Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm not sure where Hawkwind fits into the grand order of prog, but I've been liking a bit of them lately. Spotify has a bunch of albums, but in they're in disarray, not to mention that they seem to love having identically named songs. I have Hawkwind on vinyl and it's OK., I love In Search of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido and Space Ritual. The next two don't seem to be there. I've tried a little bit of their later stuff (Choose Your Masques) and am not into it.

Is there anything else in their catalog similar to the early albums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've been poking around a bit with Barclay James Harvest's stuff on Spotify. Did they ever try to repeat the sound of Galadriel and Mocking Bird on anything else?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean, Relayer is alright (better than Tormato, worse than Drama) but Oceans has problem with pacing, the lyrics, the overall composition (and not dissonance, I mean the overall ideas in place), the production (putting Jon Anderson's vocals front and center and significantly higher than Howe and Squire is particularly egregious)... it's all just kind of unfocused and sounds, to my ears, like a bad parody of Yes. Like, it's an easy target, but it's also not very good. The only parts of it that I really enjoy are Alan White's drums (sometimes).

I refuse to rank Drama ahead of anything anywhere, simply because of Into the Lens. I mean, there's goofy Jon Anderson stuff (Don't Kill the Whale, for starters) but none of it quite dips to that point.

I've been resdiscovering some of their stuff lately. A Venture has a such a different feel to it, perhaps because it's so short and direct and Turn of the Century is gorgeous on vinyl.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just noticed that Hawkwind's The Hall of the Mountain Grill has been added to Spotify.

I didn't think anything could top In Search of Space. I was wrong.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, their first album is pretty good. I also like "Harold Land" and "I See You," which seems to have more improvisation than we're usually used to hearing on a Yes track.

I'm partial to Beyond and Before from the first album.

Time and a Word is pretty darn good, too. Astral Traveller and the song Time and a Word are among the best things they've ever done, though Banks was said to have hated the use of the orchestra on the latter.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I hadn't seen the video Yes made for Then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wiQqx278M

Steve Howe is the only taking this seriously and even he's miming Peter Banks' guitar parts. Chris Squire changed instruments with Tony Kaye and Bill Bruford spends half the video giggling at Squire's attempts (and the director zooms in on his hands at one point and he's not even pressing the keys).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm slightly disappointed that Starship Trooper wasn't on the setlists, but if And You and I is comparable to Yessongs, I'm all over this.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

From Yes' official Facebook:

quote:

It’s with the heaviest of hearts and unbearable sadness that we must inform you of the passing of our dear friend and Yes co-founder, Chris Squire. Chris peacefully passed away last night in Phoenix Arizona, in the arms of his loving wife Scotty.
For the entirety of Yes’ existence, Chris was the band’s linchpin and, in so many ways, the glue that held it together over all these years. Because of his phenomenal bass-playing prowess, Chris influenced countless bassists around the world, including many of today’s well-known artists. Chris was also a fantastic songwriter, having written and co-written much of Yes’ most endearing music, as well as his solo album, Fish Out of Water.
Outside of Yes, Chris was a loving h usband to Scotty and father to Carmen, Chandrika, Camille, Cameron, and Xilan. With his gentle, easy-going nature, Chris was a great friend of many … including each of us. But he wasn’t merely our friend: he was also part of our family and we shall forever love and miss him.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BigFactory posted:

He had pancreatic cancer, right?

Leukemia.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

spiralbrain posted:

If you want to listen to an awesome live prog album I recommend Genesis - Seconds Out. Still one of my favorite live albums of all time.

On the note of live albums, Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Noodle-y in spots, but great energy.

I'll also throw in Curved Air's Phantasmagoria, Genesis' Nursery Cryme and Hawkwind's The Hall of the Mountain Grill.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Saw Yes in Alpharetta.

Steve Howe is still amazing.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Blondie Chaplin has possibly been around the fringes of prog.

He apparently guested on a Rare Bird album and while not prog, was a major part of what's possibly the closest thing the Beach Boys had to it with Holland. It's hard to tell if he's done more as the closest thing to definitive on his career are Discogs listings.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I just finished listening to Big Generator all the way through for the first time in a while.

Ugh. There is absolutely no personality on that album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Re-listening to Lizard.

I love Cirkus. Lady of the Dancing Water is pretty good.

Some of Prince Rupert really fits Jon Anderson's voice, but when he's on the "burn a bridge" section, it's awkward. Anderson was just meant to sing nonsensical lyrics, I guess. Bolero fiddled around almost too long before it picked up and the rest of the B side is alright.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is inducting Yes and ELO.

The lineup going in for Yes is from Union, which means no Peter Banks. Which sucks, as Banks was so instrumental to helping them get off the ground. Time and a Word has become one of my favorite Yes albums (though Banks hated the orchestra).

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's me. I'm the one who keeps buying Rick Wakeman albums on vinyl.

But drat if Judas Iscariot might be the best thing he's ever done solo.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Not the cleanest Yes performance but it was great nonetheless, you can tell they were on cloud 9. I'm wondering if they'll be a reunion. I could picture Howe and Rabin switching off bass roles, or maybe they can bring on Geddy Lee full time now that Rush has stopped touring. Hell, bring in Neil Peart since Alan White said he was ready to retire. If they add in Lifeson it could be an awesome Rush/Yes hybrid album project and touring act.

https://twitter.com/GrumpyOldRick/status/850705130441801856

(I can see Anderson doing reunion stuff.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Besides Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar is probably the most "prog rock" musical. But that's probably because it was written to be a rock opera in the style of the late 60s psychedelic genre of the time, and the main riff to "heaven on their minds" is also very similar to Pink Floyd's "let there be more light" which is one of the reasons Roger Waters hates Andrew Lloyd Weber, the other reason is the pretty blatant Echoes riff ripoff (riffof?) on Phantom of the Opera, but to be fair it is just a descending and ascending chromatic scale so it's hard claim "ownership" of that.

Phantom is probably more closely a ripoff of Rick Wakeman's Judas Iscariot.

Earwicker posted:

there are tons of technically proficient musicians who don't read music. maybe it's more rare in the prog world but being able to read music is in no way necessary for being a very good instrumentalist (though it certainly helps a lot)

Speaking of, Bill Bruford has said that no one in Yes could read music until Wakeman joined.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Robert and Adrian sniping at each other on FB over Jakko butchering Indiscipline on tour.

Ade stated they'd had a deal not to use his lyrics and Robert basically said "I could go on about this but it would be unpleasant".

Does he repeat himself when under stress?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I never could get into the Haskell tracks on Lizard very much but I love the song Lizard itself, and Jon Anderson's vocals on it always made me wish he'd taken a turn as a regular KC vocalist

Cirkus and Happy Family work for me. Jon Anderson on Prince Rupert just proves that he was born to sing nonsensical lyrics.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

SgtScruffy posted:

Has anyone seen any of the variations of Yes that are touring? It looks like, near me, there is "Yes" which is the most modern incarnation, as well as "Anderson, Rabin, and Wakeman" which is more of a classic lineup. Is either one worth seeing at this point, or is it all a half-assed cash grab so you can say you saw Yes play a truncated version of one movement of Close to the Edge?

It looks like "Yes" is touring with Carl Palmer's ELP Experience, which also seems like it'd be cool except no one's there to see ELP for the drumming

Saw Yes in 2015 a couple of months after Squire's death.

Weird that the first voice you heard at that time for their shows was Anderson's - they opened with a recording on Onward. Howe was great that night and definitely the highlight of the show. Jon Davison was OK. Sherwood and White didn't do anything to stand out. They played Time and a Word, so that was nice. Tempus Fugit was very good. America was not.

Toto opened for them, so Yes was definitely the best band of the night.

Can't rate it as the worst half-assed cash grab I've ever seen, since I've seen Mike Love's Beach Boys, and that's a whole-assed cash grab.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

4d3d3d posted:

I didn't get into Yes until I was in my 20s but I still fall for the sentimental stuff. I think it's Jon Anderson, who is maybe the only guy capable of pulling off music like that. I even love a lot of his solo stuff, a lot of which is really saccharine. I mean, this is all great:

Olias of Sunhillow is one of my favorite albums.

Three Ships is just awful.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Didn't get anything in the vinyl thread, but does anyone know of any record shops in Tampa/St. Petersburg or even Gainesville or Tallahassee that might have a decent prog selection? I'm going that way in a couple of weeks to see Anderson/Rabin/Wakeman.

My semi-local source of cheap prog dried up and I though I can order it, I just want to dig through some bins and find some original King Crimson releases (and the ilk). There was a surprisingly decent source spot at an indoor flea market in Jacksonville (found a promo of Discipline), but Jacksonville isn't an option this time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman tonight, on one of their last stops on the tour. It was a choice between seeing them or King Crimson in two weeks. Figured I wouldn't have that many chances to see Wakeman, so this it was.

And You and I was amazing. Awaken was great, but And You and I was stunning. I really haven't seen that many live shows, but it was easily the best live song I've experienced in person.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It doesn't even matter whose lyrics they are, such as in the case of Prince Rupert Awakes.

Jon Anderson was just born to sing nonsense.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Strawbs is great. They're more folk rock than prog rock, but they did dabble quite a bit in prog in the 70s. A lot of people here may not like their less proggy stuff, but personally I like most of what they did. Check out Strawbs (1969), Dragonfly (1970), From the Witchwood (1971), Grave New World (1972), Bursting at the Seams (1973) Hero and Heroine (1974), Ghosts (1975) and Nomadness (1975). Those are probably their best albums. The Dave Cousins solo album "Two Weeks Last Summer" (1972) is also quite good (and features Rick Wakeman as well). Like most bands of that era, they kind of lost the spark in the late 70s so I'm not too familiar with the stuff after those. Their first album, "All Our Own Work" originally was released in 1966 when Sandy Denny was in the band. She's probably best known as the singer on Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore" and also the lead singer of Fairport Convention. That early stuff is pure folk and not proggy at all, but I like it.

The Hangman and the Papist is among my favorite ever songs. And if it weren't for the sound of Cousins' voice, I'd forget that Benedictus is by the same group and released just a few months apart.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the other hand, the Beach Boys. Through Holland, they had at least eight different folks sing lead vocals on an entire song, seven of which could actually sing. Then Brian and Dennis tore up their voices with cigarettes/drugs.

I dunno.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Not exactly prog, but the Commodore 64 had a program, The Incredible Musical Keyboard. One of the demos for the program was a portion of Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaGbJBAeqA

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Olias of Sunhillow has flute.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rick Wakeman's been adding stuff to a YouTube channel. Live performances, some albums, episodes of Gas Tank.

It's Wakeman's so it's nothing exquisite. The cheesiness of No Earthly Connection is right up my alley, so a live version of The Prisoner was fun to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcg5zY6Ivk&t=2355s

The album track from Two Sides of Yes that uses the main theme from Close to the Edge is pretty good, too.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I really like Larks Tongues in Aspic (Part II) on the USA album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Going to see King Crimson next week in Atlanta and I'm getting more hyped for it every day.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

King Crimson in Atlanta (Cobb) was great. Everything was crisp and loud, but especially so after intermission. Epitaph ranks up there with the best live versions of anything I've heard and the crowd went nuts for Indiscipline's intro.

Everybody seemed to heed the photo policy. I had seats up at the very top of the building and don't see how anybody in the orchestra section stood the noise as you could feel the drumming two rows from the top.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They did tell you that the show never ends.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Picked up a McKendree Spring album (Tracks) earlier this month at Goodwill. This is run of the mill light country pop, until the very end of the album where they drop this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9jTsJdfbeA

It's not great, but has a bit of a Curved Air vibe to it. YouTube recommended another song of theirs, God Bless the Conspiracy, which I like more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSbZdd-PF7o

Is anyone familiar enough with them to know if the rest of their stuff is the country pop, or more like these two cuts?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Noise Machine posted:

When I saw AWR four years ago (!?) I was so impressed that almost all of the songs were in their original keys

AWR did amazingly good versions of And You and I and Awaken.

Anderson's speaking voice seems a bit higher than it used to be.

Here he is speaking about Olias of Sunhillow in 1986
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Ni13zK8cU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

He's also cleaning out some slightly less expensive stuff.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacegrass posted:

https://youtu.be/BzvAoC_OPZU

I wish there were more progressive songs like this one. There probably is. Any help guys? I'm talking long, creative songs, sort of fast paced with maybe a saxophone.

Keep going with VDGG. Darkness has a prominent sax.

King Crimson's Red album sounds like it'd be up your alley. That VDGG cut actually has a similar feel to me to Genesis' Selling England By the Pound album, especially Dancing With the Moonlit Knight.

If you don't mind branching out into space prog, Hawkwind's Space Ritual. Brainstorm is my first suggestion.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spacegrass posted:

None of this stuff does it for me. I've found a few gems; like 'In the Cage' by Genesis; a couple of Nectar songs and that VDGG track, but after all of this searching my favorite Genesis song is still 'Land of Confusion' and my favorite Peter Gabriel song is 'Sledgehammer'. I guess my attention span sucks or I'm just not looking hard enough.

A few more suggestions, to try to help you identify if there's a certain variety of prog you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03m5kEkxSa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwpB6b6mhUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqhDir7mSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv5FVrUwjEI

(Suggesting another from King Crimson because they're all over the map)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQuAboEvags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y019L45P45Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Occasionally I like to Google the combination of "Tony Levin" and "hair". Tony himself has a few shots on his website making fun of his style when he was younger.