Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Duck
Mar 17, 2009

I'm not a duck.
Perseus is unlikable. Most of the movie he spends sulking and pouting about being a demigod and has as much emotional depth as a tide pool. The film's makers tried to make him moody and misunderstood, but Perseus comes off as a sullen crybaby you hope gets stabbed in the back of the head by one of the more capable characters. Toward the end he does show some spirit. Unfortunately it was more like a lunkhead quarterback spouting off motivational platitudes to a J.V. team than anything heartfelt or a result of personal growth.

Sam Worthington, he was Jake Sully in Avatar, as Perseus isn't given much to work with but neither does he try to add anything. Every corny line is delivered in a mumbled, monotone voice like he's embarrassed. His reactions have two settings: muted or overblown. Both betray a void of emotion and involvement from the actor. Without a big, blue CGI substitute, Worthington can't stand on his own two feet in this movie either.

How about the villain played by Ralph Fiennes? He's certainly more interesting and has more to offer. He speaks in an evil, harsh whisper, appears and disappears in a black mist, and killed the protagonist's family. You'll be forgiven if you thought this was Lord Voldemort instead of Hades, god of the underworld.

Clash of the Titans is unimaginative and lacks any of the fun the original has. The plot is convoluted, derivative, and much of it just plain stupid. It's like they took the first draft from the disinterested screenwriters who wrote this flop and decided it was all they needed. There are scenes so goofy and dumb, I openly laughed at how ham handed and amateurish they are. Specifically, the scene when Zeus rapes Perseus' biological mom and Acrisius is struck by a thunderbolt.

There are more points I like to make along that line, but I'll keep this a review and not a discussion. I'll just say that if there's a movie you and your friends just have to go into a theater and mock, make it Clash of the Titans. Everyone else who values their time and money, avoid this insulting film. At least Gemma Arterton who plays Io, the ageless cocktease of the gods, is sexy.

One star. gently caress this movie.

Not a Duck fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU