Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

number one pta fan posted:

I have an application that I want to run on a remote server. I've used dedicated servers in the past, but I stumbled across Scaleway and I really like the idea of paying for x hours of access to a lot of power as I need it over paying for the full month of hours for much less on a dedicated server. Problem is Scaleway's volumes cap appear to cap at 150gb and I need a single volume substantially larger than that.

Where should I look?

I basically want to stick XFCE on it, install one application and x2go into it a few evenings a week.

Scaleway is cheap because their cpus don’t have power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
built a wedding website on my scaleway vps that i use for my media downloading and plex. i am debating if i should fire up another scaleway vps or go with digital ocean

downside with scaleway is that they use a piece of lettuce as a CPU but so far not experiencing any issue with speed when using it with cloud flare.

any recommendations?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
I have installed apiscp on a centos virtual machine (servercheap.net), i was hoping to use this for personal web and email hosting,

is there a guide how to configure email correctly so that i dont join a spam bot network?

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

DarkLotus posted:

Heard a rumor GoDaddy is dropping email support on some(all) hosting plans in favor of selling O365 instead.
Anybody a GoDaddy customer and get an email you want to share with the group?

I dont think anyone will respond due to the shame of being a godaddy customer.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Not sure if this is the best thread for this question but it seems to fit so I'm going to ask.

I get a wordfence report once a week, and for the past couple of weeks I've had several attempts from people trying to login to my wordpress website with my admin user account login name (it is not admin). Not sure how they figured it out, but its a little disconcerting. It isn't a ton of login attempts, like maybe 10 a week, but still, I don't like to see it.

Is this something I should actually be worried about? I do have 2 factor turned on to login, so if they somehow get the password they still shouldn't be able to get in. I don't think I can change the user name, though if I had to I suppose I could create a different user account and just make that one the admin. Thoughts?

Wordpress is one of those apps that you have to be on top of, you have to keep up with updates and you need to make sure the updates does not cause things to break.

just make sure your password is unique compared to other sites, everyone knows our password these days.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

PleasantDilemma posted:

Another question about switching email providers. Is there a tool to copy my existing emails to a new host? IMAP to IMAP? Google brings up guides that say my mail will stay in my client which is true, but is like to consolidate on one server.

https://github.com/imapsync/imapsync

It’s a very simple tool that you can run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

PleasantDilemma posted:

Trip report: of my 19k mails it copied 15k and had an "append error" on the rest. Will dig into getting the last over but this is exactly the kind of tool that I was looking for, thanks.

run it again, it will skip the 15K and continues chugging along