Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Ok, what's this I hear about Elmo's puppeteer apparently having a sexual relationship with a teenage boy?!

Elmo's puppeteer is a gay man who had a relationship some years ago with, who he says, was a man of legal age. However, the accuser says he was 16 at the time of the relationship. Sesame Street looked into it, and they found no evidence of an under-age relationship ever occurring. The only thing they found was that he was using company computers to send e-mails, wrote him up for misconduct use of the Internet, and then allowed him to take his own personal short leave. They didn't fire him or anything like that, just allowed to take some time off before people tried to drag his name through the mud.

Long short story: Sesame Street ruled he did nothing wrong and that it was false accusations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

It is a loud obnoxious fuckbeast of a cartoon.

What do you think Disney would do with it?

Show a new episode every single week while not giving us a new Gravity Falls until maybe December.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Rest assured, this owns. I don't even watch this generation of Power Rangers, but holy poo poo, this is cool. I knew I was in for something special when they did Abbey Road at the beginning, and the green ranger didn't have his boots on.

Also, holy poo poo. Bulk? Is he still doing this poo poo? Or did they just bring him in for this?

edit: Wikipedia tells him that he just came back to the show in 2011 after being gone 1999, and that he does some animation direction here and there. So, it's cool he's landing work. Also, he's best friends with Jason Narvy (Skull), so that's pretty :3:.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 3, 2012

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I watch this every time it's posted and each time I'm a little sad the MMPR team doesn't get more focus. But then I realize that it's just another season of this stuff over in Japan, not some grand beginning to the franchise.

Also, holy crap, some of those Ranger designs would've translated terribly to American audiences. Because I don't think every one of those incarnations has made it's way to the States, right?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

The Adventure Time folks submitted this title card for the same reason. What's most surprising is that it got beyond the storyboard phase and the CN people actually had to reject a completed episode. I guess their s&p practices were different back then.

I... that title card... I think something inside of me just broke.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Isn't it an almost universal consensus that the Simpsons went bad after [season I grew up watching]?

The Simpsons didn't become bad because you grew up, The Simpsons became bad because it became bad.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

There many things wrong with "SheZow", but promoting transgenderism is not one of them.

readingatwork posted:

I think the worst part of all of this is going to be liberals loving the show just to spite conservatives. You can already see it starting to happen in the comments sections of various news sites:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/06/01/1213068/--SheZow-Happens-to-drive-conservatives-crazy

:ughh:

Oh my god, that post is hilarious. I especially loved the "I hope it's on PBS" part. Yes, it would work great there. Curious George, Thomas the Tank Engine, Sesame Street, and then a preteen-aimed action cartoon.

edit: Well would you look at that, in one feel swoop I find myself hating both conservatives and liberals.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 5, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

I'm gonna be "that guy" who loved PPG and has made around 400 friends because of MLP and say you don't know what you're missing if you're not reading the comics. :aaaaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDSij2MMaM

inb4bannedforMLPshitandmypastreputationforbeingneckdeepinthisfandom

Frankly, though, I was doomed the moment I involved http://zone-archive.com/ in my TwilightXSpike game and a lot of this fandom's bad reputation can be blamed on me. Mix in a helping of love/hate relationship and unrequited sexual attraction and you get two very busy animators doing their best to attempt to ignore the other one exists until all this Skullgirls poo poo blows over.

Also, I have some iiiiinteresting facts about Craig McCracken, Lauren Faust, Tara Strong, Andy Price, Katie Cook, and John de Lancie but it falls purely into the poo poo "I'm not supposed to know but learned because I really really loving needed some advice and help with the above problem" category.

Well, thanks for making me feel bad about getting stoned with my wife and watching an episode of MLP before bed.

Also, liking PPG doesn't make you "that guy". Being a loving weirdo does.

Doodles posted:

Can we shift the discussion to how the Aquabats show is bizarrely awesome? Or "Dan vs.", which isn't really a kid's show but still loving funny?

Where can I watch Aquabats show online? I don't get The Hub and I know this show is something I'd lose my poo poo over.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 17, 2013

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

Now see, this is a lot like She-zow where I want to be like, "oh yeah cool great job guys really paving the way there" but it's such a lovely loving show that I can't bring myself to care at all.

Regardless of the show's quality, it's a progressive step forward. From what the article says it seems like the characters will just be parents who happen to be a lesbian couple. This is good because it'll show children at an early age that same-sex couples are no different from their families, they have play-dates, they have kids of their own, and they engage in story-lines that are devoid of mentioning the fact that they are gay.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Hopper posted:

Not sure this is the right thread to ask but:

I used to always watch The Wonder Years way back when.
Now I have an urge to watch it again.
Is there a way to buy the seasons on DVD?
The only thing I found is amazon.com direct video.

Were the seasons never released on DVD?

The entire series is on Netflix, at least. I haven't watched enough to know what goes on in the term of music-rights in it. But there you go.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I couldn't believe it when I read that it's been almost 20 years since Alvin and the Chipmunks were on TV. I realized then that it was the movies that had poisoned a property that I enjoyed watching as a kid.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I just don't think you can expect to bring back every kid from every trip to the Roman Empire.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Knuckles looks weird and Sonic looks like he's probably full of attitude. Why do they keep making Sonic cartoons? None of them ever live up to the badass 90's one. I can still sing the theme song in its entirety.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Netflix has the first two seasons of Digimon Adventure both subbed and dubbed. Hulu has just the first season. Or maybe it's the other way around, but I think I'm right.

I just finished a binge of seasons 1 and 2, and it wasn't bad. It's interesting to watch it because it came out at a time when anime was so cut for young audiences that things could really change. A character would "die", but the music and character's reactions would seem like they did. Also, watch the occasional episode of the Japanese subbed version after you watch the episode in English. It's cool to see the differences sometimes. And I will admit, there was the occasional line that got a laugh out of me.

That show tackled some issues. It had adoption, divorce, sibling death. Digimon died, yo. Though, really they would be reborn later.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sockser posted:

I've always been curious about the super-poo poo-tier anime that Cartoon Network would air at 6am just to see what stuck. Bedamon and Bakugan and Beyblade and there were more that didn't succeed and it was just really loving weird to me. Obviously trying to catch the magic of Pokemon but without promoting it as far as I could tell. Just put these things on in the wee hours of the morning and uhhh it happened?

For a while my wife had work super-early and when I got back from taking her I would always check out those same lovely animes. None of them made any sense and the only real differences was whatever the show's signature collectable was. The one I remember most was Bakugan and, even after the surprising amount of episodes I saw, that I had no loving clue how that game was supposed to work.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Seriously contemplating breaking out the Shezow pilot to make both shows look good in comparison.

Doodles posted:

Followed by Hammerman to make Shezow look acceptable.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Annoying Orange instead of commercial breaks.

I look forward to reading your suicide note.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

For some reason I decided to make "Cracked" my preferred parody magazine. Though it seems like both modern-Mad, and modern-Cracked have aged into the same hit-or-miss quality.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Isn't Cracked almost entirely lists of things on their web-page now? All I ever see of Cracked nowadays are links to "5 REASONS YOUR DOG IS MORE SEXIST THAN YOU THINK HE IS" or something.

That is literally what it is now, and a few Photoshop contests. Though it's still good reading from time to time for good movie and comic trivia, and the like. It's come a long way from being the poor-man's Mad and making KKK jokes in their Casper parody.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Is this part of the general wacky-fying going on over at Cartoon Network? Because I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

Johnny Test is definitely not the standard for CN. Sure, it suckage may count for a great deal. But there's Adventure Time, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Uncle Grandpa, and Stephen Universe. There's also Teen Titans Go!, which moves almost as fast as Johnny Test, but is a much, much better show. The new Loony Toons Show is really good too, when they want to air it. And while I'm on a ramble, find a way to watch the two-season Scooby Doo: Mystery Inc., it's amazing.

So... I guess my point is, if you can wade through all the cheap programming like Johnny Test and whatever Lego series is on, you can find some pretty good stuff.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Aquaman is the king of the sea and the sea has a queen, they are both in love, sit together in the throne room and are a couple.
But they're not married, why would you think this, the NEW 52! is cool and hip with the kids after all.

Nothing's more rad than domestic partnership.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I will never, never, never get used to calling him Eggman.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I can't explain it, but the premise and picture of We Bare Bears makes me think of a mix of 2 Stupid Dogs and Regular Show. I hope that I'm right.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

well, this just started getting awfully strange. I'm at ep. 14, the mystery solvers convention, what the gently caress? :psyduck:

Oh my God, that is an AMAZING episode. My wife had no idea who the Funky Phantom was and my impression was lost on her.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

I bought the complete series of Street Sharks today at Kmart(it was 5 bucks don't judge me) and I've never bought anything made by Cookie Jar Entertainment before. Do all of their complete series DVDs literally just have the DVD case and then the DVDs are just in disc envelopes sitting in a slot in the case? Because if so I will probably never buy anything from them again.

I do not believe that Street Sharks is deserving of more presentation than that.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Well I guess I'll eat my words. I didn't know Netflix even got much use as an educational service, which is why I thought bringing the show back on Netflix specifically rather than PBS or... some other distribution I can't think of was silly. But I guess if people actually do use Netflix to show kids educational content instead of regular ol' cartoons, well then good on them for coming back, I guess.

You're also forgetting that, besides being educational, Magic School Bus was just an awesome show. It's definitely a perfect mix of education and entertainment.

Since we'll have to accept the horrible fact that Lily Tomlin might not be the Friz again, who would be a good substitute? (:rimshot:) My guess? Maya Rudolph.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Yeah, sad news but I figured it was a matter of time after that dust-up a few weeks back about how he'd suddenly gone missing (then not) and only his wife knew where he was or something. I had no idea he was in such poor health.

I know. It really feels like his work on Mystery Inc. wasn't that long ago.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah but his dad was Casey which is a nice casting gag.

Yep. And it seems like the Mystery Inc cast are the new regulars since they're all back for whatever new series is starting up. Of course, part of this is obvious, and that's Frank Welker as Fred. Since he's literally been the voice of Fred in every single piece of Scooby-Doo animation except for "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo". That is a fact that I find loving bonkers.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Gaunab posted:

So you guys got any shows you want to recommend?

SheZow

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Amazing World of Gumball, season three of Korra, teen titans go (which has improved as it continues to let go of all decency)Mickey Mouse shorts and Wander over Yonder.

And go watch the new Ninja Turtles cartoon over on Nick too.

Sithsaber posted:

Isn't that the show about the super hero cross dresser?

Yes. I was being "ironic". Don't watch SheZow.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

gently caress Ben 10

Ps. And gently caress the target demographic and the retards who enjoy poo poo meant for tweens. Those little shits will learn to love nostalgia they'll never understand and they'll thank us for it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. "gently caress Ben 10"? gently caress you, my friend. Stop making GBS threads up all the cartoon threads I look at. I'm glad you're not the one in charge of CN.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

Are you seriously telling me that you'd rather have a million filler episodes created by man of action instead of rad randomness and soda six packs? CN should be given to Pendleton Ward, not the backer of generator rex.

Now I know you're crazy. When you're doing a 25+ episodes a season show like Ben 10, some of those are filler episodes. And that's okay. Because it's a children's action/adventure cartoon. Every episode of every cartoon you like has a ton of filler episodes. "Rad randomness" would become very unenjoyable if that was the only thing available.

I want my own Omnitrex. :shrug:

edit:

Acquire Currency! posted:

My issue is you calling Regular Show and Gumball bad.

WHAT?! That has gotta be worth a probation.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I would like to apologize for setting off the poo poo-powder keg that is sithsaber

Power keg? Sithsaber is more like a dirty-bomb, just emitting a constant radiation that induces nausea and head-aches and, over time, death. The Punchsport Pagoda is like the only subforum I look at that he hasn't poo poo up.

That being said, I'd to discuss how, for the most part, that Ben 10 was pretty cool. All the aliens had pretty rad designs. And, as someone that always longed to be some kind of "chosen one" as a kid, and this show definitely hit a trigger in my brain.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Weird, I was actually getting tired of the Chosen One stuff by the time Ben 10 came out. But those were still some pretty rad alien designs.

Especially the ghost one and the resulting storyline where the alien escapes the Omnitrix and Ben gains forms that, just happen to, exactly resemble Universal Studios Monsters.

edit: And I just remembered that, in the lovely live-action, made for CN, Ben 10 movie loving Lee Majors plays the grandpa. Which is pretty awesome.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 19, 2014

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Merge the AT and Korra threads.

Merge all the forums into a singular thread.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

If you don't think Adventure Time isn't full of subtext and double-meanings, then I don't know what to tell you, son.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Here's a list of what Sithsaber has said he doesn't like:

King of the Hill
Regular Show
Gumball
Squidbillies
Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Sometimes, opinions CAN be wrong.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

raditts posted:

Going back to watch episodes like that is funny because you think the internet created these people but all it really did was release them upon the world.

Well, the proto-nerds of the Internet were the reason Tiny Toons was canceled.

Sithsaber posted:

Ps. We get it Mr.Ar, you and I hate each other. You hate me because you dislike my tangents, and I hate people who post, "don't post".

Yes, that's exactly it. Let me make sure to note the sarcasm I'm using.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

WHAT? You need to work on your reading comprehension; I like Regular Show, love Gumball and like the seasons of ATHF that weren't revolting for the sake of being revolting.

Well then you need to stop saying "bromination" because it's a stupid, stupid term that I don't know what it means.

Also, what a minute. gently caress you. You don't like King of the Hill. That's all that needs to be said to make any point you have about anything invalid.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

axleblaze posted:

To this day I still feel bad for Tress MacNeille. She was basically one of the first people outside the furry community that was exposed to the full awfulness of said community.

I often wonder if I had been a mid-twenties man-child, like I am now, during the early '90s how much I would've been aware of all that junk going on. I mean, part of the problem was that there wasn't an entire half of the Internet dedicated to furry porn and message boards, so all these people were hanging out in AOL chatrooms where kids were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

'https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/yYyCTqXSTnylBNqCcNf17npn9eErbJHqLz49wSuMXVr-qI2z5l6SRU9NXpEZINxjFznRBgGrD9JWRQ3M6mfrcFODiLQ6bAiPmM9EXIYy5XOHMietS-tvv6m8NQ

something somethingEarl

First off, wat? Secondly, are you talking about My Name Is Earl?