Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Senerio posted:

I think Bother Christmas was the best translation, but at the same time, your average american kid might not know that Santa Claus is Father Christmas.

4 syllables vs 3 syllables for a musical episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'd say watch 13 Ghosts just for context/reference. There's the occasional nod to it in later series.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Does Zombie island and the similar movies count cuz those were great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DTV Movie Scooby Doo has its highs and its lows. They're generally okay, though.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hihohe posted:

Does Zombie island and the similar movies count cuz those were great.

Yeah,Zombie Island was pretty good. Cyber Chase is pretty meh,on the other hand. I mean, Spindly Johhny the Phantom Virus is not even remotely threatening,it takes forever for the interesting part (the computer game stuff) to actually happen-basically,it's :mediocre:

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost, and the one with Aliens are the big ones I remember liking.

Also both Scooby Doo and WWE movies are hilarious.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Senerio posted:

Zombie Island, Witch's Ghost, and the one with Aliens are the big ones I remember liking.

The one with Tim Curry was also quite entertaining. And now I've gotta track down those WWE ones-me and my friend wrote them off as lazy cash-ins.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

The one with Tim Curry was also quite entertaining.

That was Witch's Ghost. It also had The Hex Girls.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

That was Witch's Ghost. It also had The Hex Girls.

Ah,I see. I believe he was in another one as well-Goblin King,I think?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah yes! I had forgotten Goblin King!

Mask of the Blue Falcon is almost ruined by how much of a party pooper Velma, the epitome of cartoon nerd, is during the whole convention. Like, girl. Seriously?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I also appreciated the Live Action Cartoon Network films. They're not high art, but they're entertaining. They even had a good actor or two in there.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Senerio posted:

I also appreciated the Live Action Cartoon Network films. They're not high art, but they're entertaining. They even had a good actor or two in there.

Better than the ones with Fred Willard and Freddie Prinze,Jr. at least.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The best thing about the first live-action movie was the weed jokes they managed to sneak in, including naming Shaggy's love interest Mary Jane.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The first live action cartoon network one had a fun tribute to the cartoons too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fex8z37IcGE

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really like the latest series of Scooby movies, but I don't really know how to refer to the series aside from the fact that the main characters have no sclera.

The direct to video/tv movies go through weird phases. There was another series that was mainly defined by the gang going globe-trotting and tying in with What's New Scooby Doo stylistically.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Senerio posted:

By "Aliens", do you mean the one in which the monster was inspired by the Ridley Scott and James Cameron movies, or the one in which extraterrestrials were a real thing? Because if it is the former, I can say that I didn't like it much.

I really liked Camp Scare as well, it had some scary monsters, a relatively good plot, Mark Hammil and some nice secondary characters.

VolticSurge posted:

Matthew Lillard is much better as the voice of animated Shaggy than he was as live-action Shaggy, that's true.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The latter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There are also a good amount of good songs throughout it all. It may just go to show that if you keep trying in bulk, you'll eventually come out with some hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYLeEuwh4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tws6R26H8WY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7IgDXmOw-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkIMdoAdNtM

There's something great sometimes about just enjoying some nice little songs that have no possibility of greater cultural importance because they're nested inside a kid's cartoon. Phineas and Ferb had a similar deal.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Witch's Ghost had one of the stupidest Scooby-Doo lines ever written for any iteration of the show (and that is seriously going the distance): "You're one-quarter pagan!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Jesus Christ, Cyber Chase had no idea what a video game was, didn't it? It barely knew what a computer virus was.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Jesus Christ, Cyber Chase had no idea what a video game was, didn't it? It barely knew what a computer virus was.

Yep,really reeked of being written by old men who don't know what them newfangled "Computors" are, with maybe a little touch of

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love that it thought that video game characters were sentient and could just decide to not finish the game, as if the game is perpetually happening even if no one is playing.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

VolticSurge posted:

My favorite gag from Looney Tunes Back in Action is Shaggy and Scooby ragging on Willard and Prince on how bad they were in those movies

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Senerio posted:

Frankencreepy is legit good too. I think that one was made around the same time as Mystery Inc.

Waffleman_ posted:

I love that it thought that video game characters were sentient and could just decide to not finish the game, as if the game is perpetually happening even if no one is playing.

Isn't that like the central conceit of Wreck-It Ralph?

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's something great sometimes about just enjoying some nice little songs that have no possibility of greater cultural importance because they're nested inside a kid's cartoon. Phineas and Ferb had a similar deal.

Well, Phineas and Ferb did have this thing which exists for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djt5oO8Ms3M

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 23, 2016

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

You people better not be forgetting Scooby Doo meets Kiss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4G0H3LY2o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18635I-x9WY

I mean, Kiss versus Galactus guest starring Scooby Doo doesn't seem like it should be the best thing ever, but it kinda is.

Also this is a pretty sweet opening sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5dAsqByqU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked the first live-action Scooby Doo just because it didn't take itself seriously. It was like a kid friendly version of Jumpstreet.

It's weird how almost every month there's a Scooby doo discussion.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Well, Phineas and Ferb did have this thing which exists for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djt5oO8Ms3M

What the hell? The live footage was barely appropriate or synched to the music.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

And now I've gotta track down those WWE ones-me and my friend wrote them off as lazy cash-ins.

You'll find that they're very high quality cash-ins. It's hard to not enjoy a cartoon that doesn't break kayfabe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
KISS is a terrible band and a horrible cash cow for Gene Simmons, but goddamn it, I want Scooby and Shaggy learning how to use demon flame as an actual thing that is referenced or joked about in the future. There is something magical about batshit 70s metal finally being able to be all mystical wizard nonsense. Also KISS learned alot from magical girl anime and their transformations show it.

But I'd rate Be Cool as like 10th best Scooby Doo, slightly better than the originals. But I'd rather watch Scooby Dum nonsense, short and sweet 13 ghosts, the late 80s movies where shaggy becomes a werewolf/teaches a girls school for monsters, the 2000s show, some of the better modern movies, Pup and then Mystery Inc in that order. I won't shed a tear when Be Cool dies and the Scooby Cycle continues on until the most horrible thing happens and Frank Welker dies.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 24, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

It's... ambitious. Vincent Price is in it!
Not exactly a guarantee of quality. :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Yep,really reeked of being written by old men who don't know what them newfangled "Computors" are, with maybe a little touch of

I wonder whats the worst example of "kids like videogames right, make a thing about videogames" ever?

Are You Afraid of the Dark had an episode that for some reason had pinball as the thing that sucked the protag in.

and then there's "The Boom Crew". A cartoon about a Burger King diverse group of friends that got sucked into a game they made. Also hippity hoppity. Kids like that (black) newfangled talking music right? Add some of that. It got cancelled after the pilot.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Agreed on both accounts. Still cute.

Looks like the show's jumping to Netflix for the U.S. release now, all of season 1 drops this Valentine's and Season 2 will drop around June. I don't like to get too into how draconian most animation networks are at trying to put out shows besides the infinite money makers, but boy it's nice to go from Nick's rubic cube of a release schedule to a simple "the show is out and you can watch it whenever you want." release.
Is it Fre/Eng like Lolirock and wakfu?

Zweihander01 posted:

You'll find that they're very high quality cash-ins. It's hard to not enjoy a cartoon that doesn't break kayfabe.

If anything it sort of goes as far as the opposite direction as you can. John Cena is one pair of red underwear away from being Superman.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 25, 2016

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

My memory of Scooby Doo and the 13 Ghosts as a kid was watching a marathon of it. About one ghost was being caught per episode, so I thought it was a miniseries. I'd heard of shows with five seasons that ended without the writers having an ending for the series, because they wanted to stretch it out another season, then the executive hammer came down suddenly. The 13 in the name and the one-per-episode really led me to believe there was a beginning, middle, and an end coming up.

I had no idea what happened until today. I thought I had to have missed something. I was also a little confused as to where Fred and Velma were, because they didn't mention what they were off doing.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is it Fre/Eng like Lolirock and wakfu?

Just English I think. I can't check right now cause the Christmas Special isn't on UK Netflix

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Of course it's region locked :cripes:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Of course it's region locked :cripes:

It's basically a substitute to Nickelodeon in the US, which may or may not be the party that started all this just by wanting to dump the rights away. Every other region has a decent distributor (Disney, mostly), so the numbers are good in those regions and don't need a desperate shake-up.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If you want to count Disney Channel only as decent distro with a schedule only slightly more enviable than Yokai Watch's then sure. Why not?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I think 13 Ghosts is weird in that it seems like an outgrowth of Red Shirt Shaggy movies. Like a bunch of execs decided shaggy and Scooby were the Stars and they could ditch the rest of Mystery Incorporated.

I also like how much overlap there is between the first Live Action Scooby film and the first Modern DTV Scooby film (Zombie Island). Both show the team drifting a bit and doing their own thing, before finding an excuse to bundle them up again.

I really miss the way we would randomly get DTV stuff during holidays. You'd be home all week and suddenly Yogi and the Spruce Goose/Flintstones meet the Jetsons/The WWF Cartoon where Hogan thinks he time travelled pop up and capture your attention.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

I also like how much overlap there is between the first Live Action Scooby film and the first Modern DTV Scooby film (Zombie Island). Both show the team drifting a bit and doing their own thing, before finding an excuse to bundle them up again.
The movie was more mean-spirited than Zombie Island about it though. In the former, they were tricked back together after a nasty break up, in Zombie Island Fred reunites everyone for Daphne's birthday, after the team was disbanded due to the lack of genuine supernatural events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

X_Toad posted:

after the team was disbanded due to the lack of genuine supernatural events.

"Well guys, all these ghosts keep turning out to be crooks and criminals. We've stopped half a billion dollars in fraud and embezzlement, but we've found zero ghosts. Sooooo, time to hang it up."