Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Thinking about it again, I am a bit unsure if it's actually one sided. Luz was kinda obsessed with befriending her and is acting nervously dorky around her. On the other hand they're like the only two people who love that presumably trashy fantasy series and they are both giant nerds, so I guess that is a big incentive to befriend someone. Also Luz is the outspoken POV character but did not mention anything of the sort. Of course she might just not realize it.
But Amities feelings are downright obvious and it's basically impossible that this isn't overtly intended by the author.
They're kinda sweet together, and there are some great facial expressions, so I don't mind.

It is interesting how Amity has basically hogged most of the character development and backstory. Especially since she was introduced like some generic mean girl archetype. We know roughly as much about her as about Eda. And honestly, we barely know anything about Luz or her past. I guess it's because you can fill in the blanks with generic human upbringings.

Any sort of affection or attraction is definitely a one sided thing by Amity it seems like, but she seems to be a fairly repressed person with high expectations in upbringing that her older siblings seem to have shirked (or also suffer under and escape via being troublemakers of their own).

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, there's functionally no external difference between close platonic friendships and young romance without any active sexual aspects, especially at the age where everyone is extra awkward and uncomfortable about every interaction and its greater social context, and they might not even have the concepts carved out separately in their minds anyways. Owl House is Y/A as hell, so who knows what's gonna happen. It's not surprising people have latched onto it in the same way they do with other Y/A stuff.

There's definitely a lot of this though. Luz might only understand romance in other people and not in herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7FySIfypLc

I guess this is part of the reason why Milo Murphy's Law hasn't had new eps in a while. Still seems sorta weird that it'd got another movie so long after the series ended, but I guess it's still popular.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

...Why, though?

Like, death of the author aside, the last go at it was pretty universally panned as being awful. And a revival is just going to bring more attention to John K’s history of being a sex pest for people who weren’t already familiar with that.

Like Bevis and Butthead and Clone High are beloved at different levels so revivals for them make some sense. But, tmk, I don't know if there's anyone exactly fond of Ren and Stimpy.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mycot posted:

But hey they're reviving Ren and Stimpy arghghblarg.

Ren and Stimpy is heading for Comedy Central like the Bevis and Butthead and Clone High revivals not Nick. Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon are all Viacom properties though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Wasn't Fast Forward just like, a season of the 03 show?

Yeah. they ended up coming back to the present afterwards iirc

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah. Just dang. Also Speculation: So Hazel is either actually a denizen meant for Grace crafted to look like a person or Hazel is some sort of strange hybrid

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cockmaster posted:

Hell, I was expecting Simon to at least follow Scar's example and be like "I totally did my best to save her, but she slipped and fell, honest!". But nope...

Simon's never shown the ability to be outwardly duplicitous and it made sense for him to not hide it at all.

These five episodes have definitely given the audience some interesting nuggets on the backgrounds of our two Apex heads. Grace obviously came onto the train to deal with her parents' perfectionism in dance and how it isolated her. Her bonding with Hazel running her number down was indicative of her beginning to fully accept and bond with others. It's not clear why Simon came on the train yet, but obviously his abandonment by the Cat (which she obviously regrets) pushed him into his full blown hatred of the Train Denizens. He may have already had preexisting abandonment issues which were exacerbated by it but that's not been shown.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

the speed that amity's character went from "haughty rival" to "comically in love with the protagonist" in owl house is neckbreaking but i can't say i dislike it

Its a pretty standard cliche at this point

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobulus posted:

I feel like we'll definitely see Grace change her tune this season (and maybe go home?), but it's very open-ended about Simon. Obviously he's very attached to her, and he's really attached to the Apex structure they've set up, but I couldn't tell you which he would pick if he was forced to choose, which it seems like he will in a few episodes.

Simon's abandonment issues will be put to the brink if Grace "abandons" him and the Apex and that's probably the most dramatic outcome. Since he'll lash out the most in that way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Amity is now transparently into Luce to an extreme degree. It's almost a bit much despite the events of last episode

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/DanaTerrace/status/1294848978530385920

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Forget Amity, we need more characters interacting with Hooty, the real star of the show.

There's gonna be a Hooty unbound episode where he's able to move about independent of the house and it'll be hilarious/horrifying.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's gonna turn out Hooty is some sort of powerful elder god trapped in the house as Hooty and has long gone mad and forgotten about his past glory.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

Infinity Train released 3 more episodes and they are not playing around. I hope Owen and the crew get to make more seasons. Seems like they really want to continue it.

This series should be nominated for awards. Holy poo poo. Everything is coming down around Simon. The girl he likes is keeping secrets from him. The person he idolized is not who he thought they were. He abandonment seems like a fairly simple thing though, but even for a 10 year old it obviously hurt and he just never got over it.

Also, the return of Amelia and her new role and how she's connected to Hazel. But Amelia definitely tried to create a fake child using DNA of her dead boyfriend.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No.

I think it doesn't help that iirc, anime doesn't necessarily do 'seasons' like cartoons, especially long-running stuff. I think with Pokemon, people prefer to instead divide it up by region, or rather what game that that the story is loosely adapting. (I'm not sure they ever did a full on filler region like the Orange Islands again) Similar to Dragon Ball split up into 'Sagas' of varying length.

Actually, Dragon Ball is a pretty good comparison, complete with the movies being of questionable canon (though they do tend to fit better into the show; 2000 certainly fits in with the Orange Islands arc) and generally self-contained stories.

Long running series like Pokemon or DB or One Piece are fairly atypical from most anime. Most anime have their contract for some length, usually one or two calendar seasons (cour) and then they're done. If the series is popular enough they get another season/series with an appended name to reflect that it's a continuation of the previous one. Presumably it's due to difference in how their broadcast contracts works compared to the US.

Longer running series seem to operate with an indefinite contract where they're allowed to keep making episodes until the company producing it or the creators see fit to end. They're allowed to rebrand or rename as needed. Part of the terms of the contract may also be that if they officially cease production or something, even with the intent to start back up at a later date, that may violate the contract. There allso may be something related to time slots, but that might not be relevant since I only know that issue with Super Sentai/Kamen Rider and them competing (and losing) against Pokemon in the same time slot. Those types of long running series are mostly a thing of the past though. At least for long running manga adaptations, but there's still a number of series that still go week to week with production like One Piece of Detective Conan/Case Closed. They're a dying breed, of course and may possibly be the last of their kind. Pokemon is a little different as it's not an adaptation and is' probably more like another animated mainstay of Japanese TV, Sazae-san

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 21, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Are you high or something, Pokemon is too an adaptation

It's not adapting a manga series like One Piece or Detective Conan do. I mention that in the line before. Are you high?

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 21, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Just binged Infinity Train to day and all I can say is gently caress Simon! I can't remember the last time a show has made me hate a character this much. Definitely not looking forward to his eventual redemption.

I think Simon's gonna go the same way like Amelia where he'll be broken down and be sent away or flee on his own, but his final fate may be unknown while we get to see Grace either exit or start her path to exiting. And if we do see Grace actually leave the train, we might get to see what happens to someone who spends more than a token amount of time on the Train

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thelaughingman posted:

So far there are no plans for a forth season, I think.

It's up in the air atm. The restructuring in ATT/WB/etc. probably being part of it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

TV-PG is a pretty permissive rating. :shrug:

the TV- ratings are all fundamentally up to a network's S&P rather than any central governing body, but generally you can get away with lethal violence in TV-PG provided there's no graphic on-screen gore, you can have light swearing, and you can have sexual dialogue and drug references as long as they're not explicit.

the lack of a conventional network S&P to constrain them is probably how they've pushed it so far

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's interesting to know that Luz's glyph magic is useless in her world and is something based on the intrinsic nature of the Boiling Isles. Otoh, the magic of the denizens of the Boiling Isles (at least with Lilith) works without issue.

Regarding the emperor, he's clearly trying to unite the worlds in a malicious version of the ending of Star vs. though the endgame to what this unification is supposed to do is unclear

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well they explain pretty early on that the witches/residents of the Boiling Isles get their magic from their hearts (though they say it in a joke so it's easy to forget) because everyone has weird magic sacs of bile attached to their hearts. Luz doesn't have that, but apparently there's just kind of magic in the Isles themselves, probably because of the titan they're built on, so she's probably drawing on that with her glyphs. So back in "our" world, the glyphs are useless, but Lilith's (and probably every other character's) literally born with it.

However, Eda does say back in her first magic lesson that witches used magic before the bile sac days, so maybe sooner or later Luz will figure that out.

Two things that'd be interesting to speculate: One, could Luz start mixing glyphs? Two, is it possible her glyphs, if big enough be more potent whatever another witch could put out? Like, draw a glyph around the whole island or something (or maybe the islands in the shape of a glyph)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Senerio posted:

Click for source, and the reverse outfit swap.

I was expecting Luz as Catra and Amity as She-ra when you said reverse

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/OmyChan2/status/1300865708390309888

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T-man posted:

Kill the part of you that's afraid and post in cspam. That said, there is no Trump joke better than the man himself.

Don't deliberately kill parts of yourself. That's effectively self harm. If you like constant nihilism and dark humour, that's fine, but it is not for everyone and shouldn't ever be.

mycot posted:

I think political comedy just doesn't work anymore. Being a corrupt weird-looking idiot with too much money is part of The Brand, in a society where Brands are the most important thing.

Political comedy as a medium of humour (rather than as a political attack) really only works when the side making the jokes is acting in good faith and the said being joked about can react to it similarly. It requires a level of :decorum: on both sides for it to be funny in a way that isn't just straight up being an rear end in a top hat or demeaning the subject (which is why conservative comedy fails). Mind, some people like being assholes and making comedy of that tone, and okay. But then those people are assholes and they can get bent.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 30, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Didn't know what to check after Owl House, so I started the new Ducktales and it owns.

You've been missing out if you only got to the new Ducktales now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New season of Carmen Sandiego is up it looks like.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finished the five released episodes of Carmen Sandiego S3 and some of the episodes had the VILE faculty acting a bit out of character. Just weird goofy Halloween themed hijinks while they're in their new base and it's just strange. It's all being led by the same person rather than at least rotating them. It's oddly cartoonish and juvenile and OOC.

Three new VILE Agents are introduced including one voiced by Dante Basco (he does not scream about HONOR). His character and his partner are fairly uninspiring so far, but the third agent is given a stronger personality and thus stands out very well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I really miss hand drawn animation. drat.

That's such a good clip, but it feels so lifeless

The clip is missing a proper joke somewhere other than "Jurassic Park reference," but I assume it's not really meant to have a gag as it's just an announcement promo.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

When the biggest media company in the country who have the whole business model of building a franchise that just stretches things out forever for all time are very conspicuously averse to shelling out a couple bucks to extend a successful project because of some old rule from before they were the biggest media company in the country, that seems like a sign that the company at large doesn't care much about this little subdivision.

Also by my understanding, they get most of their revenue from the theme parks, and that's been the biggest driver of their whole IP katamari damacy thing, and I don't think I've ever heard about them taking their own home-grown IPs from TV cartoons to use in the parks. Maybe I don't know enough about the theme parks though.

Parks is actually second to media. Media revenue sourcing being defined as:

quote:

a) Affiliate fees - Fees for "ESPN, Freeform, NatGeo, etc". from distributors & other service providers

b) Advertising - Revenue from ads on "ESPN, Fox, and other Disney networks".

c) TV/SVOD distribution - Fees from the use of Disney's television programs and productions

With all things programming, without actual numbers on ratings and costs, we don't actually know how successful the show is Gross or Net. There's not really good information to determine how financially successful a show is without digging into filings. Popularity does nominally corelate with revenue, but it's unclear as to the actual dollars and cents of the project and the projected revenue if a 4th season was greenlit versus the cost of retaining the cast. There's also likely internal issues at play as well since that division is likely separate from the Marvel and Star Wars brand divisions so they don't get as much leeway on gambling on another series's 4th season in light of previous failures.

But this is all speculation.

Parks is its own large division that's separate from programming with its own head and hierarchy just as the programming and sales divisions have. Their own decision making on how to approach hospitality and parks stuff is basically its own thing and the IPs Disney has are generally more a resource that they can pull from to increase revenue such that they're more incentivised to focus on more broadly and internationally popular things across multiple demopgrahic segments rather than drilling into particular focuses. The main US parks would likely never see a specifically Ducktales themed section or ride, though they might have at least a single place in the Paris park/resort to try and woo the more local European segment since the US parks are more internationally focused compared to the non-US parks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I only watched Winx once or twice, but yeah that is absolutely different from what I remember. Like the original show was some animated kids show that aired on Kids' WB if that gives you an idea.

Winx is a joint Italian/American production that's run since 2004. It's its own small institution at this point. Nickelodeon of all companies helped revive it after its original 5 year run and there's a comic of it that's been running in Italy since the series premiered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winx_Club

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Drampa: probably the best dragon pokemon in like four generations.

Definitely the comfiest, but idk about "best"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

sliami posted:

Wow carmen sandiego szn 4 is out and I didn't know until i looked on netflix a few days back. Sickening

I didn't know until you posted about it, so thanks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
First ep of new Carmen Sandiego season was solid. On second ep right now. There seems to be less of the VILE HQ antics which is good. Zack's doofiness is definitely wearing on me a little though

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Running through season 4 and nearing the end. It definitely has more legs than S3 and it's obvious that they were part of the same production batch. Just odd that they were split. S3 had a subtheme of masks going on that got carried through to the end and the start of S4 seemed to have one about Gold before breaking off to a small arc about an ancient treasure and then a final denouement arc. It's definitely not bad but where S3 seemed to just meander without much development of the overarching plot, S4 seems to run through story beats like a freight train.

It makes me curious as to what's going on behind the scenes.

Edit: It's actually extremely frustrating for me that ACME has remained perpetually twelve steps behind everyone in the plot

Edit 2: This seems like series finale stuff. And looking it up on Wiki, it is. That explains the differences in S3 and S4. and probably means they were different batches, with the latter prompted to tie up loose ends and abandon the initial plans they had for the season.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jan 18, 2021

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I'm imagining Mojo done in the Detective Pikachu style, but old and decrepit (chimps only live to 40), and fulfilling a Hannibal Lecter role...and it's not terrible.

Same but Jojo and the Professor living and bickering together like an old married couple.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

So they greenlit this, but Green Arrow and the Canaries was just too much for them? :confused:

They'd probably be doing a lot less complex stuntwork and can make up the gaps with CG better. given they have super powers.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can't wait for the Netflix or CW take on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

CW needs to try doing Kamen Rider again.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really understand the logic behind making an origin story series to explore the backstory of a teenager. Not much further back you can get.

It'll either be a grittier/more serious version of A Pup Named Scooby Doo or it'll be Young Sheldon but a procedural.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Can't wait for them to make a Velma show aimed at adults and still not give her a girlfriend.

Mystery Inc. tried okay.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Very weird to see a spinoff aimed at a younger demographic who probably have never seen the original show but I have no objections to it or anything. Also I guess that this is the start of CN's push towards entering the preschool programing market so we'll probably be seeing a lot of announcements like this.

Jessica's also a weird character for that since she's in the same mold of Anais of Gumball where despite being a pre-schooler or w/e with some of that maturity and taste, she's also fairly intelligent beyond the main characters. Jessica's a bit more realistic in depiction where it's more that her interests are definitely more high brow and relate to a few specific things but don't overlap with Craig's own areas of excellence.

I should probably watch more of the show though, but it's definitely good that it's getting more seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Amity House

https://twitter.com/OmyChan2/status/1370439353336528898