Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

HypnoCabbage posted:

I believe we have stumbled upon a new rule of television:

Pro skateboarders + Animation = Terrible, terrible poo poo
Also, the show's main selling point is that it's created by Rob Dyrdek (the second biggest douche in the universe, just behind Daniel Tosh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It seems that Cartoon Network cribbed some notes off of Nickelodeon, because according to voice actor Andy Merrill, they're starting a 90's nostalgia block too:

quote:

I just thought some people would be excited about Brak and Zorak returning for the network's 20th anniversary.

@RevNickie Friday, March 30 at 8 eastern on Cartoon Network.....not Adult Swim.

On the CN backdoor schedule:

quote:

March 30th:

Cow and Chicken - Happy Meat
The Powerpuff Girls - Meat the Beat Alls
Fosters Home For Imaginary Friends - Sight for Sore Eyes
Johnny Bravo - Johnny Bravo Meets Adam West
Dexter's Laboratory - Star Spangled Sidekicks

Really hoping George Lowe is attached to this to make a full Space Ghost C2C reunion :allears:

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 16, 2012

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

Does anyone have a list of what episodes of what shows they showed on Adult Swim? I totally didn't have time to watch TV last night, I'm pretty sad about that now.
12:00 - Bleach (NEW) - "Episode 247"
12:30 - Dragon Ball Z - "Save the World"
01:00 - Gundam Wing - "Heero, Distracted by Defeat"
01:30 - Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki - "Z"
(Tenchi went a little past the timeslot so the times from here on out are approximate)
02:15 - Outlaw Star - "Maze of Despair"
02:45 - The Big O - "Roger the Negotiator"
03:15 - Yu Yu Hakusho - "A Reason to Fight"
03:45 - Blue Submarine No. 6 - "Blues"
04:15 - Trigun - "Paradise"
04:50 - Astro Boy - "The Birth of Astro Boy"
05:20 - Gigantor - "Sting of the Spider!"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Neo Helbeast posted:

Can someone explain to me what the hell is going on in Young Justice? There was a 5 year time skip because...? Why does speedy think he is a clone? Why does superboy have a flying tricycle? It's mostly the time skip one I don't get.
The current Speedy was a clone created by the Light to infiltrate the Justice League, with the real Speedy stuck in a Cadmus stasis chamber. The flying tricycle is just the sphere from "Bereft." The time skip is just there to create a whole bunch of unanswered questions for Season 2.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
They couldn't have used that money to make something else, like Plastic Man or something? The New Teen Titans shorts are okay and cute in small doses, but I can't imagine a full 30 minute series of them being anything but irritating.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Srice posted:

EMH could certainly have gotten a worse fate. 52 episodes is better than what a lot of shows get. Why, that's twice what Spectacular Spider-man got :smith:

Hopefully the writers took into account that the original order was only for two seasons and pull off a good ending.
Doubt it. From what I've heard, Jeph managed to poo poo up the back half of Season 2 as well.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Robotnik DDS posted:

I don't think it's secretly good I just think it is good.

But I mean like the great majority of shows that started out on adult swim it is basically love it or hate it with no middle ground. It also seems like a terrible idea to try to make money based on the idea that it is a thing that kids want to watch in the afternoon.
Wow, I didn't realize there were other people that genuinely liked that show. I loved the show and most of Paper Rad's other output, but I do get why most everyone else hated it. I think it's mostly a Tim and Eric type thing where either you enjoy intentionally "bad" humor or you don't. Honestly, I'm really impressed that CN actually greenlighted and aired the show in the first place.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Didn't Jabberjaw have a really dark premise? I think I remember something about how the surface world was too overpolluted, so mankind was forced to live underwater.

I've never seen that purple gorilla on Cartoon Network though.
It's Grape Ape.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I thought the animation was surprisingly really good for a movie-to-TV show, but Hiccup's replacement voice is really awful. He sounds like a balding middle-aged man.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

horriblePencilist posted:

"Wait a minute. If you're working on Steven Universe, and I'm working on Bravest Warriors, then who is..."
*in unison* "UH-OOOOOOH!!!"

But yeah, Rebecca quit the show, but not before writing pretty much all of Season 4. Maybe Pen still finds time for the show? I dunno.
I think Adam Muto is overseeing a lot of the production now.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Zombie Samurai posted:

My two-year-old daughter wanted to watch a little TV before dinner last night, so we flipped around and ended up on something called Johnny Test. It was, without question, the most spastic loving show I have ever seen. Everyone gives their lines as fast as humanly possible, every motion is coupled with a whip-crack sound effect, and no scene lasts longer than like 5 seconds. Is this part of the general wacky-fying going on over at Cartoon Network? Because I'm pretty sure I don't like it.

That show has been on for years and is inexplicably really popular. Johnny Test is one of those few shows I can't even hate-watch, because just looking at still frames of it is enough to piss me off.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
One thing that I think probably contributed to BTB failing the most is the animation. For GL: TAS, Giancarlo Volpe said that the use of CG made things too prohibitively expensive for the show to continue (I remember that he tweeted that the CG made an episode of GL twice as expensive as an episode of YJ). Although reusing models was easy, every new object took a lot of time and money to render. I assume that this hurt BTB even more so, considering they didn't even have a space setting to excuse simplistic, odd backgrounds and character models.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

McSpanky posted:

How does that explain the new Transformers series, then? That show changed locations and added new characters on a regular basis. I suppose it also did a pretty solid toy line though, as well.

Not only that, but The Hub probably has higher tolerance for a flagship title going over-budget. Cartoon Network doesn't really need any of the DC shows, and that gives less room for error than an original (CN Studios) production or a cheap acquisition.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think people give Snyder way too much poo poo he doesn't deserve. While he greenlighted some live action stuff, he's also responsible for CN having worthwhile original programming again. I don't really blame DC Nation on him either because there's a whole convoluted mess of things responsible for that block imploding.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Omniverse Simian is a masterpiece. Back in UAF he was literally Spidermonkey without the omnitrix symbol and now you know he's a quick-money scheme dude just by looking.

But the best part of the episode had to be Xtreme Ben signing the planet. The pile of permanent markers had me rolling.

That design looks familiar

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Well Canada is just the low-rent version of America, in general

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ConanThe3rd posted:

Urgh, and what they're replacing it with...

I mean, why not just cut to the test patern if that nonsense is what you're going to slap on instead?

The FCC has requirements that broadcast network devote a certain amount of time towards educational/children's programming. No one who actually cares about making the stuff is interested in broadcast TV anymore, so these requirements are filled by outside companies who will run any old poo poo and sell it to networks. IIRC the company responsible for Vortexx's replacement block has similar deals with several other networks, probably because they're the only ones interested.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

They always seemed to hate DC stuff seeing how they screwed with the scheduling of stuff like JL back in the day.

They also decided to hate Gendy with the stuff they did to Samurai Jack :smith:

I dunno, giving Genndy four seasons to do his avant-garde sci-fi art project seems pretty generous to me.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ThermoPhysical posted:

I never got into Samurai Jack, what all did CN do to it? Is that why Genndy left?

CN didn't do anything to it; it had a decently long run but was never particularly successful. Genndy left to do more work in the film industry after Sym-Bionic Titan ended.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

They gave it 4 seasons then cancelled it. It didn't get an ending.

I heard that Genndy didn't really have an ending in mind when he was doing the show. If he did, he sure didn't seem interested in getting there.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
After tonight's episode I'm convinced that Clarence is secretly based on my life in elementary school.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Cartoon Network is making a new Powerpuff Girls series for 2016.

Not too surprised about this, considering this year's special felt like a test run for new episodes. I liked the special, I'm curious to see if they'll use the same CG art style.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
One of the head writers of Clarence has some scathing stuff to say about Skyler Page. This post gives me hope that the show can survive without Page, and it also feels good to know that nothing that made the show good came from him.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Sounds like Skyler's already been fired.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
This Skyler Page stuff just keeps getting sadder and sadder. Sounds like dude has some serious issues.

e: more stuff http://emilord.tumblr.com/post/90707412751

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 4, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

I think it's been canceled anyway, so you might not have to run the risk of seeing it by accident.

According to this post, they're going to continue the show without Skyler. It also sounds like the network was firing Skyler for being crazy in general, and the sexual harassment was the last straw that broke the camel's back.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Uncle Grandpa is returning next Thursday, replacing new episodes of Regular Show. It's not going anywhere.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
TTG is amazing. It gives no fucks, in the best way possible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think "censored" is a bit if an exaggeration. It wasn't super graphic or anything, but it was definitely unambiguous and way more than I expected CN to approve.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Acne Rain posted:

Here's Proto-Over the Garden Wall, since you know, Over the Garden Wall.

It was released with three pilots for new series that were not picked up. Which I will not link to. Maybe later. I don't know the circumstances or anything it's just nice to see more Over the Garden Wall and I'd rather talk about that for a bit before talking about how the new pilots were twee-quirky overload and why the hell was Lakewood Plaza never continued to a full series.

I think Lakewood Plaza might still be happening, Ian JQ has hinted towards it a few times.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I think a big issue with Korra was that it came out well after ATLA had grown a huge fanbase, and so the writers (a lot of which didn't return for the new show) spent more time indulging those fans than actually telling a good story.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd also agree that the quality of shows in general has definitely increased in recent years, although I couldn't say exactly why. Is it because it's cheaper and easier now to make good animation without needing to own a sweatshop?

I'd say that it's because there's been more of a shift back towards storyboard-driven shows created by indie artists. Chowder and Flapjack sort of started that trend, but virtually the entire landscape right now was shaped by Adventure Time and the crew that worked on it.

Also, I'd say that there was absolutely a dip in quality around the mid-2000s, where CN just kept pumping out bland forgettable trash. Remember Camp Lazlo? Squirrel Boy? Class of 3000? My Gym Partner's a Monkey? That show about Puffy?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Camp Lazlo was such a bland vanilla-paste nothing of a show. One of my biggest disappointments as a child was being a huge Rocko fan and desperately trying convince myself that it was funny.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

Someone at Cartoon Newtork had to have been a Puffy AmiYumi fanboy/fangirl or something. It felt like they were everywhere for a bit: they had their own show (well, a show based on them), they did the Teen Titans theme song. A lot of their stuff was on the little spots and commercials they had between shows. It was kinda weird. Not even necessarily bad, just... strange.

IIRC, that show was the pet project of Sam Register, the head of CN at the time who was a huge fan of the band.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

Nickelodeon I wouldn't be surprised to see collapse as a network within the next 5-10 years really(possibly the rest of Viacom as well, as I've heard they haven't been doing so hot the last couple of years)

I think Nickelodeon really became a victim of its own success. They've been milking the Spongebob/Schneider train for so long that they've totally forgotten how to develop and market successful new series. Spongebob and FOP will run forever because Nickelodeon has absolutely nothing to replace them with.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Generator Rex is really bad. It takes a bunch of really cool ideas and character designs and does gently caress all with them for three seasons.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

This is only true of the most recent seasons, really. The first few years weren't really trying to be deep as much as they were trying to be funny/entertaining at all costs (and for the most part they succeeded). The more think-y episodes weren't really common until several seasons in and even those were handled fairly well until Pen left the show. At which point the show stopped trying to be "fun" and started trying to be "important", which imo was a mistake since the show's core strength was never in it's ability to be super artistic.

That said, modern AT isn't really a BAD show. I don't really get some of the gate it seems to generate.

EDIT: Also: In the media's defense, if there's one cartoon that warrants that kind of deeper analysis it's AT.

Pen never left and AT is still good, imo. I'd say the main reason why it doesn't get the massive hype it used to get is because of Rebecca Sugar leaving. She provided a lot of the quirky "feelsy" emotional style of writing that made the show explode with the tumblr crowd and when she moved onto her own show that crowd followed her. In her absence, I'd say that AT isn't a worse show, just a way different show that's changed in ways that are really (imo) rewarding but polarizing. I think the main thing that pisses a lot of people off about modern AT compared to SU is how obtuse the show is nowadays.

Steven Universe is really upfront; it wears its heart on its sleeve, is super consistent tonally, and the plot progresses in a really straightforward manner that makes the show conducive to all sorts of tumblr speculation. Adventure Time feels more like a clearinghouse for all sorts of avant-garde ideas rather than a tightly planned story, and as a result the show's themes and plot progression are couched in all sorts of strange metaphors, with actual plot developments being an afterthought to convey those themes. I don't think either approach is better or worse, and I like how AT and SU have a strange yin-yang relationship with each other.

I guess what I'm saying is that I enjoy the average episode of SU more in the moment, but I find myself more interested in AT in the longterm.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

They also refuse to let the show evolve in any meaningful way. Jakes kids are probably the most egregious example but the one that pissed me off the most was them giving Fin his arm back. It was an awesome chance to explore Fin's character dealing with a dissability that they wasted because they were afraid to keep his character design changed for too long. Which is BS because people would have been stoked to see him running around with a robot arm.

This is actually the exact thing I was talking about earlier. Anyone who thought that story arc was supposed to be about Finn having a super cool robot arm forever and ever was completely missing the point, and too caught up in cosmetic changes and bullshit lore speculation to see the bigger picture.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

It was bad storytelling. Not because Fin didn't get a cool robot arm (though I really wanted it and all the "lore" seemed to foreshadow that he would), and not because they sacrificed plot and lore for subtext and symbolism (which they did). It was bad because it broke the fundamental rule of storytelling that it's more interesting to watch a character struggle than it is to watch them succeed. You as a writer ALWAYS make the protagonist's situation harder for them (unless the story is ending or your setting them up for a fall). Fin loosing his arm limited him and fundamentally changed the way the show would progress, which by extension made both him and the show more interesting. Having him be magically healed not only undid all of that but also had the side effect of projecting the message "We're complete pussies and are afraid to have real consequences for our character's actions". So yeah, gently caress that decision.

And no, it doesn't matter if this was designed to serve some deeper symbolic metaphor. Characters and narrative are like the foundation of a story's house. If they're not strong from the get-go anything you build on top will inevitably fall apart.

I think it's supposed to be a metaphor for the pain he felt loosing his Dad? Though if that's the case it falls apart because you don't actually "heal" those kind of inner wounds much like you don't actually "heal" a severed arm. You just sort of cope and learn to make the best of the situation.

Hey! You know what would have been a really good symbol of both Fin coming to terms with his jerky dad and his lost body part? A loving ROBOT ARM!!1!!

Finn losing his arm wasn't the beginning of a new conflict/arc for Finn. On the contrary, it was the climax of an ongoing arc that had been going on for several seasons (technically even longer). I'm on my phone so I don't want to type that much but the tl;dr version is that the arc is primarily about Finn maturing as a person and becoming self-reliant. The climax of Breezy isn't "yay he has his arm back!", it's "Finn realizes that he no longer needs validation from his father or from other women in his life, and by recognizing what he truly wants in life, he can find true happiness". Finn's arm is merely a visual metaphor for his growth through the series, with the amputation itself being purely metaphorical and temporary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Jsor posted:

The thing I don't get is why Scooby-Doo. I just mean, how did Scooby-Doo survive when almost everything else didn't? Sure, every now and then they'll make a random Flintstones or Tom and Jerry movie, and Loony Toons gets rebooted sometimes. Disney makes a Mickey short every 5 years if they feel like it, but I feel like Scooby-Doo has this really bizarre tenacity, where it just never stops getting new series or movies. I just wish I understood why this one franchise in particular keeps coming back. I'm sure it must move merchandise, but that just moves the question to "why does this franchise have such a good ability to sell poo poo?"

Never underestimate the power of a talking dog.