Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wdarkk posted:

That's a 787.

No poo poo.
With no other reason given for its infamy, I'd figure trotting it out after the Ethiopian fire would be at the very least ironic, if not particularly infamous, especially since the 777 uses the same model ELT in roughly the same location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Butt Reactor posted:

(BusinessFirst?)

That looks ghastly compared to BA Club World... Giant TV screens though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Koesj posted:

If the Indian deal ever leads to a full production run, and all Gulf states looking for a new fighter buy into it too, then the number of exported Rafales might very well be bigger than domestically used ones.

It won't take many sales to break that mark, but the Gulf states are going to keep buying American.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

McDeth posted:

Any comments on who's fault this was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcN-0PikEU

From a purely uneducated standpoint, I'd say the pilot of the biplane is at fault. Is it even legal to fly that low in a populated area? Granted it's over an airfield, but jeez...

The RC pilot was at fault no question.

The biplane pilot wasn't flying low over a populated area, he was flying low over a runway at an airport, either to make a landing or a low approach. He had every right to be there and that is exactly the place where pilots of full sized aircraft should be expected to fly low.

Those RC guys were standing on a presumably active runway at a small airport (unless details have emerged that the airport was closed and had a NOTAM issued) and weren't monitoring the local traffic frequency nor watching out for aircraft inbound to land. Or they were paying attention and were just terrible at hearing/seeing things.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Went to class this morning, surprised to see this on the ramp:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

The biplane pilot wasn't flying low over a populated area, he was flying low over a runway at an airport, either to make a landing or a low approach. He had every right to be there and that is exactly the place where pilots of full sized aircraft should be expected to fly low.

Those RC guys were standing on a presumably active runway at a small airport (unless details have emerged that the airport was closed and had a NOTAM issued) and weren't monitoring the local traffic frequency nor watching out for aircraft inbound to land. Or they were paying attention and were just terrible at hearing/seeing things.

Does "see and avoid" apply to vehicles other than certificated aircraft?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Polymerized Cum posted:

Does "see and avoid" apply to vehicles other than certificated aircraft?

quote:

§ 91.113 Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.

(a) Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an aircraft on water.

(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.

quote:

1.1 Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

It applies to any aircraft, certificated or otherwise.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Beastie posted:

Is that GFK? The hangar in the background looks really similar to one there.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

The Ferret King posted:

A lot of RC guys use (temporarily) inactive runways with permission. There is a chance that RC club had permission and clearance to be there, and the biplane was in the wrong.

Speaking of which, the biplane was making smoke at the time and certainly didn't appear to be trying to land. Not sure what was going on there. Will be interesting to see the report.

grover fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 13, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

grover posted:

Will be interesting to see the report.

one page ago

short short version: "The radio-controlled airplane operator’s decision to maneuver his airplane outside of the designated operating area, resulting in a collision with a bi-plane. Contributing to the accident was the lack of a formally designated spotter."

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

joat mon posted:

one page ago

short short version: "The radio-controlled airplane operator’s decision to maneuver his airplane outside of the designated operating area, resulting in a collision with a bi-plane. Contributing to the accident was the lack of a formally designated spotter."
Thanks, missed that link. I am absolutely amazed that club was permitted to fly RC aircraft that close to an active runway in the first place.

Explains the smoke, though. If the biplane pilot was trying to get the RC pilot's attention... mission accomplished!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

grover posted:

Thanks, missed that link. I am absolutely amazed that club was permitted to fly RC aircraft that close to an active runway in the first place.

Explains the smoke, though. If the biplane pilot was trying to get the RC pilot's attention... mission accomplished!

Doesn't surprise me, given it was probably a "local" fly-in. One of the local car show + fly-in gigs around here will often use the active runway to direct cars to their parking spots. Granted, it's a grass field airstrip only used by a small sky-diving operation, and by the time they open it up all the airplanes are where they need to be and most of the cars are where they need to be so good management prevents a Taylorcraft Cub from landing on a Chevrolet Corvair.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

azflyboy posted:

Is that GFK? The hangar in the background looks really similar to one there.

That's actually KMDH, Home of the SIUC Flying Salukis.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

It won't take many sales to break that mark, but the Gulf states are going to keep buying American.

I don't discount the chance that they'll all be going American, but that would be a departure of past policy in itself :confused:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
This was a promo for Les Chevaliers du Ciel (the Skyfighters), with lots of fantastic Mirage S2000 Cinematography, the best of which is in here. Make sure to watch in full-screen HD!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

I've got it on DVD. The plot is awful, but who really cares?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

grover posted:

This was a promo for Les Chevaliers du Ciel (the Skyfighters), with lots of fantastic Mirage S2000 Cinematography, the best of which is in here. Make sure to watch in full-screen HD!

Trivial thing, it looks like they are shooting this with an 11 bladed aperture, 22 rays off the lens flare. If it is an even number of blades, you get an even number of rays, if it is an odd number of blades, you get twice that number of rays. The more common hexagonal lens flare comes from a 6 bladed aperture.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Beastie posted:

When did the Blues start getting C/D models? Fairly recently? I know a few years back it was pretty common for one of their aircraft to be grounded or have a delayed takeoff for a lot of shows. Those As were ancient.

I think NASA has several ex Blue Angels A models though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

That's actually KMDH, Home of the SIUC Flying Salukis.

What the hell was it doing there?

Do Blue Angels use "standard" callsigns in flight or do they have something unique? I'm not working the sectors that sit over KMDH yet so I wouldn't have worked it going in, but I work a decent amount of F18's that are going in/out of KBLV and have wondered.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

grover posted:

Some beautiful images there! It's nice having a movie with some real images and not CGI crap.

I remember growing up in southern France seeing these guys practice low-level flying between the hills. Was awesome seeing them shoot between mountain passes on full bank turns.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

C-Series first flight monday. Hopefully.

Please don't be a piece of poo poo...

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
787-9 First Flight window opens tuesday too.

Same request applies.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fknlo posted:

Do Blue Angels use "standard" callsigns in flight or do they have something unique? I'm not working the sectors that sit over KMDH yet so I wouldn't have worked it going in, but I work a decent amount of F18's that are going in/out of KBLV and have wondered.

Their C130 came through last summer and his callsign was VMBA09 or something. We did call him Blue Angel 09 but I'm not sure of any official label for him. We probably called him that because that's what he called himself.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Koesj posted:

I don't discount the chance that they'll all be going American, but that would be a departure of past policy in itself :confused:

Sure, they have a few leftovers from the '70s and a mix of helicopters and a few support aircraft, but the primary fighters in the region are American: F-15 (Saudi Arabia), F-16 (UAE, Bahrain), and F-18 (Kuwait).

Edit: The glaring exception is Saudi's Eurofighter order, which isn't even half filled yet, but I also wouldn't take it as an indicator that the region is going to shift to the Rafale.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 14, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Godholio posted:

Sure, they have a few leftovers from the '70s and a mix of helicopters and a few support aircraft, but the primary fighters in the region are American: F-15 (Saudi Arabia), F-16 (UAE, Bahrain), and F-18 (Kuwait).

Edit: The glaring exception is Saudi's Eurofighter order, which isn't even half filled yet, but I also wouldn't take it as an indicator that the region is going to shift to the Rafale.

Qatar flies the M2000s exclusively. UAE squadrons are half F-16E/F, half M2000-9, with the latter having had extensive upgrades while new deliveries only came in just 10 years ago. Oman signed a contract for Typhoons last december (*technically* not a Gulf State though).

If anything, GCC countries source their hardware from lots of different places: Qatar is replacing their AMX-30s with Leo 2s, uses all kinds of French-made vehicles, and ordered a battalion of PzH-2000s. The UAE Army drives Leclercs and hundreds of BMPs. Kuwait has former Yugoslavian M-84s, and BMPs as well. Oman uses Challenger tanks.

Hell, the Saudis bought ballistic missiles from the Chinese and the UAE was the launch customer for the SA-22. What I'm getting at here is that there's been a concerted push to diversify arms sourcing by GCC countries, at the expense of any semblance of force rationalization mind you. I see no reason why this would be any different for upcoming contracts and would say US lock-in is more of a thing in non-GCC Arab countries like Jordan and Egypt, or maybe Morocco and Iraq these days.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

StandardVC10 posted:

So I went to Long Beach Airport today, hoping to get a look at the last C-17 delivered to the USAF. I got caught in the morning rush hour and missed it (didn't get the memo that it would be leaving early anyway) but while I was there this guy did a missed approach:

I'm 95% certain that this inoffensive Dornier turboprop actually flies for the Air Force Special Operations Command. There are people way more familiar with the Air Force than I am, though...

Haha this guy was doing touch and go's here in Gallup a month or two ago. It was a bit of a :psyduck: moment.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Ive worked a few blue angels and its always just VVBA04, etc

kmcormick9 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 14, 2013

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

StandardVC10 posted:

So I went to Long Beach Airport today, hoping to get a look at the last C-17 delivered to the USAF. I got caught in the morning rush hour and missed it (didn't get the memo that it would be leaving early anyway) but while I was there this guy did a missed approach:

I'm 95% certain that this inoffensive Dornier turboprop actually flies for the Air Force Special Operations Command. There are people way more familiar with the Air Force than I am, though...

I'm a big fan of the Dornier's, especially their jet version.

kmcormick9 posted:

Ive worked a few blue angels and its always just VVBA04, etc

Do you guys play up their callsign or just call them "Navy Bravo Alpha Zero Four?"

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Previa_fun posted:

When did the Blues start getting C/D models? Fairly recently? I know a few years back it was pretty common for one of their aircraft to be grounded or have a delayed takeoff for a lot of shows. Those As were ancient.

I think NASA has several ex Blue Angels A models though.

fknlo posted:

Not sure, Wikipedia says they've been using the C/D variants since around 2006. The pilot is Lt. Ryan Chamberlain, a 2003 SIU graduate. He brought a mechanic up with him in the second seat. We're leaving class early to watch him do a bad-rear end short-field take off.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 14, 2013

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Koesj posted:

Hell, the Saudis bought ballistic missiles from the Chinese and the UAE was the launch customer for the SA-22. What I'm getting at here is that there's been a concerted push to diversify arms sourcing by GCC countries, at the expense of any semblance of force rationalization mind you. I see no reason why this would be any different for upcoming contracts and would say US lock-in is more of a thing in non-GCC Arab countries like Jordan and Egypt, or maybe Morocco and Iraq these days.

I like to think Arms Shows are meant for these GCC countries. You have a bunch of princes and royalty show up looking for cool hardware and they just purchase whatever looks cool. For this reason, we see a lot of them adopting European hardware (the majority of participants at these shows), not exclusively American stuff.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Suicide Watch posted:

I like to think Arms Shows are meant for these GCC countries. You have a bunch of princes and royalty show up looking for cool hardware and they just purchase whatever looks cool. For this reason, we see a lot of them adopting European hardware (the majority of participants at these shows), not exclusively American stuff.
Gotta be a real bitch trying to integrate drastically different sourced equipment like that into a cohesive combat system. The Indians seem to be the only ones who can do it successfully.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
In Ottawa for a few days to see my sister and her kids, took them out to the Aviation museum for the Star Wars Identities exhibit (which was amazing). Luckily had about 10 minutes to pop into the aviation museum before it closed. Good god the CF-104 is small and amazing in person.

Oh and totally unrelated but awesome was all the film models from Star Wars....fictional astronautical insanity?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Ferret King posted:

I'm a big fan of the Dornier's, especially their jet version.

The only place I've seen a lot of Dorniers is, weirdly enough, the Arnage airfield immediately before, during, and after the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

(This one, D-COSA, is apparently now one of the US Air Force's Dorniers.)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The wing placement on Dorniers makes them look like they're constantly :shrug:ging

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This thread is now about obscure STOL aircraft:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Finally a chance to post the Just Aircraft Superstol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ

http://justaircraft.com/page.php?45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ5uudaAPPY

edit: not obscure in that it's a J-3 Cub clone, but an obscure clone of one.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

Holy crap, I was wondering why the wheels had such a weird camber to them in the air and then when it hits the ground its like it was dropped onto a pillow. Fox rock crawler shocks on a plane are pretty neat. Even his tail wheel has an extra swingarm and shock on it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I love watching super STOL. loving wonderfully insane :allears:

I want to see one doing it off a building's helipad in the middle of a city, but I suppose it'll never be.

Highlights of a STOL competition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTuDeKxjPck

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 16, 2013

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does that guy that own a harrier show up at these and act real :smug:

(Right after asking where the Jet-A is)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Jonny Nox posted:

Finally a chance to post the Just Aircraft Superstol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeQP-H_31JQ

http://justaircraft.com/page.php?45

It's like the bastard off spring of a Cub and a Storch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

This thread is now about obscure STOL aircraft:

:stare: