Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Postal posted:

Have a closer read of the text

or is this a :thejoke: within a :thejoke:? If so, how far do the :thejoke: go down the rabbit hole?

If that is a fake image, I'll bet the person who wrote it works in advertising. That text reads exactly like I'd expect to see on an ad.

E: Also explains why they put the wrong plane on there. :v:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Powercube posted:

This, a thousand times this- and they always have random policy changes where you have to end up opening your whole carry on and just looking like a total rear end in a top hat bag of dildos.

FTFY

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

a 2nd plane has hit the butthole

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That looks like a pretty bad wifi leak, it's spraying out and getting all over the tail.

Chemtrails are a myth. We should worry about these wifi trails, giving kids the angry bird syndrome at school. Won't someone please think of the children?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

The thread title got me thinking about the su-34. When was the last time you took a poo poo at mach 0.8 and +7g. :v:

Having the other guy pull 7Gs while you're on the shitter is probably a pretty effective way to deal with constipation.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

At this point would it be better to scrap the helmet part of the Distributed Aperture System and just put some Oculus Rift mounts in the existing flight helmets? I mean, is the plucky startup (until recently) company actually further along than Northrup Grumman?

I'm going to assume that they aren't stuck on the 'put a bunch of outward facing cameras in the plane' aspect of this system since that doesn't seem like anything revolutionary, correct me if I'm wrong here.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Slo-Tek posted:

In light of MH-17 shootdown Mark Kirk (R) Ill. Wants missile shields for US Airliners. Indicating a lack of understanding of the EM spectrum, as he advocates DIRCM systems....that aren't even built in his district.

http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/212690-gop-senator-wants-missile-shields-for-airplanes

joke from comments: Kirk would also like photon torpedos and a cloaking field.

If you remove "that aren't even built in his district" this makes perfect sense.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Mazz posted:

Seems like a decently interesting question all things considered. A late war boom and zoom might do surprisingly well with a decent height advantage, but we're talking about a 40 year gap here. I'd be surprised if most WW2 fighters had the ammo to really get the job done on something built to fly into Shilkas.

Yeah, wouldn't the A-10 be effectively impervious to anything that didn't have a cannon?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrChips posted:

One of my instructors in college (and a close friend to this day) was born with a congenital defect that left him with nothing below the elbow on his right arm. It didn't affect his flying ability one bit, nor did it stop him from riding a motorcycle or driving a car with a manual transmission.

Jesus, I could see driving stick one handed with my right hand, but I'm trying to imagine it with the left and its not working.

E: Motorcycle is probably more impressive, but I don't know poo poo about motorcycles.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Make sure The Media and their associated soccer mom viewers never catch wind of this video and maneuver or they'll never get to do this again. It'll be 787-9 Farnborough 2014 all over again. That's legitimately awesome. :stonklol:

ed: oh my god the comments in that are the best.

Does no one commenting on the video realize the plane is empty so it has a thrust-weight ratio of approximately a bunch? Fake edit: Oh right, Youtube comments.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ola posted:

...it's only about half the size of a HP printer driver for Win XP.

Assuming LockMart isn't shoving 500mb of advertisements for their other products in with the actual program. (They aren't, they send those directly to post-retirement-consulting-jobs@af.mil.)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

azflyboy posted:

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

My plan to build an entire ballistic missile and then duct tape a Bluetooth enabled GPS unit to the front is foiled!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

You laugh but building a GPS guided missile with RC jets is actually trivially easy.

Yeah but building something that can reach 60,000 ft or 1200mph is not. If you can build a missile that can do either/both of those, you probably have the resources to roll your own unrestricted GPS device or obtain one.

azflyboy posted:

The newer generation of GPS satellites were actually built and orbited without the hardware for selective availability, so the decision to disable it has been made effectively permanent.

Interestingly, all civilian GPS receivers have some built in "kill switches" to keep them from being used to build something like a ballistic missile. Specifically, civilian GPS receivers are required to disable tracking if the device sees itself moving at more than 1200mph or going higher than 60,000ft.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

keyboard vomit posted:

Someone patented an airline seat that would poke you in the butt with poison if someone decided you were going to hijack the plane.

New coach-sleeper seating class.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ehnus posted:

Wonder when we'll have the first autocorrect-induced friendly fire incident.

Drone operator: Okay Doddie, fly over to that wedding and...
*Star Trek TNG playing in background* Picard: Engage!
Doddie: *ding dong* Engaging wedding

E: Also if DoD ever does release a Siri clone, I hope they name it Doddie.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ola posted:

I love how it makes a friendly doorbell chime to indicate its kill circuits have gone live.

Maybe a couple bars of Ride of the Valkyries for KILLBOTMODE=TRUE.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

Including space ships, excavation, nuclear weapons, surplus military equipment, gas exploration, other nuclear weapons, Pacific islands, plant seeds, and schoolchildren.

The 50s were right.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Why did they even report that?

I'll bet a CNN editor was on that flight. Live CNN iProducer iReporting from the aPlane.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fucknag posted:

The rocket is specifically designed to deliver its rated payload while leaving enough fuel for the flyback maneuver. Customers who have a heavier payload can opt to dip into that reserve to get it to orbit, at higher cost (since the rocket will fall into the ocean instead of being reused.)

Getting 10 flights out of a rocket instead of one will reduce the per-launch costs significantly. Currently, the Atlas 5 costs about $13,000 per pound of payload to low Earth orbit. Falcon 9 already has that beat at ~4,000 per pound, but with full reusability SpaceX has stated they're aiming to get under $1,000, and possibly as low as $500.

Aren't there a lot of launches that are lots of little satellites/experiments/etc that get loaded onto one rocket and all shot up at the same time? I suppose that wouldn't work for something that absolutely had to be in a specific orbit, but if you just need X hours of weightlessness do do a test, it seems like you could share some space with other tests that need to do the same thing.

The point of all that being, you could put slightly fewer of the same tests on one rocket, launch it, recover the engines, and launch a second flight at a savings.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Captain Apollo posted:

I flew model airplanes as a kid all the time. Loved em. Great hobby, great skills.

Drones? Well - take it out of the box and you're ready to go! I really think it's awesome, but when people are removed from their actions like they are with a drone it gets weird.

All the model RC guys take pride in their aircraft and their abilities. It takes a lot of skill to fly an airplane/helicopter that's remote controlled. You need to keep it within sight and have intuitive knowledge of the planes abilities.

From what I understand of drones, it takes much less skill, and as long as you keep mashing the FULL POWRE button it'll keep climbing..

I really want you to have fun with drones, hell I may want one at some point, but we are in a thread called Aeronautical Insanity. We give a poo poo about airplanes and flying and the awesomeness that is aviation in general.

Cletus and Bob give no fucks about any of that, they just want to go to the top of a roof somewhere and fly their drone that they aren't really responsible for, pilot wise.
                                                            /

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=0ff19736f5c2 Here's a fun little jaunt around the old course. I'm a big fan of the tree line directly at the end of the finish line and the real flat and fast landing on the main straightaway of the racetrack. :3:

:pwn:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

It's amazing how wrong every part of this is. Except airplanes. There's a few of those in here.

For example, the most outspoken opponents of the F-35 program in this thread are actually active duty or veterans.

Non-veteran chiming in that we should go back in time and slap Robert Gates upside the head for shutting down the F-22 line early. They're roughly as expensive as the F-35, but they almost seem to be turning into another F-15; designed for A2A, but able to do strike missions as well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

evil_bunnY posted:

It's cool but yeah, good luck timing your launch with strike package in a non-permissive environment. I still love the "we brought more poo poo to this partay than we have pylons for" concept :D

I'm assuming the point is that a plane can laze a moving boat and have a Navy ship 50mi away send a Tomahawk over.

I still have no idea why they want to do this though. Is it because a Tomahawk has a bigger warhead than a Harpoon?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

When was the last time you noscoped at Mach 0.48? I mean while not in a passenger plane

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2vwqrz/when_you_have_a_long_flight_you_find_a_way/

Until you zoom in, it kinda looks like the guy in the back is laying down some sick beats.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

This was one of the results when I image searched for avenger pics:

My favorite part about this image is that the lower missiles are mounted to the upper missiles. Why not?

needs more dakka

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

yeah unless they were planning on dropping davy crockett rounds, i dont see that ending well for the a-10 pilot

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Harrier hovering at an air show was my loudest, but I'm not sure if it was actually that much louder, or just felt like it was because it was hovering for a minute or two and not just flying overhead.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hey guys, some idiot from the internet found MH370! Russia didn't have enough hostages to brutally murder with explosive sticks and sleeping gas rescue during Spetznaz training, so they imported some.

:tinfoil: Jeff "Soviets are poisoning my precious bodily fluids" Wise :tinfoil: posted:

There aren’t a lot of places to land a plane as big as the 777, but, as luck would have it, I found one: a place just past the last handshake ring called Baikonur Cosmodrome. Baikonur is leased from Kazakhstan by Russia. A long runway there called Yubileyniy was built for a Russian version of the Space Shuttle. If the final Inmarsat ping rang at the start of MH370’s descent, it would have set up nicely for an approach to Yubileyniy’s runway 24.

As it happened, there were three ethnically Russian men aboard MH370, two of them Ukrainian-passport holders from Odessa. Could any of these men, I wondered, be special forces or covert operatives? As I looked at the few pictures available on the internet, they definitely struck me as the sort who might battle Liam Neeson in midair.

Taken 4 viral marketing is starting early.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

They got the bulge wrong, it should slope outward on the bottom to accommodate the test pilot's gigantic balls.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Kenlon posted:

Where are they going to find a Sarlacc, though?

This is Burning Man, guests won't have any problems scoring some killer hallucinogens.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

interviewing the neighbor - the pirate.

Pirates did 3/24.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

sofullofhate posted:

Guys. GUYS! Did you miss this? Because OHMAGAWDITSF19STEALTHFIGHTERIMSOEXCITED!!!!!!!!

But it doesn't run on OS X :smith:

This was my first flight sim! I started playing it when I was like 8, during the first Gulf war. I didn't understand why I got marked down on mission debriefings for bombing the poo poo out of Baghdad. :saddowns:

In this version of the game, the ME enemy is Iran, Iraq is neutral.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

True, quite true. Its hilarious how so many people jumped on the Hydrogen fuel crowd without any research whatsoever

"I'm fighting the Petroleum Mafia!" :allears:

I'm on the hydrogen as fuel bandwagon, but I also want a nuclear plant in my backyard to provide the power for it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tremblay posted:

I really hope there is a way to address this. Nuclear has its complications but its one of if not, the cleanest way we can provide power in a stable way in the quantities needed.

I'm not optimistic, because people hear ATOMZ and start thinking about Chernobyl and Fukushima. And Fukushima really should be a positive for nuclear power. A 50 year old obsolete design got hit with one of the biggest earthquakes/tsunamis in modern times, and had a relatively minor radiation leak. It was bad, but not really all that bad given the age of the design and what it had to cope with.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Phanatic posted:

Aside from actually producing hydrogen, the big problem is that while it's massic energy density is top notch, its *volumetric* energy density is awful:

Note that that's cryogenic, and that tank's a *lot* bigger than the LOX tank. This is a big reason why so many rocket first-stages use kerosene as the fuel rather than hydrogen even though hydrogen would naively calculate out to better performance.

Aviation kerosene's about 38 megajoules/liter. Hydrogen at 33 MpA, just shy of 5000psi, is about 3 megajoules/liter.

Cryogenic fuel storage for private aircraft is never going to be a thing. And pressure vessels that can withstand pressures of that magnitude are not exactly light. So unless your airplane's wing tanks are of similar volume to a dirigible, I don't think hydrogen propulsion for aircraft is going to be a thing either.

Yeah, metal hydrides, hydrogen sponge, etc, but you're talking about storing ~5% hydrogen by weight. Also not going to get a plane very far.

That's a very good point I didn't take into account. Even if you could bring enough hydrogen along, where would you put it in the aircraft? The pressure vessel wants to be a cylinder, which is not a good shape for a wing.

E: Hydrogen powered dirigible? :v: Please don't hit me.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Lilbeefer posted:

Can someone explain to me the finger over 2 rising moons thing to me? Awesome story!

ever since top gun came out, aviators of every branch have tried to come up with a way to outgay the volleyball scene

jabbing a middle finger upward between two asscheeks is the best thing theyve found yet

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Plinkey posted:

Probably has to do with max (signed) int of 2,147,483,647 ~= 2,142,720,000 (ms in 284 days) which gives you about 4,763,647 ms or ~13.23 hours before an overflow.

Of course assuming the LSB is ms since boot.

Heck of a coincidence if not, I was starting to do the math when I saw your post. Seconds go in 32 bit unsigned, milliseconds go in 64 bit unsigned people, jeez!

I guess I should have done the math, milliseconds per day in an unsigned 32 bit overflows at around 49.7 days, not 248.

E2: It's hundredths of a second in a signed 32. 248*24*60*60*100 ~= 2^31.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 1, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Godholio posted:

I'm sticking to search radars, since that's where this conversation came from, and most of those types are mechanically scanned.

For the rest of us lurkers, what are the advantages of AESA vs mechanical scan (within opsec limits)?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kind of hard to spin drama around "he drank too much the night before and plowed into a mountain."

Not a mountain but https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_nhxm5QEbYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Wow, I never really realized how much bigger the -53s were either: