).

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Ed; oops nvm

surivdaoreht fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 6, 2010

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

slidebite posted:

Those had to be blanks, or at least I hope they were.

If they were live rounds he would have lobbed those shells miles as he was still firing when pulling up.

Ah but it's New Zealand, there's nothing there to hit except for the sheep.

e: and the hills.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

azflyboy posted:

On August 3, 1959, a Taiwanese pilot on a training mission experienced a total engine failure over Colorado at night, but the pilot was able to dead-stick the airplane into the Cortez airport (due to its' runway lights being on), despite it not appearing on his charts.

Since the U2 is pretty much a glider with a jet engine, I'd imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to dead-stick than just about any other military plane in recent history. Still, I'd imagine the pilot (and airport manager) was pretty freaked out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Boat posted:

Since the U2 is pretty much a glider with a jet engine, I'd imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to dead-stick than just about any other military plane in recent history. Still, I'd imagine the pilot (and airport manager) was pretty freaked out.

Its incredibly hard to land because it generates so damned much lift, but no doubt it still glides better than any other aircraft, making it so much more resilient to engine failure and the ensuing stalling that would follow

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 6, 2010

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Yeah, and because of that and the fact that the pilot was on a training mission, and dead-sticked a U-2 on an uncharted runway in the middle of the night with no ground team guiding him in, it's safe to say that pilot was god damned AWESOME.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

The U2/TR-1 is also difficult to fly at altitude. There is about a 10 knot difference between stall and overspeed.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ApathyGifted posted:

Yeah, and because of that and the fact that the pilot was on a training mission, and dead-sticked a U-2 on an uncharted runway in the middle of the night with no ground team guiding him in, it's safe to say that pilot was god damned AWESOME.

That would explain the DFC.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So there was an airshow at the little airport here, which I misse (and the weather was lovely anyway) but a buddy who refuels airplanes (and had nothing to do this evening) called to let my roommate and I know that a couple planes were parked, including a B-25 Mitchell, and that he can get us on the tarmac to check them out.

So we did.

B-25:

F7F-3:

You can see more pics and these unresized here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Those are absolutely beautiful

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

slidebite posted:

This is the way airshows should be done, live ordinance and all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmseXJ7DV4c

Truly awesome, but seeing that old footage with all those old planes, and then a C-130 in the middle of them makes you realise just how long that drat plane has been flying. I realise that pretty much all the internals are no longer the same, but it still looks like the same plane.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Orange Someone posted:

Truly awesome, but seeing that old footage with all those old planes, and then a C-130 in the middle of them makes you realise just how long that drat plane has been flying. I realise that pretty much all the internals are no longer the same, but it still looks like the same plane.

And that, right there, is the biggest reason the Herc is so goddamned :black101:.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When you can't stand the :smug: look on the face of the guy with the R/C SR-71 anymore.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

I hate to burst your bubble, but I prefer my r/c B-29s with launchable X-1s.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
Kinda just impulse bought this, any suggestions as to what to do with it? I might just mount it on the roof of my work truck.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

blambert posted:

Kinda just impulse bought this, any suggestions as to what to do with it? I might just mount it on the roof of my work truck.

Bellytank Lakester

+

Edit:

Or... :banjo:

LOO fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 8, 2010

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

LOO posted:

Bellytank Lakester
Yep.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Awesome model, but should have put 4 blade props on it, it would no doubt give some more thrust and make it look more authentic

Boomerjinks posted:

Jesus christ it actually SOUNDS like a mini B-29 too!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jun 8, 2010

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

oopsie

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/06/08/von.antique.plane.crash.cnn?hpt=T3

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Here's some shots my dad has taken over the years from the end of a runway.

SR71 landing

Concorde taking off

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Your dad is pretty awesome.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

ab0z posted:

Your dad is pretty awesome.

I agree, with bonus F15 runway shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

Is this off the side of the B-52 that is at Sheppard AFB?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

Is this off the side of the B-52 that is at Sheppard AFB?

Probably not, he took it in the late 70s as far as I know. He's done a bunch of newer stuff, but he mostly just goes to Oshkosh every year and shoots for EAA.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
This is probably my favorite airplane video. Mass Launch at Red Flag 09-2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNugoJLPHQw

F-16s look so badass in aggressor colors.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boomerjinks posted:

OK, that beats mine. Yours has retractable landing gear, too.

Going by youtube, lots and lots of people are trying to claim the crown of "world's largest RC plane."

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nebakenezzer posted:

OK, that beats mine. Yours has retractable landing gear, too.

Going by youtube, lots and lots of people are trying to claim the crown of "world's largest RC plane."
Army Air Corps made real B-17s R/C in WWII. JFK's brother was killed on one, actually. (Rather ironic to be killed piloting an R/C plane, I know.)

World's largest would therefore have to be larger than that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

grover posted:

Army Air Corps made real B-17s R/C in WWII. JFK's brother was killed on one, actually. (Rather ironic to be killed piloting an R/C plane, I know.)

World's largest would therefore have to be larger than that.

Hah! I forgot all about the BQ-17 Aphrodite remote bombs! Was kind of a sucky idea, it never really worked like it was supposed to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Aphrodite

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 9, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It was a good idea undone by the fact that radio controls and all the electronics needed weren't there yet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Looks like the brakes were jammed on. "Feet alive" is an important pre landing checklist point for a taildragger pilot so I suppose it's possible that one of the pilots inadvertently held the brakes down, but I bet it was a mechanical failure.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Here's some pitcures I took at Red Flag 1989-90-ish. Please excuse the poor quality, these are scans of 20 year old photos.

All taken from a KC-135A

LOO fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2010

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

oxbrain posted:

Crop dusting looks like a lot of fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZvlr8ngwOE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jWufkTHbj8

From the "related videos" I got:

"Hot Sexy Girl Pilot Sprays Her First Field". :dance:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just saw this on a History doco: the NB-36H. Pure :science:

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Someone may have mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I still like it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Man the Peacemaker is loving ugly, no wonder the B-47 kicked its rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Man the Peacemaker is loving ugly, no wonder the B-47 kicked its rear end.

Shut your dirty mouth, that looked awesome. :colbert:

I like the quote from wiki:

quote:

The B-36 was not a particularly enjoyable aircraft to fly. Its overall performance, in terms of speed and manuverability, was never considered sprightly. Lieutenant General James Edmundson likened it to "...sitting on your front porch and flying your house around."

I giggle imagining that.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
That picture was a little unfair. That picture should have had at least one of the engines on fire. That's when it looks the most :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

I giggle imagining that.
Hey, now we know that this guy must be an Air Force vet!