Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

You're fixin' to get jacked up breaking red like that. :v:

Actually, funny story about breaking red...so during Northern Edge last summer we had a shitload of Navy guys up here, even more than usual since the carrier dropped out so the bulk of their Air Wing came up here and operated from Elmo. Anyway, these guys don't exactly play by AF rules, and were breaking red all over the place. We mentioned it to them once or twice, and they kind of looked at us and mumbled okay...and kept on doing it. We didn't give a poo poo, but the Wing Commander hisself said later that day that NO ONE would break red...and the Navy folks kept right on doing it.

We used to fly up to McChord from San Diego, to ultimately meet the carrier at Puget Sound for workup cycles and whatnot. I can't even begin to tell you how many of my former shipmates (gently caress I hate that word) probably still have bootprints on their backs and/or necks from running amok on the line and pissing of the SPs. Some people just can't be taught.

I always used to ask people if they'd ever watched "WKRP in Cincinnati", and if they were familiar with Les Nesman's office. It's the best analogy I could come up with to describe the AF's method of cordoning. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Awww, I found all of my old S-3B Vikings at the boneyard.

http://g.co/maps/at48c

NASA still flies a couple as test/research birds, and I think VX-30 might still be operating a few at Point Mugu. I worked on those old girls for a long time, still have a bit of a soft spot for them.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Imagine my surprise this morning when I rolled in to work (BGR) and that behemoth of an airplane is down at the other end of the runway! They apparently landed at around 9 last night, I wasn't able to get a flight plan to see when they're leaving again. I also didn't have a camera with me. :( Good to see that big bastard again though, first time it's been through here in several years. We have AN-124s here all the time, so the novelty of those has kind of worn off.

One of the guys who had never seen it before kept muttering "That's just stupid big. Stupid big. drat."

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Maybe it's different on the 340 then...

My job is almost exclusively Saab 340 maintenance. They're a bit loud on the ground but quiet down nicely once you get in the air. The real trick is to not sit in the first 3 rows if at all possible. A lot of the later B-models also have a noise-cancelling system installed in the cabin that (when calibrated properly, which few facilities seem to be able get right) attenuates the noise by about 6dB.

The last ATR I flew on had a couple of loose interior sidewall panels, hooked in at the top but not completely seated on the bottom. *rattlerattlerattlerattle* for 2.5 hours. Ugh.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Fist of Freud posted:

Some Skywest Captain killed his girlfriend and as a fugitive jumped the airport fence, hopped in a CRJ200 and ran it into a parking lot. Ended it all with a gun in the plane. I can’t wait to see the kneejerk reaction from this.

Aeronautical Insanity?

Christ, could that news report have been any more sensationalized? "No locks! No security codes! No keys for the ignition! Anyone can can just climb in and drive one away!" I've got news for the news...as everyone here knows, there are tens of thousands of us regular non-piloty-folk with enough knowledge of various aircraft to do exactly that. I giggled when this came up in the video:

That's the right engine of a Saab 340B. I climb into those with no keys and drive them around the field on an almost daily basis! Without clearance from ground! (we have our own ramp and taxiway that's not used by the airport proper, but is also about 100 yards from and directly connected to the south end of the runway.)

Also, LOL file footage...American stopped flying Saabs in 2008.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Calspan has a Saab 340A with an F-16 radar system grafted on. I've never even thought to take any pictures of it when it's been up in my hangar for maintenance, so here's someone else's picture. Thanks, someone else!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sky Bahamas destroys another perfectly good airplane.

That plane was just up here a couple of weeks ago for an engine swap. Rest in pieces, 340B-316. :(

They broke another one a few years ago when the chief pilot forgot to check the position of his gear handle before he started up.

Oops. That was a loving great airframe too, very well maintained before SB took possession of it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Not with any kind of safety interlock, astoundingly. If the handle is up and the pins are out, the gear *will* fold when hydraulics come on. One of many design decisions that still causes me, even after six years of working on them, to say "Why would anyone do that?!?" at least once a day.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

At least you dont have lavs. That game is less fun when you add blu-water (Fresh and Soiled!) to the mix of unpleasantness.

Ah yes, the ol' blue stew. I especially love that stuff when it's dribbling out of the belly drains...you just *know* it's going to be a very, very bad day.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

That thing has a Prowler/Growler side number! :wtc: ;)
Makes sense to me, it's probably going to have a pretty significant ELINT role.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Regarding that 787 at LHR that caught on fire... It was batteries, just not those batteries:

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/S5-2013%20ET-AOP.pdf

I fully expected the culprit to be a Cobham ELT97. I've never seen one catch fire, but they do love to spontaneously activate themselves. Sometimes with the switch in the "off" position. The Cospas-Sarsat folks really, really do not find any humor in that.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Any of you prop/rotor/jet-heads live in or around Gainesville, FL? I'll be there for a week or so starting tomorrow afternoon, business trip to do some avionics tech support for a local operator that may or may not fly Saab 340s with pink (IT'S FUSCHIA, DAMMIT!) nacelles. Wouldn't at all mind having a mini goon meet for a beer and a burger if anyone's local. :)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ctishman posted:

Flying MDT-PHL. Dash-8-100, I poo poo you not. I guess flying Horizon all the time, I forgot that other airlines (US Air in this case) kept ancient-rear end turboprops on like this.

That's probably one of Piedmont's birds. There's a better than even chance that I've had my hands in its guts at some point in the past, the last MRO I worked for did a lot of their heavy maintenance. Those things are built like tanks. Flying tanks with 40 seats, and somewhat arguably faster than the Greyhound buses they look and smell like.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Advent Horizon posted:

Or, for that matter, why not just make a cheap 'stealth box' out of foam and absorbent coatings that falls off a sidewinder as it launches?
This would be a nice, redeeming followup to the old "Sidewinder falls off F-18 as it traps" problem.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I worked on a project a few years ago, the intent of which was to turn one of these into an optionally-piloted vehicle. I was handed a whole pile of off-the-shelf stuff (with a Cloud Cap Piccolo II as the brain for autonomous flight) and told, "See if you can make this work."

I got as far as actually getting all of the flight control surfaces to respond to radio control, but then the client ran out of money and took his airplane back. :(

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

This is really high on my list of "things I don't want to see on my ramp in the morning." Oddly, it's also really high on my list of "things I'm going to take pictures of anyway."

TERRAIN. TERRAIN. PULL UP!

Ice storm last weekend, 10 more inches of snow last night, plus a cargo compartment full of records boxes and an unknown (but probably minimal right now) amount of fuel on board. Lots of extra weight behind the landing gear, and probably a stiff gust of wind or two was enough to overbalance it. No damage though, nice soft rotation into the snow behind it and an equally soft touchdown once some of the snow and ice was removed. I loving love winter.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

Are those the old Mesaba Airplanes? I thought they went back to Sweden. Are they stilling flying around Europe in Delta colors?

I work for C&L Aviation Services in Bangor. We handle a lot of Saab's leasing and lease return maintenance, as well as their aircraft storage. We used to have a whole shitload of Mesaba planes in the old red NWA livery, and do indeed still have some wearing Delta garb. The one on its rear end in the picture was last flown by a South American airline whose name I forget, and I'm honestly not even sure who owns it anymore. We're just keeping it alive until someone else decides to buy it.

When one leaves our hangar after a heavy check, it's usually to go for a new paint job for the new owner/lessee. We'll have our own paint facility up and running within the next year though, so we'll be a one-stop shop for the customers. Christ, I sound like an advertisement. Can I interest anyone in a low-cycle 340B?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Sadly cancelled after the first test pilot got shot through a wormhole....

What the frell are you going on about?

(I just finished re-watching all four seasons a few days ago)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FullMetalJacket posted:

I swear somebody at Saab did this on purpose.

Wait until you get one with grillz, yo!

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I don't think I'm doing this right

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

DAMMIT.

There's been a B-1B sitting on the National Guard's ramp in Bangor, ME for the last couple of weeks due to maintenance problems. We've been eagerly awaiting its departure so we can get some good pics/video...and the bastard just left, 6:40-ish PM. He did, however, fly right over my house so I at least got to see the warming glow of those hot, hot cans. :D

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Mr. Showtime posted:

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW THIS AAARGH

I would've been there if I'd had the slightest idea :negative:

I didn't think there were any other aviation goons in the area, or I'd have shared the fact that it was here before now. Sorry! I'm just bummed that they took off at night. If it had been during the work day, we'd have had ample warning and the opportunity to get pretty up close and personal. This is only the second one I've seen here in the 7 years I've worked around the airport.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

The S-3 seemed to be okay despite never having a well-fitting role.

As someone who spent nine years of their life working on S-3s, I sometimes still have an overwhelming urge to find the engineer who thought putting 54 lovely proximity switches (13 of which were in the lovely wing fold system) throughout the airframe was a good idea, and then kick him in the balls repeatedly until he vomits them up.

(edit - apparently forgot a word)

Acid Reflux fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 3, 2014

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

The emergency locator won't work if it's underwater, however. I'm not familiar with the ones used on aircrafts, but I assume they'd float, assuming they broke free of the fuselage.

The ones used on ships are designed to float free of the ship when it sinks (There's a pressure-activated release) but even then they don't always float away for a number of reasons... And they're usually strapped to a railing outside the bridge, not inside the hull.

Aircraft ELT units are (hopefully) automatically activated by a G-sensing switch, and they will also float if they happen to find their way out of the fuselage. They also have a manual switch, so if you go down somewhat safely in the middle of nowhere, you can just grab the box and turn it on.

If you have a Cobham ELT96/ELT97 from the early production runs, you can also count on them spontaneously activating themselves for no real good reason. The SARSAT guys and I have spent a lot of quality time on the phone together.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I've installed a few Flightcell systems recently, and I cringe every time I have to do the op checks. Not because I'm afraid it won't work, but because the satellite delay and shittastic audio quality make it very difficult to, oh, communicate.

"Can you hear me now?"

"grrbblglglbblelelllecho echoecho echo echo echo"

"I'll call you back on the landline."

Even the military SATCOM stuff I occasionally poke around in is downright crap, if it's working at all.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

SATCOM is 4800baud right? Not going to have poo poo for sound quality on that.

Iridium is something like 2 to 10 kilobits depending on the equipment, but I think trying to talk in clicks and whistles at 4800 baud might actually make both parties more understandable.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Job Truniht posted:

If I keep believing the news sources, I'll start thinking they're talking about some kind of Quantum Jet that's in a superposition over a radius of 600 miles when they're not looking at it.

Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Linedance posted:

more primitive. I can't remember the name... starts with a "D" I think... Difference Engine? No, that's not it. Umm... Flux Valve? Doesn't start with a D. But it uses them. I honestly can't remember, it's been that long.

Nearly 24 hours too late, but that looks like an old-rear end AHRS displacement gyro.

The S-3 Viking's ASN-92 inertial measuring unit had a label on it that never failed to make me laugh. I can't remember the *exact* wording, but it was very close to "I am a sensitive gyroscopic device. I am worth my weight in gold and cost over 100,000 of your taxpayer dollars."

You needed the chuckle too, because that thing could be a righteous bastard to swap out.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

I tried Google image search to see if I could find a picture of it and came up with this instead.

Wow, that's really cool! I've never seen that picture before. That ejection system was 11 kinds of hosed up, and while I don't have any data to back up the anecdotes, it purportedly killed more people than it ever saved.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FullMetalJacket posted:

believe it or not, this was in a Saab:

Holy loving poo poo. I can't tell what it is specifically, but it beats anything I've ever seen in person - and we (by 'we' I mean 'the structures guys') are currently in the process of changing two full seat tracks right now due to some really, really awful corrosion. Holy loving poo poo.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

FMJ, out of curiosity - do you happen to work for an outfit in Springfield? (how's that for keeping it non-specific? :) )

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Ah, gotcha. I was honestly beginning to wonder if we might actually know each other, but probably not if you've never worked in Missouri. :)

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Changing seat tracks is the job card you get when you gently caress the owners daughter. And his wife. At the same time. And get them both pregnant. gently caress seat tracks.

The best part? In a Saab 340, the seat tracks are the longerons. 33 feet of critical structural integrity lovingly held in by a relatively insignificant number of fasteners.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

OK, I give up...what the gently caress is this thing? It screams "Antonov", but Google hasn't spit anything similar out at me yet.

Sorry for the crappy picture, we were out doing a compass swing and all I had with me was my tablet.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'll be damned, that's the one! Thanks :) We were just calling it "lumpy."

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Terrible day at work. Found a great big crack in the pax door.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

SCOTLAND posted:

A TCAS unit with Radio Altitude as the sole input wouldn't be compatible with the current system would it? I was under the impression that the barometric info was the primary factor, and the RA was more for the inhibit functions.

RAs based solely on Radio Alt would be horribly inaccurate in certain areas of varying terrain when you take a look at the lateral distances that can initiate an RA advisory.

You're correct. Transponder/pressure altimeter correlation checks are part of the FAR 91.411 certification process, and that same altitude data is also what TCAS uses for reporting.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Maybe I was just lucky but in all the squadrons I've been in the relationship was really good between maintenance and aircrew. Course I am Navy and we are all pretty chill bros (if you are a carrier aviator ;) ) :dukedog:

Seriously, I'm really surprised at some of these stories. I was a Viking mechanic for 9 years and also spent a little bit of time on H-60s, and I can't think of a single time where anyone was vying for power over the condition of an aircraft. If we told the crew it was down, it was down. If the crew told us it was broken, it was broken (even if it turned out to be operator error ;) ). Sometimes one of us was wrong, but nobody really ever got into pissing matches over it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

You can be mad at the front line TSA workers. The words "customer service"do not mean the same thing to them as they do to the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

buttcrackmenace posted:

Posting from seat 7A of a Saab 340.

Sucks.

All the NVH (and landing speeds) of a 727.

WTF, Seaborne.

I probably installed the GPS/FMS in that airplane. Did you land in the right place? :ohdear: